About the GoldenEar Triton Two+
Surprisingly deep bass from a slim-but-potent tower
Surprisingly deep bass from a slim-but-potent tower
The GoldenEar Triton Two+ houses a pair of built-in powered subwoofers for surprisingly deep, potent bass. This slender tower delivers what GoldenEar calls "boxless three-dimensional imaging" with the smooth, non-fatiguing character of its HVFR™ (High-Velocity Folded Ribbon) tweeter. By squeezing air — rather than pushing it like a conventional tweeter — the HVFR design delivers articulate nuance with very low distortion.
A unique three-way design
The high-end tweeter is placed between two 4-1/2" upper bass/midrange drivers, above the dual 5"x 9" powered sub-bass drivers. Further rounding out the bottom end, two 7" x 10" bass radiators flank either side of this floor-stander's non-resonant curved cabinet. One additional advantage of this speaker's driver arrangement: the tweeter and bass/midrange drivers get all your amplifier's attention, while the powered subs do the heavy lifting.
Placing the world-class tweeter between the bass/mid woofers helps keep the transition between drivers smooth and seamless. And by incorporating the 1,200-watt powered subwoofers into the cabinet and crossover circuitry, GoldenEar further blends the frequencies to achieve transparent sound from top to bottom.
Sparkling highs, robust bass without bloat, and ultra-low distortion, all with breathtakingly wide dispersion — the Triton Two+ produces a soundstage that reaches out into the room as well as behind the speakers.
Designed with a simple, functional ergonomic visual aesthetic, this tower seems to lose itself in the mix it projects. And it will all but disappear in the darkness of a home theater setting.
Who is GoldenEar?
Since their founding in 2010, GoldenEar has racked up rave reviews across the audio industry for their high-tech speaker lineup and cutting-edge design philosophy. The company's goal is to create speakers that sound better than comparable models costing three, four, or even five times more. Their signature sound includes pinpoint stereo imaging, a spacious three-dimensional soundstage, and ultra-low distortion. Each of GoldenEar's custom-designed drivers, passive radiators, and carefully tuned cabinets help create an ultra-immersive listening experience with your favorite albums and movie soundtracks.
- 3-way design
- HVFR™ (High-Velocity Folded Ribbon) tweeter
- two 4-1/2" high-definition cast-basket mid/bass drivers
- D'Appolito array — tweeter is placed between mid/bass drivers
- two 5" x 9" long-throw quadratic subwoofers
- built-in 1,200-watt DSP-controlled subwoofer amplifier
- rear-panel subwoofer level control
- rear-panel LFE input
- two 7" x 10" quadratic planar infrasonic bass radiators
- slim, curved and tapered cabinet design
- frequency response: 16-35,000 Hz
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- recommended power: 20-500 watts/channel
- five-way binding posts
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- speaker: 11-11/16"W x 48-1/2"H x 19-1/8"D (height is with base installed, no feet or spikes)
- weight: 60 pounds
- warranty: 5 years drivers and cabinet/3 years amp
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BKAA
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 9' AC power cord
- 4 Rubber feet (pre-installed on base)
- 4 Spikes
- 4 Locking nuts
- 4 Screws
- 4 Washers
- Owner's Manual
GoldenEar Triton Two+ reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the GoldenEar Triton Two+
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||---|
|Midrange Size (inches)||4.5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5 x 9|
|Built-in Powered Sub||Yes|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||5-Way post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||16-35k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||1200|
Triton Series: GoldenEar Technology's Triton Series consist of high-performance floorstanding loudspeakers that are efficient and can be driven to loud listening levels with moderate amplifier power, but are also able to handle the output of very powerful amplifiers. The Triton Series floorstanding speakers are engineered for superb performance in both two-channel stereo systems, as well as in multi-channel home theater systems. The Triton Series delivers powerful, deep bass blended perfectly with silky, smooth, and transparent midrange and high frequencies for an exceptional listening experience.
High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) Tweeter: The hallmark of all GoldenEar speakers, the Triton Series floorstanding speaker utilizes GoldenEar's own High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) tweeter design. This new folded-ribbon tweeter is silky smooth with ultra high resolution capability. The HVFR tweeter propagates sound waves and moves the air by squeezing it with its accordion-like pleated diaphragm, rather than pushing it as conventional drivers do. Greater efficiency, lower distortion, improved dynamics and superbly detailed sound are the result of this amazing technology.
Two 4.5" Midrange Driver:s The Triton Two+ features two 4.5" upper bass/midrange drivers with GoldenEar's proprietary Multi-Vaned Phase Plug (MVPP), incorporating a cone utilizing a proprietary computer optimized cone topoology and special formulation of polypropylene which helps them to achieve a higher efficiency and greater control with a smooth linear response.
Built-In Powered Subwoofer: The built-in powered subwoofer section in the Triton Two+ floorstanding loudspeaker incorporates a high power GoldenEar ForceField digital amplifier rated at 1200 watts. The amplifier's DSP design not only yields extremely linear and low distortion response, but also dynamically controls operating parameters for optimum performance. The amp drives two front-mounted 5" x 9" racetrack-shaped, long-throw woofers which are coupled to two opposing, inertially balanced 7" x 10" quadratic planar infrasonic passive radiators that are located on the sides (one on each side). The long-throw woofers features a special polymer-impregnated nomex cone, in order to minimize cone breakup when strongly driven. In addition, a huge magnet structure is utilized in order to better control cone movement and improve transient response. You can adjust the output level of the built-in powered subwoofer section independently from the tweeter and midrange drivers. The result is awe-inspiring bass, which delivers both musical detail as well as thunderous home theater effects. The advantages of building the subwoofer into the Triton floorstanding speaker are many -
- First, it eliminates the need for external powered subs in the room so you are not having to figure out placement and taking up more space in the room.
- Second, by engineering the subwoofer as an integral part to the speaker, you get far superior integration and blending than can be achieved with separate subwoofers, even when using two.
- Third, the two built-in powered subwoofer sections in a pair of Triton Series floorstanders couple better to the air in the room, helping to better deal with the room's acoustics to smooth out the response.
- Fourth, the built-in dual powered subwoofer sections in a pair of Triton Series speaker are more powerful and provide bigger bass response than some single and even dual external powered subwoofer systems.
Unique Cabinet Shape: The speaker's unique cabinet shape is both acoustically purposeful as well as strikingly attractive. Its narrow front baffle and stylish rearward rake, in conjunction with the complex crossover, both aligns the driver array precisely for a coherent wave-launch directed at ear level at the listening position, as well as results in non-parallel front and rear baffles for better control of internal standing waves. And, the non-parallel side cabinet walls and slanted top provide the same acoustical performance benefit.
Connections: The GoldenEar Technology Triton Two+ floorstanding loudspeaker is equipped with a set of binding post terminals, LFE input, and AC power cord inlet.
- Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The simplest way to connect the Triton Two+ is via its binding post terminals which allow connection of bare wire, pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). These binding post terminals will send an audio signal not only to the tweeter and midrange drivers, but also the built-in powered subwoofer. A special circuit within the speaker takes the signal from the speaker-level input and converts it to a low-level signal which then drives the subwoofer power amp.
- Mono-RCA/LFE Input: The mono-RCA/LFE input can be used with your AV receiver or AV preamp/processor to separately feed the discrete "Low Frequency Effects" (LFE) channel into the powered subwoofer section (which then combines with the low bass present separately in the left or right channel signals). Unlike a conventional system, where the subwoofer is driven only by a subwoofer signal, the Triton speaker is driven by the left and/or right channel low frequency signal also. The use of this connection method will allow you to adjust the LFE channel volume level for movie playback from your AV receiver or preamp/processor.
- AC Power Inlet: The Triton Two+ comes with a detachable 9' AC power cord that will need to be plugged into the back of the speaker and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector for supplying power to the built-in powered subwoofer section. The built-in powered sub will automatically turn on when it senses an audio signal and automatically turn off when no audio signal is present.
- Always set the speaker setting within the bass management system menu of your AV receiver or preamplifier/processor to "Large" to enjoy full-range sound with deep bass.
- If only using the binding post speaker terminals (not the LFE input) for connection to your receiver or preamp/processor, then set the subwoofer setting to "No". If using both the binding post speaker terminals and the LFE input to make connect to your receiver or preamp/processor, then set the subwoofer setting to "Yes".
- The AC power connection will always be required to drive the built-in subwoofers.
Placement Options: The GoldenEar Technology Triton Series floorstanding loudspeaker is designed to allow flexible placement while providing a very large window of sound throughout your listening room. To ensure the best performance possible, observe the following placement guidelines -
- For the most accurate and natural timbre, the speaker's high-frequency drivers should be at approximately ear level. A pair of Triton Series speakers should form a equilateral triangle between each other and the main seated listening position. To further optimize imaging, turn a pair of speakers inward (toe-in) so they point toward the listening position with their axes crossing just behind it.
- Placing the speaker in a corner will over-emphasize bass and reduce overall clarity. If possible, position the loudspeaker 8" or more from the wall behind the speaker and as much as possible from either side wall. This will ensure better bass performance and optimal midrange clarity. If this is not, use the subwoofer level control on the back of the speaker to adjust for optimum sound in your room.
- When used as surround speakers, the Triton Series speaker may be located on the side or behind the main listening area. When used on the sides, take care never to locate the speaker forward of the main listening position. If the speaker is placed along the rear wall as surrounds, it is suggested that the speaker be positioned fairly wide apart if possible. For instance, if there is a couch in the center of the rear wall on which the listeners will sit, try to position the speaker wider apart than the couch.
Rubber & Spike Feet: The GoldenEar Technology Triton Series floorstanding loudspeaker comes with a set of rubber feet for placement on hardwood, laminate, vinyl, or tile flooring. Spike feet are also included to provide greater stability when placing the loudspeaker on carpeting. Using spikes on wood or other hard-surface floors which are susceptible to being scratched can cause damage to the floor.
- Dimensions With Rubber Feet: 11.6875" (w) x 48.5" (h) x 19.125" (d)
- Dimenions With Spike Feet: 11.6875" (w) x 49.0" (h) x 19.125" (d)
Note: Always use the speaker with the the included base and rubber or spike feet installed for optimum performance and maximum stability. The rubber feet come pre-installed on the base and will need to be removed in order to install the spike feet.
1 question already asked