About the Samsung/Harman Kardon HW-Q70R
Elevate your Samsung QLED experience
Elevate your Samsung QLED experience
The bar's subtly angled sides give it a sleek appearance that will look great wall-mounted or placed on a TV stand.
The HW-Q70R delivers the overhead effects of Atmos and DTS:X home theater sound in a streamlined package that was designed to complement your new Samsung QLED TV. It also has 4K video pass-through with support for High Dynamic Range (HDR 10) signals, so you can get rich sound and picture quality with simple HDMI connections — one from your 4K video source to your sound bar and then one from your sound bar to your TV.
And if you've ever struggled to hear dialogue, you'll appreciate this bar's dedicated center channel. It also has an "adaptive sound" mode that analyzes the sound signal and delivers optimized audio on a scene-by-scene basis, enhancing voice clarity even at low volumes.
Game Mode Pro adjusts the system's equalizer for the particular game you're playing. The bar also features Samsung's Acoustic Beam technology which directs sound according to the action on the screen. Accurate tracking of individual sound elements means an enhanced experience whether you're trying to avoid gunfire in a game or losing yourself in the latest action flick.
The cabinet contains a tube-shaped sound port that's studded with more than 50 holes and flanked by inward-facing tweeters.
But how does it work?
If you take a good look at the top of the cabinet, you'll see a long tube-shaped chamber running the length of the sound bar. That's actually a flute-like sound port tucked between a pair of tweeters that fire inward. The sound is then pushed out through the tube's "hole array" to create "highly directional acoustic beams." While this might sound far-fetched, one of our own in-house gamers tried it out on the HW-N650 and found it to be very effective. And this bar takes it a step further than its predecessors with support for the immersive object-based effects of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
Options for music
The HW-Q70R is also a powerful Bluetooth® speaker, so you'll be able to wirelessly stream your favorite tunes from compatible devices directly to the sound bar. It also has built-in Wi-Fi for use with services like Spotify® Connect (subscription required). The system is also Alexa-compatible, so if you have an Amazon Echo device, you can control it with your voice.
The HW-Q70R comes with a wireless subwoofer to round out the low end, but it's also compatible with Samsung's SWA-8500S wireless rear speaker kit for a complete surround sound upgrade.
- features slim sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- delivers 3.1.2-channel sound with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X
- designed to complement Samsung QLED TVs
- add optional Samsung SWA-8500S wireless speaker kit for full surround sound
- compatible with Amazon Echo devices for Alexa voice control
- seven built-in drivers powered by individual amplifiers
- dedicated center channel for clear dialogue
- Acoustic Beam technology helps deliver panoramic sound synced to the on-screen action
- Adaptive Sound mode enhances voice clarity at low volumes
- Game Mode Pro boosts game sound effects
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- UHQ 32-bit technology upsamples audio for improved sound
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- connects wirelessly to compatible Samsung TVs via Bluetooth
- 43-3/8"W x 2-5/16"H x 3-15/16"D
- weight: 7.9 lbs.
- 8" woofer
- 160 watts RMS
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure delivers powerful bass response
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 8-1/8"W x 15-15/16"H x 16-3/8"D
- weight: 21.6 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- HDMI in/out with Audio Return Channel
- HDR and 4K video pass-through via HDMI
- compatible with HDR 10 format
- HDMI cable included
- optical digital audio input
- minijack analog input
- bracket and hardware included for mounting bar to a wall
- Anynet (HDMI-CEC) function lets you control sound bar with your Samsung TV's remote
- remote control with subwoofer level control
- total system power: 330 watts
- ENERGY STAR® certified
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HW-Q70R/ZA
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (HW-Q70R)
- Wireless powered sub (PS-WR75B)
- AC power adapter (attached 68" DC cord)
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control (AH59-02767C)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 59" HDMI cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Screw-holders
- 2 Holder feet
- 2 Support holders
- 2 Pan-head screws
- 2 Counter-sunk screws
- User Manual
- Wall-Mount Template
Samsung/Harman Kardon HW-Q70R reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung/Harman Kardon HW-Q70R
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1.2|
|Virtual Surround||Surround Sound Expansion|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Subwoofer Driver||8" Cone|
|Enclosure||Sealed (bar),Ported (sub)|
|System Frequency Response||35-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||170|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||160|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10, HDR10+|
|Voice Control||Alexa optional|
|Control by App||Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.0|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 b/g/n|
|Bands||2.4, 5.0 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-5/16H x 43-3/8W x 3-15/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.9 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||15-15/16H x 8-1/8W x 16-3/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||21.6 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Harman/Kardon Sound: The HW-Q70R combines Samsung's home entertainment expertise with Harman/Kardon's audio technical expertise to deliver an immersive virtual surround sound from a two-speaker system, featuring an activate soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer. The Samsung HW-Q70R soundbar speaker system delivers on Harman/Kardon's promise of an immersive, powerful and rich emotional audio experience.
Active Soundbar Speaker: The active soundbar speaker incorporates seven total drivers that include forward facing center, front left, and front right channels; along with upward firing Dolby Atmos enabled channels. The soundbar speaker's front left and front right channels consist of two drivers each, while the center channel features a single driver. The two upward firing Dolby Atmos channels utilize a single driver each. All seven drivers are powered by a built-in 170W amplifier (30W x 5ch [Left/Center/Right] + 10W x 2Ch [Upward Firing Dolby Atmos]).
- Acoustic Beam Technology: Experience panoramic sound with Samsung's innovative Acoustic Beam technology. Samsung's Acoustic Beam technology mixes and delivers the sound via a set of precisely placed openings at the top of the soundbar, so sound appears to come from where the action is happening on screen. The sound will travel in sync with the motion on the screen, making you feel part of the action.
- Dedicated Center & Dolby Atmos Channels: The soundbar's dedicated center channel section keeps dialog crystal clear, so you can hear every word during a movie soundtrack; while the dedicated upward firing Dolby Atmos channels provide immersive "overhead" effects.
Wireless Powered Sub: The wireless powered sub receives its low-frequency audio signal wirelessly from the soundbar via 2.4GHz transmission. There are no cords to connect, except the AC power cord. The wireless powered sub features a side-firing 8" woofer inside a bass-reflex cabinet with a rear-firing port. The woofer is powered by a built-in 160 watt amplifier.
Immersive Surround Sound: The Samsung HW-Q70R is capable of delivering up to 3.1.2-channel surround for Dolby Atmos & DTS:X. It also supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), Dolby Digital Plus (7.1ch), Dolby TrueHD (7.1ch), and DTS (5.1ch only).
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. Rather than being constrained to channels, sounds exist as individual entities that are precisely placed and moved in three-dimensional space. A new sensation of height immerses you in the action, creating a full audio atmosphere and realistically depicting objects moving overhead. Dolby Atmos renders everything from dialogue to quiet scenes to whirlwind action with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. It all comes together in sound that excites your senses and inspires your emotions to deliver the full impact of entertainment.
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- To enjoy Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, you must connect your Blu-ray player's or satellite/cable box's HDMI outputs directly to the HDMI input on the HW-Q70R, because the soundbar's HDMI ARC Output jack and most TV's HDMI ARC Input jacks will not support Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
- The soundbar's optical (toslink) digital input only supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and 2ch PCM
Sound Modes: The Samsung HW-Q70R soundbar speaker system offers four different sound modes that can be used with a variety of content.
- Surround: The Surround Sound Expansion mode delivers a more realistic and immersive audio experience by adding depth and spaciousness to the movie soundtrack. From nearly any corner of the room, Surround Sound Expansion blankets the listening area both sideways and up to screen level for a more immersive surround effect.
- Adaptive Sound: The Adaptive Sound Mode automatically analyzes the content and optimizes the sound setting for the best experience. The soundbar will analyze the frequency and sound signals to automatically deliver optimized sound scene-by-scene. Even when reducing the volume, background sound is reduced and voices are kept clear.
- Game Pro. In Game Pro Mode, the soundbar detects when you're gaming and automatically optimizes the sound in real time. Game Pro Mode boosts game sound effects and delivers a highly directional sound as if gamers are wearing a headset
- Standard: Select Standard mode if you simply want to enjoy 2ch stereo playback.
HDMI 2.0: The Samsung HW-Q70R's soundbar is outfitted with one HDMI 2.0 input and one HDMI 2.0 output (ARC compatible). The HDMI input allows you to connect your Ultra-HD Blu-ray player or cable/satellite box directly to the soundbar and then from its HDMI ARC output to your flat-panel TV. The HDMI 2.0 input and output support 4K Pass-Through, HDR, 3D video, and ARC.
- 4K + HDCP 2.2: The soundbar's HDMI 2.0 input and output support 4K ultra-HD video; as well as 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p video. The soundbar's HDMI input and output also support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video: HDR delivers a much higher level of contrast between light and dark to produce an image that is more realistic and closer to what the content creator imagined. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. This system supports HDR10 and HDR10+; not compatible with HLG or Dolby Vision HDR formats.
- 3D Ready: The HW-Q70R can pass through 3D video (up to 1080p) from 3D-ready Blu-ray players to 3D-ready TVs, via HDMI. You will also need compatible 3D-ready glasses and 3D-video content.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The unit's HDMI output supports the ARC function. This allows you to connect your Blu-ray player or satellite/cable box directly to the soundbar system's HDMI input and connect the soundbar's HDMI output to your television for audio from the wireless audio soundbar system or your TV. Your TV must also be ARC compatible.
- Because with some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player and Satellite/Cable box to the soundbar directly; and then connect the soundbar's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
- The HDMI ARC out is not eARC compatible and does not support Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, or Dolby Digital Plus.
Optical Digital Input: The Samsung HW-Q70R wireless audio soundbar system is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input to connect your television, Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box. The optical (toslink) digital input supports Dolby Digital & DTS (both up to 5.1ch), as well as 2ch PCM. *There is no analog audio input on this soundbar system.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many flat-panel TVs only send a Dolby Digital or DTS audio signal when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch PCM from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Audio Settings: The Samsung HW-Q70R system provides the following audio adjustments to suit your application.
- Equalizer: You can independently adjust the system's Bass & Treble (-6 to +6), or you can go a step further and adjust the system's 7-band EQ (150, 300, 600, 1.2k, 2.5k, 5.0k, 10.0k Hz) from -6 to +6.
- Level Control: You can adjust the level of the soundbar's center channel and top-firing Dolby Atmos drivers independently from the system overall volume. You can also adjust the subwoofer independently.
- AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a TV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
Optional Wireless Surround Kit: The optional SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit (305SWA85KS, sold separately) lets you add rear speakers to the HW-Q60R soundbar system without all the wires. Together with the HW-Q70R , you can create a 5.1.2 channel system for a true surround sound experience. The SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit consists of a wireless receiver module and two rear speakers. The wireless receiver module receives a wireless audio signal from the HW-Q70R soundbar, so you don't have to run speaker wire from the soundbar to the rear speakers. The wireless receiver module does have to connect to an AC wall outlet via its power cord and to the rear speakers via two speaker cables.
Wireless Network Connection: The Samsung HW-Q70R offers a 2.4GHz/5GHz dual-band wireless (WiFi 802.11b/g/n) network connection which allows you to connect an Alexa-enabled device for hands-free access and voice control of select online music services. WiFi setup will be done using the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 6.0+).
Note: The system is not equipped with an Ethernet jack for a hardwired network connection.
Alexa Music Services: Connecting an Amazon Alexa device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) provides hands-free voice control for Amazon Music, Apple Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Tidal, and Spotify Connect. You can also upload your personal music collection from iTunes, Google Play Music, and more to your music library on Amazon and then stream your music through the Samsung soundbar system. Simply ask for your favorite artist or song, or request a specific genre or mood. You can also search for music by lyrics, when a song or album was released, or let Alexa pick the music for you.
Note: The HW-Q70R is limited to music functionality only through Amazon Alexa. Other services provided by Amazon (such as news and weather) can only be accessed through your Amazon Alexa device.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming (A2DP): Thanks to built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with support for wireless audio streaming, you can wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop) to the Samsung HW-Q70R and enjoy music with high quality stereo sound. The included remote control will provide Play/Pause & Previous/Next functions. Advance music browsing and song/artist information will still be handled from your Bluetooth source device.
Note: The HW-Q70R does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Wireless TV Connection: You can simplify the installation of the HW-Q70R by eliminating the need for a wired connection between a Bluetooth-enabled TV from any manufacturer or a WiFi enabled Samsung TV (2014-2019 models) and the soundbar. Simply plug the soundbar and the subwoofer into AC power and follow the simple pairing instructions to wirelessly connect the soundbar and your compatible TV. When a TV is connected using Bluetooth or WiFi, audio is transmitted in stereo (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Only one TV can be paired and connected at a time.
Alexa Voice Control (Optional): Use Amazon Alexa and an Amazon Echo device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to control the soundbar system with your voice. You can ask Alexa to turn on/off the system, change the input source, select an online music service, set the volume level, mute the volume, and stop playback. In the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS and Android), you will need to change the Soundbar's name to one that can be recognized by your Amazon Echo device.
SmartThings App: Use the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to turn your compatible smartphone or tablet into a remote control for the HW-Q70R system. You can also use the app to access internet radio and select online music services, as well as music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android device. In addition, the SmartThings app is used to connect the HW-Q70R system to your WiFi network and enable Amazon Alexa compatibility with an Amazon Echo device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Optional SmartThings Hub: Install the SmartThings Hub (sold separately) and use the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS and Android) on your mobile device as a remote control for the HW-Q70R system, as well as all of your Samsung SmartThings and other smart devices in your home.
Remote Control with HDMI Control (Anynet+): The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-Q70R system. Support for HDMI Control & Anynet+ offers linked operation with other Samsung Anynet+ components (up to 12) and other HDMI-CEC compatible components from one remote control. All components will need to be connected via HDMI and support either HDMI-CEC or Anynet+.
TV Remote Control: When the HW-Q70R system is connected to a Samsung smart TV released in 2017 or later, the Soundbar can be controlled using the TV's remote control. This function also allows you to use the TV menu to adjust the soundfield and various settings, as well as the volume and mute. You can also program Sony, LG, Vizio, Sharp, Panasonic, and Toshiba TV remotes to control Power/On Off, Volume Up/Down, and Mute functions of the HW-Q70R soundbar system.
Auto Power On/Off: The Samsung wireless audio soundbar system offers Auto Power On/Off functionality.
- Power Link (Auto On): The wireless audio soundbar system is automatically turned on when you turn on your TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system with an optical cable.
- Auto Off: If a TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system is off and there is no audio signal, the soundbar system will turn off after 5 minutes.
Network & Bluetooth Standby On Function: The Network Standby On function is available if a wireless connection has been properly established between a smart device and the soundbar. This function turns on the soundbar automatically when a smart device attempts to connect to the system via Bluetooth or WiFi. If you turn the system on via a Bluetooth connection, its input mode is set to BT automatically. To turn the Soundbar on via WiFi, you must have the Samsung SmartThings app installed on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Firmware Updates: Firmware & software updates are done through the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS & Android).
Wall-Mount or Tabletop Mount the Soundbar Speaker: The soundbar is designed to be mounted directly below or above your flat-panel HDTV in a horizontal orientation. It should be placed directly in front of your main listening position without any obstructions around the front and upward firing drivers. The soundbar can be placed on a shelf or table-top. The included feet can be used to raise the soundbar, so it can be installed in front of your TV and above the legs of the TV's pedestal stand. The soundbar also includes wall-mount brackets which allows you to fix the speaker to your wall.
Wireless Powered Sub Placement: Thanks to its 2.4GHz wireless connectivity, you can place the powered subwoofer up to 32.8' away from the soundbar. There are no cables to connect, except the AC power cord. It is recommended that you place the wireless powered sub along the same front wall as the soundbar speaker.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker and the wireless powered subwoofer will both have to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The active soundbar includes an AC power adapter with an attached 68" cord. The wireless powered sub includes a detachable 5' AC power cord.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked