About the Dynaudio S4-C65
Hideaway sound from Dynaudio
Hideaway sound from Dynaudio
Dynaudio has a long history of creating high-end speakers for home, car, and pro audio systems. They also apply their design expertise to custom-install speakers as well. The S4-C65 in-ceiling speaker is part of their Architectural Studio Series, and it offers terrific sound while disappearing into your room.
The S4-C65's woofer and tweeter are mounted at an 18° angle, which brings sound down and towards you.
Angled drivers direct sound to you
The S4-C65's uses a 1-1/8" soft dome tweeter and Dynaudio's 6-1/2" MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) woofer for natural, full-range sound. These drivers are angled at 18° so that sound is directed toward your listening position.
You can also rotate this speaker 360° in its frame. If you rearrange your furniture down the road, you can easily change the direction your speaker fires without having to reinstall it elsewhere in the room.
Ideal for music and movies
The S4-C65 is a great choice for a high-end in-ceiling stereo system. Or use this speaker as a left, right, or center channel as part of a Dynaudio home theater system. You'll enjoy rich, full-bodied sound with all of your favorite entertainment.
Build a complete custom-installed Dynaudio system
Mix and match additional Architectural Studio Series speakers for a stealthy home theater system.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included round or square magnetic grille to blend in with your décor.
Founded in 1977, Dynaudio is one of the world's premiere speaker companies. Their wide range of speakers for home, car, and pro audio applications are the result of a unique combination of innovative driver technology, state-of-the-art manufacturing, and true hand-craftsmanship. Dynaudio designs and builds all of its drivers at the company's HQ in Skanderborg, Denmark.
- ideal for an in-ceiling music or home theater system
- 18°-angled drivers direct sound toward your listening position
- speaker rotates 360° within its frame, allowing you to easily reposition it within your room
- 1-1/8" soft dome tweeter
- tweeter is aimable to direct high-frequency details towards you
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- 6-1/2" MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) cone woofer
- frequency response: 55-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 87.5 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 50 watts
- unobtrusive frame and low-profile grille for discreet installation
- uniquely designed baffle latches offer quick and simple tool-free mounting
- includes round and square paintable magnetic steel grilles
- cutout diameter: 8-1/4"
- mounting depth: 6-1/8"
- designed, engineered, and assembled in Denmark
- warranty: limited lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 78000401
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- Paint mask
- Scrim cloth
- Cutout template
- Dynaudio logo
- Installation Manual
- Disclaimer note
Dynaudio S4-C65 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Dynaudio S4-C65
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Composition||Magnesium Solicate Polymer|
|Power Range (Watts)||up to 50|
In-Ceiling Two-Way Loudspeaker: Dynaudio's Custom Architectural Studio Series S4-C65 is an in-ceiling loudspeaker, featuring an adjustable 1" precision-coated soft-dome tweeter and angled 6.5" MSP mid-bass driver for high quality audio performance. It makes the perfect companion for small to medium-sized rooms.
- Precision-Coated Soft-Dome Tweeter: Dynaudio has relied on a silk soft-dome tweeter for recreating high frequencies since the company was founded, continuously improving and perfecting the soft-dome principle over the years. Dynaudio tweeter designs require a time consuming, labor-intensive manufacturing process where the fine fabric diaphragm is shaped into a dome and is then treated with a specially formulated coating. As a further refinement, the tweeter's aluminum voice-coil is suspended in a magnetic oil, which increases power handling while also improving the dome's excursion. The result is the celebrated Dynaudio tweeter, featuring a balanced and natural frequency response.
- Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP) Woofer: For bass and midrange drivers, the Dynaudio uses a proprietary composite of magnesium silicate polymer (MSP), a material that combines low mass, high rigidity, and ideal internal damping properties. This exclusive driver membrane is an immediately visible and characteristic feature of Dynaudio loudspeakers. Formed in a special manufacturing process, this membrane is a unique design with the distinctive, geometrically optimized form of the cone further enabling smooth sound dispersion.
Note: The surround of the tweeter is inversed to improve dispersion. This leaves nowhere for the lead wires to go behind the tweeter, so the lead wires are positioned above the surround.
Angle & Level Adjustment: The Studio Series in-ceiling loudspeaker incorporates an 18° angled, 360° rotatable mid-bass driver; and 3-position, adjustable tilt tweeter to enable its acoustic directivity to be optimized for the installation arrangement and acoustic character of the listening room. In addition, the high frequency tonal balance of the Studio Series speaker can be adjusted to suit different installation environments. A tweeter level switch located on the speaker's front panel offers +3 dB, 0 dB and -3 dB options. The level adjustment operates from approximately 3kHz and upwards.
Spring-Post Terminals: The Dynaudio Custom Architectural Studio Series S4-C65 is equipped with a set of spring-post terminals for connection of bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, or banana plugs (single or dual).
Mounting & Installation Options: The Dynaudio S4-C65 speaker comprises of a Speaker Unit and Installation Frame. The Installation Frame is inserted into the ceiling cut-out (8.3125"Diameter x 6.125"Depth) and is securely fixed in place using auto-locking clamps (there needs to be 1.125" of clearance around the cutout for the clamps to rotate and engage). The Speaker Unit is then connected to your speaker wire before being inserted into the Installation Frame to be held in place by a latch system. The grille securely attaches to the speaker via magnets integrated within the Installation Frame. The grille can be painted to match the color of your ceiling.
- Studio Series in-ceiling speakers are intended to be used in a portrait (vertical) orientation only.
- Drywall or plasterboard thickness must be 0.3125" (minimum) to 1.4375" (maximum).
- Preconstruction bracket (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) is available for new construction.
Magnetic Grille: The grille securely attaches to the speaker via magnets integrated within the Installation Frame. The grille can be painted to match the color of your ceiling. The speaker comes with a round grille, but you can purchase a square grille (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) if you prefer.
Applications & Placement: The Dynaudio Custom Architectural Studio Series S4-C65 can be used in a distributed audio, 2ch stereo, or 5.1ch/7.1ch/9.1ch multichannel home theater application (including Dolby Atmos installations). Follow these placement guidelines based on your application.
- Distributed Audio: If one or more Studio Series speakers are required simply to provide mono background audio, they can be located essentially as dictated by coverage, convenience and architecture. The primary acoustic constraint to consider is that corner positions are likely to result in bass emphasis.
- Stereo Audio: If a pair of Studio Series in-ceiling speakers are required for stereo audio reproduction, they should ideally be located between 10' and 16.5' apart and a similar distance from the listening area. The acoustic environment around each speaker and distance from each one to adjacent walls should ideally be similar. Aim to avoid corner positions for either speaker.
- Multichannel Audio: If Studio Series in-ceiling speakers are utilized in multichannel installations, the front (left and right) and center speakers should be located approximately 20" in front of the plane of the screen. The centre speaker should be on the center line of the screen and the front (left and right) speakers each within approximately 20" of the sides of the screen. Surround channel speakers should be located just behind and at either side of the listening position.
Note: The nature of the installation of in-ceiling and in-ceiling speakers means that it is sometimes impractical to locate them in acoustically optimal positions. Compromise is often more likely to be necessary in multichannel installations where positions have to be found for multiple speakers. In these circumstances it is preferable to favor the position of the front and center channel speakers over that of the surround channel speakers.
Custom Architectural Studio Series: Dynaudio's Custom Architectural Studio Series is designed to provide very high quality audio in custom installations where speakers are required to be fitted flush in walls and ceilings. The Studio Series benefits from four decades of Dynaudio speaker expertise - each speaker is designed, tuned, and built with care for in-wall or in-ceiling use. The Custom Architectural Studio Series consists of in-ceiling and in-wall speakers available in both 6.5" and 8" versions; all featuring 1" soft-dome tweeters. Dynaudio designed the Custom Architectural Studio Series to be easy to install and flexible enough to tailor to even the most challenging listening environments. These in-surface speakers will disappear into your walls and ceilings, while delivering exceptionally rich sound. Every Dynaudio Custom Architectural Studio Series loudspeaker is covered by Lifetime warranty.