About the Wharfedale Crystal 4.3
Sweet sound from an affordable tower
Sweet sound from an affordable tower
Wharfedale's Crystal Series 4.3 floor-standing speaker is compelling to me for two reasons. First, the 80+ year-old British hi-fi company really knows its stuff, so even its "entry level" tower has been thoughtfully designed to make movies and music sound really good.
This tower speaker is also quite affordable (as are the other speakers in the Crystal line). That means you can build a pretty sweet stereo or home theater system around a pair of these floor-standers without cost getting out of hand.
A three-way design for smooth sound
The Crystal 4.3's three-way design matches a 1" soft dome tweeter with a 5" woven Kevlar® midrange and a 6-1/2" polypropylene woofer. Together, they create nuanced texture and detail across a wide frequency range. A rear-firing port helps reinforce low-frequency punch.
- 3-way design
- 1" soft dome tweeter
- 5" woven Kevlar midrange driver
- 6-1/2" polypropylene woofer
- frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 25-120 watts
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- bass reflex design with rear-panel port
- binding posts accept pins, banana connectors, or bare wire
- woodgrain vinyl finish
- removable grille
- 8-1/8"W x 36-1/4"H x 10-1/16"D
- weight: 32 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CR4.3BK
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- Grille (pre-installed)
- 4 Spikes (nut attached)
- 4 Washers
- User's Manual
- Installation Guide
Wharfedale Crystal 4.3 reviews
I did a video review comparing the Wharfedale Crystal 4.3 to the ELAC F5.2's. To me, the Wharfedales edged out the ELAC and I am a huge ELAC fan. These are probably the best deal you can find if you're looking for tower speakers.
Pros: Flat top-end frequency response Accurate highs Bass you can feel Good imaging Detailed Wide soundstage Stereo separation is good Male and Female vocals sound good Fun & Exciting Revealing
Cons: Wish it had a stronger center image People with reflective rooms may think they sound bright Slightly boosted bass
13 of 14 found this helpful
Great speakers!!! As these are my first set of standing speakers I am very pleased. Set up was simple
Pros: Easy set up and reasonable price
Cons: None yet
17 of 17 found this helpful
More details on the Wharfedale Crystal 4.3
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||50-20k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
3-Way Driver Design: The Wharfedale CR4.3 is a three-way floorstanding loudspeaker which incorporates a 1" fabric soft-dome tweeter, a 5" woven kevlar weave cone midrange driver, and one 6-1/2" polypropylene cone bass woofer. A finely tuned crossover network guarantees a smooth transition between the tweeter, midrange, and woofer with an enjoyable audible experience, both on and off-axis.
- 1" Fabric Soft-Dome Tweeter: The 1" fabric soft-dome tweeter ensures a wide dispersion, allowing multiple listeners to experience the same, rich soundfield.
- 5" Woven Kevlar Midrange: The 5" midrange driver uses a Woven Kevlar weave and rubber surround, combined with Wharfedale's advanced motor systems to guarantee the highest quality, clarity, and sonic performance.
- 6-1/2" Polypropylene Woofer: A 6-1/2" polypropylene woofer with Wharfedale's in-house manufacturing allows proprietary techniques to be used, ensuring the best possible bass performance. A special Hot Compacted Woven Polypropylene is used, where aligned polypropylene fibers are added in a matrix of thermoformed polypropylene. This results in a much stronger drive unit and therefore lowering distortion, even with large musical peaks.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: Exiting the rear of the CR4.3's cabinet is a large round port which increases the speaker's efficiency and improves overall bass performance.
Binding Post Terminals: The CR4.3 floorstanding loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of binding-post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana-plugs (single or dual).
Spike Feet: The CR4.3 floorstanding loudspeaker comes with spike feet. These spike feet are ideal for carpeted floors and are height adjustable. The spikes can cause damage to hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl floors (no rubber feet or protective discs are included).
- Dimensions with Spikes: 8.125" (w) x 36.4375" (h) x 10.0625" (d)
- Dimensions without Spikes: 8.125" (w) x 35.5" (h) x 10.0625" (d)
Placement: Try to position the loudspeakers equidistant (6.5' to 13') from one another and the main listening position. The speakers should be "toed" or angled (15° to 40°) into the main listening position. The speakers can be positioned as close as 2.25' to 3.3125' from a side facing wall. There should be a distance of at least 0.625' to 3.3125' between the back of the speaker cabinets and the wall (the speakers' bass extension will improve if they are positioned closer to a wall or corner).
Crystal-4 Series: Wharfedale's Crystal-4 series has been engineered to sound great for movies and music with crystal clear high frequencies and powerful bass. The Crystal-4 series consists of a floorstanding speaker (CR4.3), two bookshelf speakers (CR4.1/CR4.2), and center speaker (CR4.C) - all sold separately.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?