About the GoldenEar SuperSub™ XXL
GoldenEar's knockout sub
The SuberSub XXL is configured with dual 12" woofers and passive radiators separated horizontally and vertically for maximum bass output.
GoldenEar's knockout sub
The award-winning SuperSub Series is GoldenEar's very best subwoofer lineup. Like its little brother, the SuperSub XXL delivers some serious low-end output. It's more than a match for an even larger sub, letting you enjoy accurate, hard-hitting bass even if you don't have a ton of room. A pair of 12" woofers are driven by the super-heavyweight power of a 1,600-watt RMS amplifier. And a pair of 13" x 15" passive radiators extend the sub's bass performance well into the infrasonic level, which is deeper than we can hear. That's a lot of surface area for a relatively compact sub, and it translates to massive, thunderous bass that's also precise and accurate.
Balanced design for superb bass clarity
The SuperSub XXL rocks out two opposing woofers and two opposing passive radiators — it's virtually packed with technology. This 360° dual-plane arrangement is inertially balanced, which means the sub moves less air inside the cabinet and more air in the room. The end result is deep, room-filling bass with better speed, musicality, and precision.
Simple setup and control
The SuperSub XXL has a dedicated LFE input that hooks up to the subwoofer output of your home theater receiver. That input jack also serves as one half of the sub's stereo line-level input. Using the built-in variable low-pass crossover, you have control over what frequencies the sub is responsible for when using the left/right line-level connections. A volume dial makes adjustments quick and easy, letting you blend the sub into the rest of your system.
Who is GoldenEar?
Since their founding in 2010, GoldenEar has racked up rave reviews across the audio industry for their high-tech speaker lineup and cutting-edge design philosophy. The company's goal is to create speakers that sound better than comparable models costing three, four, or even five times more. Their signature sound includes pinpoint stereo imaging, a spacious three-dimensional soundstage, and ultra-low distortion. Each of GoldenEar's custom-designed drivers, passive radiators, and carefully tuned cabinets help create an ultra-immersive listening experience with your favorite albums and movie soundtracks.
- Featured in our article: Best home theater subwoofers for 2023
- built-in Class D 1,600-watt RMS digital amplifier
- bass reflex (passive radiator) enclosure
- dual opposing 12" long-throw woofers
- dual opposing 13" x 15" passive radiators
- left/right line-level inputs
- left input doubles as a LFE (mono-RCA) connection for use with a home theater receiver's sub output
- frequency response: 10-250 Hz
- low-pass filter: 40-150 Hz
- 19-1/16"W x 17-9/16"H x 17-1/16"D
- weight: 82 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (woofer); 3 years (amp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ELGA
What's in the box:
- Powered Subwoofer
- 10' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
GoldenEar SuperSub™ XXL reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the GoldenEar SuperSub™ XXL
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||1600|
|Frequency Response||10-250 Hz|
|Preamp-Level Inputs||Stereo RCA/LFE|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
SuperSub Series: GoldenEar Technology's SuperSub Series is a line-up of ultra-high-performance, vibration-canceling compact subwoofers which produce incredible levels of clean, accurate, powerful and precise low-frequency bass output in your room. The SuperSub Series incorporates many recently developed unique and advanced technologies and components to create a moderately sized subwoofer that could generate very low frequency pressure waves of extremely high amplitude, while delivering accurate and precise low frequency performance that is both highly impactful and extremely musical.
360-Degree Dual-Plane Inertially-Balanced Driver & Sub-Bass Radiator Topology: The SuperSub Series powered subwoofer incorporates a unique 360-degree dual-plane inertially-balanced driver and sub-bass radiator topology. With two active drivers separated horizontally in space, as well as two passive radiators separated vertically, the driver-to-room coupling is distributed much more smoothly, for in-room bass performance that can't typically be achieved with a single subwoofer.
- Dual High-Output 12" Ultra-Long Throw Woofers: The SuperSub XXL employs two horizontally-opposed 12" ultra-long-throw, high output active bass drivers for powerful room-shaking bass with superior transient performance and exceptional detail. The 12" active woofers feature a computer optimized ultra-stiff fiber cone with rubber surround and a massive High-Gauss magnet assembly for high excursion, high output, and high performance. There is an 12" active woofer on the left and right side of t he subwoofer cabinet.
- Twin 15" x 13" Planar Infrasonic Radiators: The SuperSub XXL also employs two vertically-opposed 15" x 13" planar infrasonic radiators that are pressure coupled to the 12" active drivers for extended, well-tuned and well-controlled. bass performance. There is a 15" x 13" planar infrasonic radiator on the top and bottom of the subwoofer cabinet.
1600 Watt Class D Amplifier: The SuperSub XXL utilizes a 1600 watt Class digital amplifier for dynamic bass performance. The Class D amplifier features discrete multi-band limiting, phase-perfect equalization, fully balanced and advanced reconstruction filters, and a strong focus on keeping latency to an absolute minimum. The result is a rock-solid bass response that is both exceptionally fast and tuneful for music and extraordinarily deep and powerful, in order to effortlessly reproduce the most extreme music soundtracks and movie sound effects.
Rear-Panel Controls: The GoldenEar Technology SuperSub Series powered sub is equipped with operating controls on the back-panel to ensure excellent flexibility and maximum performance in practically any installation or application.
- Volume Output Level: The volume output level control is used to balance the powered subwoofer's output level to blend better with the other speakers in your home audio system.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The low-pass crossover controls the subwoofer's upper-frequency cut-off, which can be set between 40 and 150 Hz (12dB per octave). The low pass crossover is used to obtain the optimum transition between the subwoofer and your main speakers when the subwoofer is connected using the line-level stereo RCA inputs.
Note: There is no Phase switch on this powered subwoofer.
Stereo RCA & LFE Inputs: The GoldenEar Technology SuperSub XXL powered sub is outfitted with line-level stereo RCA and LFE (Low Frequency Effect) inputs. The LFE input is shared with the "Left" input of the Stereo RCA input. There is a switch on the rear-panel that lets you select between Stereo or LFE.
- LFE: The Level LFE Input (shared with the "Left" input of the stereo RCA input) can be used to connect the powered subwoofer to to the LFE Out/Sub-Out on your AV receiver or preamp/processor. The powered sub's Low Pass Filter should be set to "Bypass", since the LFE signal's bass management is controlled from your AV receiver or preamp/processor.
- Stereo RCA: The stereo RCA input can be used to connect the powered sub to the main-out or pre-out on your AV receiver or preamp/preamplifier. The setting of the powered sub's Low Pass Filter control is applied to the signal received through the stereo RCA inputs.
Note: There are no speaker-level inputs and outputs, as well as no line-level inputs on this powered sub.
Non-Resonant Cabinet Design: The SuperSub Series powered subwoofer uses an ultra-rigid cabinet with curved side walls to minimize standing waves and distortion for deep and articulate bass for both music and movie soundtracks. The cabinet's soft, energy-absorbing feet help to isolate the powered subwoofer from the floor to prevent any unwanted vibration that could lead to distortion. The feet also hold the powered sub at precisely the correct distance off the floor for the down-firing passive radiator to perform at is best.
Placement Options: For best sonic integration, locating the powered subwoofer between your front speakers or beside one of them and close to the front wall will usually provide the best bass performance. If this location is not possible, the subwoofer may be placed anywhere in the room without affecting the image and soundstage of your stereo or multichannel speaker system.
- For maximum output, the powered subwoofer should be placed close to a wall. Corner placement will increase the subwoofer's output, but may also exaggerate room nodes (peaks in frequency) causing muddy, ill-defined bass performance in the room.
- Because of its unique vibration canceling properties, the SuperSub Series powered sub can be placed inside a cabinet or cavity and still provide excellent in-room performance. Just be sure to leave at least 2" of clearance around the subwoofer.
- The use of two subwoofers will enhance your system's performance by providing a smoother and more consistent room response. With two subs, it is recommended that you locate the subwoofers out of the corners on the same side of the room as the main speaker of the same channel, or one in the front of the room and one in the rear of the listening room.
Auto Power On/Off: The GoldenEar Technology SuperSub Series powered subwoofer will turn on when it receives an audio signal at its line-level or speaker level inputs. If no signal is sensed for a period of time, the powered subwoofer will automatically switch off.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Golden Technology SuperSub powered subwoofer comes with a detachable 10' AC power cord that will need to be plugged into the back of the sub and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).