About the Samsung BD-J5700
Looking for a streaming box? Consider this Blu-ray player
Looking for a streaming box? Consider this Blu-ray player
The BD-J5700 has a compact, curved design and packs a plethora of entertainment options.
These days I use Netflix® to catch movies and binge-watch TV shows more often than I pop in a physical disc. It's still great to have the Blu-ray option, though — and the killer picture and sound that goes with it. With the Samsung BD-J5700, you don't have to compromise.
When using the built-in Wi-Fi®, you have access to popular streaming video services like Netflix or Hulu®. Plus you can put in that cartoon DVD the kids always watch, or the sweet digitally restored Blu-ray version of your favorite flick.
Solid picture and sound for movies, shows, and music
The BD-J5700 helps make the most of your high-definition TV. It plays Blu-ray titles in 1080p HD and offers video upconversion for standard DVDs. You'll open up the capabilities of your home theater speakers as well — lossless surround sound formats are supported, including Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD®.
Want to throw on some tunes? Play a CD, stream from a music service like Pandora®, or wirelessly connect to a compatible networked PC via DLNA technology and play songs from your computer.
- plays standard Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs and rewriteable discs
- built-in Wi-Fi for streaming video and music from dedicated apps, including Netflix, Hulu, YouTube™, and Pandora (subscriptions required for some services)
- stream photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- remote control
- no front-panel display, menu options display on your TV screen
- plays Region A Blu-ray discs and Region 1 DVDs
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p, with video upconversion for DVD
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- front-panel USB port for use with external storage devices
- Anynet+ simplifies control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- HDMI output
- coaxial digital audio output
- Ethernet port for wired network connection
- 11-7/16"W x 1-9/16"H x 8-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BD-J5700/ZA
What's in the box:
- Blu-ray disc player
- Remote control (AK59-00149A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- User Manual
- Netflix brochure
More details on the Samsung BD-J5700
Features & specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus |
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD||No|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix,Vudu,Hulu,Amazon|
|Built-in Wi-Fi||802.11 b/g/n|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||1080p, 1080i, 720p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||None|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Compatibility: The Samsung BD-J5700 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types.
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE|
|DVD||DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW|
Blu-ray Disc: Blu-ray provides these key features and advantages:
- 1080p Video Resolution: Blu-ray disc delivers full 1080p video resolution to provide pristine picture quality.
- 25GB/50GB Capacity: Blu-ray disc offers up to 5x the capacity of standard DVDs; 25GB for single layer disc and 50GB for dual layer disc.
- 7.1ch Audio: Blu-ray disc provides as many as 7.1 channels of native, uncompressed surround sound for crystal-clear audio entertainment.
- Enhanced Interactivity: Enjoy such capabilities as seamless menu navigation, bonus features, and network/internet connectivity.
- DVD Compatible: Blu-ray disc players enable you to continue to view and enjoy your existing DVD library.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. This Blu-ray player is region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware/Software Upgrade: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. The player's Software Upgrade menu allows you to upgrade the player's software & firmware for these performance improvements & additional services. You can upgrade via Network or USB.
Note: Visit the Samsung Download Center for the latest Firmware/Software updates.
USB Port: The Samsung Blu-ray disc player features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows playback of a variety music files, photo files, and video files stored on a USB mass storage class device. Your USB device must be formatted in FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS. The USB port also allows you to perform software upgrades using a USB flash drive. In addition, it can be used to add more local storage for BD-Live content.
Note: A USB device consuming more than 500mA requires a separate power supply device for normal operation.
Media File Formats: The Samsung BD-J5700 Blu-ray disc player supports the following video, photo, and music files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD-R discs; or downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive.
|Video||MPEG, MKV, WMV, AVI, AVCHD||1920 x 1080 max resolution|
|Photo||JPEG, HD-JPEG, PNG||15360 x 8640 max resolution|
|Music||MP3, WMA||8-48kHz sampling rates; 5-355 kbps bit rate|
HDMI 1.4: The Samsung Blu-ray player is equipped with an HDMI (v.1.4) output. HDMI simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio all in one cable. The HDMI output resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p when playing a DVD or Blu-ray Disc; also 1080/24p when playing a compatible BD.
- 1080/24p: Movies are typically filmed at 24 frames per second and some Blu-ray Discs use the same frame rate. If your TV will accept a 1080/24p signal, the BD-J5700 can pass the signal in its native form, without converting the video.
- 4:4:4 Max Color Subsampling: The Blu-ray player's HDMI output will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of high-definition video.
Note: The Blu-ray player provides no analog video outputs.
Video Up-conversion + Progressive Mode: When connected to your TV using the HDMI output, the BD-J5700 scales the output of a standard DVD signal to HD-compatible 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The unit also supports 480p and 480i output if your television is not HD-compatible. The Samsung Blu-ray disc player also provides a Progressive mode to improve picture quality when viewing a DVD movie.
Deep Color: Deep Color allows more accurate color reproduction with deep color depth. The BD-J5700 must be connected to a Deep Color compatible TV via HDMI for this feature to function.
Video Settings: The Samsung Blu-ray disc offers a variety of video adjustments to fine tune the TV's picture image.
- TV Aspect: You can adjust the video output of the BD-J5700 to match the screen-type of your television. You can choose from 16:9 Original, 16:9 Full, 4:3 Letter Box, and 4:3 Pan-Scan.
- Picture Adjustments: This function enables you to adjust video
quality when the player is connected to your TV.
- Standard: Suitable for most viewing applications
- Movie: Suitable for watching movies
- Dynamic: Increases sharpness
- User: Lets you adjust the sharpness and noise reduction function manually
BD Wise: BD Wise is Samsung's latest inter-connectivity feature. When you connect Samsung products with BD-Wise to each other via HDMI, the optimum resolution will be set automatically.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Dolby Digital/DTS Surround Decoding: The BD-J5700 can decode the following Dolby Digital/DTS surround formats; Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio. The player must be connected to a Dolby Digital/DTS surround AV receiver which also supports these same formats via coaxial or HDMI input.
Digital Output/Surround Mode Chart: You can set the unit's Digital Output (HDMI or coaxial) to match the capabilities of your connected AV receiver.
|Disc Type||Audio Stream||PCM||Bitstream (Unprocessed)||Bitstream (Re-encode)|
|HDMI||Coaxial||HDMI||Coaxial||HDMI or Coaxial|
|Blu-ray||PCM||up to 7.1ch||2ch||up to 7.1ch||2ch||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|Dolby Digital||up to 7.1ch||2ch||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|Dolby Digital Plus||up to 7.1ch||2ch||Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|Dolby TrueHD||up to 7.1ch||2ch||Dolby TrueHD||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|DTS||up to 6.1ch||2ch||DTS||DTS||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|DTS-HD HRA||up to 7.1ch||2ch||DTS-HD HRA||DTS||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|DTS-HD HD MA||up to 7.1ch||2ch||DTS-HD MA||DTS||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|Dolby Digital||up to 5.1ch||2ch||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital|
|DTS||up to 6.1ch||2ch||DTS||DTS||DTS|
PCM Downsampling: This feature lets you choose to have 96kHz PCM signals downsampled to 48kHz before they are output to your AV receiver.
Downmixing Mode: This feature lets you select the multichannel downmix method that is compatible with your stereo receiver. You can choose to have the player downmix to normal stereo or to surround compatible stereo.
Dynamic Range Control: When movie soundtracks are played at low volume or from smaller speakers, the system can apply appropriate compression to make low-level content more intelligible and prevent dramatic passages from getting too loud. This is only active when a Dolby Digital signal is detected.
Digital Audio Output: The Blu-ray disc player features a digital coaxial (RCA) output. The player's audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the coaxial digital output; bitstream (Dolby Digital or DTS) or 2-channel PCM.
Note: The Blu-ray player provides no analog audio outputs.
Wired & Wireless Network Connection: You can set up the Samsung Blu-ray player so that it can access your home network and online Samsung Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired connection (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (built-in WiFi). You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually. You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods; PBC (WPS), Auto Network Search, One Foot, or Manually.
- Supported WiFi networks include IEEE 802.11A/B/G/N wireless LAN networks.
- Security setup types include WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), and WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES).
Note: Samsung recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps for standard definition or 10 Mbps for high definition
Opera TV: Samsung's BD-J5700 Blu-ray player incorporates Opera TV software for access to a variety of online entertainment, social networking, & news apps (over 250 streaming apps are available).
- Preinstalled Apps: The following entertainment, news, and social networking applications are pre-installed with large on-screen icons for easy selection.
- Opera TV Store: The Opera TV Store is an online storefront of exciting web apps optimized for TV. Opera TV Store apps run from the cloud and suit any screen size or resolution. App categories span Video (the most popular category), Music, Social Networking, Games, News, and Information; making it easier for the user to discover and enjoy the extensive app portfolio. You can also search for apps by New, Popular, or All. The Opera TV Store lets you use the TV's remote control to navigate, select, and launch apps easily. Popular Opera TV Store apps include Facebook, Viewster, and more.
- My Apps: The "My Apps" home screen displays all installed apps in a user-friendly layout with 4-way on-screen navigation from the player's remote.
Note: Online applications and content are subject to change without notice.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The BD-J5700 features an Ethernet port and built-in WiFi to connect to the internet via your home network, and features USB (type-A) port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's USB slot in order to download content from BD-Live.
Curved Compact Design: The Samsung BD-J5700 Blu-ray player features a sleek compact chassis with a distinctive curved design to match today's curved flat-panel televisions.
On-Screen Display Only: The Samsung Blu-ray player features an on-screen menu through its HDMI output. There is no front-panel display.
Quick Start: Quick Start speeds up the load time on movies, so discs start faster after they're inserted into the Blu-ray player. The Samsung Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 0.5 seconds in Quick Start mode (7.3 seconds in normal mode). In Quick Start mode, it takes approximately 14.1 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback (23.7 seconds in normal mode).
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
Energy Star: Energy Star qualified products meet strict energy-efficiency specifications set by the government. This Samsung Blu-ray player meets the Energy Star criteria for energy use. See energystar.gov for more information.
Parental Lock: The Parental Lock function works in conjunction with Blu-ray Disc/DVDs that have been assigned a rating which helps you control the types of Blu-ray Discs/DVDs that your family watches. There are up to 8 ratings levels on a disc. The rating levels are protected by a customer user 4-digit password. You can also restrict access to inappropriate web pages by allowing access only to the web sites you have registered.
Screen Saver: If you leave the player in the stop mode for more than 5 minutes without using it, a screen saver will appear on the TV. If the player is left in the screen saver more for more than 20 minutes, the power will automatically turn off.
Wireless Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on Samsung TVs. The remote controls the TV's power on/off, input select, and volume up/down. This remote control also has Braille points on the Power, Play, Enter, and #5 buttons for the visually impaired.
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): Anynet+ is a convenient feature that offers linked operation with other Samsung components that have the Anynet+ feature, and lets you control those products with one Samsung remote control. To operate this function, you must connect this player to an Anynet+ Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
Keyboard & Mouse Compatible: The Samsung Blu-ray player will also support a USB-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) through its front-panel USB port. This make web browsing much simpler.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
7 questions already asked