About the Kanto YU
A streamlined desktop speaker system
A streamlined desktop speaker system
Kanto YU speakers are relatively compact and offer a rich, full near-field listening experience. Each speaker features a 4" Kevlar® woofer and 1" silk dome tweeter, powered by 70 watts of amplification built into the left-hand speaker.
I'd recommend adding a pair of Kanto S4 stands. They elevate the speakers by 16 degrees to aim the tweeters toward your ears, for better sound.
Two ways to connect your music
This speaker system differs from the similarly sized Kanto YU4 in one major way — it offers only the connections you're most likely to use, with a price savings to match. There's a stereo RCA input on the back for making a wired connection to an outboard component, and solid built-in Bluetooth 4.2 for streaming music.
And if you want — or even need — a little more bass, there's a subwoofer output on the back.
My hands-on experience with Kanto YU bookshelf speakers
I've been using the same aged pair of powered speakers on my home desktop for years, so I was excited to get a chance to use the YU speakers in their place for a while. They provided a clear upgrade from my old standbys, with a much better soundstage emanating from the pair of 4" Kevlar woofers and nice, smooth highs from the silk dome tweeters. And I happened to have a compact SUB6 available, so I hooked it up to boost the bass.
The speakers looked good flanking my computer monitor and didn't take up too much space. It was really easy to adjust their positioning to get immersive stereo sound while seated in my office chair. I have a stereo mini-to-RCA cable I can use to plug my phone into the back of the active speaker, but I honestly defaulted to the excellent Bluetooth with its high-fidelity aptX™ streaming more often than not.
When I'm doing research, writing, or paying bills at home, I rely on music and podcasts to make the time fly. These Kanto YU speakers helped inject some fun into work and study time.
Smart power saving
You can engage the speakers' standby mode, and they'll remain active in low-power mode waiting for input. When you start playing music again, the system automatically returns to full power and starts to play.
- powered stereo speakers
- Bluetooth 4.2 with high-quality aptX™ audio streaming
- bass-reflex speaker cabinets with rear-firing slot ports
- 70-watt RMS amplifier built into left (active) speaker
- frequency response: 60-20,000 Hz
- each speaker features:
- one 1" silk dome tweeter
- one 4" Kevlar® mid/woofer
- front-panel volume control on left speaker
- remote control included
- stereo RCA input
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals (10-foot speaker wire included to connect left and right speaker)
Dimensions and warranty:
- 5-1/2"W x 8-3/4"H x 7-1/2"D
- weight: 6.1 lbs. (left speaker), 5.2 lbs. (right speaker)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # YU BLK
What's in the box:
- Wireless powered speaker (left)
- Passive speaker (right)
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (YU/SYD)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 16' Speaker wire
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User Manual
Kanto YU reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kanto YU
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||4|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||70|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||140|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||192 kHz|
|Control by app||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||2 years|
|Labor Warranty||2 years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The Kanto YU powered speaker system features a two-way driver design with a 1" silk dome tweeter and 4" kevlar cone woofer for clear high and detailed midrange/midbass frequencies.
- 1" Silk Dome Tweeter: The 1" tweeter is made from silk to deliver a high-frequency range that's bright and refined. The tweeter's dome shape improves sound dispersion to ensure your ears capture every sound, regardless of where you are in the room.
- 4" Kevlar Cone Woofer: The 4" woofer cone is made of a kevlar material and features a rubber surround for long-lasting performance. The woofer provides surprisingly controlled and accurate low frequency response.
Class D Amplifier: The 1" tweeter and 4" woofer are powered by a built-in 35 watt (RMS) / 70 watt (Peak) x 2 channel amplifier for dynamic sound reproduction. The built-in amplifier is located in the YU's "Left" powered speaker. The binding-post output terminals on back of the "Left" powered speaker and the included 16' speaker wire provide connection to the "Right" passive speaker's binding-post input terminals.
Note: The included 16' speaker wire can be replaced with a long speaker wire (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), if your setup requires that the speaker's be placed further apart.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The Kanto YU powered speaker system utilizes a bass reflex enclosure design with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The speaker cabinet is available in black only.
Note: The Kanto YU powered speaker system does not come with grilles.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: The Kanto YU powered speaker system utilizes a 24-bit/96kHz resolution DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for high-quality sound reproduction.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Kanto YU offers built-in Bluetooth 4.02 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream your music libraries, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the YU speaker system. You can pair multiple Bluetooth source devices with the YU powered speaker system, but only one device can be connected and used for playback at a time.
- Music Codecs: In addition to supporting the standard Bluetooth SBC codec, the YU system offers support for Qualcomm's aptX codec. Qualcomm's aptX codec provides even better sound quality with lossless, "CD-quality" (16-bit/44.1kHz) streaming for aptX-compatible source devices, such as many Android smartphones and tablet with OS 4.0 or newer.
- Playback Control: You'll also be able to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) from the included remote control. Advanced music playback and song/artist display will still be done from your Bluetooth source device.
Note: The Kanto YU powered speaker system does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Line-Level Input: The Kanto YU comes equipped with a stereo audio RCA input (located on the "Left" powered speaker), allowing you to connect a line-level audio source. If you want to connect a turntable, you'll need a turntable with a built-in Phono preamp or an externa Phono preamp (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Note: The Kanto YU is not equipped with a digital input.
Sub Out: The Kanto YU is equipped with a mono-RCA subwoofer output (located on the "Left" powered speaker) for connecting a powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to add deep, low bass to the speaker system. The YU's sub output is full-range, so you'll need a powered subwoofer with a built-in low-pass crossover.
Simple Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Kanto YU speaker system (the IR receiver is located on the "Left" powered speaker). From the wireless remote you can control Power On/Off, Source Selection, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Bass/Treble, Balance, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track. There is also a rotary Volume/Source control knob on the front-panel and a Power on/off switch on the back-panel of the "Left" powered speaker.
Mounting & Placement Options: The YU powered speaker system is designed for either bookshelf or stand mounting (see Accessories Tab for desktop and floor stands - sold separaetely). The speakers come with self-adhesive rubber feet to protect your furniture (the feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speakers). The space between the two speakers and the distance from the listener is important. If the speakers are positioned too close or too far apart, stereo imaging will not be fully developed. Room characteristics and positioning also have a profound effect on the performance of the speakers, so time and effort devoted to achieving the optimum positions will be rewarded.
- YU is designed to perform optimally at ear level and positioned at least 8" from the rear wall in an average listening room. However, it may not be possible to install the speakers in this position since rooms vary in shape, size, and furnishing. A certain amount of experimentation may be necessary to determine the most suitable position.
- Moving the speakers very close to the rear wall will enhance the bass frequencies, but will tend to reduce soundstage depth, while moving the speakers away from the rear wall will tend to have the opposite effect. Avoid positioning the speakers close to or in the corners of the room, as this will excite undesirable room coupling in the low and middle frequencies. If the width of the rear wall is limited then toe-in the speakers slightly to reduce reflections.
Note: The Kanto YU does not offer brackets, threaded inserts, or key-hole slots to wall-mount the speakers.
Power Requirements: The Kanto YU's "Left" powered speaker includes a detachable 6' AC power cord that will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The "Right" passive speaker does not require AC power.
Note: The Kanto YU speaker system is not battery powered.
Auto Power On/Off: The Kanto YU speaker system features Auto Power On and Off functions to save power. When no audio signal has been detected for 15 minutes, the YU system will put itself into Standby (Off) mode. If the audio signal returns via the same input that the YU was playing when it entered standby, the system will wake up and resume playing. It can also be woken up manually by pressing the "Power" button on the remote or pressing the rotary control knob on the front-panel of the "Left" powered speaker.
Note: The Automatic Power On function will not work if the YU system is manually switched to Standby (Off) mode using the remote or control knob.
1 question already asked