About the Kanto TUK
Kanto's flagship powered speakers
Kanto TUK speakers feature digital and analog inputs for connecting components, including a built-in phono stage for a turntable.
Kanto's flagship powered speakers
You never know when a great idea is going to hit you. The concept for TUK speakers came to Kanto's owner while he was motorcycling on Canada's remote Tuktoyaktuk highway. The folks at Kanto sum the experience up this way: "It's a place where the colorful and dramatic dance of the Aurora Borealis offers a thrilling experience — one we've sought to emulate with sound."
Each speaker features a highly accurate Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter and a 5" aluminum woofer in a ported enclosure. The end result is visually striking and sonically impressive — Kanto is proud to call them their flagship line of speakers.
Smart signal processing and selectable low-pass filter
TUK features integrated digital signal processing (DSP) to optimize audio quality and reproduce sound with greater accuracy. And when you enable the active low-pass filter, it sends frequencies below 80 Hz directly to a connected subwoofer.
Handy wired connections
I love being able to plug all of my gear into my powered speakers, and TUK delivers on that score. There's a Toslink digital optical input on the back for connecting a CD player or TV. A Type-B USB input lets you play music files from a connected computer.
For analog junkies, there's a stereo analog RCA input and a dedicated phono stage for connecting a turntable. Plus, there's a front-mounted 3.5mm headphone output for private listening.
And if you want — or even need — a little more bass, there's a subwoofer output on the back.
My hands-on experience with Kanto TUK powered speakers
I've had the opportunity to demo Kanto's entire lineup of powered stereo speakers in my home, and I've enjoyed them all. So I was excited to get my hands on a pair of the company's flagship TUK speakers. I set them up in my living room, mounted on a pair of SP26 stands with a SUB8 anchoring the low end.
I could tell right away that these speakers were capable of serving as my primary sound system. I plugged the output of my TV into the optical input and connected my Pro-ject turntable to the phono stage. And I was happy to see that Kanto had included speaker wire with banana plugs for connecting the left (active) and right (passive) speakers — it made initial setup a real breeze.
First, I decided to watch the 2006 spy thriller Casino Royale on Blu-ray. There are three things I expect when watching a James Bond film: witty dialogue, visceral sound effects, and a thrilling score. These speakers enhanced all three, immersing me in the action for a couple of hours.
Later, I played one of my favorite albums, Ahmad Jamal's 1970 release The Awakening. I'm used to dome tweeters on bookshelf speakers, so I paid special attention to the way the AMT tweeter sounded. Jamal's intimate piano/bass/drums trio played with plenty of nuance on this classic album, and the sensitive tweeter brought out a lot of subtle detail as I listened to familiar tracks.
Finally, I had to try out the Bluetooth. I have a standard playlist I use to audition speakers, and I noticed the TUK speakers did a great job rendering Cassandra Wilson's smoky vocals on the jazz standard Don't Explain. I also enjoyed floating along through Bill Frisell's version of Shenandoah and forgot I was supposed to be listening critically — high praise indeed, both for the artist, and these TUK speakers.
Smart power saving
You can engage the speakers' standby mode, and they'll remain active in low-power mode waiting for input. When you start playing music again, the system automatically returns to full power and starts to play.
- highly accurate Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter
- 5-1/4" aluminum woofer
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet
- frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz
- 130 watt Class D amplifier in active speaker
- built-in phono preamp for connecting a turntable
- Bluetooth® 4.2 with high-quality aptX-HD audio coding for greater sonic detail with compatible devices
- integrated digital signal processing (DSP) optimizes audio quality
- built-in USB DAC improves sound from digital files
- USB-B port supports two-channel input up to 24-bit/96kHz
- active low-pass filter sends frequencies below 80 Hz to a connected subwoofer
- Toslink digital optical input
- stereo RCA input (3.5mm-to-RCA cable included)
- stereo RCA phono input
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- Type-B USB input for connecting a computer (cable included)
- USB Type-A charging port (5V/2A)
- front-mounted 3.5mm headphone output
Dimensions and warranty:
- 7-1/16"W x 10-15/16"H x 10-7/8"D
- weight: 11.5 lbs. (active speaker), 9.9 lbs. (passive speaker)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # TUKMW
What's in the box:
- Wireless powered speaker
- Passive loudspeaker
- 2 Grilles
- Remote control
- 6' AC power cord
- 15' Speaker wire (terminated by banana plugs)
- 6.5' Stereo minijack-to-RCA cable
- 6.5' USB-A to USB-B cable
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User Manual
- "Thank You" note
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Kanto TUK reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Kanto TUK
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||1.0625 x 1.375|
|Tweeter Material||Folded ribbon|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||5.25|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||130|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||260|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||96 kHz|
|Control by app||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
1.0625" x 1.375" AMT Tweeter: The Kanto TUK wireless powered speaker features a high-performance 1.0625" x 1.375" AMT (Air Motion Transducer) tweeter that delivers bright and accurate highs with a remarkable soundstage. AMT tweeters are incredibly lightweight, allowing them to react faster than standard dome tweeters. This translates into super-quick, accurate treble. The pleated construction of an AMT tweeter also improves efficiency by increasing surface area, allowing for more air to be moved than by a comparatively sized dome tweeter. Their rectangular shape limits vertical dispersion so that less audio is reflected off the ceiling and floor, while still maintaining a relatively wide horizontal dispersion. This ensures all listeners in the room hear a consistent frequency response.
5.25" Aluminum Woofer: The TUK wireless powered speaker houses a 5.25" aluminum woofer that is highly rigid and lightweight. Aluminum drivers are incredibly rigid, making them less prone to deformation when pushed to their limit. By preventing the driver from flexing, Kanto reduces the amount of distortion the driver introduces to the audio being played. As a result, you'll hear midbass and bass frequencies with depth, clarity, and dynamics.
130W Amplifier: The AMT tweeter and aluminum woofer are powered by a built-in 130 watt (RMS) / 260 watt (Peak) x 2 channel amplifier for dynamic sound reproduction. The built-in amplifier is located in the TUK's "powered" speaker. The binding-post output terminals on back of the "Left" powered speaker and the included 15' speaker wire provide connection to the TUK's "passive" speaker's binding-post input terminals.
- When cabling or the location of your power outlet requires the active speaker to be placed on the right, TUK makes it easy to maintain proper stereo imaging by giving you the ability to swap the left and right channels.
- The included 15' speaker wire can be replaced with a long speaker wire (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), if your setup requires that the speaker's be placed further apart.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The Kanto TUK wireless powered speaker system utilizes a bass reflex enclosure design with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The speaker cabinet is available in a black or white finish, and comes with a matching magnetic grille.
DSP w/ EQ (Bass & Treble): The Kanto TUK wireless powered speaker utilizes integrated digital signal processing (DSP), designed to optimize audio quality and provide greater accuracy in sound reproduction at all volume levels. With the ability to save custom EQ settings (Bass & Treble) for each input, the TUK lets you control exactly how each of your devices sound.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: The Kanto TUK powered speaker system utilizes a 24-bit/96kHz resolution DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for high-quality sound reproduction.
USB-B Port: Featuring a USB-B port (located on the "powered" speaker), the TUK speaker system lets you connect directly to your computer (Windows or Mac) via USB, eliminating any interference that your computer’s onboard soundcard may pick-up while enjoying a fully digital, high-quality audio connection. When connecting your computer via this USB connection, the noisy built-in DAC of your computer is bypassed, and the audio signals are instead decoded by the TUK's high-quality DAC, delivering rich and distortion-free sound to the speakers. The TUK speaker system supports 2ch stereo up to 24-bit/96kHz via its USB-B port.
- To simplify the connection, Kanto tethered the volume of the speaker to the volume of the operating system. If you adjust the volume on your OS, TUK’s internal volume will change. If you adjust the volume knob on TUK, the OS volume will change.
- Please ensure you have changed the proper audio output settings in your computer, so audio signals are output to the TUK speakers and not to your computer's internal speakers. Select "USB Audio DAC" as the output device in your computer audio settings.
- No separate USB drivers are required for Windows PC or Mac.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Kanto TUK offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream your music libraries, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the TUK speaker system. You can pair multiple Bluetooth source devices with the TUK powered speaker system, but only one device can be connected and used for playback at a time.
- Music Codecs: In addition to support for Bluetooth's standard SBC codec and Apple's AAC codec, the TUK supports Qualcomm's aptX HD codec that provides much higher-quality sound than previous codec versions (available in a growing number of Android mobile devices and Mac computers). aptX HD preserves sound data through the wireless audio transmission, resulting in a "better-than-CD-quality " (24-bit/48kHz) listening experience.
- Playback Control: You'll also be able to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) from the included remote control. Advanced music playback and song/artist display will still be done from your Bluetooth source device.
Note: The Kanto TUK powered speaker system does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Analog Inputs (Line & Phono): The TUK is outfitted with two analog inputs; there is one stereo RCA line-level input and one stereo RCA phono input (both analog inputs are located on the "powered" speaker). The line-level input allows you to connect a external audio source, such as a CD player or tape deck. The phono input allows you to connect a turntable without the need of an external phono preamp. In addition, there is a ground-terminal for the phono input that reduces noise.
Optical Digital Input: The TUK is equipped with one optical (toslink) digital audio input (located on the "powered" speaker) for connection to your TV, satellite/cable box, Blu-ray player, or game console. The optical digital input supports 2ch PCM only, up to 24-bit/96kHz (not compatible with Dolby Digital/DTS).
Headphone Jack: The TUK wireless powered speaker system features a front-panel 3.5mm (1/8") headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones. When headphones are connected, the system's left and right speakers are muted.
Sub Out: The Kanto TUK is equipped with a mono-RCA subwoofer output (located on the "powered" speaker) for connecting a powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to add deep, low bass to the speaker system. The sub output features an 80Hz crossover filter which sends only low frequencies to the connected powered subwoofer, while all the high and mid frequencies are sent to the TUK speakers. The 80Hz crossover can be turned off if you want TUK speaker system to play at full-range and want the sub out to be full-range also, so you can use your powered subwoofer's low-pass crossover to dial in the correct low-pass filter frequency.
USB Charging Port: Use TUK's USB charging port (located on the "powered: speaker) to conveniently power and charge your smartphone or tablet device. The USB charging port is rated at 5V/2A.
Note: This USB port does not support audio playback.
Simple Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Kanto TUK speaker system (the IR receiver is located on the "powered" speaker). From the wireless remote you can control Power On/Off, Source Selection, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Bass/Treble, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track. There is also a rotary Volume/Source control knob on the front-panel and a Power on/off switch on the back-panel of the "powered" speaker.
LED Source Indicators: Dedicated LEDs for each input (located on the front of the "powered" speaker) gives you visual confirmation of which input is being used. The brightness of the input display is also adjustable so you can dim or fully turn off the LEDs if you prefer.
Mounting & Placement Options: The TUK wireless powered speaker system is designed for either bookshelf or stand mounting (see Accessories Tab for desktop and floor stands - sold separately). The speakers come with self-adhesive rubber feet to protect your furniture (the feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speakers). The space between the two speakers and the distance from the listener is important. If the speakers are positioned too close or too far apart, stereo imaging will not be fully developed. Room characteristics and positioning also have a profound effect on the performance of the speakers, so time and effort devoted to achieving the optimum positions will be rewarded.
- TUK is designed to perform optimally at ear level and positioned at least 8" from the rear wall in an average listening room. However, it may not be possible to install the speakers in this position since rooms vary in shape, size, and furnishing. A certain amount of experimentation may be necessary to determine the most suitable position.
- Moving the speakers very close to the rear wall will enhance the bass frequencies, but will tend to reduce soundstage depth, while moving the speakers away from the rear wall will tend to have the opposite effect. Avoid positioning the speakers close to or in the corners of the room, as this will excite undesirable room coupling in the low and middle frequencies. If the width of the rear wall is limited then toe-in the speakers slightly to reduce reflections.
Note: The Kanto TUK does not offer brackets, threaded inserts, or key-hole slots to wall-mount the speakers.
Power Requirements: The Kanto TUK's "powered" speaker includes a detachable 6' AC power cord that will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The "passive" speaker does not require AC power.
Note: The Kanto TUK speaker system is not battery powered.
Auto Power On/Off: The Kanto TUK speaker system features Auto Power On and Off functions to save power. When no audio signal has been detected for 15 minutes, the TUK system will put itself into Standby (Off) mode. If the audio signal returns via the same input that the TUK was playing when it entered standby, the system will wake up and resume playing. It can also be woken up manually by pressing the "Power" button on the remote or pressing the rotary control knob on the front-panel of the "powered" speaker.
Note: The Automatic Power On function will not work if the TUK system is manually switched to Standby (Off) mode using the remote or control knob.
6 questions already asked
This speaker has a transparency about it and it's really accurate. The speakers were surprisingly quick when it came to the low frequency and the AMT tweeter is very smooth it can cover the full spectrum of different styles of music while hitting all those sweet notes.
Mh from Glen Burnie, MD