About the Wharfedale Diamond 12.C
Hear every word of dialogue clearly
Hear every word of dialogue clearly
I recommend a center channel speaker for anyone with a system that does double duty for music and TV. The Wharfedale 12.C is a great value, and it's your ideal choice if you're considering Wharfedale Diamond-series speakers for your main fronts. The series offers lots of bang for the buck, and I've always been impressed with how elegant Wharfedale speakers look.
New high-tech drivers
The 12.C is a complete redesign from the previous generation. The dual 5-inch Klarity™ woofers are mica-infused polypropylene cones. What does that mean? Polypropylene is very light, so it responds quickly to audio signals — important for any speaker to reproduce music accurately. Mica is a mineral that adds stiffness to the polypropylene. That keeps the woofers from losing their shape, which can cause distortion. Combined with the 1-inch soft-dome tweeter, these new Klarity woofers offer sound that's impressively accurate and smooth.
Part of a complete Wharfedale surround sound system
The Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series features an array of speakers that are voice-matched for compatibility in an immersive surround sound system:
- 1" soft dome tweeter (woven polyester)
- dual 5" Klarity™ woofers (polypropylene and mica)
- sealed (acoustic suspension) cabinet
- frequency response: 90-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- minimum impedance 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-120 watts
- dual five-way binding post speaker terminals allow bi-wiring and bi-amping
- removable grilles
- 18-15/16"W x 7-1/8"H x 8-3/16"D
- weight: 18.7 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WHD12CBLK
What's in the box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 2 Jumper-bars
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User's Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Wharfedale Diamond 12.C
Features & specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5|
|Frequency Response||90-20k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Woven Polyester Tweeter: The Wharfedale Diamond 12.C center-channel loudspeaker features a 1" soft-dome tweeter that is made from a woven polyester material with a high-loss coating to deliver open and smoothly extended high frequencies. The magnet system and the front plate have been optimized for wide dispersion and uncompressed behavior. The front plate is flat and exposes the dome as much as possible; only a very short duct on the front plate balances the acoustic load and improves the SPL (sound pressure level) measurement.
Klarity Cone Woofer: The Diamond 12.C center-channel loudspeaker features two 5" Klarity cone woofers. Wharfedale's Klarity cone material, formulated from a blend of Polypropylene and mica adds stiffness to reduce flexing, enabling a lightweight cone with high rigidity, low coloration and lightning-fast response.
- Low-Damping Surround: The Klarity cone is outfitted with a low-damping surround, thereby achieving both low colouration and expressive dynamics. By simulating many different cone shapes and adding ribs to provide further stiffening, a flat response curve was achieved without resorting to a high-damping surround, thereby striking the ideal balance.
- Precision-Made Magnet System: A precision-made magnet system with an aluminium compensation ring to minimise the effect of variations in inductance as the voice coil travels. This contributes to an absence of distortion and intermodulation generated by the motor system.
- High-Power Voice Coil: The voice coil is wound on a high-power epoxy/glass fiber bobbin and delivers greater power handling than an aluminum bobbin, while also being much stiffer than a Kapton type voice coil.
Advanced Crossover Network: The crossover network uses an acoustic LKR 24dB topology. This includes air-core inductors of the type more commonly found in high-end speakers, selected because they produce the lowest distortion of all inductor types. As the resistance of the coil is higher than a standard laminated steel or ferrite core inductor, the magnetic structure of the mid/bass drivers has been modified to compensate, resulting in fast, clean bass with no distortion from the inductor.
Non-Resonant Acoustic Suspension Enclosure: The Diamond 12.C speaker uses an acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure for a more natural, uncolored sound that reveals all the detail in your music.
- Multi-Layer Sandwich Construction: A multi-layered sandwich design subdues the identifiable characteristics of the cabinet's acoustics and sound. Even the resonant properties of the glue between the layers was measured to determine the optimum combination.
- Intelligent Spot Bracing: Inside the cabinet, Intelligent Spot Bracing connects opposite walls with a specif form of wood brace to achieve optimal reduction of cabinet resonance. These braces are precisely modeled by computer simulation to improve the cabinet's non-resonance properties.
Magnetic Grille: The Wharfed-ale Diamond 12 Series center-channel loudspeaker comes with an acoustically transparent cloth grille that magnetically attaches to the front of the speaker cabinet.
Dual Binding Posts: The Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series loudspeaker has two sets of binding posts connected by jumper-plates. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using these dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Mounting & Placement Options: The Diamond 12 Series center-channel loudspeaker can simply be mounted on stands (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), shelves, or other piece of AV furniture with a rigid flat surface. Self-adhesive rubber feet are supplied to protect scratching the bottom of the speaker and the top of your furniture, as well as to isolate the speaker from the mounting surface to prevent unwanted vibration. The rubber feet add approximately 0.25" to the overall height of the speaker.
- The center channel loudspeaker should be positioned centrally between your front loudspeakers, close to the television and mounted above or below the center of the screen.
- If you mount the the center speaker above the television, move it forward so that the front grille sits slightly in front of the screen and the top of the cabinet.
Note: The Wharfedale center-channel loudspeaker does not include any type of bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall mount the speaker.
Diamond 12 Series: Developed in collaboration with Karl-Heinz Fink (one of the most successful loudspeaker designers in the industry), the Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series offers a high-fidelity sound with a contemporary styled cabinet at an affordable price. The Diamond 12 Series consists of two floorstanding loudpeakers (12.3 / 12.4), three bookshelf loudspeakers (12.0 / 12.1 / 12.2), and one center-channel speaker (12.C) - all sold separately.