About the Samsung HT-P1200
The unique and stylish HT-P1200 delivers stunning near-high-definition DVD video and full surround sound for exciting home entertainment. Its sleek DVD player/receiver doesn't sit on a shelf like most components it can be wall-mounted for a space-saving installation, or perched next to the TV using the included stand. The 5 surround sound speakers and subwoofer combine to produce wraparound audio effects from your DVDs, VHS tapes, TV shows, and video games.
The 'P1200's slimline DVD player can "upconvert" standard DVD signals, improving them to gorgeous, near-HD images. The upconverted signals can be sent to any one of the growing number of TVs with digital video inputs. These connections are known for providing impressive image quality you'll see greater clarity and finer detail with every disc. And even if your TV doesn't have a digital video input, the 'P1200 has an array of analog video outputs so you can still enjoy crisp DVD playback.
This system places you right in the middle of the on-screen action with engaging surround sound. Its sleek floor-standing speakers, each driven by 130 watts, provide engaging home theater effects. And this system is a great choice for music lovers. You'll enjoy clean, high-resolution sound with stereo and multichannel Super Audio CDs (SACDs) and DVD-Audio discs. These music discs provide warmer, more detailed sound than regular CDs. Multichannel recordings use all 5 speakers and the subwoofer to produce an enveloping 360° soundstage.
Large Item Special Shipping: This item will be delivered to the door of your house or apartment. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses. Free return shipping not available with this model.
- digital video upconversion
- HDMI digital interface (selectable 480p/720p/1080i output)
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD-Audio, SACD, audio CD, CD-R & CD-RW, MP3 CDs, and JPEG picture CDs
- built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Dolby Pro Logic® II decoding, for surround sound from DVD, VHS, and stereo sources
- selectable progressive-scan mode for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- Anynet System Control Solution (integrated control of Samsung components)
- Auto Sound Calibration (by listening to itself with the supplied microphone, the system automatically audjusts the speakers to simulate 9.1 channels of sound)
- 2 optical digital audio inputs
- video output for TV (composite, 480i/480p component video, HDMI)
- tuner with 15 FM presets
- 7-3/16"W x 19-3/4"H x 3-3/16"D (wall-mounted), 47-1/4"H with included stand (footprint is 13")
- Note: TVs with a DVI input require an adapter, sold separately.
- 13/16" balanced dome tweeter and 2-13/16 midrange driver
- 4-3/16"W x 51-5/8"H x 3"D (stand footprint is 11-7/8")
- 13/16" balanced dome tweeter and 2-13/16 midrange driver
- 21-3/4"W x 4-5/16"H x 3-1/8"D
- 6-channel amplifier (130 watts x 5, plus 150 watts for subwoofer)
- 8" driver
- bass-reflex enclosure
- 10-11/16"W x 19-5/8"H x 16-1/4"D
- remote control (multibrand for TVs)
- includes wall mount and stand for DVD player/receiver
- 1 composite video and 2 Anynet cables included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- MFR # HT-P1200
What's in the box:
- One large box containing three smaller boxes (DVD receiver box/Speaker System box/Subwoofer box):
- The DVD receiver box contains:
- DVD player/receiver
- AH59-01527D wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 1 Stand base (for DVD player/receiver)
- 1 Stand pole (for DVD player/receiver)
- 1 Bracket (for DVD player/receiver)
- 4 Thumb screws
- 8 Self-tapping screws
- Instruction Manual
- Quick Use Guide
- The Speaker System box contains:
- Four PS-RP1200 front/rear speakers
- 4 Front/rear speaker stands
- One PS-CP1200 center channel speaker
- Auto Sound Calibration microphone with attached 23' cable
- 1 FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- 9.75' DIN audio connection cable (has a round 13-pin connector on each end)
- Two 9.5' "Anynet" cables (each cable has a minijack stereo connector on each end)
- 9.5' Video cable (has an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- Three 12.75' lengths of speaker wire (each length has a color-coded 2-pin connector on one end and tinned wire on the other end)
- Two 55' lengths of speaker wire (each length has a color-coded 2-pin connector on one end and tinned wire on the other end)
- 8 Machine screws
- 1 Plastic wire hanger
- 2 Self-adhesive rubber bumpers
- Product Registration Card
- The Subwoofer box contains:
- PS-WP1200 powered subwoofer
Samsung HT-P1200 reviews
I purchased this unit for the purpose of having the option to wallmount and/or use the integrated stands. It worked out very nicely. My only concern about the setup was that I would have preferred the DVD unit be a bit more universal so it could be free standing without the stand or the wall mount. Overall, very aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Sound quality is crisp and clear. I must admit that the simulated 9.1 appears to be the units main purpose (for music & movies). Installation and Operation of unit is simple and clearly marked. Now it is just a matter of time till I familarize myself with the various DSP settings and their purpose.
15 of 19 found this helpful
Relatively speaking, you cant beat this system. For less than a grand you get a high quality upconverting DVD player, a full featured tuner, tremendous surround sound, great style, and flexiibility. The plug and play USB host feature is a God-send. I plug my computer into it and listen to my entire music collection as well as watch online television and surf the web in style. The features are easy enough to use and the set-up takes just minutes. Now Ill get to the thing everyone worries about in a "Home theater in a box"... sound. The tower speakers are monolithic, however when sitting in the low cushy couches of our time the sound stage can seem a bit high up. Definately mount them on the wall if you have a flat panel TV as this allows you to pick the height and improve overall imaging of the system. Oh yeah, the sound... The highs are clear and crisp (symbol crashes on Carmina Burana were intense) and the midbass seems more defined than on the Bose systems. This is probably mostly due to the use of larger cones on the main speakers (rather than the tiny cone housed inside a Bose cube). The low end can hold its own, but dont expect to wake the neighbors more than one house down. This is where I would have liked to see Samsung provide an RCA out on the back of the sub to add an optional passive woofer for increased bass response and effect. Oh well, its home theater in a box... you cant expect a 12" 400 watt woofer. Im out of space.. buy it
23 of 29 found this helpful
More details on the Samsung HT-P1200
System Overview: The Samsung HT-P1200 includes a floor-standing/wall-mountable DVD/CD player/receiver with built-in decoders for Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic II. The system includes 2 front floor-standing speakers, 2 surround floor-standing speakers, a matching center channel, and a powered subwoofer. The supplied remote controls the system, plus multiple brands of televisions. The system has a 1 year parts and labor warranty; 90 days for commercial use.
HD Upconversion: The HT-P1200 has the ability to upconvert a standard DVD signal to HD-compatible 480p, 720p, or 1080i and pass it through the HDMI output; upconverted signals are not passed by the component video output.
USB Host Plug & Play: The rear-panel USB port allows you to connect your computer or portable digital music player and enjoy your digital music collection through this system.
Auto Sound Calibration: By setting the auto sound calibration function just once, you can have the unit automatically recognize the distance between speakers, levels between channels, and frequency characteristics to create a 5.1-channel sound field optimized for your environment.
Audio D/A Converter: This unit includes an audio digital-to-analog converter capable of providing 192 kHz/24-bit and 96 kHz/24-bit resolution. The 192 kHz/24-bit and 96 kHz/24-bit capabilities of this unit allow it to play DVD Video discs with 96 kHz/24-bit audio tracks and DVD-Audio discs with sampling rates of 192 kHz.
Progressive Scan: The HT-P1200 can output either interlaced or progressive scan video signals. Instead of splitting each video frame into two sequential fields like interlaced scanning, progressive scanning displays the entire frame in a single sweep. Where a standard DVD player's 480i output displays 30 frames (60 fields) per second, a progressive-scan player's 480p output displays 60 full frames per second. Progressive-scan picture quality is more film-like, with more fine detail and less flicker. To enjoy progressive-scan video signals, the connected TV must have component video inputs that support progressive video.
Multi-Channel DVD-Audio Playback: DVD-Audio is a multi-channel format used for high resolution audio recording. This unit can decode and play DVD-Audio discs with a sampling rate up to 192 kHz with a 24-bit word length.
MP3/WMA Playback: The unit is compatible with CD-R discs with MP3 files recorded in ISO 9660 and Joliet formats only, with a recommended data rate of 128 Kbps or higher. It can recognize up to 500 tracks and 300 folders on a single CD. This unit can also play discs with WMA files, but no specifications are provided in the manual.
JPEG Playback: The unit can play back CD-R discs with JPEG still image files recorded in ISO 9660 and Joliet formats. It can recognize up to 9,999 images on a single CD.
DivX Playback: The unit can play back discs with DivX files. DivX is a video file format developed by Microsoft and is based on MPEG4 compression technology to provide audio and video data over the Internet in real-time. MPEG4 is used for video encoding and MP3 for audio encoding so that you can watch a movie at near DVD-quality video and audio. Optional DivX software allows you to create and play your own DivX videos. Video-on-demand movies are also commercially available to buy or rent.
Surround Modes: The HT-P1200 features 5.1-channel decoding for DVDs with Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks. It also incorporates DSP Modes for listening to 2-channel sources in realistic 5.1-channel surround sound. The following surround modes are available:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Pro Logic II
- Panorama (adjust 0 or 1)
- Center Width (adjust 0 to 7)
- Dimension (adjust 0 to 6)
- Pro Logic
- DSP Modes
- Super 5.1
- Concert 1
- Concert 2
- Jazz club
- Virtual 9.1
- Ex. Movie
Fast/Slow Playback: While playing back a DVD-Video disc, SACD, CD, or MP3 disc, you can increase the playback speed to 2x, 4x, 8x, or 32x normal speed in either direction. You can decrease the playback speed to 1/2x, 1/4x, 1/8x normal speed in either direction on a DVD-Video disc. On a CD or MP3 disc, sound is heard only at 2x speed.
Zoom Function: During DVD-Video disc playback, you can zoom (screen enlarge) in at 1.5x, 2x, or 3x normal size. You can move the cursor in 4 directions to move to the area you want to enlarge.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set playback restrictions for discs using Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Wallpaper: While watching a DVD-Video disc or JPEG CD, you can set an image you like as background wallpaper. In the menu, you can choose this user wallpaper or the original wallpaper (Samsung logo).
Audio Settings: The audio menu allows you to set the following audio parameters:
- Speaker Size: choose small when supplied speakers are used, or none when no speakers are installed
- Speaker Delay Time: using distance calculations, you can set the amount of delay for the center and rear speakers
- Sound Edit:
- Speaker Levels: you can adjust the level of the center, surround, and subwoofer output
- Front/Rear balance: you can adjust the balance of the front/rear speakers between 00 and -06 or Off
- DRC (Dynamic Range Compression): when viewing Dolby Digital-encoded movies, you can compress the range between the softest and loudest sounds. The DRC can be adjusted on a sliding scale between Off and Full in 1/8 increments.
FM Tuner: The HT-P1200 includes an FM tuner with automatic (preset and seek) and manual tuning. You can preset up to 15 FM stations. In an area with poor FM reception, you can switch from stereo to mono to improve reception.
Sleep Timer: You can set the unit to shut itself off after a preset amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 10, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120, or 150 minutes.
Display Dimmer: The brightness of the unit's display can be adjusted to one of two settings. The settings include Dark and Bright.
Wall-mountable DVD Player/Receiver: The DVD player/receiver can be mounted on the supplied stand or mounted to the wall using the supplied wall-mount bracket.
Powered Subwoofer: The powered subwoofer features a down-firing 8" woofer in a bass reflex enclosure.
Front/Surround Speakers: The system come with floor-standing front and surround speakers. Each speaker has a set of spring clip terminals for use with the supplied speaker wire. Each enclosure is covered by a non-removable, black cloth grille.
Center Channel Speaker: The matching center channel speaker has a set of spring clip terminals for use with the supplied speaker wire. The enclosure is covered by a non-removable, black cloth grille.
Speaker Mounting: The front and surround speakers each have two keyhole slots on the back of the enclosure. This allows you to wall-mount the front and rear speakers directly to a stud. The center channel speaker has two keyhole slots, also making it wall mountable.
Note: The front/rear speakers must be removed from their stand before wall mounting.
Video-shielding: The front speakers, surround speakers, and center channel speaker are video-shielded, allowing them to be placed near your television without causing picture distortion.
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface): The unit's HDMI simplifies A/V connections by carrying uncompressed digital video and audio all in one cable. This unit features HDCP copyright protection technology, and must be connected to an HDCP-compliant device. The output resolution can be set to match the capability of the monitor or projector.
USB: The rear- panel USB port allows you to connect your computer or portable digital music player and enjoy your digital music collection through this system.
Speaker Connections: The unit's speaker terminals feature color-coded, proprietary male connectors. These connectors match the female speaker connectors attached to the supplied speaker wires. The color codes are White (Left front), Red (Right front), Blue (Rear left), Gray (Rear right), and Green (Center).
Headphones: This unit features a 3.5mm (1/8") female minijack output on the side panel for headphones. When headphones are plugged into this jack, the speakers are muted.
Anynet Jacks: This unit has Anynet input and output (minijacks). Using the Anynet function, the system can be controlled from an Anynet-enabled Samsung television, using the television's remote control.
ASC In: This minijack allows you to plug in the supplied Auto Sound Calibration microphone.
- DVD Player/Receiver:
- On Stand: W=12.938", H=47.0", D=12.938"
- Mounted on Wall: W=7.184", H=19.688", D=4.604"
- Front/Rear Speakers:
- On Stands: W=11.813", H=51.618", D=11.813"
- Mounted on Wall: W=4.183", H=28.188", D=3.071"