About the Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor
Keep a watchful eye on your home
Keep a watchful eye on your home
Get alerted if your child opens an off-limits cabinet or drawer.
The SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor gives you real-time feedback on the status of your smart home. It monitors whether doors or windows are open or shut. It also keeps track of temperature and detects vibration. It talks wirelessly to the SmartThings hub, the brain of your customizable SmartThings home automation system. You can add as many compatible devices and sensors as you want, and control them all using the SmartThings Mobile app (Apple®/Android™/Windows®).
How it works
The Multipurpose Sensor is made up of two parts: a powerful magnet that attaches to the door or window, and the main body of the sensor that remains stationary on the frame. When the magnetic field is broken, you are immediately alerted by a notification on your phone. You can set custom alerts for each room in which you have a sensor installed.
It has a couple of tricks up its sleeve
This versatile sensor can tell you if there's an unexpected change in air temperature, or even if it detects any vibration. It's perfect for knowing whether you lowered the garage door when you left for work, or if someone has entered an off-limits area of the house. If the basement is suddenly hotter than it's supposed to be, you'll know about it. Use it to monitor drawers, safes, or cabinets. Pair it with the optional SmartThings outlet, and have your living room lamp turn on when you open your front door.
SmartThings plays nicely with others too
Samsung's SmartThings is designed around an open platform. Not only can you use SmartThings accessories, but there are a wide range of products from different companies that easily integrate into the system. You can add light bulbs, thermostats, cameras, door locks, wireless speakers and more. Control everything from a single app. Here are some products that we carry that work beautifully with your SmartThings system:
- Bose® speakers, including the SoundTouch® 10 and Wave® SoundTouch® music system IV
- Bose® home theater including the Lifestyle® 525 and Lifestyle® 535 systems
- Sonos®: PLAY:1, PLAY:3, PLAY:5, PLAYBAR, CONNECT, and CONNECT:AMP
- Samsung sound bars: HW-J650, HW-J6500, HW-J7500 and HW-J8500
- Belkin WeMo® Insight Switch and WeMo® LED bulbs
- Philips Hue Go and Hue LightStrip
- Logitech Harmony Hub
- monitors doors and windows
- detects vibration and change in temperature
- receive text alerts or push notifications on your smartphone
- find out if windows, doors, or drawers are open or closed
- be notified when valuable items have been accessed or moved
- place on the door of your mailbox to get an alert when your mail arrives
- includes an adhesive strip for easy placement
- communication protocol: ZigBee
- wireless range of 50-130 feet (depending on your home's construction)
- powered by a CR-2450 battery (pre-installed)
- compatible with:
- 1-3/8"W x 1-15/16"H x 3/4"D (sensor)
- 1-1/2"W x 9/16"H x 9/16"D (magnet)
- weight: 2.4 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # F-MLT-US-2
What's in the box:
- SmartThings 2-piece Multipurpose Sensor (with attached mounting bracket)
- 4 Flat-head screws (15mm)
- 2 Small dual-sided adhesive strips
- Long dual-sided adhesive strip
- Quick Start Guide
Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor
Overview: The Samsung SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor is much more than a simple open/closed sensor for windows or doors. Its built-in accelerometer can monitor vibration, so you can place one on your door to detect someone knocking, or on the washing machine to let you know when the laundry is done. An orientation sensor can also inform you the status of a garage door or other objects. It also has a temperature sensor to let you know if the room gets too hot or cold. The sensor and magnet can be mounted using the included screws or dual-sided adhesive. The Multipurpose Sensor has the following dimensions: Sensor: 1.348" x 1.946" x 0.709", Magnet: 0.537" x 1.499" x 0.541". The sensor weighs 0.64 ounces.
Note: The SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor requires the SmartThings Hub.
SmartThings Monitoring System: The SmartThings Home Monitoring system contains several sensors and a central monitoring hub to help you make sure your home is safe. Available SmartThings sensors include this Multipurpose Sensor, a Motion Sensor, a Smart Outlet, Arrival Sensor, and a Water Leak Sensor. Numerous devices (locks, thermostats, wireless music systems, cameras, lightbulbs, etc.) from Samsung and other manufacturers can be controlled through the SmartThings system. The SmartThings monitoring system is controlled via Wi-Fi and the SmartThings Mobile app for your smartphone or tablet. No contracts or monthly fees are required to monitor your home with the SmartThings system.
SmartThings Mobile App: The SmartThings Mobile app for your smartphone or tablet lets you easily control, monitor, and secure your home from virtually anywhere in the world. The app is available from the Apple App Store for iOS devices running version 7.0 or later, from Google Play for Android devices (version varies with device), and from the Microsoft Store for Windows mobile devices.