About the Quad S-C
Clear, open sound from this compact design
Clear, open sound from this compact design
Although not physically large, Quad's S-C produces clear, open sound that connects to the on-screen action. And if music is as important to you as movies, the S-C's effortlessly reproduces the nuances of instruments and vocals. Like the rest of Quad's S Series speakers, the S-C features an advanced ribbon tweeter.
Quad's ribbon tweeter simply gets out of the way
The S-C's ribbon tweeter produces sound in a way that's simpler and more direct than the more common dome tweeter. In a dome tweeter, the signal from your amplifier drives a voice coil, which is connected to the dome-shaped diaphragm, but only around the circumference, so a bit of audio information may be lost.
In a ribbon tweeter, the metal ribbon is suspended in a strong magnetic field. Basically, the diaphragm is the voice coil, so it's always under the control of the signal from the amplifier. Because the ribbon is directly driven by the amplifier, its resolution of sonic detail is extremely high.
Ribbons have always been prized for their pure, clear sound, but they haven't always been very rugged. Quad's ribbon tweeter is made from a lightweight metal alloy that is strengthened by a thin layer of polycarbonate. This sandwich construction makes the tweeter robust enough to handle serious power.
Dual ports give low frequencies added oomph
The S-C's dual 4" woofers use woven Kevlar® cones that are lightweight, yet rigid, for nimble, accurate midrange and midbass reproduction. The woofers get a performance boost from a pair of rear-firing ports, which extend the S-C's usable bass response.
Quad's history of innovation
Founded in 1936 to build public address systems, Quad introduced two of the most important speaker innovations of the past century: the first ribbon-based home speaker, in 1949, and the first full-range electrostatic speaker, in 1957. Today, Quad speakers and electronics are still designed and engineered in England, and are manufactured in China.
- 2-way design
- 1/2" x 1-3/4" True Ribbon tweeter for open, transparent sound
- dual 4" woven Kevlar® cone mid/woofers
- bass-reflex cabinet with dual rear-firing ports
- frequency response: 65-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 25-150 watts
- dual sets of binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- removable magnetic grille
- 15-3/4"W x 6-3/8"H x 9-1/8"D
- weight: 13.9 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # QUADSCMAH
What's in the box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- Grille (pre-installed)
- 2 Metal straps (pre-installed)
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Pair of white gloves
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Registration Form
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Quad S-C
Features & specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||4|
|Frequency Response||65-20k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Ribbon Tweeter: The Quad S-C center-channel loudspeaker features a 0.5" x 1.75" ribbon tweeter that delivers effortless extended high frequencies. This new ribbon tweeter developed for the S Series utilizes the latest techniques and materials. The ribbon itself is a sandwich construction, making it robust enough to handle high-powered amplifiers, and is fully immersed in a powerful magnetic field so that it accomplishes its dual role of being both the voice coil and sound radiator. As well as delivering excellent transient response and superb musical detail, the sound from this ribbon tweeter is smooth right up to the highest musical overtones beyond the limits of human hearing. Controlled directivity maintains this sound quality over a wide horizontal arc to cover all listeners, while vertical dispersion is tailored to avoid floor and ceiling reflections - resulting in the purest high frequency performance.
Dual Woven Kevlar Cone Woofers: The ribbon tweeter is aligned with two 4" midrange/midbass drivers through a sophisticated crossover network. The 4" midrange/midbass driver features a woven Kevlar cone and rubber surround. The woven Kevlar cones arelightweight, yet rigid for excellent midrange and midbass frequency reproduction that sounds natural and uncolored.
Bass Reflex Port: The Quad S-C center-channel loudspeaker features a bass reflex design enclosure with two rear-firing ports for greater efficiency and bigger bass response.
Furniture Quality Cabinet: The speaker cabinet uses a sandwich construction of alternate layers of MDF and high-density particleboard to reduce panel resonance to below the level of audibility. The cabinet features rounded edges which help to reduce coloration from standing audio waves inside the cabinet. The speaker cabinet is finished with a beautiful wood veneer and includes a magnetically attached cloth grille.
Dual Binding Posts: The S-C center-channel loudspeaker has two sets of binding post terminals connected by metal straps. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Using the dual binding posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. The binding-post speaker terminals are color-coded (red+/black-) and are at floor-level for easy identification and hookup.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Placement & Mounting Options: The Quad S-C center-channel loudspeaker can be placed on shelf, tapletop, stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), or orther flat mounting surface. The Quad S-C should be centered below or above your TV. Self-adhesive rubber feet are included to isolate the speaker from the mounting surface and to protect the mounting surface and speaker cabinet from scratches (the rubber feet add aproximately 0.375" to the overall height of the speaker).
- The most uncolored sound will be obtained when the speaker is at least 7.875" from the rear walls and 11.8125" from the side walls. If the loudspeaker is operated closer to the rear wall the bass will increase, but if it is placed too close to the wall the bass may sound too "boomy" and non-distinct.
- The Quad S-C does not offer any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speakers.
S Series: Quad designed the S Series line-up of speakers to deliver all the nuances and passion of the original musical and theatrical performance. Quad's S Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (S-4/S-5), two bookshelf loudspeakers (S-1/S-2), and a center channel loudspeaker (S-C).