About the GoldenEar SuperSat 3
A slim speaker with personality
A slim speaker with personality
Don't let its slim profile fool you — the SuperSat 3 means business. It will sing an enveloping, detailed song no matter where you place it, thanks to impactful woofers and a wide-dispersion tweeter. You can use a pair for two-channel music, or pick up four of them, along with the SuperSat 3C and the ForceField 3 subwoofer, for a space-saving home theater system.
A smart design for superb sound
The cabinet isn't just plastic or wood. It's made from a specially designed, non-resonant marble-powder infused polymer (ain't that a mouthful!). That helps to keep the internal resonances of the cabinet from muddying the sound. In the middle, you'll find GoldenEar's low-distortion HVFR™ (High Velocity Folded Ribbon) tweeter. It squeezes the air between the folds of a high-density diaphragm, rather than pushing air like a piston. This design helps the tweeter to maintain a wide dispersion pattern and have a smooth response all the way up to 35,000 Hz.
A pair of 4-1/2" mid/woofers output detailed sound thanks to the added stiffness and rigidity their cast basket provides. The strong magnets used in their motor structure keeps their cone movement linear and clean. Each woofer has a proprietary MVPP (multi-vaned phase plug), which controls energy in the center of the drivers and minimizes cone diffraction, a form of distortion
Place it on a bookshelf or hang it up
The speaker can be wall-mounted or placed on a table or shelf using the included stand. You can also use the rear threaded insert and hang it with the SuperSwivel mount (sold separately). Or you can just use the keyhole slot to hang the speaker flush to your wall.
Who is GoldenEar?
Since their founding in 2010, GoldenEar has racked up rave reviews across the audio industry for their high-tech speaker lineup and cutting-edge design philosophy. The company's goal is to create speakers that sound better than comparable models costing three, four, or even five times more. Their signature sound includes pinpoint stereo imaging, a spacious three-dimensional soundstage, and ultra-low distortion. Each of GoldenEar's custom-designed drivers, passive radiators, and carefully tuned cabinets help create an ultra-immersive listening experience with your favorite albums and movie soundtracks.
- two 4-1/2" cast-basket MVPP™ mid/bass drivers
- HVFR (High-Velocity Folded Ribbon) tweeter
- included stand for shelf mounting
- threaded insert and universal keyhole wall mounting options
- frequency response: 80-35,000 Hz
- recommended amplifier power: 20-200 watts
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- 4-3/4"W x 12"H x 2-3/4"D
- weight: 5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HKDA
What's in the box:
- Satellite loudspeaker
- Threaded insert
- 4 Self-adhesive pads
- Owner's Manual
- Wall-Mount Template
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the GoldenEar SuperSat 3
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Folded Ribbon|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||---|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||4.5|
|Frequency Response||80-35k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||32.5|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
SuperSat Series: The GoldenEar SuperSat Series is an extensive range of high-performance satellite loudspeakers which perfectly fulfill a wide variety of needs and applications. The SuperSat Series can be utilized to create a high-performance 2ch stereo music setup or a multichannel home theater. They can be used as front, center, or rear speaker channels. The SuperSat Series consists of three satellite loudspeakers (SuperSat 3 / SuperSat 50 / SuperSat 60) and three center channel speakers (SuperSat 3C / SuperSat 50C / SuperSat 60C) - all sold separately. The GoldenEar Technology SuperSat speakers are extremely efficient and can be driven to loud listening levels with moderate amplifier power, but also able to handle the output of very powerful amplifiers.
High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) Tweeter): The SuperSat 3 satellite loudspeaker features GoldenEar Technology's High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) design tweeter. The HVFR tweeter propagates sound waves and moves the air by squeezing it with its accordion-like pleated diaphragm, rather than pushing it as conventional drivers do. The result is better impedance matching to the air in the room with greater control, smoother more extended response with lower distortion and dramatically improved dynamic range.
Dual 4.5" High-Definition Bass/Midrange Drivers: The SuperSat 3 speaker houses two 4.5" cast spider-leg basket upper bass/midrange drivers, which incorporate GoldenEar Technology's proprietary Multi-Vaned Phase Plug design (MVPP) as well as their proprietary computer optimized cone topology, arranged in a D'Appolito array surrounding the HVFR tweeter.
Acoustic Suspension Cabinet: The acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet is constructed from a rigid, non-resonant marble-powder infused polymer and is finished in a piano-gloss black. The non-resonant, sealed enclosure design aids in the speaker's accurate, detailed sound. A magnetic grille easily attaches to the front to cover and protect the drivers.
Binding Post Terminals: The GoldenEar Technology SuperSat 3 satellite loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of 5-way binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual).
Mounting Options: The SuperSat 3 satellite speaker includes a stand for shelf mounting (vertical orientation only). It also incorporates a rear 1/4"-20 threaded insert, as well as keyhole mount for wall mounting options (vertical or horizontal orientation). The keyhole mount allows flat-on-the-wall mounting and the 1/4"-20 threaded insert can be used with the GoldenEar Technology SuperSwivel bracket (sold separately). An optional SuperStand floor-stand is also available and sold separately.
- Speaker Only Dimensions: 4.8125" (w) x 12.625" (h) x 2.875" (d)
- Speaker with Table Stand Dimensions: 4.8125" (w) x 12.75" (h) x 3.625" (d)
- Speaker With Floor Stand Dimensions (Optional): 12.25" (w) x 46.0" (h) x 10.625" (d)
- Speaker With Wall Bracket Dimensions (Optional): 4.8125" (w) x 12.625" (h) x 5.625" (d)
Flexible Placement: The GoldenEar Technology SuperSat speaker is designed to allow flexible placement while providing a very large window of sound throughout your listening room.
- For the most accurate and natural timbre, the speaker's tweeter should be at approximately ear level. A pair of SuperSat speakers should form a equilateral triangle between each other and the main seated listening position. To further optimize imaging, turn a pair of speakers inward (toe-in) so they point toward the listening position with their axes crossing just behind it.
- Placing the speaker in a corner will over-emphasize bass and reduce overall clarity. If possible, position the speaker as far as possible from either side wall. This will ensure better bass performance and optimal midrange clarity.
- When used as surround speakers, the SuperSat speaker may be located on the side or behind the main listening area. When used on the sides, take care never to locate the speaker forward of the main listening position. If the speaker is placed along the rear wall as surrounds, it is suggested that the speaker be positioned fairly wide apart if possible.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: The SuperSat 3 satellite loudspeaker has a frequency response of 80Hz to 35kHz, so adding a powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) is highly recommended. In your AV receiver or processor's Speaker Setup Menu, all channels using SuperSat speakers should be set to "Small". The recommended crossover setting for the SuperSat 3 is 120Hz.