About the Wharfedale Denton 85
Classic look, modern sound
Classic look, modern sound
For a remarkable 85 years, Wharfedale has delighted music lovers with their diverse lineup of high-quality loudspeakers. The Denton 85 is a celebration of the British hi-fi company's storied history, combining an iconic, timeless design with modern engineering and superb craftsmanship.
Each Denton 85 features an inset front baffle and hand-applied wood veneer finish.
Wharfedale is known worldwide for their natural, revealing, ultra-smooth sound. The Denton 85 is no exception — it uses the same 6-1/2" Kevlar® woofer and 1" woven textile dome tweeter that are found in the company's popular Diamond Series.
Upscale fit and finish
Each Denton 85 is hand-finished in walnut or mahogany by Wharfedale cabinet makers. An inset front baffle and traditional black cloth grille add to its classic good looks.
Get the most out of your new speakers
Proper speaker placement is crucial to getting the best sound out of the Denton 85s. Placing them on a pair of speaker stands helps eliminate unwanted vibrations and reflections. Read my article on stereo speaker placement for positioning and setup tips.
- pair of bookshelf speakers for music or home theater
- 1" woven textile soft dome tweeter
- 6-1/2" woven Kevlar woofer
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 20-120 watts
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- nominal impedance: 4 ohms
- each enclosure is hand-veneered by Wharfedale cabinet makers
- woofers are mounted in a special die-cast chassis to ensure dynamic performance
- bass-reflex design with dual rear-firing ports
- binding posts accept pins, banana connectors, or bare wire
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- removable cloth grille
- 9-7/16"W x 13-7/16"H x 11-15/16"D
- weight: 19.8 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WHDEN85THRM
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles (pre-installed)
- 4 Jumper-plates (pre-installed)
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber pads
- Pair of white gloves
- User's Manual
Wharfedale Denton 85 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Wharfedale Denton 85
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Kevlar|
|Frequency Response||45-20k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker: The Wharfedale Denton 85 is a two-way bookshelf loudspeaker which incorporates a 1" textile soft-dome tweeter and 6.5" woven Kevlar cone woofer. A finely tuned crossover guarantees a smooth transition between the tweeter and woofer with an enjoyable audible experience, both on and off-axis.
- 1" Tweeter: High frequencies are handled by a 1" woven textile soft-dome tweeter with high flux ferrite magnet, engineered for smooth, detailed high frequency extension.
- 6.5" Woofer: The 6.5" woofer features Wharfedale's innovative woven Kevlar cone mounted on a rigid die-cast chassis for rich, detailed bass/midrange output with superb dynamic performance.
"Classic"-Style Bass Reflex Cabinet: The Wharfedale Denton 85 features a "classic"-style bookshelf enclosure that is beautifully hand veneered in a Mahogany or Walnut finish. It features an inset front baffle and traditional black cloth grille. There are two rear-firing ports that aid in increasing efficiency and delivering bigger bass response.
Dual Binding Posts: Each bookshelf loudspeaker has two sets of binding posts connected by jumper-plates. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using these dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speakers provide improved bass & treble performance. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Mounting & Placement Options: The bookshelf loudspeaker can simply be mounted on a speaker stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), tabletop, shelf, or other piece of furniture with a solid flat surface. Self-adhesive rubber pads are included to place on the bottom of the speaker to protect your mounting surface and provide greater stability. The rubber pads add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker.
- Try to position the loudspeakers equidistant from one another and the main listening position.
- The speakers should ideally be positioned so that the tweeters are roughly at ear level to a seated listener.
- The speakers can be "toed" or angled (up to 30°) into the main listening position to control the soundstage or "sweet-spot".
Note: The Denton 85 does not include a bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.
5 questions already asked