About the Wharfedale Diamond 225
Sparkling musical performance
Sparkling musical performance
Meet the Diamond 225s, the top model in Wharfedale's Diamond 200 Series of bookshelf speakers. These high-performance speakers offer robut full-range sound with punchy bass and crisp, clear highs — especially when paired with a high-current amplifier.
High-quality drivers for music and movies
Each Diamond 225 speaker packs a powerful sonic punch. A 6-1/2" woven Kevlar® woofer complements a 1" soft dome tweeter, creating rich, full sound. They're ideal for the front or surround channels of a Wharfedale home theater system.
These speakers are also an excellent choice for a stereo music system. If you have a big room or want even deeper bass, consider adding a powered subwoofer to extend low-end performance.
Praise from Stereophile
"Forget the Diamond's modest price. This humble wooden box is actually a connoisseur-level audio component. It could satisfy any sane music collector for decades”
— Herb Reichert, Stereophile March 2017
The Wharfedale Diamond 225 bookshelf speakers feature two pairs of input terminals for bi-amping or bi-wiring.
Wharfedale paid special attention to the design of the 225s' speaker enclosures. They used advanced computer modeling to craft non-resonant cabinets with stiff walls and internal bracing. A slot-loaded port reinforces bass performance.
Bi-amp or bi-wire for even better sound
On the back of each speaker you'll find two sets of speaker input terminals. These let you bi-amp or bi-wire your speakers to get the best sound out of them.
Build a full system
Pair the 225s with other models from the Diamond 200 Series for voice-matched sound:
Center channel: Diamond 220C or Diamond 240C
Bookshelf speakers: Diamond 210 or Diamond 220
Floor-standing speakers: Diamond 230, Diamond 240, or Diamond 250
- pair of bookshelf speakers for music or home theater
- 1" soft dome tweeter
- 6-1/2" woven Kevlar woofer
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 25-120 watts
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- bass reflex design with slot-loaded port
- binding posts accept pins, banana connectors, or bare wire
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- removable grilles
- 6-7/8"W x 14"H x 11-7/16"D
- weight: 14.4 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Diamond 225-WHT
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Tweeter grilles (installed)
- 2 Woofer grilles (installed)
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- 4 Jumper bars (pre-installed)
- User's Manual
- Installation Guide
More details on the Wharfedale Diamond 225
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Kevlar|
|Frequency Response||45-20k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
2-Way Driver Design: The Wharfedale Diamond 225 is a 2-way bookshelf loudspeaker which incorporates a 1" fabric soft-dome tweeter and 6.5" woven kevlar cone woofer. A finely tuned crossover guarantees a smooth transition between the tweeter and woofer with an enjoyable audible experience, both on and off-axis.
- 1" Tweeter: The 1" tweeter uses a sheer fabric dome and advanced ferrite magnet system, surrounded by a carefully crafted wave guide that encourages outstanding midrange performance too.
- 6.5" Woofer: Semi-elliptical "break-up" areas on the 6.5" woven-kevlar woofer smooth the response through the audible range. The cone edges are treated with a unique diamond pattern rubber surround.
Non-Resonant Cabinet: The speaker cabinet combines layers of particle board and MDF, bonded in a unique structure to damp annoying resonances and block internal sound leakage. The result is that the "noise" and distortion from cabinet walls are buried more than 35dB below the driver output. Cabinet walls and internal bracing were developed using Wharfedale's latest "Virtual Speaker" software, with the help of Delayed Cumulative Spectral Analysis. The top, bottom, and side walls of the cabinets are finished with a wood veneer (black, rosewood, or walnut), while the baffle is finished with a gloss black lacquer.
Bass Port: Exiting the base of the speaker cabinet is a slot loaded distributed port created by the plinth. This equalizes the air pressure to mimic that inside the cabinet allowing a smooth transition between the pressure variation in the cabinet and the low frequency sound developed in the room.
Dual Binding Posts: Each bookshelf loudspeaker has two sets of binding posts connected by jumper-plates. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using these dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speakers provide improved bass & treble performance. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Mounting Options: These bookshelf loudspeakers can simply be mounted on stands, shelves, or other piece of AV furniture with a flat surface. Eight self-adhesive rubber feet (4 for each speaker) are included to protect the bottom of the speaker and the mounting surface, while isolating the speaker cabinets from the mounting surface. The rubber feet add approximately 0.375" to the overall height of the speakers.
Note: The speakers do not include any type of wall-mount bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert.
Placement: Try to position the loudspeakers equidistant (6.5' to 13') from one another and the main listening position. The speakers should ideally be positioned so that the tweeters are roughly at ear level to a seated listener. The speakers should be "toed" or angled (15° to 40°) into the main listening position. The speakers can be positioned as close as 2.3125' to 3.3' from a side facing wall. There should be a distance of at least 0.6875' to 3.3' between the back of the speaker cabinets and the wall (the speakers' bass extension will improve if they are positioned closer to a wall or corner).
Diamond Series: The Wharfedale Diamond series consists of three floor-standing loudspeakers (Diamond 230 / Diamond 240 / Diamond 250), three bookshelf loudspeakers (Diamond 210 / Diamond 220 / Diamond 225), and two center-channel speakers (Diamond 220C / Diamond 240C) - all sold separately.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?