About the Dynaudio S4-DVC65
Stereo playback from a single speaker
Stereo playback from a single speaker
Dynaudio has a repertoire of high-end, traditional "box" speakers for the home. But they also have cool "problem-solver" models too, like the in-ceiling S4-DVC65. This stereo-input speaker uses a dual-tweeter, dual-voice-coil design, so it can play both channels of a stereo signal all by itself.
It's perfect for kitchens, small bedrooms, or any other room that you want music from a single in-ceiling location.
Dynaudio's dual-tweeter design reproduces both the left and right channels of your stereo music sources with a single speaker.
Flexible drivers adapt to your room
The S4-DVC65's uses two 1-1/8" soft dome tweeters and Dynaudio's 6-1/2" MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) woofer for natural, full-range sound. These drivers are angled at 18° — and each tweeter is independently adjustable — so you can aim them wherever you want for the best sound.
You can also rotate this speaker 360° in its frame. If you rearrange your décor down the road, you can easily change the direction your speaker fires.
Ideal for music and movies
The S4-DVC65 is most commonly used as a traditional stereo-input speaker for music. You can toggle between "stereo" and "mono" modes for system-building flexibility.
There's also a rear-panel switch which lets you change it to "dipole mode" for use as a surround sound speaker. This setting puts the tweeters out of phase with each other, giving you a diffuse soundfield — perfect for immersive sound effects.
Build a complete custom-installed Dynaudio system
Mix and match Dynaudio Architectural Studio Series speakers for voice-matched sound.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included round or square magnetic grille to blend in with your décor.
Founded in 1977, Dynaudio is one of the world's premiere speaker companies. Their wide range of speakers for home, car, and pro audio applications are the result of a unique combination of innovative driver technology, state-of-the-art manufacturing, and true hand-craftsmanship. Dynaudio designs and builds all of its drivers at the company's HQ in Skanderborg, Denmark.
- stereo-input speaker plays both the left and right channels of the stereo mix
- rear-panel "dipole mode" switch for use as a surround sound speaker
- 18°-angled drivers direct sound toward your listening position
- speaker rotates 360° within its frame, allowing you to easily reposition it within your room
- dual 1-1/8" soft dome tweeters
- tweeters are aimable to direct high-frequency details towards you
- two-position tweeter level control cuts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- stereo and mono modes allow for additional system flexibility
- 6-1/2" MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) cone woofer
- frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 83.5 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms nominal (each input)
- recommended amplifier power: 50 watts each channel
- unobtrusive frame and low-profile grille for discreet installation
- uniquely designed baffle latches offer quick and simple tool-free mounting
- includes round and square paintable magnetic steel grilles
- cutout diameter: 8-1/4"
- mounting depth: 6-5/8"
- warranty: limited lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 78000414
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- Paint mask
- Scrim cloth
- Cutout template
- Dynaudio logo
- Installation Manual
- Disclaimer note
More details on the Dynaudio S4-DVC65
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Composition||Magnesium Solicate Polymer|
|Power Range (Watts)||50|
|Bi-Amp Inputs||Stereo input|
In-Ceiling Dual Voice-Coil Loudspeaker: The S4-DVC65 in-ceiling speaker incorporates twin 1" precision-coated soft-dome tweeters and one dual voice-coil 6.5" MSP mid-bass driver that enable it to reproduce both channels of stereo program material. The twin tweeters of the S4-DVC65 can also be switched to opposite polarity to enable its use as a dipole mode surround speaker in multichannel home theater installations. When used in dipole mode the S4-DVC65 should be connected to only one amplifier channel.
- Precision-Coated Soft-Dome Tweeter: Dynaudio has relied on a silk soft-dome tweeter for recreating high frequencies since the company was founded, continuously improving and perfecting the soft-dome principle over the years. Dynaudio tweeter designs require a time consuming, labor-intensive manufacturing process where the fine fabric diaphragm is shaped into a dome and is then treated with a specially formulated coating. As a further refinement, the tweeter's aluminum voice-coil is suspended in a magnetic oil, which increases power handling while also improving the dome's excursion. The result is the celebrated Dynaudio tweeter, featuring a balanced and natural frequency response.
- Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP) Woofer: For bass and midrange drivers, the Dynaudio uses a proprietary composite of magnesium silicate polymer (MSP), a material that combines low mass, high rigidity, and ideal internal damping properties. This exclusive driver membrane is an immediately visible and characteristic feature of Dynaudio loudspeakers. Formed in a special manufacturing process, this membrane is a unique design with the distinctive, geometrically optimized form of the cone further enabling smooth sound dispersion.
Note: The surround of the tweeter is inversed to improve dispersion. This leaves nowhere for the lead wires to go behind the tweeter, so the lead wires are positioned above the surround.
Angle & Level Adjustment: The Studio Series in-ceiling loudspeaker incorporates an 18° angled, 360° rotatable mid-bass driver; and 3-position, dual adjustable tilt tweeters to enable its acoustic directivity to be optimized for the installation arrangement and acoustic character of the listening room. In addition, the high frequency tonal balance of the Studio Series speaker can be adjusted to suit different installation environments. A tweeter level switch located on the speaker's front panel offers 0 dB and -3 dB options. The level adjustment operates from approximately 3kHz and upwards.
Spring-Post Terminals: The Dynaudio Custom Architectural Studio Series S4-DVC65 is equipped with two sets of spring-post terminals for connection of your receiver's or integrated amplifier's left and right channel outputs. The spring-post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, or banana plugs (single or dual).
Mounting & Installation Options: The Dynaudio S4-DVC65 speaker comprises of a Speaker Unit and Installation Frame. The Installation Frame is inserted into the ceiling cut-out (8.3125"Diameter x 6.625"Depth) and is securely fixed in place using auto-locking clamps (there needs to be 1.125" of clearance around the cutout for the clamps to rotate and engage). The Speaker Unit is then connected to your speaker wire before being inserted into the Installation Frame to be held in place by a latch system.
- Studio Series in-ceiling speakers are intended to be used in a portrait (vertical) orientation only.
- Drywall or plasterboard thickness must be 0.3125" (minimum) to 1.875" (maximum).
- Preconstruction bracket (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) is available for new construction.
Magnetic Grille: The grille securely attaches to the speaker via magnets integrated within the Installation Frame. The grille can be painted to match the color of your ceiling. The speaker comes with a round grille, but you can purchase a square grille (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) if you prefer.
Applications & Placement: The Dynaudio Custom Architectural Studio Series S4-DVC65 can be used in a distributed audio, 2ch stereo, or 5.1ch/7.1ch/9.1ch multichannel home theater application (including Dolby Atmos installations). Follow these placement guidelines based on your application.
- Distributed Audio: The S4-DVC65 in-ceiling speaker is particularly suited to background sound applications as it can play stereo audio from a single unit. If one or more Studio Series speakers are required simply to provide mono background audio, they can be located essentially as dictated by coverage, convenience and architecture. The primary acoustic constraint to consider is that corner positions are likely to result in bass emphasis.
- Stereo Audio: The S4-DVC65 in-ceiling speaker can be used to reproduce stereo audio thanks to its twin tweeter and dual voice-coil format. If a pair of Studio Series in-ceiling speakers are required for stereo audio reproduction, they should ideally be located between 10' and 16.5' apart and a similar distance from the listening area. The acoustic environment around each speaker and distance from each one to adjacent walls should ideally be similar. Aim to avoid corner positions for either speaker.
- Multichannel Audio (Dipole Mode): The S4-DVC65 in-ceiling speaker can be used in Dipole mode for surround channel applications. In Dipole mode the twin tweeters of the S4-DVC65 are connected in opposite polarity so that a high frequency acoustic null is generated on the unit's centrally forward axis. The S4-DVC65 units used in Dipole mode should have their mid-bass driver rotated and the tweeter angle adjusted so that they are orientated towards the listening position. Surround channel speakers should be located just behind and at either side of the listening position.
Note: The nature of the installation of in-ceiling and in-ceiling speakers means that it is sometimes impractical to locate them in acoustically optimal positions. Compromise is often more likely to be necessary in multichannel installations where positions have to be found for multiple speakers. In these circumstances it is preferable to favor the position of the front and center channel speakers over that of the surround channel speakers.
Custom Architectural Studio Series: Dynaudio's Custom Architectural Studio Series is designed to provide very high quality audio in custom installations where speakers are required to be fitted flush in walls and ceilings. The Studio Series benefits from four decades of Dynaudio speaker expertise - each speaker is designed, tuned, and built with care for in-wall or in-ceiling use. The Custom Architectural Studio Series consists of in-ceiling and in-wall speakers available in both 6.5" and 8" versions; all featuring 1" soft-dome tweeters. Dynaudio designed the Custom Architectural Studio Series to be easy to install and flexible enough to tailor to even the most challenging listening environments. These in-surface speakers will disappear into your walls and ceilings, while delivering exceptionally rich sound. Every Dynaudio Custom Architectural Studio Series loudspeaker is covered by Lifetime warranty.