About the Parasound JC 1+
One channel to rule them all
One channel to rule them all
Parasound's monolithic 83-pound JC 1+ can kick out the jams with absolute authority. It delivers a whopping 450 watts into a single channel at 8 ohms, and it's stable down to 2 ohms, offering flexibility to drive even the most demanding speakers.
The company's famed audio guru John Curl spent five years developing this amp as an upgrade to his original JC 1, which has been wowing audiophiles since 2003. He redesigned the input stages with an independent power supply for increased output with minimal distortion.
Parasound's audio guru John Curl chose the parts for the JC 1+ and laid out its circuit pathways to ensure high power with minimal distortion.
Class A/AB operation for smoother sound
The JC 1+ uses Class A/AB amplifier technology, which we don't see every day. So let's talk about what that means.
Engineers and audiophiles generally agree that Class A designs offer the purest sound, but they tend to run hot and take up a lot of space. As a result, home audio amplifiers often use a compromise known as Class AB, which hands off part of the audio signal to a different set of output transistors at high power levels. AB can sacrifice a bit of signal purity, but it lets the amp run cooler and more efficiently.
So this Class A/AB amp operates in pure Class A mode up to a higher power level than most other amplifiers in its price category, before the second set of transistors kick in. The result is a sound that's smoother, less fatiguing, and more natural. This amp includes a bias switch that can be set to "low" to reduce heat output and power consumption. When it's set to "high," the amplifier delivers up to 25 watts of pure Class A power.
On the back panel are single balanced mono XLR and unbalanced mono RCA input and output with switchable gain. There are also a pair of speaker binding posts, with the second pair allowing easy bi-wiring. The amp can be rack mounted using the included ears.
The legacy of John Curl
As noted above, the JC 1+ was designed by audio engineering mastermind John Curl — his signature appears on the front and back panels, as a matter of fact. Curl started his career in the 1970s, designing tape and video recorders at Ampex, and he had a hand in building the Grateful Dead's famous Wall of Sound. He has worked with Parasound since 1989, designing all of their high-power amplifiers and more. He chose this flagship amp's parts and laid out its circuit pathways to deliver no-holds-barred power and performance for audiophiles.
- 450 watts into a single channel at 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.15% THD
- 850 watts x 1 at 4 ohms
- 1,300 watts x 1 at 2 ohms
- designed by legendary audio engineer John Curl
- Class A/AB amplifier design with Normal/Low bias switch
- rated for up to 25 watts of pure Class A power in Normal mode
- Low setting reduces heat output and power consumption
- large custom toroidal transformer
- separate R-core power transformer for input stage
- Bybee Music Rails™ filter high frequency noise from the input stage
- frequency response: 2-120,000 Hz (+0/-2dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 122 dB (bias set to Low)
- balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA input and output
- switchable gain: Low +23 dB; Normal +29 dB
- dual binding post speaker connectors enable bi-wiring of a single speaker
- switchable turn-on options: manual, signal sensing, or 12-volt trigger
- selectable turn-on delay (0, 4, 8 or 12 seconds)
- detachable power cord
- rack mounting ears included
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-5/8"W x 7-3/4"H x 21-1/2"D (4U rack spaces)
- weight: 83 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JC 1+ SILVER
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Parasound JC 1+
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||1|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||450|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||850|
|Bridged Power per Channel||---|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||2|