About the Optoma CinemaX P2 Ultra Short Throw Projector
A big, bright picture
A big, bright picture
I love movie nights on a big screen, but standard projectors can be logistically difficult for living rooms like mine. Ultra short throw models like this CinemaX P2 from Optoma offer a great alternative. You can simply place it on a low table almost directly under your screen — saving yourself the hassle of ceiling mounting and eliminating the need for long cable runs between the projector and your other gear. Its bright, long-lasting laser light source can project a sharp image up to 120" from almost the very front of your room.
Optoma's CinemaX P2 is a decor-friendly way to massively upgrade your movie nights.
The CinemaX P2 includes access to apps via the Optoma Marketplace so you can use streaming services like Netflix® and YouTube without having to hook up a separate source. Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant compatibility means you can control the projector's basic commands with your voice control device of choice.
A built-in sound bar
Most projectors have only a tiny speaker, or no speaker at all, with the expectation that you'll be connecting your own separate sound system. The CinemaX P2 allows you to keep the installation super-streamlined thanks to its more robust built-in two-channel system with two full-range speakers and two woofers. You can even connect your phone to it via Bluetooth® and use it as a standalone speaker during your movie's intermission.
More connections are there if you need them
There are three HDMI inputs for connecting other gear, like a Blu-ray player or streaming stick. And one input is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC) for added flexibility if you do want to connect a separate sound system. There are two usable USB ports: one for connecting a flash drive or other compatible device and another to power HDMI dongles.
For the best picture quality with this projector, we recommend using an ultra short throw screen.
- ultra short throw design lets you place the projector almost directly under the screen
- uses single-chip DLP system with XPR pixel-shifting technology to display true 4K UHD resolution (3840 x 2160)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- laser light source delivers crisp image quality, instant on/off, and 30,000-hour life span
- recommended screen size: 85" to 120"
- light output: 3,000 lumens
- dynamic black technology for enhanced contrast and black level
- 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio
- compatible with HDR10 High Dynamic Range video sources
- built-in Android™ OS lets you access your favorite streaming services like Netflix and YouTube without having to hook up a separate source
- compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa devices for voice control (sold separately)
- use TapCast companion app to screen share from compatible devices
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream music from your phone to the projector's speaker system
- SmartFIT companion app offers auto image alignment
- 2X zoom lens (digital zoom/focus)
- horizontal keystone correction: ±5°
- vertical keystone correction::+5°/-10°
- 3 HDMI inputs (two 2.0, one 1.4a)
- HDMI 1 input supports ARC (Audio Return Channel)
- Toslink optical digital audio output
- Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- 1.5A USB Type-A port can power streaming sticks (sold separately)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack audio output for connecting a powered sub
- detachable power cord
- quiet 24dB cooling fan
- built-in 2-channel sound bar with 2 full-range speakers and two woofers (40 watts)
- rechargeable remote included for easy control of projector and compatible connected devices
- throw ratio: 0.25:1
- 22-3/4"W x 5-3/8"H x 16"D (includes allowance for cable connections)
- weight: 25.66 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts & labor on the projector; 5 years or 12,000 hours on the laser light source (whichever comes first)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CINEMAX P2
What's in the box:
- Video projector
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 40" microUSB-to-USB cable
- 2 Foot-spacers (pre-installed)
- SmartFit Distance Cards
- Quick Start User Manual
- Smart functions note
Optoma CinemaX P2 Ultra Short Throw Projector reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Optoma CinemaX P2 Ultra Short Throw Projector
Features & specs
|Native Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Resolution with Pixel Shift||4K UHD (8.3 million pixels)|
|Picture Size Range||85 to 120 inches|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||3000|
|Mounting Options and Design|
|Ultra Short Throw||Yes|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)|
|Next-gen Gaming Features|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|4K/120Hz HDMI Inputs||None|
|Smart TV Features|
|Apple TV App||No|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Audio Return Channel||ARC supported|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|USB Media Port||1|
|Approximate Lamp Life||20000-30000 hrs|
|Vertical Lens Shift||No|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||No|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
FeaturesDLP Projector: The Optoma CinemaX P2 projector incorporates DLP technology from Texas Instruments (TI), which creates razor sharp pictures and amazing videos with incredible colors and brightness, while also providing reliability and longevity.
- DLP is a reflective technology and can deliver images with both high native ANSI contrast (2,000,000:1) and exceptional brightness (3000 lumens), creating a picture that is natural and life-like.
- Video and graphics produced by the latest DLP technology are sharper because the mirrors on the DLP chip are so close together that the gaps between pixels in an image are less noticeable. Spaced less than one micron apart, its mirrors create a crisp, detailed image.
- The inherent speed of DLP technology means that Optoma projector can output video and images at an astonishing rate of 120Hz for clear, seamless motion.
Laser Light Source: A laser light source eliminates lamp and filter replacements for up to 30,000 hours of maintenance-free operation with consistent brightness, stunning color and exceptional image quality throughout the life of the projector. The CinemaX P2 powers on nearly instantly with full brightness thanks to its laser light source, unlike lamp projectors that need warming up.
- The laser light source maintains stable brightness (3000 lumens) and color performance over the life of the projector without regressive decay like lamps.
- Laser dimming technology produces outstanding black levels, allowing for more details and clarity. It has a 2,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.
- Up to 30,000 hours (Eco mode) or 20,000 hours (Bright mode) of light source life ensures many years of reliable operation without lamp replacements.
- Built-in PIR sensors can automatically reduce brightness when children approach the laser light source to protect their eyes.
High-Performance Glass Lens: The Optoma CinemaX P2' features a high-performance glass optics lens with a fixed focal length of 525mm, throw ratio of 0.25:1, and 0.8-2.0x digital zoom. This high performance lens aids in producing an accurate, razor, sharp, high quality image.
- Powered Focus: The CinemaX P2 does not feature a traditional focus ring. Instead, focus is controlled from the projector's remote control.
- 4-Corner Correction: You can adjust the projector's keystone in both the vertical and horizontal plane. You can individually adjust each corner of the image to create a perfectly square image. Ideal for uneven walls or where projector placement is awkward and needs to be installed at an angle.
Ultra-Short Throw Design: The CinemaX P2's space-saving, ultra-short throw design provides convenient placement for a huge screen experience with incredible detail and color. The projector's ultra-short ratio can project an 85" to a 120" image from just inches away. It can be installed in one of two possible positions - in front of or behind the screen on a flat tabletop surface (the projector does not support ceiling-mount installation). The projector is equipped with two adjustable feet to angle the projector and adjust for the proper image height. Your room layout or personal preference will dictate which installation location you select. Take into consideration the size and position of your screen, the location of a suitable power outlet, as well as the location and distance between the projector and the rest of your equipment.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
- Because of its ultra-short throw design, the CinemaX P2 requires an ultra-short throw compatible projection screen (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- Allow at least 19.6875"of space around the sides, top, and back of the projector for proper ventilation.
XPR 4K Pixel-Shift Technology: Texas Instrument's XPR Technology is a pixel-shifting technology that helps the DLP laser projector achieve CTA (Consumer Technology Association) approved 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution. XPR Technology utilizes lightning fast pixel-shifting that creates pixels horizontally and vertically to perfectly quadruple the DLP projector's 0.47" DMD 1080p chip and generate 8.3 million distinct pixels on-screen. That's 4x more detail than Full HD 1080p and more than 2x the detail of Epson's 4K Pro UHD technology, which delivers just 4.1 million pixels.
- 4K UHD Resolution: 4K UHD resolution delivers sharper, life-like images and richer colors - allowing you to sit closer to the screen and enjoy a more immersive experience.
- 4K UHD Upscale: The Optoma DLP laser projector will also upscale lower resolution source content to 4K UHD. It will upscale WXGA, 720p, 1080p, WUXGA, and 1440p video resolutions to 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 60Hz.
Note: The Optoma UHD38 is not Native 4K. It uses pixel-shifting technology to create a 4K display image from a 1080p DLP chip.
Vivid Color & Dynamic Contrast: Experience enhanced brightness, richer colors and vibrant reds with the 6-segment color wheel. The RGBRGB color wheel brings accurate cinematic color to your home, reproducing movies, TV and games the way the director envisioned it. Laser dimming technology produces outstanding dynamic contrast of 2,000,000:1; allowing for more detail and clarity.
- BrilliantColor: The improved BrilliantColor technology, as well as the elevated 120% of Rec.709 gamut coverage (1.07 billion colors), delivers richer color performance and makes pictures even more realistic. BrilliantColor technology utilizes an advanced color-processing algorithm to enable higher brightness while providing true, more vibrant colors in picture.
- Dynamic Black Technology: Dynamic Black Technology gives more depth to your image by smoothly adjusting the laser output, based on the brightness information of each frame. As a result, the Optoma DLP laser projector can create a stunning high contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1. Bright scenes appear crisp and clear, while dark scenes remain detailed with deep blacks and exceptional light and shade detail.
HDR Compatible: The Optoma CinemaX P2 is capable of receiving and displaying HDR content via its two HDMI 2.0 inputs. HDR (High Dynamic Range) enhances the image brightness and contrast for more detail and texture with a greater sense of depth in order to produce a more natural and life like image. The projector is compatible with HDR10 and HLG formats (not compatible with HDR10+ or Dolby Vision). You can choose between 4 HDR Picture Modes to adjust the dynamic range according to the video content or environment.
- Bright: Choose the Bright Mode for brighter and more saturated colors.
- Standard: Choose Standard Mode for natural looking colors with a balance of warm and cool tones.
- Film: Choose Film Mode for improved improved motion and film-like image.
- Detail: Choose Detail Mode for improved detail and image sharpness.
PureMotion (24p): PureMotion is a form of video processing with an attempt to make video filmed in 24fps to be more smooth and to compensate for motion blur. The processing will generate transitional frames in between the existing ones to reduce motion judder. You will enjoy smooth fast-moving scenes with PureMotion.
3D-Ready: The Optoma CinemaX P2 DLP laser projector can display 1080p 3D content from almost any 3D source, including 3D Blu-ray players, 3D broadcasting, and the latest generation games consoles. You'll need a pair of Optoma's DLP Link active shutter 3D Glasses (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield). 3D content is available in 720p or 1080p (not 4K).
Display Modes: You can choose from a variety of factory optimized display mode presets to suit your source content, as well as manually adjust picture settings to suit your personal preference.
- Reference: This mode is intended to reproduce as close as possible the image the way the movie director intended. Color, color temperature, brightness, contrast and gamma settings are all configured to standard reference levels.
- HDR/HLG: HDR Mode decodes and displays High Dynamic Range (HDR) content for the deepest blacks, brightest whites, and vivid cinematic color. This mode will be automatically enabled if HDR is set to On and HDR Content is sent to the projector. There is also a dedicated HLG mode for HDR content that uses the Hybrid Log-Gamma format.
- HDR SIM: This mode is used to enhance non-HDR content with simulated High Dynamic Range (HDR). Choose this mode to enhance gamma, contrast, and color saturation for non-HDR content (720p and 1080p Broadcast/Cable TV, 1080p Blu-ray, non-HDR Games, etc). This mode can only be used with non-HDR content.
- Cinema: The Cinema Mode provides the best colors for watching movies.
- Game: Select Game Mode to increase the brightness and response time level (67.00ms) for enjoying video games.
- Bright: The Bright mode offers maximum brightness.
- 3D: 3D Mode allows you to enjoy a three-dimensional effect from 3D content; 3D active glass are required and sold separately.
- User: The User Mode allows you to manually adjust the projector's Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color, Tint, Gamma, Color Temperature, Color Space, and RGB.
Integrated Speaker System: The Optoma CinemaX P2 offers great sound from a 38-watt integrated soundbar speaker system that features two custom-crafted full-range drivers and two dedicated woofers inside a precision-engineered enclosure with isolated ported chambers. The combination of the two full-range drivers with two separate woofers deliver smooth midrange frequencies, crystal clear vocals and punchy bass for sound that immerses your movies and games. The ported enclosure adopts an advanced noise reduction technology to produce accurate bass with low-distortion.
Triple HDMI 2.0b Inputs: With three HDMI 2.0b inputs, you can connect your game console, set-top box, laptop, PC, Blu-ray player or media streamer to the Optoma CinemaX P2 DLP laser projector.
- Video Resolutions: Supported video resolutions include 4K UHD 2160p (24/50/60Hz), 1080p (24/50/60Hz), 1080i (50/60Hz), 720p (50/60Hz), and 480i/p.
- Color Depth: Supported color depths include 4:4:4 (8-bit), 4:2:2 (8-bit), and 4:2:0 (8-/10-/12-bit) for 4K @ 60Hz or 30Hz. 4:4:4 (10-/12-bit) and 4:2:2 (10-/12-bit) is also support for 4K @ 30Hz.
- HDCP 2.2: All three HDMI 2.0 inputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant for playback of copyrighted 4K/HDR material from a Blu-ray player, setup box, media streamer, or game console.
- Audio Return Channel: The HDMI 1 input supports ARC (Audio Return Channel). ARC extracts audio from the source device and returns the audio to a target audio device, such as a soundbar or AVR with HDMI ARC support. 2ch PCM, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, and Dolby ATMOS (via Dolby Digital Plus) are supported via ARC.
Note: There are no analog composite or component video inputs.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Optoma CinemaX P2 is equipped with a RJ45 (LAN) Ethernet jack and built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11ac) for a wired or wireless connection to your network router. By connecting the CinemaX P2 to your network router and ISP (internet service provider), you unlock the projector's Android 8.0 operating system (OS) for access to select online entertainment services, as well a voice control from Alexa and Google Assistant smart speakers (sold separately).
- Android 8.0 Operating System: The Optoma CinemaX P2 employs an Android 8.0 operation system (OS) that provides access to a variety of online entertainment apps from Optoma's online marketplace.
- Online Entertainment Services: Online video apps include Amazon Prime Video (480p only), Netflix (480p only), Hulu (480p only) and YouTube (4K UHD). You also get access to Spotify (requires Premium or Family account). There is even a Firefox Browser. Additional apps can be found on the online Optoma Marketplace.
Note: Subscription and fees will apply to many of these online entertainment services.
Triple USB Ports: The CinemaX P2 projector is equipped with three USB-A 2.0 ports - one is used for media playback, one for charging only (5V/1.5A), and the other for service purposes only. The USB-A 2.0 port that can be used for media playback supports the connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or HDD; some HDD's will require an external AC power supply. The projector can playback a variety of video, photo, and audio files stored on a compatible USB device.
- Video: Compatible video files include AVI, FLV, MKV, MOV, MP4, and WMV
- Photo: Compatible photo files include JPEG, PNG, and BMP
- Audio: Compatible audio files include MP3, AAC, WAV, and FLAC
Analog & Digital Audio Outputs: The CinemaX P2 DLP is is outfitted with stereo minijack (3.mm) analog audio output and a optical (toslink) digital audio output to connect the projector to an active soundbar, powered speaker, or AV receiver. The optical (toslink) digital audio output supports 2ch PCM and 5.1ch Dolby Digital (not DTS compatible).
Bluetooth Receiver: The CinemaX P2's built-in Bluetooth 4.0 receiver module lets you listen to music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop through the projector's integrated speaker system. You'll still use your Bluetooth-enabled source device control music playback. The projector can be paired with up to 10 devices, but only one can be connected and used for playback at a time. After pairing, the projector will automatically connect to Bluetooth device when in range. It has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Optoma CinemaX P2 DLP laser projector comes with a detachable 6' IEC 3-prong power cord that will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet; preferably a surge protected AC outlet.
Note: The CinemaX P2 does not offer Bluetooth transmitter ability and cannot output audio to Bluetooth-enabled headphones or speakers.
SmartFIT App: Optoma's SmartFIT App (Apple iOS 10.3+ and Android OS 4.4+) is an intelligent auto calibration app which solves painful manual adjustment of your projected on-screen image. This revolutionary auto geometry correction system utilizes 4-corner correction and warping to align an image to fit within the frame of the screen. SmartFIT eliminates the frustration and the excessive amount of time required to align an ultra short throw image. SmartFIT features two modes - Auto (recommended) and Manual (advanced mode).
Note: SmartFIT is optimized for wall-mounted ALR and non-ALR screens with a thin frame border (0.25" to 1.5"); results may vary by screen manufacturers.
Optoma Connect App: The Optoma Connect App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) has been developed exclusively for Optoma's ultra-short throw laser projectors. The Optoma Connect App lets you use your compatible smartphone or tablet device as a remote control for the CinemaX P2. The app also offers a relaxing and calming Ambiance mode. The Ambiance mode features a combination of preset artwork images, music, weather information, and a calendar that will display on your projector screen. You can even schedule the Optoma Connect App to to wake you up in Ambiance mode.
Note: The Optoma Connect App requires that your compatible mobile device and the CinemaX P2 be on the same wireless WiFi network.
Digital Voice Assistance: The CinemaX P2works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant using an optional smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).You'll be able to use voice commands to turn the CinemaX P1 on/off, change volume, change input source, control the USB media player, change display mode, change HDR picture modes, change PureMotion settings, change brightness level and turn ECO mode on/off.
- The CinemaX P2 does not feature a built-in microphone and requires a separate Alexa or Google Assistant smart speaker (sold separately) in order to use the voice control feature. Your Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant smart speaker must connected to the same wireless WiFi network as the CinemaX P2 projector.
- You'll need to download the Optoma Connect App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), as well as the Alexa App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) or Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device to setup the CinemaX P2 to respond to Alexa or Google Assistant commands from your smart speaker.
Remote Control: The included remote transmits commands via Bluetooth (not IR), so it doesn't have to be pointed directly at the projector for control. The remote features a built-in rechargeable battery (250mAH) that can be recharged using the supplied microUSB-to-USB cable and the projector's side-panel USB port (5V/1.5A). It takes approximately 1.5 hours to fully charge the battery. The remote has a wireless range of approximately 33'.
Note: Because the remote is Bluetooth, it will need to be initially pair with the projector before using it as a controller (see Owner's Manual for details).
HDMI-CEC: HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) enables synchronization of Power On/Off between the CinemaX P2 and connected HDMI-CEC compatible sources. Only the HDMI 2.0 inputs support HDMI-CEC.
Sleep Timer: A Sleep Timer allows you to set the projector to automatically turn off after a predetermined set amount of time.
Auto Power Off: There may be instances when the projector is left running when not in use. To help save energy, the Auto Power Off feature automatically turns off the projector after a set period of time if it is not being used. The default auto power off setting is 20 minutes.
Firmware Updates: Over-the-air firmware updates can be done via a wired or wireless network connection.
1 question already asked