About the Wharfedale Reva 1
Excellent sound with an upscale fit and finish
Excellent sound with an upscale fit and finish
The Wharfedale Reva 1s are the smallest and most affordable bookshelf speakers in the British hi-fi company's popular Reva lineup. These finely crafted little gems deliver natural, revealing sound without taking up a ton of room. Read on for a closer look.
Each gorgeous Wharfedale Reva 1 bookshelf speaker receives seven layers of hand-applied lacquer (shown in Piano Deep Rosewood).
High-quality drivers for music and movies
Each Reva 1 sports a 4-1/2" woven glass fiber woofer and a 1" textile dome tweeter. Together these high-tech drivers create a wide, full soundstage with pinpoint imaging.
These speakers are an excellent choice for an audiophile-level stereo system. They're also ideal for the front or surround channels of a Wharfedale home theater system, pairing beautifully with Reva center channel and floor-standing speakers.
Wharfedale paid special attention to the design of the Reva 1's attractive curved cabinets. They used advanced computer modeling to craft non-resonant enclosures with stiff walls and robust internal bracing. A slot-loaded port on the underside reinforces bass performance.
7 layers of hand-applied lacquer
The Reva 1s don't just sound good — they have a refined, upscale appearance that adds visual interest to your room. Each cabinet receives seven layers of hand-applied lacquer, adding an attractive finish that really stands out.
Are these speakers right for you?
The Reva 1s can deliver fantastic sound — in the right setup. That means you'll need high-current amplification; I recommend 50 or more watts of power from a quality power amp or integrated amplifier for the best performance.
Proper speaker placement is also crucial to getting the best sound out of these speakers. Placing them on a pair of speaker stands helps eliminate unwanted vibrations and reflections. Read my article on stereo speaker placement for positioning and setup tips.
If you'd like personalized advice on matching these speakers with an amp, give one of our advisors a shout for a free expert recommendation.
Add a sub for better bass
If you love hard-hitting thump with your music, add a powered sub to complement the Reva 1s. This doesn't mean you need to blast your room with bass, but it does give you that extra bit of low-frequency impact that helps re-create the live show experience. My powered subwoofer buying guide has tips on choosing the right one for your room and taste in bass.
- pair of bookshelf speakers for music or home theater
- 1" woven textile dome tweeter
- 4-1/2" woven glass fiber woofer
- frequency response: 52-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- for deep, hard-hitting bass add a powered sub to complement these speakers
- recommended amplifier power: 20-60 watts
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- each enclosure is built from specially chosen inert wood composites for natural sound without tonal coloration
- drivers are mounted in a special alloy-cast chassis to ensure dynamic rigidity
- bass reflex design with slot-loaded port on the underside of each enclosure
- binding posts accept pins, banana connectors, or bare wire
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- removable magnetic grilles
- hand-applied piano black lacquer finish
- 6-13/16"W x 12-1/2"H x 10-5/8"D
- weight: 12.4 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Reva1-PBK
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles (pre-installed)
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- 4 Jumper bars (pre-installed)
- Pair of white gloves
- User's Manual
More details on the Wharfedale Reva 1
Features & specs
|Finish||Wood composite laminate|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||4.5|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Glass Fiber|
|Frequency Response||52-20k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||28-30|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Reva Series: Designed from the ground up to offer state-of-the-art tonal accuracy and musical detail, Wharfedale Reva has been born out of a combination of extensive research into unique driver and cabinet technology, combined with a passion for music. Every part of the Reva speakers has been developed to work in harmony together - including how the drivers work with the cabinet. From their proprietary glass fiber weave midrange/bass drivers to the 7-layer piano gloss lacquer finish, Reva Series is stunning inside and out and will bring excitement to your music collection and home cinema experience.
Two-Way Driver Design: The Wharfedale Reva-1 is a two-way bookshelf loudspeaker which incorporates a 1" textile-dome tweeter and a 4.5" glass fiber weave cone woofer. A finely tuned crossover guarantees a smooth transition between the tweeter and woofer with an enjoyable audible experience, both on and off-axis.
- 1" Textile Dome Tweeter: A new, fine weave textile dome, with critically damped coating, has been chosen for the 1" tweeter, powered by a Neodymium magnet fitted with a finned heatsink to reduce dynamic compression. This unit offers excellent bandwidth, with a smooth response from 2kHz to above 20kHz, and is mounted on a subtly dished waveguide that enhances dispersion.
- 4.5" Glass Fiber Woofer: Musical accuracy and articulation is carried through to the midrange by a 4.5" midrange/midbass driver cone that incorporates a proprietary glass fiber weave that is naturally self-damping to reduce and distribute resonances to virtually negligible levels. The cone is mounted in a special alloy, cast chassis to ensure dynamic rigidity and a fixed, profiled phase plug ensures a smooth acoustic roll-off to enhance integration with the tweeter.
Non-Resonant Cabinet: Extensive research showed that coherent materials, like raw MDF, have peak resonances (particularly in the midrange) that let sound out of a cabinet at volume levels that interfere with the sound from the drive units. Not surprisingly, this causes a distinct coloration and character to the sound of such cabinets. To eliminate this, panel material comprises of a special lamination of wood composites, reducing the sonic character of the cabinets to a level where it cannot be heard.
Slot-Loaded Port Technology: The Reva Series also features Wharfedale's signature slot-loaded port technology. The slot-loaded port, which uses a gap between the plinth and the port exit in the base of the cabinet, aids the pressure differential between the port and the air in the room, increasing g the energy transfer and making the system more efficient. Research showed this removes the unwanted low frequency and high output distortion that is often found in conventional rear ported speakers. The slot-loading technology also means the speaker can be positioned near the wall, fitting seamlessly into even smaller living environments.
Dual Binding Posts: Each bookshelf loudspeaker has two sets of binding posts connected by jumper-plates. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using these dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speakers provide improved bass & treble performance. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Mounting Options: These bookshelf loudspeakers can simply be mounted on stands, shelves, or other piece of AV furniture with a flat surface. Eight self-adhesive rubber feet (4 for each speaker) are included to protect the bottom of the speaker and the mounting surface, while isolating the speaker cabinets from the mounting surface. The rubber feet add approximately 0.375" to the overall height of the speakers.
Note: The speakers do not include any type of wall-mount bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert.
Placement: Try to position the loudspeakers equidistant (6.5' to 13') from one another and the main listening position. The speakers should ideally be positioned so that the tweeters are roughly at ear level to a seated listener. The speakers should be "toed" or angled (15° to 40°) into the main listening position. The speakers can be positioned as close as 2.3125' to 3.3' from a side facing wall. There should be a distance of at least 0.6875' to 3.3' between the back of the speaker cabinets and the wall (the speakers' bass extension will improve if they are positioned closer to a wall or corner).