Dynaudio Special Forty
Stand-mount speakers (Grey Birch)
Our take on the Dynaudio Special Forty by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
40 years of speaker excellence
Dynaudio is celebrating their 40th anniversary by paying homage to their music-loving roots. Their Special Forty stand-mount speakers reflect the company's passion for exceptionally natural, revealing sound by combining four decades of design expertise with impeccable craftsmanship. Like all of Dynaudio's top-shelf speakers, the Special Forties are proudly built and rigorously tested in Skanderborg, Denmark.
The Special Forties sport a real-wood birch veneer (shown individually with the magnetic grille removed).
Tried-and-true woofer design
The Special Forties use Dynaudio's famed Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP) cone material in each speaker's 6-11/16" woofer. This design is both lightweight and ultra-stiff — an ideal combination for fast, controlled movement.
Each MSP cone is molded in one geometrically perfect piece, which helps to optimize sound dispersion. It also eliminates the need for a separate dust cap, further enhancing the cone's structural integrity.
The Special Forties are ported to reinforce low-frequency output. A pair of included foam plugs can be inserted into the ports to optimize bass response when placing the speakers near a wall.
Ultra-smooth highs that fill the room
One thing I've come to expect from Dynaudio's high-end speakers is wall-to-wall sound with a huge soundstage and lifelike musical imaging. A big part of this can be attributed to their ultra-smooth tweeters.
The Special Forties use a variation of the company's specially coated, 1-1/8" soft dome tweeter called the Esotar Forty. This new twist on a classic design allows for effortlessly detailed, neutral, and non-fatiguing sound— even when you crank up the volume.
Are these speakers right for you?
The Special Forties can deliver truly incredible sound — in the right setup. That means you'll need high-current amplification; 100-200 watts of power from a quality power amp or integrated amplifier.
Proper speaker placement is also crucial to getting the best performance out of the Special Forties. As these are considered "stand-mount" speakers (and not bookshelf speakers), placing them on a pair of heavy-duty stands helps eliminate unwanted vibrations and reflections. Speaker stands also allow you to properly position the speakers within your room to create a listening "sweet spot." Read my article on stereo speaker placement for positioning and set-up tips.
If you'd like personalized advice on matching these speakers with an amp, give one of our advisors a shout for a free expert recommendation.
Add a sub for better bass
If you love hard-hitting thump with your music, consider adding a powered sub to complement the Special Forties. This doesn't mean you need to blast your room with bass, but it does give you that extra bit of low-frequency impact that helps re-create the live show experience. My powered subwoofer buying guide has tips on choosing the right one for your room and taste in bass.
Product Highlights (each):
- special edition 40th anniversary stand-mount speakers
- 1-1/8" Esotar Forty soft dome tweeter
- 6-11/16" MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) cone woofer
- sophisticated hybrid magnet system for low distortion and high-power output
- frequency response: 41-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
- maximum amplifier power: 200 watts
- high-current amplification required; contact a Crutchfield advisor for free personalized advice on choosing the right amp for your speakers
- impedance: 6 ohms
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- advanced crossover for ultra-smooth signal distribution
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet with rear-firing port
- includes a foam port plug for adjusting the speaker's low-frequency performance
- extensive internal bracing to reduce resonance
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals
- removable magnetic grille
- 7-13/16"W x 14-1/4"H x 12-3/4"D (with feet and grille)
- weight: 17.9 lbs.
- designed, engineered, and assembled in Denmark
- warranty: 5 years (8 years with registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.125|
|Midrange Size (inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.687|
|Woofer Composition||Magnesium Silicate Polymer|
|Frequency Response||41-23k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||---|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|