65" Smart QLED 8K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2019 model)
Our take on the Samsung QN65Q900R by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
8K resolution means you can sit close to the screen and enjoy a beautifully detailed picture without seeing any pixel "dots."
The 8K TV era has begun!
The first 4K TVs arrived just six years ago, and I don't think any of us here at Crutchfield expected to see 8K TVs this soon. But Samsung's QN65Q900R is the real deal, with over 33 million pixels in its 65" screen. It can display four times the detail of a 4K TV. But there's much more to the story than just millions more pixels. Check out the other advances at work inside this remarkable TV.
Powerful 8K upscaling ensures that all your sources will look their best
There's currently no 8K* content available via disc, broadcast, or streaming service, but don't worry. Optimizing the upconversion of lower-quality video sources was a top priority for Samsung's engineering team.
The QN65Q900R's high-powered 8K AI Upscaling tackles upscaling in a smart new way. A built-in database analyzes millions of sets of low- and high-resolution images to create a more realistic picture, and uses machine learning to develop new algorithms.
Its picture-improving functions start with noise reduction — especially the compression noise you get with streamed video. Other features include detail creation, edge enhancement, and removing "jaggies" from curved and angled edges.
This upscaling works its magic whether you're watching the set's built-in streaming apps, connected via HDMI to a disc player or set-top box, or even mirroring content from a phone or tablet.
Stunning detail illuminated by impressive brightness
The QN65Q900R's full-array local-dimming LED backlight features a grid with numerous independently controllable dimming zones, to deliver ultra-precise lighting. The combination of deep blacks and brilliant highlights creates a forget-you're-watching-TV sense of realism — especially when viewing HDR-enhanced content.
As a rule, 4K TVs with good HDR performance are expected to be able to produce 1000 nits of peak brightness. The QN65Q900R can hit peaks much higher than that.
See a billion shades with Samsung's quantum dot color
Samsung continues to refine its quantum dot technology. They found a way to tune the output of the atom-sized quantum dots so that they produce purer reds and greens, allowing the TV to cover nearly 100% of the P3 color space — the standard for digital cinema and HDR movies. QLED TVs can reproduce over a billion total shades.
The QN65Q900R also delivers 100% "color volume." Color volume is a way of measuring color performance that factors in picture brightness. Most TVs lose some color accuracy as the picture gets brighter. But QLED maintains full color accuracy and saturation at any brightness level. Colors pop like they do in real life.
One cord, no clutter
If you're after a clutter-free look, Samsung's QLED models are a great way to go, especially if you want to wall-mount your TV. Instead of connecting your Blu-ray player, cable box, and other video sources directly to the QN65Q900R, you connect them to the supplied One Connect Box switching hub. A single super-thin cable connects the hub to the TV, providing signals and power, for a clean, uncluttered look.
Some cool new smart TV capabilities
In an industry first, Samsung's 2019 QLED TVs will be able to access and play your iTunes® movie and TV show library. You'll also be able to buy or rent content from iTunes directly through an app built into the TV. The TVs will also include support for Apple® AirPlay® 2, so you'll be able to stream content wirelessly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® to the biggest screen in your home.
Samsung's slender OneRemote is one of the smartest remotes we've seen. It automatically detects, identifies, and controls your connected devices and content. Use the OneRemote's microphone to access Bixby, the TV's built-in intelligent voice assistant. Bixby makes it easy to change channels, search for content, or even ask about the weather, using only your voice. Just click voice recognition on your remote or smartphone, and Bixby is at your command.
The QN65Q900R is also compatible with Google Home and Amazon Alexa voice assistants.
*Manufacturer's note: Upscales to 8K resolution (7,680H x 4,320V/33.2 megapixels). Supports native 8K content based on current 8K streaming, connectivity and decoding standards. Future and certain third-party standards not guaranteed or may require additional device/adapter purchase. Complimentary HDMI 8K/60p (uncompressed) upgrade to be provided by Samsung (contact Samsung customer support).
- 64.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- 8K screen resolution (7680 x 4320 pixels)
- 8K AI Upscaling intelligently remasters content so you can enjoy today's content in stunning 8K detail
- Quantum HDR 24X (HDR 10, HDR 10+, and HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content from connected sources or streamed via the TV's built-in apps
- Quantum Processor 8K — Samsung's most powerful video processor delivers stunning picture quality
- Direct Full Array 16X backlight features zones of precision-controlled LEDs for excellent contrast and shadow detail
- Motion Rate 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- Quantum Dot technology provides 100% Color Volume — full color with full brightness
- 10-bit support enables over a billion shades of color
- Ultra Viewing Angle panel technology reduces glare and enhances color to provide a vibrant picture no matter where you sit
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps, and may require a subscription)
- iTunes Movies and TV Shows app lets you play titles from your iTunes library, and rent or buy titles from Apple's video library (firmware update coming in March)
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- built-in Bixby intelligent voice assistant
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- built-in Apple® AirPlay® 2 allows wireless streaming from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® (firmware update coming in March)
- TV-to-mobile and mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
Connections (on One Connect Box):
- 4 HDMI 2.0b
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- One Connect Box dimensions: 15-3/8"W x 2-11/16"H x 7-5/16"D
- One Invisible Connection™: 16.4-ft. ultra-thin proprietary cable to connect hub to TV (carries signals and power)
- built-in 4.2-channel speaker system (60 watts total power)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- the TV's audio outputs will be disabled when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speakers; you can choose to have the TV's built-in speakers play or not
- OneRemote with built-in microphone for voice control
- Ambient Mode helps the TV blend into your room when it's wall-mounted, or shows screen savers featuring photos, artwork, or info like weather
- cable management: back of TV and pedestal legs provide channels for neatly routing cables to the TV
- detachable dual-footer stand
- wall-mountable (2019 No Gap Wall Mount bracket is recommended)
- 57-1/4"W x 33"H x 1-7/16"D (35-7/16"H x 12"D on stand)
- weight: 67.2 lbs. with stand; 65 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why Shop With Us?12 Reasons.
Features and Specs
Frequently Compared With
65" Smart QLED 8K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2019 model)$4,997.99
65" Smart QLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
65" Smart QLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
(Includes FREE gift card) 65" Smart OLED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)