About the Samsung HT-J5500W
Add atmosphere to movies, shows, and sports
Add atmosphere to movies, shows, and sports
Your television's high-definition picture can take you on a trip to beautiful landscapes, fantasy worlds, and even the big game. But when the sound comes up flat, it's hard to really feel like you're part of the action. The Samsung HT-J5500W is an easy surround sound solution that'll help you suspend disbelief. You get a full complement of five home theater speakers and a subwoofer, all in one box. Hear vehicles zooming toward you from the left, echoes ringing out behind, or crowd murmurs and cheers all around. You'll also enjoy clear dialogue, thumping special effects, and lush soundtracks.
Entertainment on board with Blu-ray, Bluetooth®, and Wi-Fi
No need to purchase a separate Blu-ray player or streaming box thanks to this system's versatile media player/receiver. Enjoy gorgeous high-def picture quality with standard and 3D Blu-ray discs, and get crisp-looking playback with DVDs upconverted to 1080p. Built-in Wi-Fi lets you play movies, shows, and music from streaming services like Netflix®, Hulu®, YouTube™, and Pandora®. Wirelessly mirror the display of your smartphone or tablet on your TV's big screen using Miracast™ technology. You can also stream music from compatible devices via Bluetooth.
Straightforward setup with fewer wires
The HT-J5500W includes a wireless connection module for the rear speakers. Rather than running wires across the room, you instead plug the module into an outlet behind your seating area and hook up your speakers to it. Connect the front speakers and sub to the receiver using supplied speaker wires. The receiver plugs into your TV via an HDMI connection (HDMI cable not included). Presets like "Music," "Cinema," "Night," or "Power Bass" let you adjust the sound for the occasion.
- home theater system with 3D Blu-ray player/receiver, 5 speakers, and a subwoofer
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless streaming with apps, including Netflix®, Hulu® (subscriptions required), and YouTube
- built-in Bluetooth® for easy wireless music streaming with compatible devices
- screen-mirroring with Miracast-compatible smartphones and tablets
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- plays 3D Blu-ray discs, standard Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs, and MP3 CDs
- video upconversion for standard DVD playback via HDMI
- built-in Dolby® and DTS® decoding
- 165 watts x 2 for front and wireless rear speakers; 170 watts for center channel speaker and subwoofer
- 1 HDMI port with Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- USB port for connecting optional thumb drive
- Ethernet port for connection to a wired home network
- audio inputs include RCA stereo and optical digital
- receiver: 16-15/16"W x 2-1/4"H x 8-13/16"D
- front speakers: 3-5/16"W x 6-3/4"H x 4"D (each)
- center channel speaker: 10-5/8"W x 3-7/16"H x 4"D
- rear speakers: 3-5/16"W x 5-1/8"H x 4"D (each)
- subwoofer: 10"W x 11-3/4"H x 10"D
- MFR # HT-J5500W/ZA
What's in the box:
- Integrated Blu-ray player/receiver (HT-J5500W)
- Wireless receiver module (SWA-7000)
- Passive subwoofer (PS-EW5-3)
- 2 Front speakers (PS-JS2-1)
- Center speaker (PS-JC2-1)
- 2 Rear speakers (PS-JS1-1)
- Remote control (AH59-02533A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Two 5' AC power cords
- Five 13' lengths of speaker wire (with a proprietary connector on one end and bare-tinned wire on other end)
- 10' length of speaker wire (with a proprietary connector on one end and bare-tinned wire on other end)
- FM wire antenna
- User Manual
- Quick Installation Guide
Samsung HT-J5500W reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung HT-J5500W
Disc Compatibility: The Samsung HT-J5500W Blu-ray Home Theater System is compatible with many disc types.
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD 3D, BD-R, BD-RE|
|DVD||DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW|
Blu-ray Disc: Blu-ray disc is a next-generation, optical disc format the enables the ultimate high-definition entertainment experience. Blu-ray disc provides these key features and advantages
- 1080p Video Resolution: Blu-ray disc delivers full 1080p video resolution to provide pristine picture quality.
- 25GB/50GB Capacity: Blu-ray disc offers up to 5x the capacity of standard DVDs; 25GB for single layer disc and 50GB for dual layer disc.
- 7.1ch Audio: Blu-ray disc provides as many as 7.1 channels of native, uncompressed surround sound for crystal-clear audio entertainment.
- Enhanced Interactivity: Enjoy such capabilities as seamless menu navigation, bonus features, and network/internet connectivity.
- DVD Compatible: Blu-ray disc players enable you to continue to view and enjoy your existing DVD library.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The HT-J5500W is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware/Software Upgrade: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your system. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. The unit's Software Upgrade menu allows you to upgrade the system's software & firmware for these performance improvements & additional services. You can upgrade in four ways; Internet, USB, Disc, or Downloaded file. Visit the Samsung Download Center for the latest Firmware/Software updates.
Quick Start: Quick Start speeds up the load time on movies, so discs start faster after they're inserted into the system. The Samsung Blu-ray home theater system has a start-up time of approximately 0.3 seconds in Quick Start mode (7.1 seconds in normal mode). In Quick Start mode, it takes approximately 12.7 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback (20.7 seconds in normal mode).
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray system initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the system's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
USB Port (w/ ripping): The Samsung Blu-ray HT System features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows playback of a variety of audio files, still-image files, and video files stored on a USB mass storage class device (formatted in FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS). The system even allows you to rip CD-Audio to a connected USB msc device in MP3 format. The USB port also allows you to perform software upgrades using a USB flash drive. In addition, it can be used to add more local storage for BD-Live content.
Note: A USB device consuming more than 500mA requires a separate power supply device for normal operation.
Media File Formats: The Samsung HT-J5500W supports the following video, photo, and music files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD-R discs; or downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive.
|Video||AVI, AVCHD, MKV, MP4, MPEG 1/2, WMV||max resolution of 1920 x 1080|
|Photo||JPEG, PNG||max resolution of 15360 x 8640|
|Music||MP3, WMA, FLAC||sampling rates of 8-48kHz; bit rates from 5-384kbps|
Parental Lock: The Parental Lock function works in conjunction with Blu-ray Disc/DVDs that have been assigned a rating which helps you control the types of Blu-ray Discs/DVDs that your family watches. There are up to 8 ratings levels on a disc. The rating levels are protected by a customer user 4-digit password.
HDMI 1.4: The Samsung Blu-ray home theater system is equipped with an HDMI (v.1.4) output. HDMI simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio all in one cable. The HDMI output resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p when playing a DVD or Blu-ray Disc; also 1080/24p when playing a compatible BD.
Note: The Samsung HT-J5500W provides no analog video or audio outputs.
Video Up-conversion + Progressive Mode: When connected to your TV using the HDMI output, the HT-J5500W scales the output of a standard DVD signal to HD-compatible 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The unit also supports 480p and 480i output if your television is not HD-compatible. The Samsung Blu-ray HT System also provides a Progressive mode to improve picture quality when viewing a DVD movie.
Full HD 3D: The Samsung HT-J5500W supports 3D playback of high-definition 3D Blu-ray discs when connected to a 3D-Ready HDTV via HDMI, along with wearing a pair 3D vision glasses. You can select from three 3D modes to suit your viewing needs.
- Auto: You can choose whether to watch a 3D Blu-ray disc in 3D or 2D mode before playing a 3D Blu-ray disc. It is automatically played in 2D mode if your TV cannot support 3D contents.
- 3D: The 3D Blu-ray disc is played in 3D mode at all times. The original video signal of the 3D image is displayed without any conversion. If a TV cannot support 3D Blu-ray discs, the playing screen will be black.
- 2D: The 3D Blu-ray disc is played in 2D mode at all times. Choose this to view a picture without 3D effects or when a TV cannot support 3D Blu-ray discs.
Deep Color: Deep Color allows more accurate color reproduction with deep color depth. The system must be connected to a Deep Color compatible TV via HDMI for this feature to function.
Picture Settings: The system offers various Picture Settings to match your TV and viewing content.
- Screen Size: You can enter the actual screen size (up to 116") of your TV, so that the system can adjust the image according to the screen size and display an optimal image.
- TV Aspect: You can adjust the video output of the system to match the screen-type of your television. You can choose from 16:9 Original, 16:9 Full, 4:3 Letter Box, or 4:3 Pan-Scan.
- Picture Modes: This function enables you to adjust video quality when the system is connected to your TV. Choose from Normal, Movie, Dynamic, or User. The User mode lets you manually adjust brightness, contrast, color, and sharpness.
BD Wise: BD Wise is Samsung's latest inter-connectivity feature. When you connect Samsung products with BD-Wise to each other via HDMI, the optimum resolution will be set automatically. It will also automatically optimize internet video by boosting image quality to sharpen imagery and ensure text is legible. BD Wise will even resize the video ratio so that video edges are not cropped off.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
5.1Ch Amplifier w/ Crystal Amp Technology: The Samsung HT-J5500W Blu-ray Home Theater System features a 5.1 channel amplifier which delivers 165-watts per channel to the front & rear speakers, and 170-watts per channel to the center-channel & subwoofer speaker. Samsung's Crystal Amp technology filters sound sources twice to minimize distortion and produce clear audio that sounds exactly the way it was meant to be heard. Resulting in audio that's rich, realistic, and accurate.
Surround Modes: The Samsung HT-J5500W can decode Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II surround formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS 96/24
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: 7.1 channel surround formats will be downmixed to 5.1-channels since this system has no surround back speakers.
Sound Modes: You can enjoy various surround sound mode effects. Choose from Cinema (optimized for movies), Music, (suitable for music), Game (designed for gaming), Multi-Stereo (surround from 2-channel sources), Power Bass (bass boosted), Loud (improves sound versus output level), Night (optimized for night time when listening at low volume), and User (provides user adjust EQ).
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the Blu-ray home theater system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: With most televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will pass Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or USB port. However, the ARC-enabled HDMI input can only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog.
Analog + Digital Connections: The Samsung HT-J5500W features both analog (stereo RCA) and digital (optical) audio inputs.
- Optical Digital Input: The Samsung HW-H5500W is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input to connect your non-ARC enabled TV, satellite/cable box, or game console. The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- Aux Input: The Samsung HW-H5500W also features a stereo RCA input to connect your analog television or other analog audio component.
Note: To get the best audio performance out of the Samsung HW-H5500W, use the system's HDMI output and optical digital input to connect your TV and satellite/cable box separately. Connect the system's HDMI output to the ARC-enabled HDMI input on your TV and connect your satellite/cable box directly to the HW-H5500W's optical digital input. By connecting your satellite/cable box directly to the soundbar system, you'll gain Dolby Digital/DTS decoding.
Audio Settings: The Samsung HT-J5500W offers the following audio adjustments.
- Speaker Setup: You can adjust the level (+/-6 dB) and distance (1-30') of each speaker.
- DRC: You can use the DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) function to enjoy Dolby Digital sound when watching movies at low volume during the night. DRC compresses the audio to make the loudest sounds quieter and the quietest sounds louder.
- AV Sync: Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms (in 25ms increments).
Wired & Wireless Network Connection: You can set up the Samsung Blu-ray HT System so that it can access your home network and online Samsung Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired connection (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (built-in WiFi). You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually. You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods; PBC (WPS), Auto Network Search, One Foot, or Manually.
- Supported WiFi networks include IEEE 802.11 a/b/b/n wireless LAN networks.
- Security setup types include WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), and WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES).
Note: Samsung recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps for standard definition or 10 Mbps for high definition
WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Samsung Blu-ray Home Theater System without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported
Opera TV: Samsung's HT-J5500W incorporates Opera TV software for access to a variety of online entertainment, social networking, & news apps (over 250 streaming apps are available).
- Preinstalled Apps: The following entertainment, news, and social networking applications are pre-installed with large on-screen icons for easy selection.
- Opera TV Store: The Opera TV Store is an online storefront of exciting web apps optimized for TV. Opera TV Store apps run from the cloud and suit any screen size or resolution. App categories span Video (the most popular category), Music, Social Networking, Games, News, and Information; making it easier for the user to discover and enjoy the extensive app portfolio. You can also search for apps by New, Popular, or All. The Opera TV Store lets you use the TV's remote control to navigate, select, and launch apps easily. Popular Opera TV Store apps include Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- My Apps: The "My Apps" home screen displays all installed apps in a user-friendly layout with 4-way on-screen navigation from the system's remote.
Note: Online applications and content are subject to change without notice.
AllShare Services: The Samsung HT-J5500W offers AllShare Cast screen mirroring and AllShare/DLNA wireless media streaming.
- AllShare Cast Screen Mirroring: AllShare Cast is a proprietary "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible AllShare Cast Samsung mobile device through the Blu-ray HT System and to your TV. This allows you to view pictures and videos that are playing on your compatible Samsung smartphone or tablet on your TV screen. No wireless router or access point required.
- AllShare/DLNA Certified: The Samsung Blu-ray system's AllShare function, along with its DLNA Certification allow you to watch videos (MPEG), photos (JPEG), and listen to music (MP3/WMA) saved on your Windows 7/8 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the TV via its Ethernet (LAN) port. This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Note: For AllShare/DLNA, Windows PCs with XP and Vista installed require Samsung's PC Share Manager software, which can be downloaded for free from the Samsung Download Center. Not compatible with older Windows OS versions and Mac.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The HT-J5500W features an Ethernet port and built-in WiFi to connect to the internet via your home network, and features USB (type-A) port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's USB slot in order to download content from BD-Live.
FM Tuner: The Samsung BD receiver features a built-in FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 15 FM preset stations. This receiver does not feature an AM tuner.
Wireless Receiver Module: The Samsung HT-J5500W includes a wireless receiver module which allows you to transmit the system's rear-channel audio wirelessly (via RF) to the surround speakers. The wireless receiver module is placed in the back of the room next to your surround speakers (the wireless receiver module will require and AC outlet). The included speaker wire then connects from the wireless receiver module to the rear speakers, saving your from having to run speaker wire all the way to the front of the room to plug into the back of the Blu-ray receiver. The wireless receiver module features a built-in 165W x 2ch amplifier to power the rear surround speakers.
Rear Satellite Speakers: The rear satellite speakers feature a 2" full-range driver inside an acoustic suspension (sealed), gloss-black enclosure with a non-removable metal grille. The rear satellite speakers are designed to be mounted vertically at the rear of your room on either side of your listening position. The rear satellite speakers can be placed on a shelf or optional speaker stands. Each satellite speaker also features a key-hole slot which allows you to mount the speakers on a wall. The satellite speakers feature spring-clip terminals to attach the included speaker wire.
Front Satellite Speakers: The front satellite speakers feature a single 2" full-range driver inside a bass-reflex, gloss-black enclosure with a front-firing round port and non-removable metal grille. The front satellite speakers are designed to be mounted vertically at the front of your room on either side of your television. The front satellite speakers can be placed on a shelf or optional speaker stands. Each satellite speaker also features a key-hole slot which allows you to mount the speakers on a wall. The satellite speakers feature spring-clip terminals to attach the included speaker wire.
Center Channel Speaker: The center-channel speaker features two 2" full-range drivers inside an acoustic suspension (sealed), gloss-black enclosure with non-removable metal grille. The center-channel speaker is designed to be mounted horizontally under or over your TV. The center-channel speaker can be placed on a table-top or shelf. The center-channel speaker also features two key-hole slots which allow you to mount the speaker on a wall. The center-channel speaker features spring-clip terminals to attach the included speaker wire.
Passive Subwoofer: The passive subwoofer features a rear-firing 5" woofer inside a bass-reflex enclosure with a down-firing flared port. The passive subwoofer features a vinyl-wrapped black cabinet with a non-removable cloth grille. The passive subwoofer features spring-clip terminals to attach the included speaker wire. The subwoofer crossover is fixed inside the system's receiver.
Speaker Terminals: The Samsung integrated Blu-ray player/receiver and wireless receiver module feature color-coded 2-prong proprietary connectors for all speaker output connections (Front, Center, Surround, and Subwoofer). In addition, the system includes color-coded speaker wire for simple connection of the system.
IR Remote w/ Anynet+: The Samsung HT-J5500W includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the Blu-ray home theater system. Anynet+ is a convenient feature that offers HDMI-linked operation with other Anynet+ Samsung products and HDMI-CEC compliant components; and control those products (up to 12) with one remote control.
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The Samsung HT-J5500W features built-in Bluetooth with support for A2DP wireless music streaming and AVRCP wireless music control. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC/Phone, Mac computer/laptop and more to the Samsung HT-J5500 system. The HT-J5500W's remote can be used to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) of your streamed music; advanced music navigation will still need to be done through your Bluetooth-enabled device. Song/artist information is not displayed through the HT-J5500 system; you'll still need to use your Bluetooth device to view song/artist info.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Samsung HT-J5500W.
Screen Saver/Auto Power Off: If you leave the system in the stop mode for more than 5 minutes without using it, a screen saver will appear on your TV. If the product is left in the screen saver mode for more than 20 minutes, the power will automatically turn off.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
13 questions already asked