About the Wharfedale Diamond 12.4
Sound that's big, but not brash
Sound that's big, but not brash
The Wharfedale Diamond 12.4 speakers sit at the top of the company's highly regarded Diamond series. Known for hi-fi sound at reasonable prices, the Diamond series consistently offers build and sound quality that seems at odds with its affordability. But we've seen and heard enough from them to know: these speakers are a smart pick. The 12.4s are great for someone looking to fill a large room with sound — or for anyone who wants their music to be enveloping — but who still wants sound that's smooth and balanced.
New woofer design
The Diamond 12.4 speakers are a complete redesign from the previous generation. Each 6-1/2" Klarity™ midrange and bass woofer is a mica-infused polypropylene cone. What does that mean? Polypropylene is very light, so it responds quickly to the audio signals — important for any speaker to reproduce music accurately. Mica is a mineral that adds stiffness to the polypropylene. That keeps the woofer from losing its shape, which can cause distortion. Combined with the 1" soft-dome tweeter, these new Klarity woofers offer sound that's impressively accurate and smooth.
Part of a complete Wharfedale surround sound system
The Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series features an array of speakers that are voice-matched for compatibility in an immersive surround sound system:
- 1" soft dome tweeter (woven polyester)
- 6-1/2" Klarity midrange woofer (polypropylene and mica)
- 6-1/2" Klarity bass woofer (polypropylene and mica)
- bass reflex design (rear port)
- frequency response: 40-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- minimum impedance 4.5 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 30-200 watts
- dual five-way binding post speaker terminals allow bi-wiring and bi-amping
- removable grilles
- 8"W x 45-5/16"H x 14-13/16"D
- weight: 49.3 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WHD124WHT
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Spike feet (w/ locking collars)
- 2 Jumper-bars (pre-installed)
- 4 Isolation pucks
- User's Manual
Wharfedale Diamond 12.4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Wharfedale Diamond 12.4
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Composition||Mica-infused polypropylene|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||40-20k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
Woven Polyester Tweeter: The Wharfedale Diamond 12.4 floorstanding loudspeaker features a 1" soft-dome tweeter that is made from a woven polyester material with a high-loss coating to deliver open and smoothly extended high frequencies. The magnet system and the front plate have been optimized for wide dispersion and uncompressed behavior. The front plate is flat and exposes the dome as much as possible; only a very short duct on the front plate balances the acoustic load and improves the SPL (sound pressure level) measurement.
Klarity Cone Woofer: Configured in a 2.5 way system, the Diamond 12.4 utilizes dual 6.5" Klarity cone woofers for impactful yet refined mid-range and bass frequencies. Wharfedale's Klarity cone material, formulated from a blend of Polypropylene and mica adds stiffness to reduce flexing, enabling a lightweight cone with high rigidity, low coloration and lightning-fast response.
- Low-Damping Surround: The Klarity cone is outfitted with a low-damping surround, thereby achieving both low colouration and expressive dynamics. By simulating many different cone shapes and adding ribs to provide further stiffening, a flat response curve was achieved without resorting to a high-damping surround, thereby striking the ideal balance.
- Precision-Made Magnet System: A precision-made magnet system with an aluminium compensation ring to minimise the effect of variations in inductance as the voice coil travels. This contributes to an absence of distortion and intermodulation generated by the motor system.
- High-Power Voice Coil: The voice coil is wound on a high-power epoxy/glass fiber bobbin and delivers greater power handling than an aluminum bobbin, while also being much stiffer than a Kapton type voice coil.
Advanced Crossover Network: The crossover network uses an acoustic LKR 24dB topology. This includes air-core inductors of the type more commonly found in high-end speakers, selected because they produce the lowest distortion of all inductor types. As the resistance of the coil is higher than a standard laminated steel or ferrite core inductor, the magnetic structure of the mid/bass drivers has been modified to compensate, resulting in fast, clean bass with no distortion from the inductor.
Magnetic Grille: The Wharfed-ale Diamond 12 Series floorstanding loudspeaker comes with an acoustically transparent cloth grille that magnetically attaches to the front of the speaker cabinet.
Dual Binding Posts: The Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series loudspeaker has two sets of binding posts connected by jumper-plates. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using these dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Spike Feet & Isolation Pucks: The Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series floorstanding loudspeaker comes with four spike feet for carpet installation. Four isolation pucks with foam padding are also included to protect your hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. The spike feet screw into the bottom of the speaker cabinet's plinth and are adjustable so you can level up the speaker. The spike feet can be placed directly on carpet or set in the isolation pucks to protect hardwood, tile, and laminate, and vinyl flooring.
- Dimension With Spike Feet Only: 10.5625" (w) x 45.5" (h) x 15.25" (d)
- Dimensions With Spikes & Isolation Pucks: 11.0625" (w) x 45.75" (h) x 15.25" (d)
Note: The Wharfedale floorstanding loudspeaker should always be used with the spike feet installed for optimum sound performance and maximum stability. Make sure to use the isolation pucks to protect your hardwood, tile, and laminate, and vinyl floors.
Application & Placement: The Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series floorstanding loudspeaker is an excellent choice for 2ch stereo music and multichannel home theater applications. Position the speakers at least 7.875" from the rear walls and 2.25' from the side walls. Bass extension will increase with the speakers positioned closer to the wall, but this may also cause the bass to sound too boomy or indistinct. If the loudspeakers are placed away from the walls, the inward angle may be increased by up to 40%, although this may restrict the width of the optimum listening position.
- 2Ch Stereo Placement: The Diamond 12 Series can be utilized in a 2ch stereo music application. Try to position the loudspeakers equidistant (6.5' to 13') from one another and the main listening position to form an equaliteral triangle.The speakers should be "toed" or angled (15° to 40°) into the main listening position.
- Home Theater Placement: The Diamond 12 Series can be used as front and/or surround speakers in a home theater application. When used as front speakers, they should be placed equal distant on either side of the television screen (6.5' to 13' apart)l. The front speakers should be angled (15° to 40°) slightly so they are aimed towards the main listening position. When used as surround speakers, they should be placed behind or to the side of the main listening position.
Diamond 12 Series: Developed in collaboration with Karl-Heinz Fink (one of the most successful loudspeaker designers in the industry), the Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series offers a high-fidelity sound with a contemporary styled cabinet at an affordable price. The Diamond 12 Series consists of two floorstanding loudpeakers (12.3 / 12.4), three bookshelf loudspeakers (12.0 / 12.1 / 12.2), and one center-channel speaker (12.C) - all sold separately.