About the Parasound NewClassic 2125 v.2
A versatile power amplifier
Parasound's NewClassic 2125 v2 is flexible enough to work in many different audio applications. It delivers 150 watts per channel and has two sets of binding posts for connecting speakers. You can use it as a classic stereo amp for two-channel listening,set up A and B speaker pairs in two different rooms, or combine it with additional 2125 amplifiers for THX Ultra2 certified home theater sound. This slim-but-powerful amp can also be bridged to 400 watts mono to drive a single speaker.
- 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.25% THD with 2 channels driven
- 225 watts x 2 into 4 ohms (2-ohm stable with load selector switch)
- 400 watts x 1 at 8 ohms in bridged mode
- Class AB amplifier design
- high-current toroidal transformer
- THX Ultra2 certified for reference home theater sound
- frequency response: 20-50,000 Hz (+0/-3dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 114 dB
- switchable high pass filter: off/20Hz/40Hz
- unbalanced stereo RCA inputs with loop output
- right and left level knobs (total gain of 28 dB)
- 2 pairs of binding post speaker connectors
- A+B speaker impedance switch: 2-3 ohms/4-8 ohms
- front-panel A/B speaker selector buttons with rear-panel lockout switch
- switchable turn-on options: manual, signal sensing, or 12-volt trigger
- detachable power cord
- rack mountable with the optional RMK 22 kit
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-1/4"W x 4-1/4"H x 16"D (2U rack spaces)
- weight: 27 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NC 2125 V.2
What's in the box:
- Stereo power amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 6' 2.5mm trigger cable
- 6' 2.5mm-to 3.5mm trigger cable
- Rack-mount hardware
- Owner's Guide
Parasound NewClassic 2125 v.2 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Parasound NewClassic 2125 v.2
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||150|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||225|
|Bridged Power per Channel||400 watts|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||2|
Class AB Stereo Amplifier: The Parasound NewClassic 2125 v2 stereo power amplifier has been designed with proven class AB amplifier technology featuring fully discrete cricuitry and a high-current toroid transformer. The NewClassic 2125 v2 is built to extremely strict quality and performance standards for which Parasound is renowned. The NewClassic 2125 v2 stereo power amplifier can handle speaker impedances down to a 2 ohm load.
- 8 Ohm: 150 watts x 2 channels @ 2fficient, low heat design0-20kHz with 0.25% THD (both channels driven)
- 4 Ohm: 225 watts x 2 channels @ 20-20kHz with 0.25% THD (both channels driven)
- 2 Ohm: 225 watts x 2 channels @ 20-20kHz with 0.25% THD (both channels driven) *with load selector switch
Bridged Mono Mode: Bridged operation configures the Left and Right channels to function as a single higher powered amplifier channel to drive a single speaker. This allows to NewClassic 2125 v2 amps to be used as monoblocks to power a pair of loudspeakers. It's also effective for powering a single passive subwoofer. The 2125 v2 is rated at 400 watts x 1 channel into 8 or 4 ohm load (4 ohm load requires load selector switch).
- Please note that in bridged mono operation the minimum speaker impedance is 8 Ohms, if the load switch is set to 4-8 ohm.
- With the Speaker Load switch set to the 2-3 ohm position it is possible to drive two 8 ohm speakers or a single 4 ohm speaker.
- Never connect two 4 ohm speakers for bridged mono operation. This results in a 1 ohm load on each channel which will cause the amp to overheat and shut down.
Note: Please see Owner's Guide for how to connect your speakers to the NewClassic 2125 v2 in Bridged Mono mode.
THX Certified: The NewClassic 2125 v2 has a total gain of 28 dB so that its volume levels are compatible with other channels in your theater if they are driven by a THX-certified amplifier, up to the point where the THX-certified amplifier might play a bit louder because of its higher power output.
Stereo RCA Input & Output: The Parasound NewClassic 2125 v2 stereo power amplifier features stereo RCA inputs and outputs. The stereo RCA inputs connect to the stereo RCA outputs of your preamplifier or processor. The stereo RCA output replicates the audio input signals to facilitate connections of other power amplifiers to the same preamplifier or processor. This stereo RCA output can also provide a convenient way to connect a powered subwoofer.
A & B Speaker Outputs: There are separate speaker terminals for two pairs of loudspeakers, labeled "Speaker Pair A" and "Speaker Pair B". These binding-post speaker terminals accept speaker wires with banana plugs (single or dual), spade-lugs, pin-connectors, or bare wire (up to 12AWG). You can play only the "A" speakers, "B" speakers, or both sets of speakers at the same time. The same audio source and volume level is applied to each set of speaker outputs.
Speaker Load Switch: The Speaker Load switch gives the NewClassic 2125 v2 the flexibility to drive very low impedance loads. For a single pair of 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers the Speaker Load switch may be set to its 4-8 ohm position. The Speaker Load switch must be set to 2-3 ohm whenever the load will be lower than 4 ohms.
- For the coolest possible operating temperature set the Speaker Load switch to 2-3 ohms even if you are using a single pair of 8 ohm speakers.
- Do not let the NewClassic 2125 v2 see an impedance load less than 2 ohms.
Channel Level: The Parasound NewClassic 2125 v2 has independent level knobs for the Left and Right channels, so you can increase or decrease the listening level of each channel separately.
High Pass Filter: The High Pass Filter can improve the sound in many installations and applications. The High Pass Filter permits signals higher than 20Hz or 40Hz to pass-through to your speaker, while preventing signals below these frequencies from passing through to your speakers.
- 20Hz: The 20 Hz setting filters out frequencies below 20Hz @ 18dB per octave. Your speakers have greater dynamic range and far less distortion when they don't receive frequencies which are lower than they are capable of reproducing. The 2125 v2 operates more efficiently when it's not called upon to amplify very low frequencies so you'll have more power in the range the speaker is capable of reproducing. Because the 20Hz filter also has a steep 18 dB per octave slope, it is essentially a sub-sonic filter, and you probably won't notice any loss of low bass unless you’re using very large speakers.
- 40Hz: The 40Hz switch position filters bass below 40Hz @ 18 dB per octave. This is ideal when the 2125 v2 is driving in-wall or in-ceiling speakers because most of them have little useful bass output below 40Hz. You'll enjoy much cleaner sound and higher undistorted volume levels. Not having to amplify bass that's inaudible with your speakers is another way the 2125 v2 will also run cooler.
- Flat: The Flat setting disconnects the High Pass Filter and the 2125 v2's frequency response is full-range (flat).
Turn On Options: For added convenience, there are 3 ways the NewClassic 2125 v2 can be turned on and off. Choose Manual, Auto Sense, or 12V Trigger.
- Manual: When the Turn On Options switch is in its Manual position the NewClassic 2125 v2 must be turned on and off manually by pressing the Power button on its front-panel every time you wish to use your audio system.
- Auto Sense: In this mode, the NewClassic 2125 v2 will be turned on only when an audio signal is present at the stereo RCA L/R input jacks. After the audio signal ceases, the NewClassic 2125 v2 will remain on for about 8-10 minutes before shutting off. This prevents unintended turn-off during pauses in your music or movies.
- 12V Trigger: The NewClassic 2125 v2's 12V trigger input (3.5mm) allows the amplifier to be turned on and off only with an external +9V to +12V voltage from your preamplifier or processor. When the external voltage ceases, the NewClassic 2125 v2 will turn off within a few seconds. There is also a 12V trigger output (3.5mm) that lets you loop or "daisy-chain" the incoming trigger voltage to an additional power amplifier or other audio component.
Protection Circuitry: The Parasound NewClassic 2125 v2 stereo power amplifier offers DC Servo and relay protection circuits.
- Protect Indicator: The Protect indicator will illuminate red and the unit will stop playing if the amp experiences an external fault condition. This prevents possible damage to the unit from continued operation. Examples of external fault conditions are short circuited speaker wires, excessive heat. and trying to drive too many speakers at high levels
- Hi-Temp Indicator: The Hi-Temp indicators will illuminate red when the NewClassic 2125 v2 exceeds its maximum safe operating temperature. If this happens the unit will activate its protection circuit and stop playing. It will remain in this protection mode until the temperature drops and the unit is turned off to reset its protection circuit. If Hi-Temp appears it's likely the unit has been over-driven by too high a listening level or is attempting to drive a speaker load impedance that is too low. It’s also probable the unit has not been provided with sufficient ventilation. These conditions must be corrected before turning it on again to resume operation.
Optional Rack Mount: For rack mounting, you’ll need to use the Parasound RMK22 rack mounting kit (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The NewClassic 2125 v2's front-panel occupies only a 2U rack space in a standard 19.0" equipment rack.