About the Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart
A big, bright picture
A big, bright picture
I love movie nights on a big screen, but standard projectors can be logistically difficult for living rooms like mine. Ultra short throw models like this CinemaX D2 Smart from Optoma offer a great alternative. You can simply place it on a low table just in front of your screen — saving yourself the hassle of ceiling mounting and eliminating the need for long cable runs between the projector and your other gear. Its bright, long-lasting laser light source can project a sharp image up to 120" from almost the very front of your room.
Easily stream your movies and shows
The D2 Smart includes the Android TV™ streaming platform (via dongle), so you can access your favorite streaming services like Hulu, YouTube, and HBO without having to hook up a separate source. And you can even search using your voice thanks to the remote's built-in Google Assistant.
Upsize your games
The CinemaX D2 Smart is also a great option for gamers who want to upsize their play area. It has an input response time of 16.7ms for 4K at 60Hz or a lightning fast 4ms for 1080p at 240Hz — great for fast-paced console or PC gaming. It also has a dedicated game mode that optimizes settings for better shadow detail — so you can actually see what else is in that dark cave with you.
The CinemaX D2 Smart has built-in speakers to help facilitate a quick setup. But if you want a little more, use the digital audio or minijack audio output to connect to a sound system. It has three HDMI inputs for connecting your high-definition sources. And one input is compatible with enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) for added flexibility if you do want to connect a separate sound system.
For the best picture quality from any projector, we recommend using a an ultra short throw projector screen.
- ultra short throw design lets you place the projector very close to the screen
- uses single-chip DLP system with XPR pixel-shifting technology to display true 4K UHD resolution (3840 x 2160)
- DuraCore laser light source delivers crisp image quality, instant on/off, and 30,000-hour life span
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 85" to 120"
- light output: 3,000 lumens
- ISF modes let you save calibrated settings for day and night viewing
- wall color settings adjusts image to compensate for different wall colors
- 1,800,000:1 contrast ratio
- HDR-compatible for lifelike texture and detail (HDR10 and HLG)
- supports 3D content
- Android TV dongle included for streaming content
- voice search with remote's built-in Google Assistant
- input response time of 16.7ms for 4K/60Hz or 4ms for 1080p/240Hz
- game display mode optimizes projector for maximum contrast and vivid colors
- horizontal and vertical keystone correction: 10°
- Creative Cast screen mirroring lets you display content from your compatible phone, tablet, or laptop
- 3 HDMI 2.0 inputs
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel)/eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- 1 Type-A USB port (power)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack output for connecting to a sound bar or home stereo system
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- detachable power cord
- S/PDIF optical digital audio output
- Kensington™ lock port to prevent theft
- 26dB cooling fan
- built-in speakers (10 watts x 2)
- backlit remote control
- 22-3/4"W x 5-3/8"H x 15-7/8"D
- weight: 18.52 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor on the projector; 5 years or 12,000 hours on the laser light source (whichever comes first)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CINEMAX-D2-SMART-W
What's in the box:
Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart owner's manual
- Video projector
- Android TV dongle (HAKOmini)
- 6' AC power cord
- USB/AC power adapter
- 39" microUSB-to-USB cable
- 12" microHDMI-to-HDMI cable
- Projector remote
- Android TV remote
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- Quick Start User Manual
- Android TV Instructions
Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart
Features & specs
|Native Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Resolution with Pixel Shift||4K UHD (8.3 million pixels)|
|Picture Size Range||85 to 120 inches|
|Dynamic Iris||Dynamic Laser Dimming|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||3000|
|Mounting Options and Design|
|Ultra Short Throw||Yes|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)|
|Next-gen Gaming Features|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|4K/120Hz HDMI Inputs||None|
|Smart TV Features|
|Apple TV App||No|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Audio Return Channel||eARC supported|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Audio Output||3.5mm, Optical|
|USB Media Port||Power/Service/Update|
|Approximate Lamp Life||20000-30000 hrs|
|Vertical Lens Shift||No|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||No|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-Home or Carry-in|
FeaturesDLP Projector: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart projector incorporates DLP technology from Texas Instruments (TI), which creates razor sharp pictures and amazing videos with incredible colors and brightness, while also providing reliability and longevity.
- DLP is a reflective technology and can deliver images with both high native ANSI contrast (2,000,000:1) and exceptional brightness (3000 lumens), creating a picture that is natural and life-like.
- Video and graphics produced by the latest DLP technology are sharper because the mirrors on the DLP chip are so close together that the gaps between pixels in an image are less noticeable. Spaced less than one micron apart, its mirrors create a crisp, detailed image.
- The inherent speed of DLP technology means that Optoma projector can output video and images at an astonishing rate of 120Hz for clear, seamless motion.
DuraCore Laser Light Source: Optoma laser projectors use DuraCore laster technology to create the projected image. The laser light source eliminates lamp and filter replacements for up to 30,000 hours of maintenance-free operation with consistent brightness, stunning color and exceptional image quality throughout the life of the projector. The CinemaX D2 Smart powers on nearly instantly with full brightness thanks to its laser light source, unlike lamp projectors that need warming up. In many situations the perceived brightness from laser illumination projectors can be twice that of an equivalent lamp-based model.
- The laser light source maintains stable brightness (3000 lumens) and color performance over the life of the projector without regressive decay like lamps.
- Laser dimming technology produces outstanding black levels, allowing for more details and clarity. It has a 1,800,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.
- Up to 30,000 hours (Eco mode) or 20,000 hours (Bright mode) of light source life ensures many years of reliable operation without lamp replacements.
Note: Built-in PIR sensors can automatically reduce brightness when children approach the laser light source to protect their eyes.
Ultra-Short Throw Lens: The CinemaX D2 Smart projector's ultra-short throw lens provides convenient placement for a huge screen experience with incredible detail and color. The projector's ultra-short throw lens can project an 85" to a 120" image from just inches away. The projector can be installed in one of two possible positions - in front of or behind the screen on a flat tabletop surface (the projector does not support ceiling-mount installation). The projector is equipped with two adjustable feet to angle the projector and adjust for the proper image height. Your room layout or personal preference will dictate which installation location you select. Take into consideration the size and position of your screen, the location of a suitable power outlet, as well as the location and distance between the projector and the rest of your equipment.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
- Use the Optoma Projection Calculator for further details on throw distance and screen size, as well as to assist you with placement of the projector.
- Because of its ultra-short throw design, the CinemaX P2 requires an ultra-short throw compatible projection screen (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- Allow at least 19.6875"of space around the sides, top, and back of the projector for proper ventilation.
XPR 4K Pixel-Shift Technology: Texas Instrument's XPR Technology is a pixel-shifting technology that helps the DLP laser projector achieve CTA (Consumer Technology Association) approved 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution. XPR Technology utilizes lightning fast pixel-shifting that creates pixels horizontally and vertically to perfectly quadruple the DLP projector's 0.47" DMD 1080p chip and generate 8.3 million distinct pixels on-screen. That's 4x more detail than Full HD 1080p and more than 2x the detail of Epson's 4K Pro UHD technology, which delivers just 4.1 million pixels.
- 4K UHD Resolution: 4K UHD resolution delivers sharper, life-like images and richer colors - allowing you to sit closer to the screen and enjoy a more immersive experience.
- 4K UHD Upscale: The Optoma DLP laser projector will also upscale lower resolution source content to 4K UHD. It will upscale WXGA, 720p, 1080p, WUXGA, and 1440p video resolutions to 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 60Hz.
Note: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart is not Native 4K. It uses pixel-shifting technology to create a 4K display image from a 1080p DLP chip.
Amazing Color: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart projector provides reliable performance suitable for any content and environment; watch movies, TV shows and play games with amazing color. The Optoma DLP laser projector is capable of reproducing the Rec.709 color gamut, the international HDTV standard to guarantee accurate reproduction of cinematic color exactly as the director intended. It can also be setup to produce more saturated colors for a punchy looking image, great for gaming and animated movies.
- BrilliantColor: BrilliantColor technology utilizes a new color-processing algorithm and enhancements to enable higher brightness while providing true, more vibrant colors in picture.
- CMS (Color Management System): Its CMS (Color Management System) displays accurate lifelike colors to best match your viewing content and environment; this unique feature provides you with the flexibility to fine-tune the color settings for optimal precision.
Dynamic Black Technology: Dynamic Black Technology gives more depth to your image by smoothly adjusting the laser output, based on the brightness information of each frame. As a result, the Optoma DLP laser projector can create a stunning high contrast ratio of 1,800,000:1. Bright scenes appear crisp and clear, while dark scenes remain detailed with deep blacks and exceptional light and shade detail.
HDR Compatible: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart projectoris capable of receiving and displaying HDR content via its two HDMI 2.0 inputs. HDR (High Dynamic Range) enhances the image brightness and contrast for more detail and texture with a greater sense of depth in order to produce a more natural and life like image. The projector is compatible with HDR10 and HLG formats (not compatible with HDR10+ or Dolby Vision). You can choose between 4 HDR Picture Modes to adjust the dynamic range according to the video content or environment.
- Bright: Choose the Bright Mode for brighter and more saturated colors.
- Standard: Choose Standard Mode for natural looking colors with a balance of warm and cool tones.
- Film: Choose Film Mode for improved improved motion and film-like image.
- Detail: Choose Detail Mode for improved detail and image sharpness.
Smooth Motion Video: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart projector offers smomoth motion video for both movies and gaming.
- PureMotion (24p): PureMotion is a form of video processing with an attempt to make video filmed in 24fps to be more smooth and to compensate for motion blur. The processing will generate transitional frames in between the existing ones to reduce motion judder. You will enjoy smooth fast-moving scenes with PureMotion.
- Enhanced Gaming Mode: Enhanced gaming mode reduces input lag for lightning-fast response times (16.9ms response time in 4K at 60Hz and 4.4ms in 1080P at 240Hz). Enjoy ultra-smooth fluid motion and reduced ghosting. A high refresh rate makes it easier to keep track of the action, giving you a better chance of hitting your target earlier.
Note: When the Enhanced Gaming Mode is enabled some audio/video settings will be disabled.
3D-Ready: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart laser projector can display 1080p 3D content from almost any 3D source, including 3D Blu-ray players, 3D broadcasting, and the latest generation games consoles. You'll need a pair of Optoma's DLP Link active shutter 3D Glasses (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield). 3D content is available in 720p or 1080p (not 4K).
Display Modes: You can choose from a variety of factory optimized display mode presets to suit your source content, as well as manually adjust picture settings to suit your personal preference.
- Reference: This mode is intended to reproduce as close as possible the image the way the movie director intended. Color, color temperature, brightness, contrast and gamma settings are all configured to standard reference levels.
- HDR/HLG: HDR Mode decodes and displays High Dynamic Range (HDR) content for the deepest blacks, brightest whites, and vivid cinematic color. This mode will be automatically enabled if HDR is set to On and HDR Content is sent to the projector. There is also a dedicated HLG mode for HDR content that uses the Hybrid Log-Gamma format.
- HDR SIM: This mode is used to enhance non-HDR content with simulated High Dynamic Range (HDR). Choose this mode to enhance gamma, contrast, and color saturation for non-HDR content (720p and 1080p Broadcast/Cable TV, 1080p Blu-ray, non-HDR Games, etc). This mode can only be used with non-HDR content.
- Cinema: The Cinema Mode provides the best colors for watching movies.
- Game: Select Game Mode to increase the brightness and response time level for enjoying video games.
- Bright: The Bright mode offers maximum brightness.
- 3D: 3D Mode allows you to enjoy a three-dimensional effect from 3D content; 3D active glass are required and sold separately.
- ISF: ISF allows you to save your calibrated day and night mode settings for the highest possible viewing experience.
- User: The User Mode allows you to manually adjust the projector's Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color, Tint, Gamma, Color Temperature, Color Space, and RGB.
Image Correction: You can project an evenly rectangular image by placing the projector directly in front of or behind the center of the screen and keeping it level. If you place the projector at an angle to the screen, or tilted up or down, or off to the side, you may need to correct the image shape for the best display quality.
- Focus & Zoom: Use the included remote control to adjust the focus until the image is sharp and detailed. The projector's electronic zoom can be used to reduce or magnify the image on screen.
- Image Shift: Image Shift electronically adjusts the projected image position horizontally or vertically (this is not true Lens Shift where the actual lens moves).
- Four Corner: This setting allows the projected image to be adjusted from each corner to make a square image when the projection surface is not level.
- Keystone Correction: The projector offers manual and auto keystone correction. Keystone Correction adjusts the image distortion caused by tilting the projector. It has a vertical and horizontal keystone correction of +/- 10 degrees.
- 3x3 Warp: This setting adjust the image distortion by 9 points of geometric correction.
Wall Color Adjustment: If you are not going to be using a projection screen and do not have a white wall, you can use the projector's Wall Color adjustment feature. No problem! With the Wall Color setting you can alter the projected image based on the color of your wall. With six options to chose from you can easily adjust for blackboard, light yellow, light green, light blue, pink and grey walls to get the most accurate color gamut.
Integrated Speaker System: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart is equipped with an integrated speaker system featuring two full-range transducers powered by a 10 watt x 2 channel amplifier.
WiFi Certified: The supplied Android TV dongle supports dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz WiFi (802.11ac) and allows connection to your home's WiFi network router and ISP (internet service provider), so you can enjoy Android TV apps and Optoma's TapCast app. The included Android TV dongle features a microHDMI output and comes with a 12" microHDMI-to-HDMI cable to connect to the projector's HDMI input for audio/video playback. It can be powered using its microUSB port, the included 39" microUSB-to-USB cable, and the USB-A port (5V/1.5A) on the CinemaX D2 Smart projector.
- Android TV: Android TV lets you enjoy access to 400,000+ movies, TV shows, live sports, and play music and games across streaming services (subscriptions and fees will apply for online entertainment apps; not all Android TV apps may be compatible). Watch movies, TV shows, and videos from Amazon, Disney+, HBO, Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, YouTube, and more. You can also watch sports on ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, and more; as well as enjoy video games from GooglePlay. In addition, you can listen to online music and internet radio from Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Tidal, TuneIn, YouTube Music, and more. You can even customize the Android TV home screen to display your favorite entertainment apps for quicker access.
- TapCast App: The TapCast app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) lets you wirelessly display and share content from your compatible Apple iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS, or ChromeOS device on a projector screen. You can easily mirror content (such as videos, photos, and documents) from your compatible device running the TapCast app. You'll also be able to cast select online content, such as YouTube (Netflix not supported) to the projector using the Chrome web browser built-in to the TapCast app. In addition, the TapCast app is DLNA compliant, so you can display content stored on other DLNA complianet network devices on your projector screen. The TapCast app even has a Live Camera mode that allows you to stream live camera footage from your compatible mobile device to the projector.
- A home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition is recommended.
- The CinemaX D2 smart projector and Android TV dongle do not offer a wired Ethernet network connection.
HDMI 2.0 Inputs: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart DLP laser projector is outfitted with three HDMI 2.0 inputs for connection of the included Android TV dongle, as well as your satellite receiver/cable box, Blu-ray player, game system or computer. The HDMI 2.0 inputs support up to a 4K/60Hz (3840 x 2160) video signal, compatible with HDR (High Dynamic Range) content, and comply with HDCP 2.2 for playback of copyrighted 4K/HDR material. The HDMI inputs will also support playback of copyrighted 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p content.
Note: There are no analog composite or component video inputs.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): The Enhanced Audio Return Channel within the projector's HDMI 1 input enables the projector, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an AV receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the projector to your AV receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the projector. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the projector. eARC allows audio from the projector's HDMI inputs, network connection, and USB ports to be heard through your eARC compatible AV receiver or soundbar.
- Supported audio formats include Dolby Atmos (via Dolby Digital Plus), Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, or 2ch PCM.
- DTS:X, DTS, DTS-HD, and other multichannel audio formats not listed above are not supported.
Note: Your AV receiver or soundbar will also have to support eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) to accommodate the playback of these high resolution audio formats. If your AV receiver or soundbar only supports ARC (Audio Return Channel), audio playback will be limited to Dolby Digital or 5.1ch/2ch PCM.
Analog & Digital Audio Outputs: The CinemaX D2 Smart DLP is is outfitted with stereo minijack (3.mm) analog audio output and a optical (toslink) digital audio output to connect the projector to an active soundbar, powered speaker, or AV receiver. The optical (toslink) digital audio output supports 2ch PCM and 5.1ch Dolby Digital (not DTS compatible).
USB Power/Service Port: The projector's USB-A port (5V/1.5A) is used to power the included Android TV dongle. The USB port can also be used to perform service and firmware updates.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart DLP laser projector comes with a detachable 6' IEC 3-prong power cord that will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet; preferably a surge protected AC outlet.
Dual Remotes: The Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart projector comes with two remote controls; an IR remote that operates the projector and a Bluetooth remote that operates Android TV.
- Projector Remote (IR): The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the Optoma CinemaX D2 Smart laser projector. The remote is designed with subtle white LEDs to light up the buttons, making it to see and operate, especially in the dark. The IR (infrared) remote control sensor is located on the front-panel of the projector. Ensure to hold the remote control at an angle within +/-15° perpendicular to the projector’s IR remote control sensor to function correctly. The distance between the remote control and the sensor should not be longer than 19.6'.
- Android TV Remote (Bluetooth): The included Bluetooth remote provides wireless operation of Android TV without direct line-of-sight. The remote is equipped with push-button controls, as well as a mic button and built-in mic to activate Google Assistant Voice control. There are also two dedicated buttons for direct access to Netflix and Amazon Video. The Bluetooth remote will need to be initially paired and connected to the Android TV dongle prior to use. The Bluetooth remote has a wireless range of approximately 30'.
Google Assistant Voice Control: The CinemaX D2 Smart projector supports the Google Assistant for Android TV through the built-in microphone on the included Bluetooth remote control. You can simply trigger the Google Assistant by pressing the mic button on the remote and then speaking into the microphone after hearing an audible prompt. You can ask the Google Assistant to access Android TV apps, as well as control basic playback functions of those apps. In addition to Anroid TV voice commands, you can use the Google Assistant to control connected smart home devices and other Google Home enabled devices. The Google Assistant can also be used to find answers for many of your daily questions through Google's advanced search engine. The projector also supports voice control through the Google Home family of wireless speakers and other Google Assistant enabled devices (sold separately).
HDMI-CEC: HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) enables synchronization of Power On/Off between the CinemaX D2 Smart projector and connected HDMI-CEC compatible sources. Only the HDMI 2.0 inputs support HDMI-CEC.
RS-232C Control: The projector offers remote management control via its RS-232C port. The RS-232C connection can be used to control Power, Brightness, Contrast, and other projector settings from your laptop or desktop computer, or a 3rd party remote management system - such as Crestron, Extron, AMX, or PJLink.
Sleep Timer: A Sleep Timer allows you to set the projector to automatically turn off after a predetermined set amount of time (0 to 16.5 hours in 30 minute increments).
Auto Power Off: There may be instances when the projector is left running when not in use. To help save energy, the Auto Power Off feature automatically turns off the projector after a set period of time if it is not being used. The default auto power off setting is 20 minutes.
1 question already asked
This projector is amazing! I upgraded from a 1080p Optoma projector, this 4K short throw is inches away from my wall.
Eric from Power Springs