About the Quad Vena II System Pack
Perfectly matched amp and speaker combo
Plenty of connections for digital and analog sources on the back of the Quad Vena II integrated amplifier.
Perfectly matched amp and speaker combo
We heard this system in a live training session at Crutchfield HQ, and our veteran Advisors were impressed. Quad matched their Vena II integrated amplifier with a pair of Quad S-1 bookshelf speakers to create a space-saving two-channel system that performs like a champ.
Connections for your components
The Vena II has a superb ESS ES9018 DAC inside that makes digital sources sound their best. There are two coaxial digital inputs on the back of the unit, plus a Toslink optical input for connecting a CD player, TV, or similar device. A USB Type-B input lets you connect a computer. Coaxial and Toslink outputs let you pass the signal to another digital component.
Analog music fans have plenty to work with, too. There are two sets of auxiliary RCA inputs, and a dedicated phono stage for connecting a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge. A single set of RCA preamp outputs let you upgrade to a more powerful amp while still using the Vena's preamp and DAC.
Compact speakers designed for listeners
The S-1's 4" woven-Kevlar® mid/bass driver is nimble in the midrange, and blends seamlessly with the extremely quick ribbon tweeter, which looks and performs differently than the dome tweeters most speakers employ.
Audiophiles love the open, transparent sound of ribbon tweeters. Quad's ribbon is made from a lightweight metal alloy that is strengthened by a thin layer of polycarbonate. This sandwich construction makes the tweeter robust enough to handle high-powered amplifiers.
The ribbon tweeter's shape radiates sound in a wide horizontal arc, while its vertical dispersion is purposely limited to reduce interaction with the floor or ceiling. For that reason, it's especially important to place the speakers so that the tweeters are at ear level. Using 24" stands should do the trick in most systems.
- stereo integrated amplifier matched with a pair of bookshelf speakers
Vena II Integrated Amplifier:
- 45 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)
- class AB amplifier with beefy toroidal transformer
- built-in Bluetooth® with aptX audio coding for a better-sounding connection to compatible devices
- built-in phono stage for turntables with moving magnet cartridges
- premium ESS ES9018 DAC supports hi-res digital files up to 32-bit/384kHz
- compatible file types: ALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, WMA, MP3, AAC, AACHE, AAC+, DSD64, DSD128, DSD256
- dedicated headphone amplifier
- digital inputs: 2 Toslink optical, 1 coaxial
- digital outputs: 1 Toslink optical, 1 coaxial
- USB Type-B input for connecting to a computer
- 2 sets of stereo RCA aux inputs
- phono input for connecting a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge
- 1 set of stereo RCA outputs
- 1/4" headphone jack on front panel
- one pair of binding post speaker terminals
- detachable power cord
- 12-5/16"W x 3-11/16"H x 11-7/8"D
- weight: 13.4 lbs. (metal enclosure); 16.5 lbs. (wood enclosure)
- warranty: 2 years
Quad S-1 Bookshelf Speakers:
- 1/2" x 1-3/4" True Ribbon tweeter for open, transparent sound
- 4" woven Kevlar® cone mid/bass driver
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet with rear-firing port
- frequency response: 58-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 84 dB
- dual 5-way binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- 6-3/16"W x 11-1/4"H x 10-5/8"D
- weight: 11.5 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # QUADVENAIISYSPKGRYBLK
What's in the box:
- Quad Vena II:
- Integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V battery
- Bluetooth antenna
- USB 2.0 Audio Driver Install Disc
- Owner's Manual
- Quad S-1:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles (pre-installed)
- 4 Metal straps (pre-installed)
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Pair of white gloves
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Registration Form
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Quad Vena II System Pack
Class AB Stereo Amplifier: The Quad Vena II features a Class AB stereo amplifier rated at 45 watts per channel (into 8 ohms) or 65 watts per channel (into 4 ohms). The Class AB amplifier section utilizes a 200VA toroidal transformer for its power supply. This is followed by 2x15000uF reservoir capacity (30000uF in total), helping the amp to maintain firm control of the music while enabling excellent dynamic range.
ESS Sabre32 DAC (ES9018K2M): The Quad Vena II employs an ESS Sabre32 DAC (digital-to-analog converter) with a custom designed post-DAC active filter for natural, unaltered sound. The unit supports up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD256 two-channel stereo music files. This ensures the amp is fully equipped to make the most of today's hi-res music formats, as well as future advances in ultra-high-definition digital sound.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Built-in Bluetooth A2DP gives you the freedom of wireless connectivity for your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You'll be able to wirelessly stream audio from your Bluetooth source device to the Vena II. The Quad Vena II also supports the aptX codec for higher quality wireless audio for select Bluetooth-enabled source devices.
USB-B Port: The Vena II's USB-B port (1.1/2.0 compliant) allows you to listen to digital music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8/10) or Mac (OS X) computer. The unit supports PCM (44.1-384kHz) and DSD (64/128/256) stereo music files. A Windows PC will require a separate USB driver that can be downloaded onto your PC using the included USB 2.0 Audio Driver Install Disc.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs/Outputs: The Quad Vena II is also outfitted with two optical (toslink) digital inputs and one coaxial (RCA) digital input that support 2ch PCM audio files (44.1-192kHz). The digital inputs do not support multichannel audio formats such as Dolby Digital and DTS. There is an optical and coaxial digital output for connecting the Vena II to a high quality external DAC.
Analog Inputs/Outputs (including Phono): The Vena II is equipped with three stereo RCA inputs and one stereo RCA output. The three stereo RCA inputs consists of two line-level inputs for connecting a CD Player or Tape Deck, and one Phono MM input for connecting a turntable. The Phono input features a high-quality, low-noise, JFET-based circuit with precise RIAA equalization. The stereo RCA output is a variable preamp output that allows you to connect an external power amplifier.
Binging Post Speaker Terminals: The Quad Vena II provides binding post terminals to connect your speaker wire and speakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only).
Dedicated Headphone Amp: The Vena II features a front-panel 1/4 headphone jack and incorporates a dedicated headphone amp with current-feedback circuitry. Its gain bandwidth and high slew rate delivers a more dynamic, detailed and engaging performance with all types of headphones.
Simple Control: The Vena IIhas a large motorized rotary volume knob on the front-panel. Source selection consists of eight push buttons for the Bluetooth, Aux, Phono, USB, Optical, and Coax inputs. The main power switch is located on the back panel. The unit also includes a small, simple wireless remote control. The IR remote can control power, speaker mute, source selection, and volume. It is powered by a CR2025 battery (included).
Auto Standby: The Quad Vena II will autoamtically go into "standby" mode when there is no audio signal input or operation for approxiately 30 minutes.
Compact Aluminum Housing: The Vena II integrated amplifier features a compact aluminum housing in a "lancaster grey" finish.
Ribbon Tweeter: The Quad S-1 bookshelf loudspeaker features a 0.5" x 1.75" ribbon tweeter that delivers effortless extended high frequencies. This new ribbon tweeter developed for the S Series utilizes the latest techniques and materials. The ribbon itself is a sandwich construction, making it robust enough to handle high-powered amplifiers, and is fully immersed in a powerful magnetic field so that it accomplishes its dual role of being both the voice coil and sound radiator. As well as delivering excellent transient response and superb musical detail, the sound from this ribbon tweeter is smooth right up to the highest musical overtones beyond the limits of human hearing. Controlled directivity maintains this sound quality over a wide horizontal arc to cover all listeners, while vertical dispersion is tailored to avoid floor and ceiling reflections - resulting in the purest high frequency performance.
Woven Kevlar Cone Woofer: The ribbon tweeter is aligned with a 4" midrange/midbass driver through a sophisticated crossover network. The 4" midrange/midbass driver features a woven Kevlar cone and rubber surround. The woven Kevlar cone is lightweight, yet rigid for excellent midrange and midbass frequency reproduction that sounds natural and uncolored.
Bass Reflex Port: The Quad S-1 bookshelf loudspeaker features a bass reflex design enclosure with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response.
Furniture Quality Cabinet: The speaker cabinet uses a sandwich construction of alternate layers of MDF and high-density particleboard to reduce panel resonance to below the level of audibility. The cabinet features rounded edges which help to reduce coloration from standing audio waves inside the cabinet. The speaker cabinet is finished with a beautiful black wood veneer and includes a magnetically attached cloth grille.
Dual Binding Posts: The S-1 bookshelf loudspeaker has two sets of binding post terminals connected by metal straps. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Using the dual binding posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. The binding-post speaker terminals are color-coded (red+/black-) and are at floor-level for easy identification and hookup.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Applications: The Quad S-1 bookshelf loudspeaker is very versatile and can be in a two-channel stereo or multichannel home theater setup. The S-1 can be used as front channels or rear surrounds in a home theater application.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Quad S-1 bookshelf loudspeaker can simply be placed on a speaker stand (sold separately - see Accessories), shelf, tabletop, or other flat mounting surface. Self-adhesive rubber feet are included to isolate the speaker from the mounting surface and to protect the mounting surface and speaker cabinet from scratches (the rubber feet add aproximately 0.375" to the overall height of the speaker).
- A pair of Quad S1 bookshelf loudspeakers should be placed between 6.5' and 9.8125' apart and equidistant from the main listening position. The tweeters should be roughly at ear level to a seated listener. The loudspeakers should be positioned so that they are angled slightly inward, facing the listener.
- The most uncolored sound will be obtained when the speakers are at least 7.875" from the rear walls and 11.8125" from the side walls. If the loudspeakers are operated closer to the rear walls the bass will increase, but if they are placed to close to the walls the bass may sound too "boomy" and non-distinct. If the loudspeakers are placed further away from the walls, the inward angle can be increased by up to 40%, although this may restrict the width of the optimum listening position.
Note: The Quad S1 does not offer any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speakers.
S Series: Quad designed the S Series line-up of speakers to deliver all the nuances and passion of the original musical and theatrical performance. Quad's S Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (S4/S5), two bookshelf loudspeakers (S1/S2), and a center channel loudspeaker (S-C).