About the Mark Levinson No.5101
Crystal-clear disc playback plus built-in Wi-Fi
The Mark Levinson No.5101 offers a high-precision slot-loading transport mechanism for reading CDs and SACDs.
Crystal-clear disc playback plus built-in Wi-Fi
We're excited to offer the Mark Levinson No.5101 to anyone with a beloved disc collection. It plays standard CDs and SACDs, plus CD-A, CD-R and CD-RW recordings. It also connects to your network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi for music streaming. It all sounds fantastic, thanks to the built-in Mark Levinson Precision Link II DAC, which offers premium high-resolution playback for digital files. A beefy toroidal transformer with linear power supply delivers stable power with low noise.
The No.5101 features a high-precision transport mechanism to spin your discs. Proprietary circuitry reduces digital jitter, and there are seven selectable digital filters, so you can fine-tune the player's performance to suit your listening preferences.
An attractive aluminum handheld remote is included, for that old-school feeling of control. If you prefer to use your mobile device as a controller, the downloadable Mark Levinson 5Kontrol app turns your mobile device into a remote control.
You may spend most of your time playing favorites from CDs and SACDs, but the No.5101 has a few options for adding other sources. There's an Ethernet port on the back for making a wired connection to your network, and a USB Type-A port on rear panel for playing digital files from a USB drive. If you have other digital audio components, and you want them to benefit from this player's high-performance built-in DAC, you can connect them via single optical digital and coaxial digital inputs on the back panel.
You also have options on how to use the player's output. If you love the sound of the built-in DAC, the rear panel offers balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs, which benefit from the fully discrete Mark Levinson PurePath analog output stage. If you prefer to use an external DAC, optical digital and coaxial digital outputs are provided.
A legacy that sets the bar high
Since the company's inception in 1972, Mark Levinson has set world-class standards for quality, musicality and longevity. If you're lucky enough to find a vintage piece, the asking price may be higher than the original. And they're still designed and built in the USA.
We are thrilled that the recently developed 5000 Series brings the legendary sound of this brand into the realm of the attainable for more music lovers.
- Featured in our article: Best CD players for 2023
- stereo playback for CD, SACD, CD-A, CD-R and CD-RW
- connects to your network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi for music streaming
- premium Mark Levinson Precision Link II DAC for high-resolution playback of digital sources
- fully discrete Mark Levinson PurePath analog output stage
- proprietary jitter reduction circuitry and seven selectable digital filters
- high-precision disc transport mechanism
- beefy toroidal transformer provides stable power with low noise
- signal-to-noise ratio: 94dB unbalanced; 106dB balanced
- selectable low-pass filter for SACD playback: 47kHz, 50kHz, 60kHz, or 70kHz
- handheld aluminum remote included
- downloadable Mark Levinson 5Kontrol app turns your mobile device into a remote control
- optical digital and coaxial digital input
- USB Type-A port on rear panel for playing music from a USB drive
- up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution
- supports FLAC, WAV, AIFF, OGG, MP3, AAC and WMA files
- Ethernet port for making a wired connection to your network
- optical digital and coaxial digital output
- balanced stereo XLR output
- unbalanced stereo RCA output
- RS-232 port for use with home automation control systems
- 3.5mm 12-volt trigger for turning on multiple components with one switch
- 3.5mm IR remote control in/out can be used with an optional IR repeater system
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-1/4"W x 5"H x 18-3/8"D (with feet)
- weight: 25.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MLNO5101AM
What's in the box:
Mark Levinson No.5101 owner's manual
- SACD player/network streamer
- AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- WiFi antenna
- Owner's Manual
- Safety Information Sheet
Mark Levinson No.5101 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Mark Levinson No.5101
Features & specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||Remote|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Network Music Streaming||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Stereo SACD Playback||Yes|
|CD Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||94 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|SACD Dynamic Range||---|
|SACD THD||0.002 %|
|Digital Optical Input||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Input||Yes|
|USB Type-A Input||Yes|
|USB Type-B Input||No|
|Analog RCA Output||Yes|
|Analog XLR Output||Yes|
|Digital Optical Output||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Output||Yes|
3-in-1 Audio Player: The Mark Levinson No5101 is a 3-in-1 audio player that combines a Super Audio CD player, high-resolution network streaming capability, and Precision Link II Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) to bring you incredibly realistic sound reproduction. The No5101 includes a slot-loading SACD player, network streamer, and Digital-to-Analog Converter in one beautifully designed component. This means that the No5101 can play a variety of disc formats, supports high-resolution streaming from major streaming platforms, and plays music files from storage drives including USB.
Precision Link II DAC: To bring you a high-quality, vibrant digital music experience, the Mark Levinson No5101 includes a custom-made Precision Link II Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC). This premium component is the key to high-end, high-resolution audio, and reveals intricate details in your music that you've never even heard before. Five individual, ultra-low noise voltage regulators, power an ESS Sabre 32-bit Pro series D/A converter to unleash maximum performance. Proprietary jitter reduction circuitry and user-select digital filters - seven choices for PCM and four for DSD along with ample regulated power, enables the best possible digital sound reproduction.
- PCM Filters: You can set the filter characteristic for PCM digital content such as the digital output from a CD player. Try several of these filters with the types of music you typically listen to and choose the one you prefer. Choose from Apodiz Fast, Hybrid Fast, Brickwall, Fast Linear, Slow Linear, Slow Minimum, and Fast Minimum.
- DSD Filters: You can set the low-pass filter characteristic for DSD high-resolution digital content. You can select from roll-offs that begin at 47kHz, 50kHz, 60kHz or 70kHz. The audible effects of the different roll-off characteristics are subtle and will vary depending on the type of musical content and the high-frequency bandwidth of your speakers and headphones.
Pure Path Circuit Design: Mark Levinson's proprietary approach to circuit design delivers uncompromising musical purity and an engaging listening experience. The No5101 utilizes proprietary Mark Levinson Pure Path circuitry. Fully discrete, direct-coupled, dual-monaural line-level output circuitry delivers exceptional reproduction of the analog signal to the balanced XLR stereo outptuts, as well as the unbalanced RCA connectors. The linear power supply and toroidal transformer with separate voltage regulators for the left and right channels provide a quiet, stable source of power for critical analog circuitry. By using discrete components carefully selected for their precise function, the No5101 delivers unmatched sound quality that captures the nuances of every note.
Industrial Design: Robust materials, lavish finishes, and bold geometry are hallmark attributes of Mark Levinson designs. The 1" thick bead-blasted, black-anodized, solid aluminum front-panels are machined and contoured to flow seamlessly into the sleek glass display, which itself is recessed into a bead-blasted, clear-anodized aluminum bezel. With debossed top cover vents, screen-printed logo, and machines aluminum buttons, no details has been overlooked. The Mark Levinson No5101 is proudly designed, engineered, and precision-crafted in the USA.
Disc Compatibility: The Mark Levinson No5101 features precision transport and playback of SACD, CD-A, CD-R and CD-RW discs. Supported music files include DSD (up to 5.6MHz), FLAC (up to 24-bit/192kHz), WAV (up to 24-bit/192kHz), AIFF (up to 24-bit/192kHz), OGG (up to 24-bit/192kHz), AAC (up to 24-bit/96kHz), WMA (up to 192kbps/48kHz), and MP3, (up to 320kbps/48kHz).
USB-A Port: The Mark Levinson No5101 can navigate and playback audio files from a USB flash drive connected to its USB (type-A) input. Supported music files include DSD (up to 5.6MHz), FLAC (up to 24-bit/192kHz), WAV (up to 24-bit/192kHz), AIFF (up to 24-bit/192kHz), OGG (up to 24-bit/192kHz), AAC (up to 24-bit/96kHz), WMA (up to 192kbps/48kHz), and MP3, (up to 320kbps/48kHz).
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: The Mark Levinson No5101 features a Ethernet jack (RJ45) and built-in 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11 b/gn) for a hardwired or wireless connection to your home's network router. The network connection allows for support of DLNA/UPnP, 5Kontrol app, and firmware updates.
DLNA/UPnP: The Mark Levinson No5101 can stream from NAS drives connected to the same network as the N05101, as well as receive streaming audio from DLNA and UPnP devices connected to the network. Supported music files include DSD (up to 5.6MHz), FLAC (up to 24-bit/192kHz), WAV (up to 24-bit/192kHz), AIFF (up to 24-bit/192kHz), OGG (up to 24-bit/192kHz), AAC (up to 24-bit/96kHz), WMA (up to 192kbps/48kHz), and MP3, (up to 320kbps/48kHz).
Digital Audio Inputs & Outputs: With one coaxial (RCA) and one optical (toslink) digital input, the No5101 can serve as a premium stand-alone DAC for digital sources. Both digital inputs support 2ch stereo PCM audio (not compmatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel audio formats). In addition, the No5101 has one coaxial (RCA) and one optical (toslink) digital output which will pass a PCM stereo signal through to a device, such as a preamplifier or integrated amplifier (sold separately). The digital audio inputs/outputs support up to 24-bit/192kHz 2ch PCM.
Note: DSD (Direct Stream Digital) formatted audio will not be routed to the digital outputs due to copy protection requirements.
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Outputs: The Mark Levinson No5101 is outfitted balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs. The stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs provide connection to your integrated amplifier or preamplifier (sold separately). Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
5Kontrol App: The new Mark Levinson 5000 series 5Kontrol app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) allows you to control select functions of the No5101 from your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device, From the 5Kontroll app you can select inputs, control volume, mute, and standby from your supported smartphone or tablet device that is connected to the same network as the No5206 preamplifier.
- Make sure the No5101 has Firmware version 1.41 or above.
- The No5101 must be connected to the same network as your Apple iOS or Android OS device.
- The No5101 cannot be in Green Standby Mode. Green Standby mode disables network functions once in standby. Setup power to the Power Save mode or the Normal mode for the best user experience.
Remote Control: A newly designed, aluminum IR remote is included for wireless operation of the Mark Levinson No5101 3-in-1 audio player. The remote offers Power, Eject, Source, Menu, and Playback functions.
Control Ports: System integration and communicationports include IP (Ethernet), RS-232, IR input, and a 12V trigger input.
- Ethernet: This RJ45 jack supports connection to a home network via Cat5e or CAT6 Ethernet cable and allows you to access the Setup menu and other controls via a browser-based setup panel on your laptop or desktop computer.
- RS-232: This DB9F connector provides serial control through a standard RS-232 protocol. Click here for RS232 code data.
- IR Input: This 3.5mm minijack port accepts IR (infrared) control signals from other equipment.
- 12V Trigger In: The No5206 is outfitted with a 12V Trigger input that can be used to link other to another components in your system that also offers a 12V Trigger output, so they turn on and off with one another.
Front-Panel Display: The front-panel 32-character alphanumeric display provides information about the N05101's operating status. The top row will display non selectable information. The bottom row will display selectable menu items.
Auto Standby: The Auto Standby feature allows the Mark Levinson No5101 to automatically turn off after 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes of no audio signal and inactivity.
Firmware Updates: Firmware updates can accomplished via a wired or wireless local area network (LAN) connection. The installation process for firmware updates takes at least 15 minutes and should never be interrupted.
4 questions already asked