About the Samsung Galaxy NX-GN120
The best features of a tablet and a camera
The Galaxy NX features an Android™ operating system on a large LCD screen.
The best features of a tablet and a camera
For some time now the worlds of mobile devices and digital imaging have been merging: decent fixed-lens cameras on tablets and smartphones, Wi-Fi® and apps on cameras. But not until now have they been so successfully integrated. The Samsung Galaxy NX-GN120 uses the operating system found in many of the world's top smart devices, Android™ Jelly Bean™ 4.2, and harnesses it to be part of the control solution for one of their most sophisticated cameras ever.
Integrating a mini-tablet-like operating system into what feels like a traditional high-end interchangeable-lens camera has serious advantages. First of all, this camera is almost always connected, with the ability to interface with Wi-Fi networks and high-speed cellular networks, including 3G/4G/LTE networks. Bluetooth® comes standard, too. All that means you'll always be able to relay what this camera captures to the people that need to see it, as soon as they need to see it. Plus, you'll be able to interact with your camera remotely in new and productive ways.
Apps make it grow with you
This highly connected camera can evolve right along with your passion for photography. The Camera Studio widget lets you customize the Galaxy NX to your personal preference, as it contains commonly used apps for taking and editing your pictures and video. Find great shot opportunities based on your location with Photo Suggest. Create a logical theme for your pictures with Story Album. Video Maker will help you edit your productions right on the camera's large touchscreen LCD, and Paper Artist will help you create unique treatments for your still captures. Best of all, your camera grows with you, as new apps are coming down the pike all the time, and old ones get updated with new features.
Sharp, colorful images
With all this connectivity, you're probably wondering if they paid as much attention to the camera side of this equation. As it turns out, yes, they did. In spades. A generous 20.3-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor is engineered to include two autofocus strategies, creating a hybrid AF system that's capable of fast, accurate tracking of challenging action. Samsung's innovative array of interchangeable lenses add depth and dimension to your creative palette. There's a built-in pop-up flash, a hot-shoe that supports more pro-oriented external flashes, and the best-in-class 4.47-inch LCD screen makes it easy to compose and edit your images with efficiency and artistry.
It's smart, too
One of Samsung's primary aims is to take away the worry of fussing with settings, and replace that with the ability to make artistic choices on-the-fly. Enter Smart Mode, a basket term for the wide variety of processing and capturing options the Galaxy NX offers. Action Freeze mode will instantly capture very fast action. Light Trace makes eye-opening long-exposure effects easy. Drama shot merges multiple instances of your moving subject over a static background. Multi-exposure mode blends two different shots into a new entity with a different sensibility. These are just a few of the creative options you'll find as you discover what the Galaxy NX-GN120 can do.
Even better, it gives you the option to tweak manual settings as you gain familiarity with the camera, and store those as custom settings that you can instantly apply from the Camera Studio widget. No remembering a perfect "recipe" from scratch when the moment arrives, you'll be ready with the right approach, right away.
- 20.3-megapixel effective recording
- dual-band Wi-Fi® sharing allows fast and stable transfer of photos and video to smartphones and tablets in addition to viewing them on compatible TVs and PCs
- LTE 4G, LTE, and HSPA+ wireless connectivity (wireless data account required)
- APS-C size HD CMOS image sensor (23.4 X 15.7 mm) for rich tonal gradation and true-to-life color
- includes 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 27.7-84.7mm)
- large 4.47" LCD touchscreen makes control and monitoring easy
- features Android 4.2.2 "Jelly Bean" operating system
- GPS integrated into camera electronics
- one-lens 3D picture and movie creation is available with the optional 2D/3D 45mm lens kit (view on compatible 3D HDTVs)
- fast, electronically controlled shutter has a maximum speed of 1/6000 sec.
- 1.6 GHz CPU with dual Quad Core application processor
- 16GB on-board memory for operating system, apps, and file content
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080p @ 30 frames per second)
- hybrid phase/contrast detection autofocus system combines focus strategies for rapid, precise performance (105 phase-detection points, 247 contrast-detection points)
- Smart Mode 2.0 offers artistic ways to engage your creativity: Beauty Face, Waterfall, Fireworks, Silhouette modes and more
- creative picture effects include Colored Pencil, Oil Sketch, Miniature and more
- built-in internal pop-up flash (guide number: 11 at ISO100)
- hot shoe hosts an optional SEF220A external flash unit
- intuitive on-screen touch interface
- additional Samsung NX-mount lenses are available to stretch your creative options
- includes creativity-inspiring features like Photo Suggest, Story Album, and Camera Studio
- also includes pre-loaded Dropbox app with 50GB of cloud storage applied to your account for two years
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Samsung NX-mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: 8.6 frames per second
- shutter speed range: 30-1/6,000 seconds, bulb (limit 4 minutes)
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600 selectable
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, lens priority, and fully automatic exposure modes
- exposure bracketing: up to 3 frames
- flash sync speed: less than 1/180 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Super Fine, Fine and Normal), RAW
- MP4 movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at up to 30 frames per second with stereo sound (3D shooting at 30fps only, .MPO format)
- accepts optional Micro SD, SDHC and SDXC cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed micro USB interface (cable included)
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- dual-channel 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
- 5-3/8"W x 4"H x 1-1/16"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery or media): 14.46 oz.
- Samsung NX-mount 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens
- rechargeable lithium ion battery
- USB charger (micro USB cable included)
- camera strap
- quick start guide
- Adobe Lightroom 5 software DVD
- body cap, front and rear lens caps
- MFR # EK-GN120ZKAXAR
What's in the box:
- Digital camera body (black)
- Body cap (installed)
- Hot shoe cover (installed)
- 18-55mm F3.5-5.6ED zoom lens
- 58mm Lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- SCH-B Lens Hood
- B735EU Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.8V 4360mAh 16.56 Wh)
- ETA-U90JBE AC adapter (DC Output: 5.0V 2.0A)
- 39.5" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- Neck strap
- Storage pouch
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 on DVD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Health & Safety and Warranty Guide
- Samsung NX lens booklet (Eng)
- Samsung NX lens booklet (Span)
Samsung Galaxy NX-GN120 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Samsung Galaxy NX-GN120
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||4.47"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||27-82.5mm|
|Built-in Flash||Unit included|
|Internal Memory||16 GB|
|Sensor Size||23.4 x 15.7mm CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||5472 x 3648|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/30p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||14.4|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Samsung Galaxy NX (NX-GN120) digital camera gives you the performance and quality of a DSLR with all of the connectivity of a smartphone. The Galaxy NX is equipped with the Samsung NX mount, and comes with an 18-55mm zoom lens. You can shoot up to 20MP still images, as well as Full HD video. The Galaxy NX features Wi-Fi and the Android 4.2.2 Jellybean operating system to let you share your memories.
4.77" Touchscreen LCD Monitor: The Galaxy NX features a huge 4.77" color touchscreen HD display with 1280 x 720 resolution. The monitor gives you a clear view of your subject and recorded images. The monitor has a field of view of approximately 100%.
Viewfinder: In addition to the LCD monitor, the Galaxy NX has an electronic viewfinder with SVGA (800 x 600) resolution. It has a diopter adjustment so you can focus the viewfinder to your eyesight. The camera automatically switches from LCD to viewfinder when you bring the camera up to your eyes.
Recording Media: The Samsung Galaxy NX digital camera can record still images and video onto microSD Memory Cards (up to 4 GB), microSDHC Memory Cards (up to 32 GB), or microSDXC Memory Cards (up to 64 GB). Class 6 or higher cards are recommended. The camera has a 16 GB built-in memory, however, only a portion is available for image storage.
Image Sensor: The Samsung Galaxy NX digital camera is equipped with a 23.5 x 15.7mm APS-C-sized CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 21.6 mega-pixels and an effective pixel count of approximately 20.3 mega-pixels for high-quality still images and video. The built-in Image Sensor Cleaning System removes harmful dust particles from the sensor by vibrating 60,000 times per second. The sensor cleaning procedure can be performed when selected in the menu, or set to automatically operate whenever the camera is powered on.
Image Recording Formats: The digital camera records still images in JPEG and RAW formats. Uncompressed RAW images are saved without loss of data, with the photo size set to 20M (5472 x 3648). You can manipulate the white balance, contrast, saturation, and sharpness with editing software before it is compressed into a standard format. In addition, high-definition and standard-definition movie clips with AAC audio (monaural) are recorded in H.264 (MPEG4.AVC).
Included Lens: The Galaxy NX comes with the 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Zoom NX lens. The lens can be used in many shooting conditions, from wide angle landscapes to beautiful portraits. The intuitive i-Function button gives you quick and easy access to the camera's manual settings, such as shutter speed and aperture, while you preview the image in the viewfinder or monitor. It has a switch on the barrel for selecting Auto Focusing or Manual Focusing. The built-in Optical Image Stabilization helps you get blur-free photos, even in low light. Other specifications of the lens include:
- Minimum Focus Distance: 11.03"
- Magnification: 0.22x
- Angle of View: 75.9° to 28.7°
- Construction: 12 elements in 9 groups
- Dimensions: Diameter=2.489", Length=2.776"-4.063"
- Weight: 6.7 ounces
Still Image Size: The camera can record JPEG still images in a 3:2, 16:9, or 1:1 aspect ratio with three compression ratio settings (Super Fine, Fine, and Normal). RAW format photos are captured alone, or along with a JPEG image in one of the above compression ratio settings. Still images can be recorded in the following sizes:
|20M: 5472 x 3648||16.9M: 5472 x 3080||13.3M: 3648 x 3648|
|10.1M: 3888 x 2592||7.8M: 3712 x 2088||7M: 2640 x 2640|
|5.9M: 2976 x 1984||4.9M: 2944 x 1656||4M: 2000 x 2000|
|2M: 1728 x 1152||2.1M: 1920 x 1080||1.1M: 1024 x 1024|
Movies: In addition to still images, the Galaxy NX can record movies in HQ (High Quality) or Normal Quality. Maximum recording time is 29 minutes 59 seconds, except for 1080/30P (20 minutes) and 240/30P (30 seconds). The following movie sizes are available:
- 1080/30P: 1920 x 1080 (30 fps) 16:9
- 810/24P: 1920 x 810 (24 fps) 2.35:1
- 720/60P: 1280 x 720 (60 fps) 16:9
- 720/30P: 1280 x 720 (30 fps) 16:9
- 480/60P: 640 x 480 (60 fps) 4:3
- 480/30P: 640 x 480 (30 fps) 4:3
- 240/30P: 320 x 240 (30 fps) 4:3
Mobile Access: The Galaxy NX has a slot for a SIM card provided by your mobile service provider, enabling you to access the Internet and thousands of Android apps via a high-speed 3G or 4G LTE network (active data account required).
Built-in Wi-Fi: The camera also has built-in Wi-Fi so you can connect to the Internet or to your smartphone or computer via a Wireless LAN or Direct Wi-Fi. When connected, you can use your smart device for the following:
- Share Shot: Photos captured with the camera are automatically saved to a connected smart phone.
- Buddy Photo Share: Set the camera to recognize a person's face that you have tagged in a photo and send it to that person.
- ChatON Photo Share: Send a photo directly to another device via ChatON.
- Remote Viewfinder: You can use the smart phone to frame your photos, change shooting options, and as a remote shutter release. Once the shot is taken, it will appear on the smart phone's screen.
Bluetooth: With built-in Bluetooth, you can connect wirelessly to other Bluetooth devices, such as headsets, hands-free car kits, and Bluetooth-enabled handhelds, computers, printers, and wireless devices. Bluetooth transmission has a range of approximately 30 feet.
GPS Tag: With built-in GPS, location, time, and weather information can be attached to the photos you take. Photos with location information can be used for GeoTagging, and linking to Google Maps.
OIS (Optical Image Stabilization): Optical image stabilization reduces the effect of camera shake and help you get a well-exposed image in dim conditions. OIS can only be used when a lens with the OIS function is attached to the camera. The supplied 18-55mm lens is OIS-compatible.
Operation Type Selection: The Galaxy NX allows you to select the type of operation you want out of the camera. For basic camera operations, without many of the advanced features, you should select "Standard" operation. If you like to frequently change shooting options using the smart panel, you can select the "Professional" mode.
Recording Mode: The Samsung Galaxy NX digital camera offers various recording modes to match your shooting preference. Using the Mode Screen, you can choose from the following: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual, User Mode, My Mode, Auto, and Smart.
Auto Focus Area: You can select your preferred auto focus area:
- Center AF: focuses on the center of the frame
- Multi AF: focuses on one or more of the focus points
- Face Detection AF: focuses on up to 10 faces to set the focus
- Tracking AF: allows you to track and automatically focus on your subject, even when the subject is moving or when you change the shot composition
- One Touch Shot: as you touch the desired subject, the camera focuses on that subject and takes a photo automatically
Focus Lock: Use the camera's focus lock function to focus on a subject not positioned in the center of the picture.
Drive Modes: The camera offers several drive modes to suit your shooting needs:
- Single: Takes a single photo.
- Continuous: Images will be taken continuously until the shutter button is released or the memory is full. At Continuous Normal, you can capture up to 5 photos per second, or at Continuous High, you can shoot up to 8 shots per second.
- Burst: Camera rapidly takes multiple photos with a single press of the shutter button. You can capture up to 10 shots per second (3 seconds), 15 per second (2 seconds), or 30 shots per second (1 second). The image size is fixed to 5M.
- Timer: The timer function takes a picture after a preset delay. You can choose between 2 and 30 seconds in 1 second increments.
- Auto Exposure Bracketing (AE Bracketing): Takes three pictures in a series in different exposures: normal exposure, under exposure, and over exposure.
- White Balance Bracketing (WB Bracketing): Takes three pictures in a series with different white balance settings. You can set the interval of the white balance value from six choices.
Exposure Compensation: You can adjust the exposure lighter or darker compared to the camera's auto-exposure setting. You can adjust the exposure value from +3.0EV to -3.0EV in steps of 1/3EV.
Metering Mode: The camera gives you three options for measuring the brightness of the scene:
- Multi: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. This is suitable for general use.
- Spot: Only the rectangular area in the center of the LCD monitor will be metered for light. This is suitable when the subject in the center is exposed correctly, regardless of the back lighting.
- Center Weighted: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. However, the calculation will be biased towards the center of the image area. This is suitable for taking a picture of small objects like a flower or insects.
Flash: The Samsung Galaxy NX has a built-in, pop-up flash. There is also a hot-shoe for attaching an external flash, if desired. You can choose from the following flash modes: Smart Flash, Auto Flash, Auto + Red-eye, Fill-in Flash, Fill-in + Red-eye, 1st Curtain, and 2nd Curtain.
White Balance: The white balance control allows you to adjust the colors to appear more natural. The camera has ten white balance modes: Auto WB, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent White, Fluorescent NW, Fluorescent Daylight, Tungsten, Flash WB, Custom Set, and Color Temperature.
ISO Sensitivity: The speed or specific light-sensitivity of a camera is rated by ISO numbers. A higher ISO setting allows for faster shutter speed, so you can take photos indoors or in low light without the need for a flash. You can select Auto ISO sensitivity (up to 3200) or select the ISO value manually between ISO 100 and ISO 25600 in 1 EV or 1/3 EV steps.
Gallery: The Samsung Galaxy NX displays all of your photos and videos in the Gallery for playback, editing, sharing, and printing.
Slide Show: Images can be displayed continuously at preset intervals with various slide-show transition effects on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offer pre-recorded background music to play along with your still image slide show. Intervals between photos can be set to 1, 3, or 5 seconds. You can select all photos to display in the slide show, or only photos from a specific date, or individually selected images. Other display options include: photo frame, photo note, signature, view details about the picture, and edit. In addition to playing back photos on the camera, you can choose to share the photo on other AllShare/SamsungLink devices, or share via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi Direct, or other accounts such as email and Gmail.
Image Edit: When playing back photos, you can perform the following edits:
- Cropping: You can create a new file by selecting a portion of an existing file.
- Rotate: The orientation of the image can be changed by rotating it Left 90, Right 90, 180, Horizontal, or Vertical.
- Resize: You can change the picture resolution to a smaller size for e-mailing or loading to a website. Available resolutions depend upon the size of the selected photo.
- Color: An existing photo can be adjusted as follows: Auto Adjustment, Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, RGB adjustment, Color Temperature, Exposure, and Hue.
- Effects: Add vignette, gray-scale, sepia, vintage, faded color, turquoise, tint, cartoon, moody, fisheye, negative, nostalgia, engraving, sketch art, downlight, blue wash, yellow glow, sharpen, blur, and soft glow effects.
- Portrait: You can apply various face touch-up effects, including red-eye fix, airbrush face, face brightness, out-of-focus, beauty face, face reshaping, and spot healing.
- Sticker: Place various stickers, icons, and other graphics on the photo.
- Drawing: You can draw directly on the picture using a brush, pen, or eraser.
- Frame: Place a border around the image. There are numerous border types to choose from.
Movie Playback/Editing: You can playback a movie clip on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offers basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Rewind, Fast Forward, and Volume Control. Editing functions include Trim, Slideshow, Favorite, Rename, and Settings. You can also access the Video Editor app to do more sophisticated edits.
USB Port: The Samsung Galaxy NX features a single micro-USB port which allows you to connect the camera to your computer via the supplied USB cable.
HDMI: The Galaxy NX has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output, which will allow you to connect the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV for viewing videos or photos in high definition. An optional micro-HDMI to HDMI cable is required. The HDMI output resolution can be set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p. The HDMI connection is HDMI-CEC/Anynet+ compatible, allowing you to control some camera functions using the remote control from the HDMI-equipped TV.
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery: The Samsung Galaxy NX is powered by the B735EU Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7-volts, 4360mAh, 16.57Wh). It provides power for approximately 440 still image shots, 190 minutes of video shooting time, 14 hours of video playback time, 104 hours of music playback, or 13 hours of internet use via 3G or 16 hours via Wi-Fi. The battery charges in approximately 4 hours using the supplied AC adapter and USB cable.
1 question already asked