About the Quad Vena II
A versatile integrated amp
A versatile integrated amp
When I see veteran Crutchfield Advisors mouthing the word “wow” to one another during a training session, I know they've heard something special. That's what happened when the Quad Vena II integrated amp was demonstrated at our Charlottesville HQ. The Vena II is almost compact enough to use in a desktop system, but it packs impressive punch.
The trainer called this the "Swiss Army knife of integrated amps," and I can understand why. In his demo, he used its 45 watts per channel to power entry-level Quad S-1 bookshelf speakers, then switched them to more demanding Wharfedale D330 towers. He played a pulsing, atmospheric dance track, and followed that up with a straight-ahead acoustic blues cut. The Vena II's Class AB amp is powered by a beefy toroidal transformer, which performed flawlessly through all the changes.
Connections for your components
The Vena II has a superb ESS ES9018 DAC inside that makes digital sources sound their best. There are two coaxial digital inputs on the back of the unit, plus a Toslink optical input for connecting a CD player, TV, or similar device. A USB Type-B input lets you connect a computer. Coaxial and Toslink outputs let you pass the signal to another digital component.
Analog music fans have plenty to work with, too. There are two sets of auxiliary RCA inputs, and a dedicated phono stage for connecting a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge. A single set of RCA preamp outputs let you upgrade to a more powerful amp while still using the Vena's preamp and DAC.
- 45 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)
- 65 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)
- class AB amplifier with beefy toroidal transformer
- built-in Bluetooth® with aptX audio coding for a better-sounding connection to compatible devices
- built-in phono stage for turntables with moving magnet cartridges
- premium ESS ES9018 DAC supports hi-res digital files up to 32-bit/384kHz
- compatible file types: ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, WMA, MP3, AAC, AACHE, AAC+, DSD64, DSD128, DSD256
- dedicated headphone amplifier
- digital inputs: 2 Toslink optical, 1 coaxial
- digital outputs: 1 Toslink optical, 1 coaxial
- USB Type-B input for connecting to a computer
- 2 sets of stereo RCA aux inputs
- phono input for connecting a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge
- 1 set of stereo RCA outputs
- 1/4" headphone jack on front panel
- one pair of binding post speaker terminals
- USB Type-A input for software updates
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 12-5/16"W x 3-11/16"H x 11-7/8"D
- weight: 13.4 lbs. (metal enclosure); 16.5 lbs. (wood enclosure)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # QUADVENAIIMAH
More details on the Quad Vena II