About the GoldenEar ForceField 4
Powerful bass from a unique-looking sub
Powerful bass from a unique-looking sub
GoldenEar's award-winning ForceField Series delivers powerful bass with a lineup of space-efficient subs that are easy to fit into your system. Like its little brother, the ForceField 4 produces a surprising amount of low-end output for its size, letting you enjoy accurate, hard-hitting bass even if you have limited room. Its long-throw 10" woofer is driven by the heavyweight power of a 1,200-watt RMS amplifier. And a down-firing 11" x 13" passive radiator further extends the sub's low frequencies to infrasonic levels, helping you feel the high-impact rumble of your favorite movies and video games.
Smooth and responsive
The ForceField 4 doesn't just hit hard — it also hits with precision. All the little details of the sub's construction add up. The driver's large motor and magnet assembly help it handle a ton of power for wide excursion with very low distortion. And the cabinet's non-parallel walls minimize internal reflections and add rigidity for more accurate bass and a unique look. Soft, vibration-absorbing feet do more than keep the sub in place and provide noise isolation. They also maintain just the right distance between the floor and the passive radiator to maximize low frequency output.
Simple setup and control
Adding the ForceField 4 to your system is easy with a dedicated LFE input plus speaker-level inputs and outputs. A continuously variable low-pass crossover gives you control over what frequencies the sub is responsible for when using the speaker-level inputs. If you're hooking up your main speakers through the speaker-level outputs, the fixed 150Hz high-pass crossover prevents you from damaging them with low frequencies. A volume dial makes adjustments quick and easy, letting you gently blend the sub into the rest of your system.
Who is GoldenEar?
Since their founding in 2010, GoldenEar has racked up rave reviews across the audio industry for their high-tech speaker lineup and cutting-edge design philosophy. The company's goal is to create speakers that sound better than comparable models costing three, four, or even five times more. Their signature sound includes pinpoint stereo imaging, a spacious three-dimensional soundstage, and ultra-low distortion. Each of GoldenEar's custom-designed drivers, passive radiators, and carefully tuned cabinets help create an ultra-immersive listening experience with your favorite albums and movie soundtracks.
- built-in 1,200-watt RMS digital amplifier
- DSP (digital signal processing) monitors the signal in real time for clean, precise bass
- bass reflex (passive radiator) enclosure
- front-firing 10" long-throw woofer
- 11" x 13" quadratic planar down-firing passive radiator
- can be placed inside a cabinet or cavity with at least two inches of front clearance
- LFE input (line-level mono-RCA) for use with a home theater receiver's sub output
- speaker-level inputs and outputs
- frequency response: 14-250 Hz
- high-pass filter: 150 Hz
- low-pass filter: 40-150 Hz
- 13-3/8"W x 13-1/8"H x 17-7/8"D
- weight: 32 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (woofer); 3 years (amp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # EKCA
What's in the box:
- Powered Subwoofer
- 10' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
GoldenEar ForceField 4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the GoldenEar ForceField 4
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||10|
|Speaker-Level Inputs||Binding post|
|Speaker-Level Outputs||Binding post|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||150|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||1200|
|Frequency Response||14-250 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
ForceField Series: GoldenEar Technology's ForceField Series powered subwoofer has been designed and engineered from the ground up to combine subtle musical detail with high-impact power - all in an attractive, compact enclosure which blends well into practically any room.
High-Output Woofer Coupled To An Infrasonic Bass Radiator: The ForceField Series powered subwoofer combines a high-power, front-firing, ultra-long-throw woofer coupled to a down-firing quadratic planar infrasonic radiator. This configuration brings together the superior transient response and detail of a moderately sized active driver with the subsonic capability and extraordinary room-filling coupling of a large diaphragm radiator.
- 10" Long-Throw Woofer: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField 4 powered subwoofer houses a custom-designed, high-output 10" long-throw woofer with a very large motor assembly. The 10" woofer is front-firing and can handle massive power, has very long excursion, plus offers ultra-low distortion.
- 11" x 13" Passive Radiator: The 10" woofer's bass response is enhanced with a carefully tuned, down-firing, quadratic-shaped passive radiator that measures 11" x 13". The quadratic shape allows the radiator to use maximum surface area on the bottom of the cabinet and get even greater bass output that results from the subwoofer's interface with the floor.
1200W Class D Amplifier: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField 4 powered subwoofer employs a 1200 watt Class D amplifier for dynamic bass performance. The ForceField Series subwoofer amplifier is designed in-house by GoldenEar Technology's engineering team, so each is the perfect amp to power its specific subwoofer model. The ForceField Series powered subwoofer's cutting-edge amplifier design employs state-of-the-art DSP control for frequency shaping so the subwoofer produces accurate, consistent and musical bass performance without distortion or damage from overdriving.
- Programmable Logic Device (PLD): This sophisticated amp has a Programmable Logic Device (PLD) based state machine with a nearly instantaneous 278 nanosecond update time, to perfectly manage a myriad of functions including: soft-clipping, DC offset control, output-stage anti-saturation protection and discrete multi-band limiting.
- DSP (Digital Signal Processing): The DSP control also allows for very precise equalization with extremely low THD (total harmonic distortion), so very little negative feedback is required, thus ensuring optimum transient and linear performance.
Rear-Panel Controls: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField Series powered sub is equipped with operating controls on the back-panel to ensure excellent flexibility and maximum performance in practically any installation or application.
- Volume Output Level: The volume output level control is used to balance the powered subwoofer's output level to blend better with the other speakers in your home audio system.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The low-pass crossover controls the subwoofer's upper-frequency cut-off, which can be set between 40 and 150 Hz (12dB per octave). The low pass crossover is used to obtain the optimum transition between the subwoofer and your main speakers when the subwoofer is connected using the speaker-level inputs.
- High-Pass Filter: The powered subwoofer is equipped with a fixed 150Hz (6dB per octave) high-pass filter for its speaker-level inputs and outputs. This high-pass filter is used when you connect your AV receiver's main speaker outputs to the powered sub's speaker-level inputs, and the powered sub's speaker-level outputs to the inputs on your main left and right speakers.
Note: There is no Phase switch on this powered subwoofer.
LFE & Speaker-Level Connectivity: The ForceField Series powered subwoofer is outfitted with an mono-RCA LFE input, as well as speaker-level inputs and outputs. The speaker-level inputs and outputs consist of binding-post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual).
- LFE (Low Frequency Effect) Input: Most AV receivers and preamp/processors feature a mono-RCA Sub/LFE output intended to be used with a powered subwoofer. You can feed this Sub/LFE output of you're AV receiver or preamp/processor to the Sub/LFE input on the powered subwoofer. The Sub/LFE input on ForceField Series powered sub is a direct coupled input which is not affected by the subwoofer's built-in crossover control or low pass filter. Your AV receiver or preamp/processor's bass management setup will be utilized to apply a low pass crossover and filter to the Force Field Series powered subwoofer.
- Speaker-Level Inputs: The speaker-level input terminals allow the ForceField Series powered subwoofer to be connected to your AV receiver's main speaker outputs. The setting of the low pass crossover and filter is applied to the signal received through speaker-level inputs.
- Speaker-Level Outputs: If you wish to utilize the high-pass filter built into the ForceField Series powered subwoofer and roll-off the bass to your Left and Right main speakers, then connect your main speakers to the powered sub's speaker-level output terminals. The speaker-level output terminals provide a smoothly contoured roll-off of the low frequencies going to your main speakers, starting at 150Hz (fixed).
- Only use one type of connection to connect the powered subwoofer to your AV receiver or preamp/processor.
- The ForceField Series powered sub does not feature line-level stereo RCA inputs.
Unique Cabinet Design: The ForceField Series powered subwoofer uses a rigid cabinet with non-parallel sides to minimize standing waves and distortion. This unique and attractive cabinet shape, with its non-parallel cabinet walls (the top is narrower than the bottom when viewed from the front), helps the ForceField powered sub achieve extraordinarily deep and accurate bass that is ideal for music and movie soundtracks.
Isolation Feet: The soft, energy-absorbing feet provided with ForceField Series powered sub serve a number of functions. First, they hold the subwoofer at the correct distance off the floor so the dowing-firing passive radiator creates significantly increased output at the lowest frequencies. Second, the soft feet keep the subwoofer from moving around on the floor.
Placement Options: For best sonic integration, locating the powered subwoofer between your front speakers or beside one of them and close to the front wall will usually provide the best bass performance. If this location is not possible, the subwoofer may be placed anywhere in the room without affecting the image and soundstage of your stereo or multichannel speaker system.
- For maximum output, the powered subwoofer should be placed close to a wall. Corner placement will increase the subwoofer's output, but may also exaggerate room nodes (peaks in frequency) causing muddy, ill-defined bass performance in the room.
- Because of its unique low-frequency radiation properties, the ForceField powered sub can even be placed inside a cabinet or cavity and still provide excellent in-room performance. Just be sure to leave at least 2" of clearance on the front of the subwoofer.
- The use of two subwoofers will enhance your system's performance by providing a smoother and more consistent room response. With two subs, it is recommended that you locate the subwoofers out of the corners on the same side of the room as the main speaker of the same channel, or one in the front of the room and one in the rear of the listening room.
Auto Power On/Off: The GoldenEar Technology ForceField Series powered subwoofer will turn on when it receives an audio signal at its line-level or speaker level inputs. If no signal is sensed for a period of time, the powered subwoofer will automatically switch off.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Golden Technology ForceField powered subwoofer comes with a detachable 10' AC power cord that will need to be plugged into the back of the sub and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).