About the Samsung HW-M450
Powerful sound for your new Samsung TV
The Samsung HW-M450 sound bar connects wirelessly to compatible Samsung TVs via Bluetooth
Powerful sound for your new Samsung TV
Our Samsung TV customers often complete their home theater experience with a matching sound bar, like the Samsung HW-M450. And why not? This bar-and-sub combo connects easily, takes up little space, and delivers satisfying sound that you just can't get from even the best TV's built-in speakers.
Slim profile, serious thump
This system packs 320 watts of total power. You'll enjoy clear dialogue and strong special effects when watching your shows or movies. The HW-M450's bar is slim and wall-mountable with the included bracket and hardware.
The included subwoofer provides bass reinforcement. It connects wirelessly, so you have flexible placement options — just remember, you'll need to plug it into an AC outlet. Want to add surround speakers for full wraparound sound? Samsung offers their optional SWA-8500S wireless speaker kit.
Built-in Bluetooth for wireless music, too
Never had a sound bar with Bluetooth? Be warned — your TV setup may just become your main music listening area, too. At least that's what happened at my house. Bluetooth just makes it so easy to pull out your phone and play tunes wirelessly through the powerful speakers and sub.
- slim profile is ideal for wall-mounting beneath a flat-panel TV
- 80 watts RMS x 2 channels
- four built-in drivers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- SoundConnect feature lets you wirelessly connect your compatible Samsung TV to the sound bar via Bluetooth
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- add optional Samsung SWA-8500S wireless speaker kit for full surround sound
- 5 listening modes: Music, Movie, Clear Voice, Sports, and Night Mode
- Night Mode prevents drastic changes in volume
- 35-7/8"W x 2-1/16"H x 2-7/8"D
- weight: 4.4 lbs.
- 160 watts RMS
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure delivers powerful bass response
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 7-15/16"W x 15-3/8"H x 14-15/16"D
- weight: 15.9 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- HDMI in/out with Audio Return Channel
- 3D video pass-through via HDMI (up to 1080p)
- optical digital audio input
- USB port lets you play digital music files from a thumb drive
- bracket and hardware included for mounting bar to a wall
- Anynet (HDMI-CEC) function lets you control sound bar with your Samsung TV's remote
- remote control with subwoofer level control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HW-M450/ZA
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (HW-M450)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (PS-WM30)
- AC Power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- Two 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (AH59-02758A)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 58" Optical digital cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Holders
- 2 Screws
- User Manual
Samsung HW-M450 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung HW-M450
Features & specs
|Enclosure||Selaed (bar),Ported (sub)|
|Pieces in System||2|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||No|
|Control by App||Android|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in (2.1)|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||40-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||160 watts|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||160 watts|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-1/16H x 35-13/16W x 2-13/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||4.4 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||15-7/16H x 7-15/16W x 15-1/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||15.9 lbs|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The soundbar is a self-powered, two-channel speaker which provides enveloping virtual surround sound from a single speaker. The soundbar includes two tweeters and two midrange drivers housed in an acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure. The soundbar features a built-in 160 watt amplifier to drive its speakers (40 watts to each driver).
Wireless Powered Sub: The wireless powered sub receives its low-frequency audio signal wirelessly from the soundbar via 2.4GHz transmission. There are no cords to connect, except the AC power cord. The wireless powered sub features a front-firing 7" woofer inside a bass-reflex cabinet with a front-firing port. The woofer is powered by a built-in 160 watt amplifier.
Surround Sound Decoding: The Samsung HW-M450 soundbar system employs decoders compatible with Dolby Digital (2ch) & DTS (2ch), as well as Samsung's proprietary surround & effect modes.
- Surround Sound Expansions: The Surround Sound Expansion delivers a more realistic and immersive audio experience by adding depth and spaciousness to the movie soundtrack.
- Sound Effects: Select from 5 different sound effects modes (Standard, Music, Movie, Clear Voice, & Sports), depending on the type of content you want to enjoy. The Clear Voice mode enhances dialog and vocals of the soundtrack.
- DRC (Dynamic Range Control): A Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range is compressed making it easier to hear at lower volume levels.
Audio Settings: The Samsung HW-M450 soundbar system provides various audio adjustments to customize your listening experience.
- AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a digital HDTV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
- Equalizer: You can independently adjust the system's Bass & Treble (-6 to +6), or you can go a step further and adjust the system's 7-band EQ (150, 300, 600, 1.2k, 2.5k, 5.0k, 10.0k Hz) from -6 to +6.
- Subwoofer Level: You can independently adjust the volume of the wireless powered subwoofer from -12 to +6, using the system's remote control.
Mounting Options: The slim, compact Samsung HW-M450's soundbar can be mounted on the wall with the included wall-mount brackets (wall screws not supplied) or simply placed on a table-top, while the wireless powered subwoofer can be positioned anywhere in the room (up to 32.8' away from soundbar) to achieve maximum audio performance.
Optional Wireless Surround Kit: The optional SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit (305SWA85KS, sold separately) lets you add rear speakers to the HW-M450 soundbar system without all the wires. Together with the HW-M450, you can create a 4.1 channel system for a true surround sound experience. The SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit consists of a wireless receiver module and two rear speakers. The wireless receiver module receives a wireless audio signal from the HW-M450 soundbar, so you don't have to run speaker wire from the soundbar to the rear speakers. The wireless receiver module does have to connect to an AC wall outlet via its power cord and to the rear speakers via two speaker cables.
HDMI Input/Output: The soundbar of the Samsung HW-M450 wireless audio soundbar system is fitted with an HDMI 1.4 input and HDMI 1.4 output. HDMI transmits video and audio signals simultaneously for a simpler connection, and provides a clearer picture and better sound. The unit's HDMI input and output support 1080p and 3D-video pass-through. The HDMI output also supports ARC (Audio Return Channel). You should connect your Blu-ray player or satellite/cable box directly to the HW-M450's HDMI input and then connect the soundbar system's HDMI output to your flat-panel TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input.
- 1080P Pass-Through: The HDMI jacks support up to 1080p video pass-through (not 4K).
- Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The HDMI input/output support Dolby Digital (2ch) and DTS (2ch).
- 3D Ready: The HW-M450 can pass through 3D video from 3D-ready Blu-ray players to 3D-ready TVs, via HDMI (1.4). You will also need compatible 3D-ready glasses and 3D-video content.
- ARC: The unit's HDMI output also supports the ARC function. This allows you to connect your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box directly to the system's HDMI input and connect the system's HDMI output to your television for audio from the wireless audio soundbar system or your TV. Your TV must also be ARC compatible.
Note: With some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will pass Dolby Digital/DTS or 2ch PCM from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection or USB port. However, the ARC-enabled HDMI input can only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog.
Digital & Analog Audio Inputs: The Samsung HW-M450 soundbar system features both digital (optical) and analog (3.5mm) audio inputs.
- Optical Digital Input: The Samsung HW-M450's soundbar is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input to connect your television, Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital (2ch) & DTS (2ch). The optical digital output of some flat-panel TVs only send a Dolby Digital audio signal when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch PCM from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- Aux Input: The Samsung HW-M450 's soundbar also features a stereo audio minijack (3.5mm) input to connect your analog television or other analog audio component.
Note: To get the best audio performance out of the Samsung HW-M450, use the system's HDMI input and optical digital input to connect your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box. Then connect the system's HDMI output to your TV's HDMI ARC input. By connecting your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box directly to the soundbar system, you'll gain Dolby Digital/DTS decoding from these two sources.
Bluetooth Technology: The Samsung HW-M450 features built-in Bluetooth for wireless connection between the soundbar speaker system and your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device for wireless music streaming, as well as a wireless connection between the soundbar speaker and select Samsung TVs with SoundConnect. The HW-M450's Bluetooth function has a wireless range of approximately 32.8'.
- Bluetooth Music Streaming: You can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop to the Samsung HW-M450 and enjoy music with high quality stereo sound, all without wires. The HW-M450 does not control your Bluetooth-enabled device; you will continue to control your music from your Bluetooth-enabled device. Song/artist information will also still need to be viewed from your Bluetooth-enabled device. You can only pair and connect one mobile device at a time.
- SoundConnect (for Samsung TVs): You can simplify the installation of the HW-M450 by eliminating the need for a wired connection between a Bluetooth-enabled Samsung TV and the soundbar. Simply plug the soundbar and the subwoofer into AC power and follow the simple pairing instructions to wirelessly connect the soundbar to select Bluetooth-enabled Samsung TVs. SoundConnect is only available on select 2012-up Samsung TVs. When a TV is connected using Bluetooth, audio is transmitted in stereo (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Only one TV can be paired and connected at a time.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Samsung HW-M450.
microUSB Port: You can connect and play music files from external USB mass storage class devices (such as a USB thumbdrive) using the soundbar's rear-panel microUSB port and a microUSB-to-USB adapter (sold separately). The HW-M450 supports playback of a variety of music files loaded onto a compatible USB device formatted in FAT16/32. You can control basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Fast-Forward/Backward, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. The system will also charge (5V/0.5A) your connected USB device. Compatible music files include -
- MP3: 80-320kbps; 16-48kHz
- WMA: 56-128kbps; 16-48kHz
- AAC: 48-320kpbs; 16-96kHz
- WAV: up to 3000 kbps; 16-48kHz
- FLAC: up to 3000 kbps; 16-96kHz
- OGG: 50-500kbps;16-48kHz
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker and the wireless powered subwoofer will both have to be plugged into an AC power outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. The active soundbar includes a AC power adapter with an attached 58" DC cord and detachable 5' AC power cord. The wireless powered sub includes a detachable 5' AC power cord.
Firmware Updates (via microUSB): Samsung may offer updates for the Soundbar's system firmware in the future. If an update is offered, you can download the firmware update from Samsung's Support website onto a USB thumbdrive inserted in your computer. Once the firmware is downloaded on your USB thumbdrive, plug the USB device into the soundbar's microUSB port using adapter cable (sold separately) for update.
Remote Control w/ Anynet+: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-M450 system. Anynet+ is a convenient feature that offers linked operation with other Samsung components (up to 12) that have the Anynet+ feature, and lets you control those products with one Samsung remote control. To operate this function, you must connect Samsung HW-M450 wireless audio soundbar system to an Anynet+ Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
TV Remote Control: When the HW-M450 system is connected to a Samsung smart TV released in 2017 or later, the Soundbar can be controlled using the TV's remote control. This function also allows you to use the TV menu to adjust the soundfield and various settings as well as the volume and mute.
Bluetooth Control: The Samsung HW-M450 soundbar system offers an Android compatible Bluetooth remote app and incorporates a Bluetooth Power On feature.
- Bluetooth Remote App (for Android): Download Samsung's Audio Remote app onto your Android (OS 3.0+) smartphone or tablet to control the HW-M450 soundbar system wirelessly from your mobile device over Bluetooth. This convenient app lets you control all the Soundbar's basic functions such as power, volume, and the media controls, plus lets you control customizable functions such as the surround modes & EQ.
- Bluetooth Power On: If a previously paired Bluetooth device (including a Samsung SoundConnect compatible TV) tries to pair with the Soundbar when the Bluetooth Power On function is activated and the Soundbar is turned off, the Soundbar turns on automatically.
Auto Power On/Off: The Samsung HW-M450 soundbar system offers Auto Power On/Off functionality.
- Power Link (Auto On): The wireless audio soundbar system is automatically turned on when you turn on your TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system with an optical cable.
- Auto Off: If a TV or any device connected to the HW-M450 soundbar system is off and there is no audio signal, the soundbar system will turn off after 5 minutes.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked