About the Optoma HD28HDR
A great picture with the lights on or off
A great picture with the lights on or off
A dark, dedicated home theater room isn't an option for many of us. Thankfully there are projectors like this Optoma HD28HDR that get bright enough to compensate for well-lit rooms. It also offers full HD 1080p resolution, accepts 4K video signals, and supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) for lifelike color and detail on screens up to 300 inches.
Gaming on a massive scale
I love playing couch co-op games with my husband, but our 55-inch TV just feels so small with a split screen. This projector is a great option for gamers who want to upsize their play area. Its 120Hz refresh rate and lightning fast 8.4ms input response time is great for fast-paced console or PC gaming. It also has a dedicated game mode that optimizes settings for better shadow detail — so you can actually see what's at the end of that dark hallway.
The HD28HDR sets up easily on a table, or you can pick up a bracket and ceiling-mount it. The projector's built-in speaker helps facilitate a quick setup. But if you want a little more, use the minijack audio output to connect to headphones or a pair of powered speakers. Two HDMI inputs make it easy to connect your high-definition sources.
For the best picture quality from any projector, we recommend using a projector screen.
- DLP technology with Full HD 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- accepts 4K video signals
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 30" to 300"
- light output: 3,600 lumens
- ISF modes let you save calibrated settings for day and night viewing
- dynamic black technology for enhanced contrast and black level
- 50,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- HDR-compatible for lifelike texture and detail
- supports 3D content
- low-latency 8.4ms input response time
- supports 120Hz refresh rate
- game display mode enhances detail in dark scenes
- 1.1X zoom lens (manual)
- vertical keystone correction: +/- 40°
- 2 HDMI inputs (one 2.0, one 1.4a)
- 1.5A USB Type A port can power streaming sticks (sold separately)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack output for connecting to a sound bar or home stereo system
- detachable power cord
- 240-watt lamp (lasts up to 15,000 hours in Dynamic mode)
- quiet cooling fan (26 dB)
- built-in speaker
- backlit remote control
- projection method: front, rear, upside down
- can be ceiling-mounted with bracket (sold separately)
- 12-1/2"W x 4-1/4"H x 11-3/4"D (includes allowance for cable connections)
- weight: 5.51 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # HD28HDR
What's in the box:
- Video projector
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Quick Start User Manual
Optoma HD28HDR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Optoma HD28HDR
Features & specs
|Native Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Resolution with Pixel Shift||N/A|
|Picture Size Range||30 to 300 inches|
|3D-Capable||Active (emitter built in)|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||3600|
|Mounting Options and Design|
|Ultra Short Throw||No|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)|
|Next-gen Gaming Features|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|4K/120Hz HDMI Inputs||None|
|Smart TV Features|
|Apple TV App||No|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Audio Return Channel||No|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|USB Media Port||Charging only|
|Approximate Lamp Life||4000-10000 hrs|
|Vertical Lens Shift||No|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||No|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Type of Warranty Service||In-home or Carry-in|
DLP Projector: The Optoma HD28HDR projector incorporates DLP technology from Texas Instruments (TI), which creates razor sharp pictures and amazing videos with incredible colors and brightness, while also providing reliability and longevity. It can be used with 30" to 300" screen sizes.
- DLP is a reflective technology and can deliver images with both high native ANSI contrast (50,000:1) and exceptional brightness (3600 lumens), creating a picture that is natural and life-like.
- Video and graphics produced by the latest DLP technology are sharper because the mirrors on the DLP chip are so close together that the gaps between pixels in an image are less noticeable. Spaced less than one micron apart, its mirrors create a crisp, detailed image.
- The inherent speed of DLP technology means that Optoma projector can output video and images at an astonishing rate of 120Hz for clear, seamless motion.
240W Lamp: The Optoma DLP projector utilizes a user-replaceable 240W lamp for high brightness and long-lasting life. The 240W lamp delivers high brightness (3600 lumens) for a vibrant image in well-lit environments (with no direct sunlight or lights directed on the screen). It has a lamp life of 15,000 hours (ECO) / 10,000 hours (Dynamic), or 4,000 hours (Bright). You can order a replacement lamp from Optoma by entering the serial number of your projector here.
Projection Lens: The Optoma HD28HDR features a F2.1-F2.31 projection lens with a focal length of 15.99mm to 17.14mm. The projection lens offers an optical (1:1x) and digital (0.8-2.0x) zoom with a manual zoom lever and focus ring to make sure your projected image looks great on screen. To adjust the image size, turn the zoom lever clockwise or counterclockwise to increase or decrease the projected image size. To adjust the focus, turn the focus ring clockwise or counterclockwise until the image is sharp and detailed. The projector will focus at a distance of 3.3' to 32.15'.
- Image Shift: Image Shift electronically adjusts the projected image position horizontally or vertically (this is not true Lens Shift where the actual lens moves).
- Keystone Correction: Keystone Correction adjusts the image distortion caused by tilting the projector. It has a manual vertical keystone correction of +/- 40 degrees.
1080p Native Resolution: 1080p resolution gives you sharp and detailed images from HD content without downscaling or compression; perfect for watching Blu-ray movies, HD broadcasting and playing video games. Most movies are shot at 24 frames per second (fps). To preserve the purity of the original image, The Optoma DLP projector can accept high definition sources at 24 fps to display movies exactly as the director intended.
- BrilliantColor: The Optoma HD28HDR DLP projector lets you watch your movies, TV shows, and play games with vivid colors. Its capable of reproducing the Rec.709 color gamut (over 1.07 billion colors), the international HDTV standard to guarantee accurate reproduction of cinematic color exactly as the director intended. BrilliantColor technology utilizes a new color-processing algorithm and enhancements to enable higher brightness while providing true, more vibrant colors in picture.
- Dynamic Black Technology: Dynamic Black Technology gives more depth to your image by smoothly adjusting the lamp output, based on the brightness information of each frame. As a result, the Optoma HD28HDR DLP projector can create a stunning high contrast ratio of 50,000:1. Bright scenes appear crisp and clear, while dark scenes remain detailed with deep blacks and exceptional light and shade detail.
Dual HDMI Inputs: With dual HDMI inputs (one HDMI 2.0 and one HDMI 1.4a), you can connect your game console, set-top box, laptop, PC, Blu-ray player or media streamer to the Optoma HD28HDR DLP projector. You can even turn it into a smart projector by connecting an HDMI dongle like the Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, or Roku stick (sold separately).
- HDMI 2.0: The HDMI 2.0 input supports up to a 4K/60Hz (3840 x 2160) video signal, HDR (High Dynamic Range), and is HDCP 2.2 compliant for playback of copyrighted 4K/HDR material. It will also playback copyrighted 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p content (3D video is not supported).
- HDMI 1.4a: The HDMI 1.4a input supports up to a 4K/30Hz (3840 x 2160) video image and is also HDCP 2.2 compliant for playback of copyrighted 4K material. It will also playback copyrighted 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p content; as well as 3D video. The HDMI 1.4a input does not support HDR.
- The Optoma HD28HDR DLP projector can accept up to a 4K/60Hz video signal, but can only display a native 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080).
- There are no analog composite or component video input
HDR Compatible: The Optoma HD28HDR is capable of receiving and displaying HDR content via its HDMI 2.0 input. HDR (High Dynamic Range) enhances the image brightness and contrast for more detail and texture with a greater sense of depth in order to produce a more natural and life like image. The projector is only compatible with HDR10 (not compatible with HDR10+, HLG, or Dolby Vision). You can choose between 4 HDR Picture Modes to adjust the dynamic range according to the video content or environment.-
- Bright: Choose the Bright Mode for brighter and more saturated colors.
- Standard: Choose Standard Mode for natural looking colors with a balance of warm and cool tones.
- Film: Choose Film Mode for improved improved motion and film-like image.
- Detail: Choose Detail Mode for improved detail and image sharpness.
Notes: 4K/HDR content will be displayed at the projector's native resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080).
Enhanced Gaming: An Enhanced Gaming Mode combined with a 120Hz refresh rate delivers lightning-fast input response times of 8.4ms for 1080p video, perfect for fast-paced and competitive console or PC gaming. The Game Display Mode provides a visual advantage by boosting shadows and dark scenes for greater visibility of impending obstacles. When the gaming modes are enabled, some settings will be disabled. Please refer to the User Manual for details and more information.
Note: The projector does not support 4k/120Hz.
3D-Ready: The Optoma HD28HDR DLP projector can display 1080p 3D content from almost any 3D source, including 3D Blu-ray players, 3D broadcasting, and the latest generation games consoles. You'll need a pair of Optoma's DLP Link active shutter 3D glasses (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield). Only the HDMI 1.4a input supports 3D video. 3D content is available in 720p, or 1080p (not 4K).
Display Modes: You can choose from a variety of factory optimized display mode presets to suit your source content, as well as manually adjust picture settings to suit your personal preference.
- Cinema: The Cinema Mode provides the best colors for watching movies.
- Vivid: In Vivid mode, the color saturation and brightness are well-balanced.
- Game: Select Game Mode to increase the brightness and response time level for enjoying video games.
- Reference: Reference Mode provides the most accurate natural looking colors close to Rec. 709, the standard for High Definition TV (HDTV).
- Bright: The Bright mode offers maximum brightness.
- HDR: HDR Mode decodes and displays High Dynamic Range (HDR) content for the deepest blacks, brightest whites, and vivid cinematic color. This mode will be automatically enabled if HDR is set to On and HDR Content is sent to the projector.
- 3D: 3D Mode allows you to enjoy a three-dimensional effect from 3D content; 3D active glass are required and sold separately.
- ISF: The ISF Modes allow you to save your calibrated day and night mode settings for the highest possible viewing experience.
- User: The User Mode allows you to manually adjust the projector's Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color, Tint, Gamma, Color Temperature, Color Space, and RGB.
Audio Section: The Optoma DLP projector features a built-in 3-watt speaker for audio playback, so you don't have to connect external speakers. There is also a 3.5mm audio output for connecting a soundbar or powered speakers. There is no stereo RCA output or digital audio output. The projector does not support ARC or eARC.
USB Power Port: Use the projector's USB-A port (5V/1.5A) to power an HDMI dongle, such as Google Chromecast or Roku Stick (sold separately).
Simple Control: The Optoma HD28HDR projector offers top-panel controls, comes with an IR remote, and supports HDMI-CEC.
- Top-Panel: Top-panel controls included Power, Menu, Source, Information, Re-Sync, 4 Directional Select Keys, and Keystone Correction. Also on the top-panel are 3 LEDs that indicate On/Standby, Lamp, and Temperature.
- IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the Optoma HD28HDR DLP projector. The IR (infrared) control sensor is located on top of the projector. Make sure to hold the remote control at an angle within 30 degrees perpendicular to the projector's top IR remote control sensor to function correctly. The distance between the remote control and the sensor should be no longer than 20'.
- HDMI-CEC: HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) enables synchronization of Power On/Off between the HD28HDR and connected HDMI-CEC compatible sources.
Mounting Options: The Optoma DLP projector is designed to be installed in one of 4 possible positions. It can be tabletop or ceiling mounted in front of or behind your projection screen (ceiling mounting bracket sold separately). The projector should be placed flat on a surface and 90-degrees (perpendicular) to the screen. The projector is equipped with three adjustable feet for adjusting the image height when installing the projector on a tabletop. There are three M4 threaded inserts on the bottom of the projector to attach a ceiling mount bracket (sold separately).
- The tilt angle of the projector should not exceed 15 degrees, nor should the projector be installed in any way other than the tabletop and ceiling mount, otherwise lamp life could decrease dramatically, and may lead to other unpredictable damages.
- Allow at least 11.8125" on both the left and right sides of the projector, as well as allow at least 3.9375" above and behind the projector for proper ventilation.
Note: Your room layout or personal preference will dictate which installation location you select. Take into consideration the size and position of your screen, the location of a suitable power outlet, as well as the location and distance between the projector and the rest of your audio/video equipment.
Projection Distance: The further away the projector is placed from the screen the projected image size increases and vertical offset also increases proportionally. See chart below for recommended projector distance based on size of screen; or use the Optoma Projection Calculator to assist you with placement of the projector.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
|60"||78.7" to 86.6"|
|90"||102.3" to 114.2"|
|100"||129.9" to 141.7"|
|120"||153.5" to 169.3"|
|150"||192.9" to 216.5"|
|200"||255.9" to 283.5"|
|250"||318.9" to 354.3"|
Sleep Timer: A Sleep Timer allows you to set the projector to automatically turn off after a predetermined set amount of time.
Auto Power Off: There may be instances when the projector is left running when not in use. To help save energy, the Auto Power Off feature automatically turns off the projector after a set period of time if it is not being used.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Optoma HD28HDR DLP projector comes with a detachable 6' IEC 3-prong power cord that will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet; preferably a surge protected AC outlet.
2 questions already asked