About the Wharfedale Diamond 11.4
A three-way design for Hi-fi performance
A Wharfedale Diamond 11.4 floor-standing speaker, shown in Rosewood with grille removed.
A three-way design for Hi-fi performance
Wharfedale's Diamond 11 Series speakers are an outstanding value. Use a pair of Diamond 11.4s for stereo music or as front speakers in a surround sound setup. Either way, they'll deliver dynamic, lifelike sound. Available in four beautiful finishes, this attractive speaker can enhance any room's décor.
The Diamond 11.4 is the least expensive tower speaker in the series to use a three-way design, distributing frequencies between two 6-1/2" woven Kevlar® woofers, a 4" midrange driver, and a 1" soft dome tweeter. Its neutral tone and strong bass response make it ideal for medium- to large-sized rooms.
Wharfedale paid special attention to the design of the 11.4's enclosure. Its curved cabinet walls minimize unwanted colorations to your music from panel vibrations or internal resonoance, allowing more musical detail to come through.
The engineers at Wharfedale have also refined their innovative rear-panel slot-loaded distribution port, which they introduced back in 2012. The port's design reduces the turbulence and noise you'd get with more average ported systems. And this fresh design makes the airflow through the port tube even more linear, for smoother low-frequency performance.
Bi-amp or bi-wire for even better sound
On the back of the 11.4 you'll find two sets of speaker input terminals. These let you bi-amp or bi-wire your speaker to get the best sound out of it.
Build a full surround sound system
Combine the 11.1s with other models from Wharfedale's Diamond 11 Series for voice-matched sound:
- 3-way design
- 1" soft dome tweeter
- 4" woven Kevlar midrange driver
- two 6-1/2" woven Kevlar bass drivers
- frequency response: 42-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 25-175 watts
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms compatible
- bass reflex design with slot-loaded port
- binding posts accept pins, banana connectors, or bare wire
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- removable grilles
- 8-3/4"W x 39-13/16"H x 14-1/8"D
- weight: 52.9 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WHD114BLK
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- Grille (pre-installed)
- 4 Spike feet (w/ locking collars)
- 4 Isolation pucks
- 2 Jumper bars (pre-installed)
- User's Manual
- Installation Guide
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Wharfedale Diamond 11.4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Wharfedale Diamond 11.4
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||4|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Kevlar|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||42-20k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
Textile Dome Tweeter: The Wharfedale Diamond 11 Series floorstanding loudspeaker delivers enhanced high frequency performance thanks to a newly evolved tweeter design. This new 1" textile dome tweeter features an over-sized ceramic magnet system with a copper cap for flux control and a pole-plate that is vented through to a specially shaped rear chamber to ensure excellent linearity and low resonance for precise high frequency sound. A custom designed, low-profile wave-guide around the tweeter provides wide dispersion of the high frequencies.
- Vented Pole Plate: The air behind the tweeter's textile diaphragm is vented through the pole plate into a large rear chamber creating more air movement, deeper excursion, and high SPL.
- Copper Cap & CCAW: The use of Copper Clad Aluminum Wire (CCAW) maintains the conductivity of copper while reducing the overall mass creating a lighter diaphragm assembly. The copper sleeve (cap) over the top of the pole plate reduces magnetic distortion.
Woven Kevlar Cone Woofers: The Wharfedale Diamond 11 Series floorstanding loudspeaker utilizes woven Kevlar cone woofers for its 4" midrange driver and two 6.5" bass drivers. These woven Kevlar cone woofers have been precisely treated and feature newly designed driver elements for clear midrange frequencies and accurate low-end bass response.
- Ribbed Basket: The midrange & bass drivers use a basket with a network of ribs that maintain the rigidity of the basket while leaving a large open area behind the cone. The rigidity improves transient impact while the big open area reduces early reflections to the cone.
- Massive Magnet Design: A massive magnet design both raises sensitivity and ensure absolute control of cone movement over the lower bass frequencies. In addition, the use of a specially shaped single-forged pole piece with copper cap controls the magnetic flux and ensures low distortion through the critical midrange area.
- Progressive Suspension: The midrange & bass drivers' progressive suspension features a lightweight foamed surround for an extended midrange response, in conjunction with a super-long-throw voice coil motor system, to achieve linearity and accuracy.
Fine-Tuned Crossover Components: Wharfedale's engineers use a highly evolved virtual crossover software system to help create a series of circuit options for combining the bass/midrange and treble drivers seamlessly. These circuit options are then evaluated using stringent listening tests over a period of months, involving a wide range of music. Once the final circuit strategy has been chosen, the design team fine tunes the crossover component values, the type of components and the circuit board layout to yield the most accurate, detailed, and enjoyable musical performance.
Non-Resonant Cabinet: For the Diamond 11 Series speaker cabinet, Wharfedale's engineers have refined the multi-layer sandwich of woods of differing density to subdue the identifiable characteristics of the cabinet sound, letting the drivers "speak" for themselves. Critical bracing of the cabinet panels, together with the curving of the cabinet walls provide a "non-boxy" shape with reduced resonances of more than 25dB below the driver output. In addition, the cabinet walls are lined with a specially developed internal fiber which has been chosen because of its outstanding absorbent qualities across a wide bandwidth. The result is a more natural, uncolored sound that reveals all the detail in your music.
Slot-Loaded Distributed Port Design: The Diamond 11 Series utilizes a slot-loaded distributed port design, where the internal port tube opens into a slot formed between the speaker cabinet and the plinth. This reduces the turbulence and audible "chuffing" suffered by conventional ported systems, which is caused by the sudden outrush of high-pressure air into the low pressure in the room. A further benefit is the increased efficiency of energy transfer from the bass reflex tuning to the room. Both ends of the port feature a semi-parabolic entry and exit curve that control airflow through the port tube and allow increased air volume in the slot-loaded system for further improvement in the loudspeaker's low-frequency output performance.
Magnetic Grille: The Wharfedale Diamond 11 Series floorstanding loudspeaker comes with an accoustically transparent cloth grille that magnetically attaches to the front of the speaker cabinet.
Dual Binding Posts: The floorstanding loudspeaker has two sets of binding posts connected by jumper-plates. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using these dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Spike Feet & Isolation Pucks: The Wharfedale Diamond 11 Series floorstanding loudspeaker comes with four spike feet for carpet installation. Four isolation pucks with foam padding are also included to protect your hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. The spike feet screw into the bottom of the speaker cabinet's plinth and are adjustable so you can level up the speaker. The spike feet can be placed directly on carpet or set in the isolation pucks to protect hardwood, tile, and laminate, and vinyl flooring. The isolation pucks add approximately 0.25" to the overall height of the speaker.
- The loudspeakers should be positioned 6.5' to 13' apart and create an equilateral triangle with the main listening position. The speakers should also be "toed" or angled (15° to 40°) into the main listening position. The tweeter should be positioned at ear level in regards to the main listening position when seated.
- Position the speakers at least 7" from the rear walls and 2.75' from the side walls. Bass extension will increase with the speakers positioned closer to the wall, but this may also cause the bass to sound too boomy or indistinct.
- If the loudspeakers are placed away from the walls, the inward angle may be increased by up to 40%, although this may restrict the width of the optimum listening position.
Note: The Wharfedale floorstanding loudspeaker should always be used with the spike feet installed for optimum sound performance and maximum stability. Make sure to use the isolation pucks to protect your hardwood, tile, and laminate, and vinyl floors.
Applications: The Wharfedale Diamond 11 Series floorstanding loudspeaker is an excellent choice for 2ch stereo music and multichannel home theater applications.
- 2Ch Stereo Placement: The Diamond 11 Series can be utilized in a 2ch stereo music application. Try to position the loudspeakers equidistant (6.5' to 13') from one another and the main listening position. The speakers should ideally be positioned so that the tweeters are roughly at ear level to a seated listener. The speakers should be "toed" or angled (15° to 40°) into the main listening position.
- Home Theater Placement: The Diamond 11 Series can be used as front and/or surround speakers in a home theater application. When used as front speakers, they should be placed equal distant on either side of the television screen (6.5' to 13' apart) and positioned at ear level. The front speakers should be angled (15° to 40°) slightly so they are aimed towards the main listening position. When used as surround speakers, they should be placed behind or to the side of the main listening position.
Diamond Series: Wharfedale's famous Diamond Series speaker line-up has served as the classic entry point to true high-fidelity sound with lifelike vocal and natural instrument reproduction. The new Wharfedale Diamond 11 series consists of three floorstanding loudspeakers (11.3/11.4/11.5), three bookshelf loudspeakers (11.0/11.1/11.2), and two center-channel loudspeakers (11.cc/11.cs).
6 questions already asked