About the Samsung HW-K850
Take your TV's sound to new heights
Take your TV's sound to new heights
Dolby Atmos sound can elevate your movies and shows — literally, by adding a height dimension. It's made believers out of many of us home theater fans here at Crutchfield. But not everyone has the space for a full Atmos home theater setup. Enter the Samsung HW-K850 sound bar. This bar and sub combo fits neatly into your living room and delivers three-dimensional Dolby Atmos sound, including exciting overhead effects.
Samsung designed and developed this sound bar in their new state-of-the-art audio lab in California. It's a pretty ambitious feat. Just consider that Atmos was originally developed for movie theaters with dedicated in-ceiling speakers. Samsung's audio experts were up to the task. The HW-K850 is an easy way to enjoy the immersive experience of Atmos.
You can add wireless surround speakers and even more overhead sound with the Samsung HW-K950 sound bar system.
Décor-friendly design, cinematic performance
The sound bar measures just above three inches high, and can be wall-mounted or placed on a stand below your TV. You can connect it to your TV via HDMI. The bar has 11 built-in speakers, including a series of full-range drivers and tweeters to cover the front stage (left, center, and right).
There are also two up-firing drivers that reflect sound down from the ceiling toward your listening position, to expand the soundstage and create overhead effects. Samsung's special processing can add height to movies and TV show soundtracks, whether they're mixed for Atmos or not. The included eight-inch subwoofer adds hard-hitting bass and connects wirelessly for a clean, convenient setup.
Built-in Wi-Fi for music streaming, multi-room audio, and optional surround speakers
You might invite friends over to show off the HW-K850's movie sound, but they can stick around for some tunes. Wi-Fi lets you play music wirelessly using the Samsung Multiroom app for Apple® or Android™. You'll have access to your music downloads, as well as streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and more. With just a few taps of your thumb, you can fire up a sweet playlist while you prepare snacks or mix drinks for your guests.
The '850 also communicates with Samsung Radiant360 speakers (sold separately). You can place these speakers in other rooms and control them all with the same phone or tablet. As an added bonus, you can even use a pair of them as surround speakers, giving you full wraparound Atmos sound without running wires.
Built-in Bluetooth® for another way to play
The Samsung HW-K850 also features built-in Bluetooth. This means you can stream audio from pretty much any mobile app you want — including YouTube® and SoundCloud — through the system. It also makes it easier for your guests to pair up if they have something they want you to hear.
- sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- delivers 3.1.2-channel sound with support for Dolby Atmos
- Atmos offers heightened soundstage and overhead effects
- 11 built-in speakers
- two up-firing drivers are angled to reflect sound off the ceiling for overhead effects
- special tweeters spread listening sweet spot wider
- built-in Wi-Fi for music streaming and wireless multi-room audio with additional Samsung Radiant360 speakers
- Samsung Radiant360 speakers can be used as wireless surround speakers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Surround Sound Expansion Plus adds height channel sound to non-Atmos movies and shows
- 6 listening modes: Standard, Music, Movie, Clear Voice, Sports, and Night Mode
- Night Mode prevents drastic changes in volume
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- front-panel display shows selected input
- 2 HDMI inputs
- both support 4K video and Anynet (HDMI-CEC)
- HDMI output with Audio Return Channel
- HDMI cable included
- optical digital audio input
- 47-5/8"W x 3-1/4"H x 5-1/8"D
- weight: 14.77 lbs.
- 8" woofer
- 162 watts RMS
- bass reflex (ported) enclosure delivers powerful bass response
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 8-1/16"W x 15-3/4"H x 16-3/8"D
- weight: 21.16 lbs.
- free Multiroom app for Apple and Android offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- plays music stored on a mobile device or compatible DLNA server
- support for online music services including Spotify®, Pandora®, Rhapsody®, and TuneIn radio (subscription required for some services)
- 4K and 3D video pass-through via HDMI
- bracket and hardware included for mounting bar to a wall
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HW-K850
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (HW-K850)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (PS-KW1-3)
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- 4' AC power cord
- 59" HDMI cable
- Remote control (AH59-02745A)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Screws
- 2 Spacers
- User Manual
- Mounting template
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Samsung HW-K850 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung HW-K850
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1.2|
|Virtual Surround||Surround Sound Expansion|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||1.0 Dome (3)|
|Midrange||2.0 Cone (2)|
|Woofer||2.0 Cone (2)|
|Enclosure||Sealed (bar),Ported (sub)|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||198|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||162|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Files on Your Network||Yes|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 b/g|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||3-3/16H x 47-11/16W x 5-1/4 D|
|Sound Bar Weight||14.8 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||15-3/4H x 8-1/16W x 16-7/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||21.2 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Dolby Atmos Enabled Soundbar Speaker System: Samsung's HW-K850 soundbar speaker system delivers Dolby Atmos sound from a Dolby Atmos enabled active soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer. Now, you can experience sound that comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail and depth - without having to install over-head ceiling speakers. The HW-K850 is capable of delivering up to 3.1.2-channel Dolby Atmos sound.
Active Soundbar Speaker: The HW-K850's active soundbar speaker incorporates 11 drivers that include forward facing center, front left, and front right channels, along with upward firing Dolby Atmos enabled channels. The soundbar speaker's dedicated center, front left, and front right channels each consist of one tweeter and two midrange drivers. The two dedicated Dolby Atmos channels each consist of one upward firing full-range driver. All 11 drivers are powered by a built-in 198 watt amplifier (18W x 11ch, 4-ohm, 10% THD).
Wireless Powered Sub: The wireless subwoofer is outfitted with a side-firing 7" woofer inside a bass reflex enclosure with rear-firing port that is powered by a built-in 162 watt amplifier (162W x 1ch, 3-ohm, 10% THD). You can independently adjust the volume level of the subwoofer from -6 to + 6, without interfering with the system's overall volume level. The wireless powered subwoofer receives its audio signal wirelessly from the soundbar via 2.4GHz transmission. There are no cables to connect, except the AC power cord for the sub. You can place the wireless powered subwoofer up to 32.8' away from the soundbar. The wireless subwoofer is automatically connected to the soundbar through auto-pairing.
Dolby Atmos: The HW-K850 is capable of delivering up to 3.1.2-channel Dolby Atmos sound. Rather than being constrained to channels, sounds exist as individual entities that are precisely placed and moved in three-dimensional space. A new sensation of height immerses you in the action, creating a full audio atmosphere and realistically depicting objects moving overhead. Dolby Atmos renders everything from dialogue to quiet scenes to whirlwind action with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. It all comes together in sound that excites your senses and inspires your emotions to deliver the full impact of entertainment
Note: To enjoy Dolby Atmos you most connect your Blu-ray player's HDMI output directly to the HDMI input on the HW-K850, because your TV's HDMI ARC jack will not support Dolby Atmos.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Samsung HW-K850 system offers support for Dolby Digital (5.1ch), Dolby True HD (7.1ch), Dolby Digital Plus (7.1ch), and DTS (2ch only)
Sound Enhancements: The Samsung HW-K850 offers a variety of audio adjustments to enhance the system's sound and your listening experience.
- Surround Sound Expansion Plus: Samsung's proprietary Surround Sound Expansion Plus technology upconverts audio content to up to 3.1.2 channels, adding overhead sound dimension to virtually anything you watch.
- Sound Effects: The Samsung HW-K850 offers 6 different sound effects modes (Standard, Music, Movie, Clear Voice, Sports, & Night), depending on the type of content you want to enjoy. The Clear Voice mode enhances dialog and vocals, while Night mode compresses the dynamic range of the soundtrack.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the system's Bass & Treble independently from -3 to +3.
- DRC (Dynamic Range Control): Lets you apply dynamic range control to Dolby Digital soundtracks.
Analog + Digital Inputs: The Samsung HW-K850 wireless audio soundbar system features both analog (3.5mm) and digital (optical) audio inputs.
- Optical Digital Input: The Samsung HW-K850 wireless audio soundbar system's soundbar is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input to connect your television, Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box. The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send a Dolby Digital audio signal when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch PCM from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- Aux Input: The Samsung HW-K850 's soundbar features a stereo audio minijack (3.5mm) input to connect your analog television or other analog audio component.
Note: To get the best audio performance out of the Samsung HW-K850, use the system's HDMI inputs and optical digital input to connect your Blu-ray player, satellite/cable box, and game system. Then connect the system's HDMI output to your TV's HDMI ARC input. By connecting your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box directly to the soundbar system, you'll gain Dolby Digital/DTS decoding from these two sources.
Optional Wireless Rear Speakers: Via the wireless multi-room app on your smartphone, you can even wirelessly connect a pair of Samsung Radiant360 Speakers (sold separately) with the HW-K850 soundbar speaker system to create a 5.1.2ch surround sound system over WiFi. Simply place the soundbar speaker in the front and two Samsung Radiant360 wireless speakers in the rear while following the setup on the multi-room app for a 5.1.2ch surround effect.
HDMI 2.0: The Samsung HW-K850's soundbar is fitted with two HDMI 2.0 inputs and one HDMI 2.0 output (ARC compatible). The two HDMI inputs allow you to connect your Blu-ray player and cable/satellite box directly to the soundbar and then from its HDMI ARC output to your flat-panel TV. The HDMI 2.0 inputs and output support 4K Pass-Through, 3D video, and ARC.
4K Pass-Through: The soundbar's HDMI 2.0 inputs and output can pass 4K ultra-HD video, as well as 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p video.
- 2160p @ 24/25/30Hz - 4:4:4 color sampling
- 2160p @ 60/50Hz - 4:20:0 color subsampling
Note: The soundbar does not offer HDR pass-through. If you have a HDMI source device with HDR capability, you will need to connect it directly to your TV. Audio from the HDR source device will be sent back out to the soundbar via HDMI ARC at only 2ch PCM for many TVs (you will lose Dolby Atmos support and may also lose Dolby Digital/DTS capability).
HDCP 2.2 Compatible: The soundbar's HDMI inputs and output support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
3D Ready: The HW-K850 can pass through 3D video from 3D-ready Blu-ray players to 3D-ready TVs, via HDMI. You will also need compatible 3D-ready glasses and 3D-video content.
ARC: The unit's HDMI output also supports the ARC function. This allows you to connect your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box directly to the system's HDMI inputs and connect the system's HDMI output to your television for audio from the wireless audio soundbar system or your TV. Your TV must also be ARC compatible.
Note: Because with many televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the soundbar directly; and then connect the soundbar's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance
AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a digital HDTV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
Wireless Network Connection: The Samsung HW-K850 offers a wireless (WiFi) network connection which allows you to stream a variety of Internet radio stations, select online music services, and music stored on your smartphone/tablet device or computer/laptop to the soundbar speaker system. It also allows you to setup a multi-room audio system and wireless surround with other compatible Samsung wireless multi-room devices (sold separately). To access these features, you must download the Samsung Wireless Multi-Room App onto your Apple iOS or Android device.
Wireless Multi-Room App: Simply download Samsung's free Wireless Multi-Room app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store onto your Apple iOS device (6.1+) or Android smartphone/tablet (2.3.3+) to stream Internet Radio, select online music services, and your smartphone's stored music library to the Samsung Soundbar speaker system.
- Internet Radio: Get access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- Online Music Services: You also get access to select online music services; like Pandora, iHeart Radio, Rhapsody, Spotify Connect, and Amazon Music. You can even set presets of your favorite Internet radio stations and online music channels.
- Music Libraries: You can stream music stored on your compatible iOS or Android device directly to the soundbar system. You are able to search your device's stored music by Song, Album, Artist, or Genre; you are even able to create and edit Playlists. You'll also be able to stream stored music on your Windows or Mac computer and other DLNA-compliant network storage devices to the soundbar speaker. The system supports compressed music files such as MP3 (up to 320kbps), WMA (up to 320kbps), AAC (DRM-free only), & OGG; as well as non-compressed music files like AIFF (up to 96kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), FLAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit) & WAV (up to 96kHz/24-bit).
Multi-Room Audio: Using Samsung's Wireless Multi-Room app and multiple Samsung wireless multi-room speakers (sold separately), you can create a wireless multi-room audio system which can be controlled from your smartphone or tablet device. The Samsung Wireless Multi-Room app lets you connect, group, and control each of your Samsung wireless multi-room speakers. With the app, you can play one song in one room, different songs from different sources in each room, one song across all speakers, or any combination that fits your mood. Multi-source/multi-room audio can only be done with music from the Internet or your home network; not via Bluetooth or TV SoundConnect.
Network Standby On Function: The Network Standby On function is available if a wireless connection has been properly established between a smart device and the Soundbar. This function turns on the Soundbar automatically when a smart device attempts to connect to the Soundbar via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. If you turn the Soundbar on via a Bluetooth connection, its input mode is set to BT automatically. To turn the Soundbar on via Wi-Fi, you must have the Samsung Multi-room App installed on your smartphone or tablet device.
Auto Firmware Updates: If the Soundbar system is connected to the Internet, it will automatically check for the latest firmware and update when new firmware becomes available, even if it is turned off.
Bluetooth Music Streaming (A2DP): You can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop to the Samsung HW-K850 and enjoy music with high quality stereo sound, all without wires. The HW-K850 does not control your Bluetooth-enabled device; you will continue to control your music from your Bluetooth-enabled device. Song/artist information will also still need to be viewed from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Samsung HW-K850.
Remote Control w/ Anynet+: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-K850 system. Anynet+ is a convenient feature that offers linked operation with other Samsung components (up to 12) that have the Anynet+ feature, and lets you control those products with one Samsung remote control. To operate this function, you must connect Samsung HW-K850 wireless audio soundbar system to an Anynet+ Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
TV Remote Programmable: The Samsung HW-K850 soundbar system can also be programmed to respond to select TVs remote controls. Once programmed, you can control volume up/down & mute with your TV remote.
Auto Power On/Off: The Samsung wireless audio soundbar system offers Auto Power On/Off functionality.
- Power Link (Auto On): The wireless audio soundbar system is automatically turned on when you turn on your TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system with an optical cable.
- Auto Off: If a TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system is off and there is no audio signal, the soundbar system will turn off after 5 minutes.
Wall-Mount or Tabletop Mount the Soundbar Speaker: The soundbar is designed to be mounted directly below or above your flat-panel HDTV in a horizontal orientation. It should be placed directly in front of your main listening position with at least 2" of space above the soundbar for the built-in Dolby Atmos-enabled upward firing drivers. The soundbar can be placed on a shelf or table-top. The soundbar also includes wall-mount brackets which allows you to fix the speaker to your wall.
Wireless Powered Sub Placement: Thanks to its 2.4GHz wireless connectivity, you can place the powered subwoofer up to 32.8' away from the soundbar. There are no cables to connect, except the AC power cord. It is recommended that you placed the wireless powered sub along the same front wall as the soundbar speaker.
1 question already asked