- sound bar, wireless subwoofer, and wireless rear speaker kit
- delivers 7.1.4-channel sound with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X
- designed to complement Samsung QLED TVs
- compatible with Amazon Echo devices for Alexa voice control
- 13 built-in drivers powered by individual amplifiers
- two side-firing drivers
- two up-firing drivers for overhead effects
- dedicated center channel for clear dialogue
- Adaptive Sound mode enhances voice clarity at low volumes
- Game Mode Pro boosts game sound effects
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- UHQ 32-bit technology upsamples audio for improved sound
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- 48-5/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 5-3/8"D
- weight: 19.4 lbs.
- 8" woofer
- 160 watts RMS
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure delivers powerful bass response
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 8-1/8"W x 15-15/16"H x 16-3/8"D
- weight: 21.6 lbs.
Wireless rear speakers:
- two built-in drivers per speaker
- one front-firing driver and one up-firing driver for immersive rear effects
- each driver powered by its own 35-watt amplifier
- connects wirelessly to sound bar
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 4-3/4"W x 8-5/16"H x 5-5/8"D
- weight: 4.6 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output
- supports Audio Return Channel
- HDR and 4K video pass-through via HDMI
- compatible with HDR 10 format
- HDMI cable included
- optical digital audio input
- compatible with Samsung SmartThings mobile app
- bracket and hardware included for mounting bar to a wall
- Anynet (HDMI-CEC) function lets you control sound bar with your Samsung TV's remote
- remote control with subwoofer level control
- total system power: 510 watts
- ENERGY STAR® certified
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HW-Q90R/ZA
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (HW-Q90R)
- Wireless powered sub (PS-WR95B)
- 2 Wireless rear speakers (PS-SQ90)
- Four 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (AH59-02767C)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 59" HDMI cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Screw-holders
- 2 Screws
- 4 Rubber feet
- User Manual
- Wall-Mount Template
Samsung/Harman Kardon HW-Q90R reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung/Harman Kardon HW-Q90R
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||7.1.4|
|Virtual Surround||Surround Sound Expansion|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Subwoofer Driver||8" Cone|
|Enclosure||Sealed (bar),Ported (sub)|
|System Frequency Response||34-17k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||210|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||160|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10, HDR10+|
|Voice Control||Alexa optional|
|Control by App||Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.0|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 b/g/n|
|Bands||2.4 + 5.0 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||3-1/4H x 48-5/16W x 5-3/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||19.4 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||15-15/16H x 8-1/8W x 16-3/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||21.6 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Harman/Kardon Sound: The HW-Q90R combines Samsung's home entertainment expertise with Harman/Kardon's audio technical expertise to deliver an immersive 7.1.4ch surround sound from a 4-speaker system, featuring an activate soundbar speaker, wireless rear speakers, and wireless powered subwoofer. The Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar speaker system delivers on Harman/Kardon's promise of an immersive, powerful and rich emotional, cinematic audio experience.
Active Soundbar Speaker: The active soundbar speaker incorporates 13 total drivers that include forward facing center, front left, and front right channels; along with side firing surround channels and upward firing Dolby Atmos enabled channels. The soundbar speaker's dedicated center, front left, and front right channels each consist of one wide-range tweeter and two midrange drivers. The two surround channels each consist of one side-firing driver, while the two dedicated Dolby Atmos channels each consist of one upward firing full-range driver. All 13 drivers are powered by a built-in 210W amplifier (18W x 10Ch [mids] + 10W x 3Ch [tweeters]).
- 3 Front Channels with Wide-Range Tweeters: In addition to the front left and right channels that are found in most soundbar speakers, this soundbar is equipped with a dedicated center channel section that keeps dialog crystal clear so you can hear every word during a movie soundtrack. The soundbar's wide-range tweeters used for the front left, front right, and center channels let you hear consistently great sound anywhere in the room. These three specially designed wide-range tweeters are devoted to recreating crisp, clear high notes, with a wider sound coverage than conventional tweeters - resulting in a greater sweet spot that stretches further.
- Surround & Height Channels: The discrete side and up firing drivers placed on both ends and on top of the soundbar speaker envelop you with 3-dimensional sound. With side-firing speakers built into each end of the soundbar, sound effects are virtually sent all around you for a more spacious soundstage that envelops you. The upward firing drivers provide virtual "overhead" effects by bouncing sound waves off the ceiling and making the audio surround you from above.
Wireless Rear Speakers & Sub: The wireless rear speakers & powered subwoofer receives their audio signal wirelessly from the soundbar via 2.4GHz transmission. There are no cables to connect, except the AC power cords for each speaker & sub. You can place the wireless powered subwoofer & rear speakers up to 32.8' away from the soundbar. The wireless subwoofer and rear speakers are automatically connected to the soundbar through auto-pairing.
- Rear Speakers: Each Dolby Atmos-enabled wireless rear speaker features a forward facing full-range driver and a upward firing full-range driver powered by a built-in 35 watt amplifier. They are labeled "Left" & "Right".
- Powered Subwoofer: The wireless powered sub features a side-firing 8" woofer inside a bass-reflex cabinet with a rear-firing port. The woofer is powered by a built-in 160 watt amplifier. You can independently adjust the volume level of the subwoofer without interfering with the system's overall volume level.
Immersive Surround Sound: The Samsung HW-Q90R is capable of delivering up to 3.1.2-channel surround for Dolby Atmos & DTS:X. It also supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), Dolby Digital Plus (7.1ch), Dolby TrueHD (7.1ch), and DTS (5.1ch only).
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. Rather than being constrained to channels, sounds exist as individual entities that are precisely placed and moved in three-dimensional space. A new sensation of height immerses you in the action, creating a full audio atmosphere and realistically depicting objects moving overhead. Dolby Atmos renders everything from dialogue to quiet scenes to whirlwind action with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. It all comes together in sound that excites your senses and inspires your emotions to deliver the full impact of entertainment.
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- To enjoy Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, you must connect your Blu-ray player's or satellite/cable box's HDMI outputs directly to the HDMI input on the HW-Q90R, because the soundbar's HDMI ARC Output jack and most TV's HDMI ARC Input jacks will not support Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
- The soundbar's optical (toslink) digital input only supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and 2ch PCM
UHQ 32-Bit Audio Processing: The Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar speaker system utilizes UHQ 32-Bit Audio processing to upscale all your audio content up to 32-bit for richer, more dynamic sound with greater detail and clarity.
Sound Modes: The Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar speaker system offers four different sound modes that can be used with a variety of content.
- Surround: The Surround Sound Expansion mode delivers a more realistic and immersive audio experience by adding depth and spaciousness to the movie soundtrack. From nearly any corner of the room, Surround Sound Expansion blankets the listening area both sideways and up to screen level for a more immersive surround effect.
- Adaptive Sound: The Adaptive Sound Mode automatically analyzes the content and optimizes the sound setting for the best experience. The soundbar will analyze the frequency and sound signals to automatically deliver optimized sound scene-by-scene. Even when reducing the volume, background sound is reduced and voices are kept clear.
- Game Pro. In Game Pro Mode, the soundbar detects when you're gaming and automatically optimizes the sound in real time. Game Pro Mode boosts game sound effects and delivers a highly directional sound as if gamers are wearing a headset
- Standard: Select Standard mode if you simply want to enjoy 2ch stereo playback.
HDMI 2.0: The Samsung HW-Q90R's soundbar is outfitted with two HDMI 2.0 inputs and one HDMI 2.0 output (ARC compatible). The HDMI inputs allow you to connect your Ultra-HD Blu-ray player and cable/satellite box directly to the soundbar and then from its HDMI ARC output to your flat-panel TV. The HDMI 2.0 inputs and output support 4K Pass-Through, HDR, 3D video, and ARC.
- 4K + HDCP 2.2: The soundbar's HDMI 2.0 inputs and output support 4K ultra-HD video; as well as 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p video. The soundbar's HDMI inputs and output also support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video: HDR delivers a much higher level of contrast between light and dark to produce an image that is more realistic and closer to what the content creator imagined. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. This system supports HDR10 and HDR10+; not compatible with HLG or Dolby Vision HDR formats.
- 3D Ready: the HW-Q90R can pass through 3D video (up to 1080p) from 3D-ready Blu-ray players to 3D-ready TVs, via HDMI. You will also need compatible 3D-ready glasses and 3D-video content.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The unit's HDMI output supports the ARC function. This allows you to connect your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box directly to the soundbar system's HDMI inputs, while connecting the soundbar's HDMI output to your television for audio from the wireless audio soundbar system or your TV. Your TV must also be ARC compatible.
- Because with some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player and Satellite/Cable box to the soundbar directly; and then connect the soundbar's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
- The HDMI ARC out is not eARC compatible and does not support Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, or Dolby Digital Plus.
Optical Digital Input: The Samsung HW-Q90R wireless audio soundbar system is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input to connect your television, Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box. The optical (toslink) digital input supports Dolby Digital & DTS (both up to 5.1ch), as well as 2ch PCM. *There is no analog audio input on this soundbar system.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many flat-panel TVs only send a Dolby Digital or DTS audio signal when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch PCM from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Audio Settings: The Samsung HW-Q90R system provides the following audio adjustments to suit your application.
- Equalizer: You can independently adjust the system's Bass & Treble (-6 to +6), or you can go a step further and adjust the system's 7-band EQ (150, 300, 600, 1.2k, 2.5k, 5.0k, 10.0k Hz) from -6 to +6.
- Level Control: You can adjust the level of the soundbar's center channel, side-firing surrounds, and top-firing Dolby Atmos drivers independently from the system overall volume. You can also adjust the subwoofer independently.
- AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a TV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
Wireless Network Connection: The Samsung HW-Q90R offers a 2.4GHz/5GHz dual-band wireless (WiFi 802.11b/g/n) network connection which allows you to connect an Alexa-enabled device for hands-free access and voice control of select online music services. WiFi setup will be done using the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 6.0+).
Note: The system is not equipped with an Ethernet jack for a hardwired network connection.
Alexa Music Services: Connecting an Amazon Alexa device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) provides hands-free voice control for Amazon Music, Apple Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Tidal, and Spotify Connect. You can also upload your personal music collection from iTunes, Google Play Music, and more to your music library on Amazon and then stream your music through the Samsung soundbar system. Simply ask for your favorite artist or song, or request a specific genre or mood. You can also search for music by lyrics, when a song or album was released, or let Alexa pick the music for you.
Note: the HW-Q90R is limited to music functionality only through Amazon Alexa. Other services provided by Amazon (such as news and weather) can only be accessed through your Amazon Alexa device.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming (A2DP): Thanks to built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with support for wireless audio streaming, you can wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop) to the Samsung HW-Q90R and enjoy music with high quality stereo sound. The included remote control will provide Play/Pause & Previous/Next functions. Advance music browsing and song/artist information will still be handled from your Bluetooth source device.
Note: the HW-Q90R does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Wireless TV Connection: You can simplify the installation of the HW-Q90R by eliminating the need for a wired connection between a Bluetooth-enabled TV from any manufacturer or a WiFi enabled Samsung TV (2014-2019 models) and the soundbar. Simply plug the soundbar and the subwoofer into AC power and follow the simple pairing instructions to wirelessly connect the soundbar and your compatible TV. When a TV is connected using Bluetooth or WiFi, audio is transmitted in stereo (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Only one TV can be paired and connected at a time.
Alexa Voice Control (Optional): Use Amazon Alexa and an Amazon Echo device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to control the soundbar system with your voice. You can ask Alexa to turn on/off the system, change the input source, select an online music service, set the volume level, mute the volume, and stop playback. In the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS and Android), you will need to change the Soundbar's name to one that can be recognized by your Amazon Echo device.
SmartThings App: Use the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to turn your compatible smartphone or tablet into a remote control for the HW-Q90R system. You can also use the app to access internet radio and select online music services, as well as music libraries on your Apple iOS or Android device. In addition, the SmartThings app is used to connect the HW-Q90R system to your WiFi network and enable Amazon Alexa compatibility with an Amazon Echo device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Optional SmartThings Hub: Install the SmartThings Hub (sold separately) and use the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS and Android) on your mobile device as a remote control for the HW-Q90R system, as well as all of your Samsung SmartThings and other smart devices in your home.
Remote Control with HDMI Control (Anynet+): The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-Q90R system. Support for HDMI Control & Anynet+ offers linked operation with other Samsung Anynet+ components (up to 12) and other HDMI-CEC compatible components from one remote control. All components will need to be connected via HDMI and support either HDMI-CEC or Anynet+.
TV Remote Control: When the HW-Q90R system is connected to a Samsung smart TV released in 2017 or later, the Soundbar can be controlled using the TV's remote control. This function also allows you to use the TV menu to adjust the soundfield and various settings, as well as the volume and mute. You can also program Sony, LG, Vizio, Sharp, Panasonic, and Toshiba TV remotes to control Power/On Off, Volume Up/Down, and Mute functions of the HW-Q90R soundbar system.
Auto Power On/Off: The Samsung wireless audio soundbar system offers Auto Power On/Off functionality.
- Power Link (Auto On): The wireless audio soundbar system is automatically turned on when you turn on your TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system with an optical cable.
- Auto Off: If a TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system is off and there is no audio signal, the soundbar system will turn off after 5 minutes.
Network & Bluetooth Standby On Function: The Network Standby On function is available if a wireless connection has been properly established between a smart device and the soundbar. This function turns on the soundbar automatically when a smart device attempts to connect to the system via Bluetooth or WiFi. If you turn the system on via a Bluetooth connection, its input mode is set to BT automatically. To turn the Soundbar on via WiFi, you must have the Samsung SmartThings app installed on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Firmware Updates: Firmware & software updates are done through the SmartThings app (for Apple iOS & Android).
Wall-Mount or Tabletop Mount the Soundbar Speaker: The soundbar is designed to be mounted directly below or above your flat-panel HDTV in a horizontal orientation. It should be placed directly in front of your main listening position without any obstructions around the front, side, and upward firing drivers. The soundbar can be placed on a shelf or table-top. The soundbar also includes wall-mount brackets which allows you to fix the speaker to your wall.
Wireless Rear Speaker Placement: Thanks to their 2.4GHz wireless connectivity, you can place the wireless speakers up to 32.8' away from the soundbar. There are no cables to connect, except the AC power cords. The wireless rear speakers can be placed on a flat surface, such as a stand or shelf. They can also be wall-mounted using their rear-panel 1/4"-20 threaded insert and and optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The wireless rear speakers should be placed between 90° and 110° behind the main listening position. They are labeled "Left" and "Right".
Wireless Powered Sub Placement: Thanks to its 2.4GHz wireless connectivity, you can place the powered subwoofer up to 32.8' away from the soundbar. There are no cables to connect, except the AC power cord. It is recommended that you place the wireless powered sub along the same front wall as the soundbar speaker.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker, wireless rear speakers, and the wireless powered subwoofer will all have to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The active soundbar, wireless powered sub, and wireless rear speakers each include a detachable 5' AC power cord.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked