About the Samsung HW-R650
Follow every word
Follow every word
The bar's dedicated center channel makes dialogue easier to understand.
If you struggle to understand TV dialogue, Samsung's HW-R650 sound bar is a great option. It has a dedicated center channel speaker built in that will make voices sound clearer. It also offers a Smart Sound Mode that auto-detects what you're watching and adjusts the sound settings accordingly.
This bar will boost any TV's audio quality, but adding it to a Samsung TV is especially seamless, because they were designed to complement each other. You can control both the TV and the sound bar with your Samsung TV's remote and adjust sound settings right from the TV menu.
Options for music
The HW-R650 is also a powerful Bluetooth® speaker, so you'll be able to wirelessly stream your favorite tunes from compatible devices directly to the sound bar. And there's a USB port so you can play music straight from a thumb drive, as well.
The HW-R650 comes with a wireless subwoofer to round out the low end, but it's also compatible with Samsung's optional SWA-8500S wireless rear speaker kit for a complete surround sound upgrade.
- slim sound bar fits below most TVs on a stand
- six built-in drivers powered by 30 watts each
- Smart Sound Mode optimizes the sound for the content you're viewing
- Game Mode boosts game sound effects
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- connects wirelessly to compatible Samsung TVs via Bluetooth
- add optional Samsung SWA-8500S wireless speaker kit for full surround sound
- 41-3/4"W x 2-5/16"H x 3-7/16"D
- weight: 6.4 lbs.
- 6-1/2" woofer
- built-in 160-watt amplifier
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure delivers powerful bass response
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 8-1/16"W x 13-15/16"H x 12-9/16"D
- weight: 13.2 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- HDMI in/out with Audio Return Channel
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- minijack analog input
- USB port lets you play digital music files from a thumb drive
- bracket and hardware included for mounting bar to a wall
- Anynet (HDMI-CEC) function lets you control sound bar with your Samsung TV's remote
- remote control with subwoofer level control
- total system power: 340 watts
- system frequency response 42-20,000 Hz
- ENERGY STAR® certified
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HW-R650/ZA
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker (HW-R650)
- Wireless powered sub (PS-WR65D)
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- Two 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (AH59-02767A)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 58" Optical digital cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Screw-holders
- 2 Screws
- User Manual
- Wall-Mount Template
More details on the Samsung HW-R650
Features & specs
|Enclosure||Sealed (bar),Ported (sub)|
|Pieces in System||2|
|Subwoofer Driver||6.5 Cone|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||Android|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 2.1|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||---|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||42-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||180|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||160|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-5/16H x 41-3/4W x 3-7/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6.4 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||13-15/16H x 8-1/16W x 12-9/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||13.2 lbs|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The soundbar is a self-powered, 3-channel speaker with dedicated left, right, and center channels that can provide virtual surround sound. With a center channel dedicated for the sole purpose of delivering clear dialog, you'll never miss a word of your movie soundtrack. The soundbar consists of six total drivers (two for each channel) inside its acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure. The soundbar is powered by a built-in 180 watt amplifier that delivers 30 watts to each driver.
Wireless Powered Sub: The wireless powered sub receives its low-frequency audio signal wirelessly from the soundbar via 2.4GHz transmission. There are no cords to connect, except the AC power cord. The wireless powered sub features a side-firing 6.5" woofer inside a bass-reflex cabinet with a rear-firing port. The woofer is powered by a built-in 160 watt amplifier.
Dolby Digital & DTS Decoding: The Samsung HW-R650 soundbar system employs decoders compatible with Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch) & DTS (up to 5.1ch), as well as four Sound Modes.
- Surround Sound Expansion: The Surround Sound Expansion mode delivers a more realistic and immersive audio experience by adding depth and spaciousness to the movie soundtrack. From nearly any corner of the room, Surround Sound Expansion blankets the listening area both sideways and up to screen level for a more immersive surround effect.
- Smart Mode: The Smart Mode automatically analyzes the content and optimizes the sound setting for the best experience. The soundbar will automatically analyze content frequency to optimize audio and deliver clear dialog, so whether you are watching a loud sports match or a soft-spoken drama, sounds will be optimized for TV viewing.
- Game Mode: Game Mode boosts game sound effects and delivers a highly directional sound as if gamers are wearing a headset.
- Standard Mode: Select Standard mode if you simply want to enjoy 2ch stereo playback.
Audio Settings: The Samsung HW-R650 soundbar system provides various audio adjustments to customize your listening experience.
- AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a TV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
- Equalizer: You can independently adjust the system's Bass & Treble (-6 to +6), or you can go a step further and adjust the system's 7-band EQ (150, 300, 600, 1.2k, 2.5k, 5.0k, 10.0k Hz) from -6 to +6.
- Subwoofer Level: You can independently adjust the volume of the wireless powered subwoofer from -6 to +6, using the system's remote control.
- DRC (Dynamic Range Control): A Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range is compressed making it easier to hear at lower volume levels.
- Turn-On Volume: To protect your hearing, the Volume Restriction function restricts the volume to 20 if you turn on the soundbar system when the volume is set higher than 20.
Mounting Options: The slim, compact Samsung HW-R650's soundbar can be mounted on the wall with the included wall-mount brackets (wall screws not supplied) or simply placed on a table-top, while the wireless powered subwoofer can be positioned anywhere in the room (up to 32.8' away from soundbar) to achieve maximum audio performance.
Optional Wireless Surround Kit: The optional SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit (305SWA85KS, sold separately) lets you add rear speakers to the HW-R650 soundbar system without all the wires. Together with the HW-R650 , you can create a 5.1 channel system for a true surround sound experience. The SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit consists of a wireless receiver module and two rear speakers. The wireless receiver module receives a wireless audio signal from the HW-R650 soundbar, so you don't have to run speaker wire from the soundbar to the rear speakers. The wireless receiver module does have to connect to an AC wall outlet via its power cord and to the rear speakers via two speaker cables.
HDMI 1.4: The Samsung HW-R650 soundbar is fitted with one HDMI 1.4 input and one HDMI 1.4 output (ARC compatible). The HDMI input allows you to connect your Blu-ray player or cable/satellite box directly to the soundbar and then from its HDMI ARC output to your flat-panel TV. The HDMI 1.4 input and output support up to 1080p video, as well as Dolby Digital & DTS decoding (2ch only).
- 1080p: The soundbar's HDMI 1.4 input and output supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p video resolution (4K and HDR are not supported). It will also supports 3D video pass-through.
- Dolby Digital & DTS: The soundbar system's HDMI 1.4 input and output offer Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and 2ch PCM decoding.
- ARC: The unit's HDMI output also supports the ARC function. This allows you to connect your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box directly to the system's HDMI inputs and connect the system's HDMI output to your television for audio from the wireless audio soundbar system or your TV. Your TV must also be ARC compatible.
Note: Because with some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the soundbar directly; and then connect the soundbar's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance
Digital & Analog Audio Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Samsung HW-R650 soundbar system features both digital (optical) and analog (3.5mm) audio inputs.
- Optical Digital Input: The Samsung HW-R650's soundbar is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input to connect your television, Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and 2Ch PCM. The optical digital output of some flat-panel TVs only send a Dolby Digital audio signal when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch PCM from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- Aux Input: The Samsung HW-R650 's soundbar also features a stereo audio minijack (3.5mm) input to connect your analog television or other analog audio component.
Note: To get the best audio performance out of the Samsung HW-R650, use the system's HDMI input and optical digital input to connect your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box. Then connect the system's HDMI output to your TV's HDMI ARC input. By connecting your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box directly to the soundbar system, you'll gain Dolby Digital/DTS decoding from these two sources.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Samsung HW-R650 features built-in Bluetooth for wireless connection between the soundbar speaker system and your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device for wireless music streaming, as well as a wireless connection between the soundbar speaker and Bluetooth A2DP enabled TVs. The HW-R650's Bluetooth function has a wireless range of approximately 32.8'.
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming: You can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop to the Samsung HW-R650 and enjoy music with high quality stereo sound, all without wires. The HW-R650's remote can be used to control Play/Pause and Skip functions (advanced music navigation is still handled from your Bluetooth source device. The HW-R650 does not display song/artist information (song/artist info is still viewed on your Bluetooth source device). You can only pair and connect one mobile device at a time.
- Wireless TV Connection: You can simplify the installation of the HW-R650 by eliminating the need for a wired connection between a Bluetooth-enabled TV and the soundbar. Simply plug the soundbar and the subwoofer into AC power and follow the simple pairing instructions to wirelessly connect the soundbar to a Bluetooth A2DP enabled TV. When a TV is connected using Bluetooth, audio is transmitted in stereo (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Only one TV can be paired and connected at a time.
- This system does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Samsung HW-R650.
microUSB Port: You can connect and play music files from external USB mass storage class devices (such as a USB thumbdrive) using the soundbar's rear-panel microUSB port and a microUSB-to-USB adapter (sold separately). The HW-R650 supports playback of a variety of music files loaded onto a compatible USB device formatted in FAT16/32. You can control basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat. The system will also charge (5V/0.5A) your connected USB device. Compatible music files include -
- MP3: 80-320kbps; 16-48kHz
- WMA: 56-128kbps; 16-48kHz
- AAC: 48-320kpbs; 16-96kHz
- WAV: up to 3000kbps; 16-48kHz
- OGG: 50-500kbps;16-48kHz
Note: The microUSB port does not support USB hubs, card-readers, computers, Apple iOS devices, or Android devices.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker and the wireless powered subwoofer will both have to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately). The active soundbar includes an AC power adapter with an attached 58" DC cord and detachable 5' AC power cord. The wireless powered sub includes a detachable 5' AC power cord.
Firmware Updates (via microUSB): Samsung may offer updates for the soundbar's system firmware in the future. If an update is offered, you can download the firmware update from Samsung's Support website onto a USB thumbdrive inserted in your computer. Once the firmware is downloaded on your USB thumbdrive, plug the USB device into the soundbar's microUSB port using adapter cable (sold separately) for update.
Remote Control w/ Anynet+: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-R650 system. Anynet+ is a convenient feature that offers linked operation with other Samsung components (up to 12) that have the Anynet+ feature, and lets you control those products with one Samsung remote control. To operate this function, you must connect Samsung HW-R650 wireless audio soundbar system to an Anynet+ Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
Note: There are also side-panel controls (including Power, Source, and Volume) on the soundbar speaker.
TV Remote Control: When the HW-R500 system is connected to a Samsung Smart TV (released in 2017 or later), the soundbar can be controlled using the TV's remote control. This function also allows you to use the TV menu to adjust the soundfield and various settings, as well as the volume and mute. You can also program Sony, LG, Vizio, Sharp, Panasonic, and Toshiba TV remotes to control Power/On Off, Volume Up/Down, and Mute functions of the HW-R650 soundbar system.
Bluetooth Control: The Samsung HW-R650 soundbar system offers an Android compatible Bluetooth remote app and incorporates a Bluetooth Power On feature.
- Bluetooth Remote App (for Android): Download Samsung's Audio Remote app onto your Android (OS 3.0+) smartphone or tablet to control the HW-R650 soundbar system wirelessly from your mobile device over Bluetooth. This convenient app lets you control all the soundbar's basic functions such as power, volume, and the media controls, plus lets you control customizable functions such as the surround modes & EQ. *The Samsung Audio Remote App is not supported by Apple iOS devices.
- Bluetooth Power On: If a previously paired Bluetooth device (including a Samsung SoundConnect compatible TV) tries to pair with the soundbar when the Bluetooth Power On function is activated and the soundbar is turned off, the soundbar turns on automatically.
Auto Power On/Off: The Samsung HW-R650 soundbar system offers Auto Power On/Off functionality.
- Power Link (Auto On): The wireless audio soundbar system is automatically turned on when you turn on your TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system with an optical cable.
- Auto Off: If a TV or any device connected to the HW-R650 soundbar system is off and there is no audio signal, the soundbar system will turn off after 5 minutes.