About the Samsung/Harman Kardon HW-Q60R
A perfect partner
A perfect partner
The bar's subtly angled sides give it a sleek appearance that will look great wall-mounted or placed on a TV stand.
The HW-Q60R was designed to perfectly complement Samsung's QLED TVs. It has 4K video pass-through with support for High Dynamic Range (HDR 10) signals, so you can get rich sound and picture quality with simple HDMI connections — one from your 4K video source to your sound bar and then one from your sound bar to your TV.
And if you've ever struggled to hear dialogue, you'll appreciate this bar's dedicated center channel. It also has an "adaptive sound" mode that analyzes the sound signal and delivers optimized audio on a scene-by-scene basis, enhancing voice clarity even at low volumes.
Game Mode Pro adjusts the system's equalizer for the particular game you're playing. The bar also features Samsung's Acoustic Beam technology which directs sound according to the action on the screen. Accurate tracking of individual sound elements means an enhanced experience whether you're trying to avoid gunfire in a game or losing yourself in the latest action flick.
The sleek cabinet contains a tube-shaped sound port that's studded with more than 50 holes and flanked by inward-facing tweeters.
But how does it work?
If you take a good look at the top of the cabinet, you'll see a long tube running the length of the sound bar. That's actually a flute-like sound port tucked between a pair of tweeters that fire inward. The sound is then pushed out through the tube's "hole array" to create "highly directional acoustic beams." While this might sound far-fetched, one of our own in-house gamers tried it out on the HW-N650 and found it to be very effective.
Options for music
The HW-Q60R is also a powerful Bluetooth® speaker, so you'll be able to wirelessly stream your favorite tunes from compatible devices directly to the sound bar. And there's a USB port so you can play music straight from a thumb drive, as well.
The HW-Q60R comes with a wireless subwoofer to round out the low end, but it's also compatible with Samsung's SWA-8500S wireless rear speaker kit for a complete surround sound upgrade.
- slim sound bar fits below most TVs on a stand
- designed to complement Samsung QLED TVs
- eight built-in drivers powered by individual amplifiers
- 30 watts x 6
- 10 watts x 2
- dedicated center channel for clear dialogue
- Acoustic Beam technology helps deliver panoramic sound synced to the on-screen action
- Adaptive Sound mode enhances voice clarity at low volumes
- Game Mode Pro boosts game sound effects
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- connects wirelessly to compatible Samsung TVs via Bluetooth
- add optional Samsung SWA-8500S wireless speaker kit for full surround sound
- 43-5/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 3-15/16"D
- weight: 7.9 lbs.
- 6-1/2" woofer
- 160 watts RMS
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure delivers powerful bass response
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 8-1/16"W x 13-15/16"H x 12-3/8"D
- weight: 13.7 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- HDMI in/out with Audio Return Channel
- HDR and 4K video pass-through via HDMI
- compatible with HDR 10 format
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- minijack analog input
- USB port lets you play digital music files from a thumb drive
- bracket and hardware included for mounting bar to a wall
- Anynet (HDMI-CEC) function lets you control sound bar with your Samsung TV's remote
- remote control with subwoofer level control
- total system power: 360 watts
- ENERGY STAR® certified
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HW-Q60R/ZA
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (HW-Q60R)
- Wireless powered sub (PS-WR65B)
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- Two 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (AH59-02767C)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 58" Optical digital cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Screw-holders
- 2 Holder feet
- 2 Support holders
- 2 Pan-head screws
- 2 Counter-sunk screws
- User Manual
- Wall-Mount Template
Samsung/Harman Kardon HW-Q60R reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung/Harman Kardon HW-Q60R
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||5.1|
|Virtual Surround||Surround Sound Expansion|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Subwoofer Driver||6.5" Cone|
|Enclosure||Sealed (bar),Ported (sub)|
|System Frequency Response||42-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||200|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||160|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10|
|Control by App||Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 2.1|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-5/16H x 43-5/16W x 3-15/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.9 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||13-15/16H x 8-1/16W x 12-3/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||13.7 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Harman/Kardon Sound: The HW-Q60R combines Samsung's home entertainment expertise with Harman/Kardon's audio technical expertise to deliver virtual surround sound from a two-speaker system, featuring an activate soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer. The Samsung HW-Q60R soundbar speaker system delivers on Harman/Kardon's promise of a powerful and rich emotional audio experience.
Active Soundbar Speaker: The soundbar is a self-powered, 5-channel speaker with dedicated left, right, center, and surround channels that can provide virtual surround sound. The soundbar consists of eight total drivers inside its acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure. The soundbar is powered by a built-in 200 watt amplifier (30W x 6ch + 10W x 2ch). The soundbar features Samsung's new Acoustic Beam Technology, as well as dedicated center & surround channels for more enveloping surround sound.
- Acoustic Beam Technology: Experience panoramic sound with Samsung's innovative Acoustic Beam technology. Samsung's Acoustic Beam technology mixes and delivers the sound via a set of precisely placed openings at the top of the soundbar, so sound appears to come from where the action is happening on screen. The sound will travel in sync with the motion on the screen, making you feel part of the action.
- Dedicated Center & Surround Channels: The soundbar's dedicated center channel section keeps dialog crystal clear, so you can hear every word during a movie soundtrack; while the dedicated surround channels provide more distinct surround effects.
Wireless Powered Sub: The wireless powered sub receives its low-frequency audio signal wirelessly from the soundbar via 2.4GHz transmission. There are no cords to connect, except the AC power cord. The wireless powered sub features a side-firing 6.5" woofer inside a bass-reflex cabinet with a rear-firing port. The woofer is powered by a built-in 160 watt amplifier.
Dolby Digital & DTS Decoding: The Samsung HW-Q60R soundbar system employs decoders compatible with Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch) & DTS (up to 5.1ch), as well as four Sound Modes.
- Surround Sound Expansion: The Surround Sound Expansion mode delivers a more realistic and immersive audio experience by adding depth and spaciousness to the movie soundtrack. From nearly any corner of the room, Surround Sound Expansion blankets the listening area both sideways and up to screen level for a more immersive surround effect.
- Adaptive Sound Mode: The Adaptive Sound Mode automatically analyzes the content and optimizes the sound setting for the best experience. The soundbar will analyze the frequency and sound signals to automatically deliver optimized sound scene-by-scene. Even when reducing the volume, background sound is reduced and voices are kept clear.
- Game Pro Mode. In Game Pro Mode, the soundbar detects when you're gaming and automatically optimizes the sound in real time. Game Pro Mode boosts game sound effects and delivers a highly directional sound as if gamers are wearing a headset
- Standard Mode: Select Standard mode if you simply want to enjoy 2ch stereo playback.
Audio Settings: The Samsung HW-Q60R soundbar system provides various audio adjustments to customize your listening experience.
- AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a TV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
- Equalizer: You can independently adjust the system's Bass & Treble (-6 to +6), or you can go a step further and adjust the system's 7-band EQ (150, 300, 600, 1.2k, 2.5k, 5.0k, 10.0k Hz) from -6 to +6.
- Subwoofer Level: You can independently adjust the volume of the wireless powered subwoofer from -6 to +6, using the system's remote control.
- DRC (Dynamic Range Control): A Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range is compressed making it easier to hear at lower volume levels.
- Turn-On Volume: To protect your hearing, the Volume Restriction function restricts the volume to 20 if you turn on the soundbar system when the volume is set higher than 20.
Mounting Options: The slim, compact Samsung HW-Q60R's soundbar can be mounted on the wall with the included wall-mount brackets (wall screws not supplied) or simply placed on a table-top, while the wireless powered subwoofer can be positioned anywhere in the room (up to 32.8' away from soundbar) to achieve maximum audio performance. The included feet can be used to raise the soundbar, so it can be installed in front of your TV and above the legs of the TV's pedestal stand.
Optional Wireless Surround Kit: The optional SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit (305SWA85KS, sold separately) lets you add rear speakers to the HW-Q60R soundbar system without all the wires. Together with the HW-Q60R , you can create a 7.1 channel system for a true surround sound experience. The SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit consists of a wireless receiver module and two rear speakers. The wireless receiver module receives a wireless audio signal from the HW-Q60R soundbar, so you don't have to run speaker wire from the soundbar to the rear speakers. The wireless receiver module does have to connect to an AC wall outlet via its power cord and to the rear speakers via two speaker cables.
HDMI 2.0: The Samsung HW-Q60R soundbar is fitted with one HDMI 2.0 input and one HDMI 2.0 output (ARC compatible). The HDMI input allows you to connect your Ultra- HD Blu-ray player or cable/satellite box directly to the soundbar and then from its HDMI ARC output to your flat-panel TV. The HDMI 2.0 input and output support 4K Pass-Through, HDR, 3D video, ARC, and multichannel audio.
- 4K Passthrough + HDCP 2.2 Compliant: The soundbar's HDMI 2.0 input and output can pass 4K ultra-HD video; as well as 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p video. The soundbar's HDMI input and output also support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video: HDR delivers a much higher level of contrast between light and dark to produce an image that is more realistic and closer to what the content creator imagined. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. * The system supports HDR10 only; it is not compatible with HLG and Dolby Vision HDR formats.
- 3D Ready: The HW-Q60R can pass-through 3D video (up to 1080p) from 3D-ready Blu-ray players to 3D-ready TVs, via HDMI. You will also need compatible 3D-ready glasses and 3D-video content.
- Dolby Digital & DTS (up to 5.1ch): The soundbar system's HDMI 2.0 input and output offer Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and 2ch PCM decoding.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): The unit's HDMI output also supports the ARC function. This allows you to connect your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box directly to the system's HDMI inputs and connect the system's HDMI output to your television for audio from the wireless audio soundbar system or your TV. Your TV must also be ARC compatible.
Note: Because with some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the soundbar directly; and then connect the soundbar's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance
Digital & Analog Audio Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Samsung HW-Q60R soundbar system features both digital (optical) and analog (3.5mm) audio inputs.
- Optical Digital Input: The Samsung HW-Q60R's soundbar is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input to connect your television, Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and 2Ch PCM. The optical digital output of some flat-panel TVs only send a Dolby Digital audio signal when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch PCM from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- Aux Input: The Samsung HW-Q60R 's soundbar also features a stereo audio minijack (3.5mm) input to connect your analog television or other analog audio component.
Note: To get the best audio performance out of the Samsung HW-Q60R, use the system's HDMI input and optical digital input to connect your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box. Then connect the system's HDMI output to your TV's HDMI ARC input. By connecting your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box directly to the soundbar system, you'll gain Dolby Digital/DTS decoding from these two sources.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Samsung HW-Q60R features built-in Bluetooth for wireless connection between the soundbar speaker system and your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device for wireless music streaming, as well as a wireless connection between the soundbar speaker and Bluetooth A2DP enabled TVs. The HW-Q60R's Bluetooth function has a wireless range of approximately 32.8'.
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming: You can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop to the Samsung HW-Q60R and enjoy music with high quality stereo sound, all without wires. The HW-Q60R's remote can be used to control Play/Pause and Skip functions (advanced music navigation is still handled from your Bluetooth source device. The HW-Q60R does not display song/artist information (song/artist info is still viewed on your Bluetooth source device). You can only pair and connect one mobile device at a time.
- Wireless TV Connection: You can simplify the installation of the HW-Q60R by eliminating the need for a wired connection between a Bluetooth-enabled TV and the soundbar. Simply plug the soundbar and the subwoofer into AC power and follow the simple pairing instructions to wirelessly connect the soundbar to a Bluetooth A2DP enabled TV. When a TV is connected using Bluetooth, audio is transmitted in stereo (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Only one TV can be paired and connected at a time.
- This system does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Samsung HW-Q60R.
microUSB Port: You can connect and play music files from external USB mass storage class devices (such as a USB thumbdrive) using the soundbar's rear-panel microUSB port and a microUSB-to-USB adapter (sold separately). The HW-Q60R supports playback of a variety of music files loaded onto a compatible USB device formatted in FAT16/32. You can control basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat. The system will also charge (5V/0.5A) your connected USB device. Compatible music files include -
- MP3: 80-320kbps; 16-48kHz
- WMA: 56-128kbps; 16-48kHz
- AAC: 48-320kpbs; 16-96kHz
- WAV: up to 3000kbps; 16-48kHz
- OGG: 50-500kbps;16-48kHz
Note: The microUSB port does not support USB hubs, card-readers, computers, Apple iOS devices, or Android devices.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker and the wireless powered subwoofer will both have to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The active soundbar includes an AC power adapter with an attached 58" DC cord and detachable 5' AC power cord. The wireless powered sub includes a detachable 5' AC power cord.
Firmware Updates (via microUSB): Samsung may offer updates for the soundbar's system firmware in the future. If an update is offered, you can download the firmware update from Samsung's Support website onto a USB thumbdrive inserted in your computer. Once the firmware is downloaded on your USB thumbdrive, plug the USB device into the soundbar's microUSB port using adapter cable (sold separately) for update.
Remote Control w/ Anynet+: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-Q60R system. Anynet+ is a convenient feature that offers linked operation with other Samsung components (up to 12) that have the Anynet+ feature, and lets you control those products with one Samsung remote control. To operate this function, you must connect Samsung HW-Q60R wireless audio soundbar system to an Anynet+ Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
Note: There are also side-panel controls (including Power, Source, and Volume) on the soundbar speaker.
TV Remote Control: When the HW-R500 system is connected to a Samsung Smart TV (released in 2017 or later), the soundbar can be controlled using the TV's remote control. This function also allows you to use the TV menu to adjust the soundfield and various settings, as well as the volume and mute. You can also program Sony, LG, Vizio, Sharp, Panasonic, and Toshiba TV remotes to control Power/On Off, Volume Up/Down, and Mute functions of the HW-Q60R soundbar system.
Bluetooth Control: The Samsung HW-Q60R soundbar system offers an Android compatible Bluetooth remote app and incorporates a Bluetooth Power On feature.
- Bluetooth Remote App (for Android): Download Samsung's Audio Remote app onto your Android (OS 3.0+) smartphone or tablet to control the HW-Q60R soundbar system wirelessly from your mobile device over Bluetooth. This convenient app lets you control all the soundbar's basic functions such as power, volume, and the media controls, plus lets you control customizable functions such as the surround modes & EQ. *The Samsung Audio Remote App is not supported by Apple iOS devices.
- Bluetooth Power On: If a previously paired Bluetooth device (including a Samsung SoundConnect compatible TV) tries to pair with the soundbar when the Bluetooth Power On function is activated and the soundbar is turned off, the soundbar turns on automatically.
Auto Power On/Off: The Samsung HW-Q60R soundbar system offers Auto Power On/Off functionality.
- Power Link (Auto On): The wireless audio soundbar system is automatically turned on when you turn on your TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system with an optical cable.
- Auto Off: If a TV or any device connected to the HW-Q60R soundbar system is off and there is no audio signal, the soundbar system will turn off after 5 minutes.
The Samsung/Harman Kardon HW-Q60R replaces these items
- compact sound bar and slim wireless powered sub
- built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming from smartphones, tablets, and computers
- add optional Samsung SWA-8500S wireless speaker kit for rear effects
- sound bar and wireless powered sub
- dedicated center channel for clear dialogue
- add optional Samsung SWA-8500S wireless speaker kit for full surround sound
4 questions already asked