About the Dual CS 429
Solidly built turntable with convenient features
Solidly built turntable with convenient features
The CS 429 offers Dual's trademark precision design and solid build quality. This German-engineered turntable features a solid MDF plinth, heavy die-cast aluminum platter, and stabilizing feet that reduce unwanted resonance — so you hear only what's on the record. It plays 33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm records, and a switchable built-in phono preamp lets you connect to a standard RCA input on your receiver, amp, or powered speakers.
The included Ortofon 2M Red cartridge is a real gem — the audiophile-quality 2M line is renowned for balanced performance and sonic accuracy. Fully automatic operation means that the motor stops, and the tonearm automatically lifts and returns to rest at the end of a record. Many audiophiles prefer not to use this feature, so here's the good news: there's a switch on the back of the 'table that lets you revert to fully manual operation if that's your bag.
My hands-on experience with the Dual CS 429
As vinyl experiences a resurgence, we've seen a lot of vintage brands return to prominence. Dual is one of those names we've welcomed back with open arms. When the Dual CS 429 'table arrived at Crutchfield, I got a chance to demo it at home, and it was a delightful experience.
I've been using a manual turntable for years, but I have to admit, my needle-placement skills are deteriorating a bit as I get older. I like that this player's automatic function will place the tonearm at the start of a side with exact precison. Then, I can cook, write articles for Crutchfield's website, or even wander off to walk the dog on a moment's notice, secure in the knowledge that the tonearm will return to rest, and the motor will shut off on its own, even if I'm engrossed in another task.
With a nice Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet cartridge included, it sounds great, too. Dual has a well-earned reputation for producing 'tables that stand the test of time, and this latest offering has that same solid feel.
About Dual turntables
Dual is a legendary name in consumer electronics. The company started in Germany in 1907, and they introduced their signature "dual-motor" for powering gramophones in 1927. The dual-motor was so popular, it just made sense to call the company Dual from then on. They've been through some changes in the century-plus since the company was founded, but they're still headquartered in Germany, and they've continued to build on their reputation as a first-rate turntable manufacturer.
- Featured in our article: Best turntables for 2023
- straight aluminum tonearm with adjustable tracking force and anti-skating
- Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet cartridge included
- automatic start, stop, and tonearm return (defeatable)
- switchable built-in phono preamplifier
- when switch is set to LINE, turntable must be connected to a standard line input (labeled AUX, CD, or TAPE)
- when switch is set to PHONO, turntable must be connected to an outboard phono preamp or dedicated phono input
- die-cast aluminum platter with resonance-damping rubber mat
- solid MDF plinth construction dampens vibration for quieter performance
- stabilizing feet with integrated elastomer vibration absorber
- low-vibration DC motor
- rotary speed selector (33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm)
- stereo RCA audio output (cable included)
- removable plastic dust cover
- wow and flutter: 0.08%
- channel separation (with included cartridge): 22dB (at 1kHz)
- frequency response (with included cartridge): 20-22,000 Hz
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-1/8"W x 5-3/4"H x 15-5/16"D (dust cover down)
- weight: 13.66 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years turntable, 1 year cartridge
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AAV-CS429BK
What's in the box:
- Turntable (belt and tonearm pre-installed)
- Headshell with cartridge/stylus assembly
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord
- 3 AC plug adapter (US/UK/EU)
- 45RPM adapter
- 40" Stereo RCA cable (attached ground wire)
- Dust cover
- 2 Hinges
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
Dual CS 429 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Dual CS 429
Features & specs
|Speeds||33-1/3, 45, 78|
|45 RPM Adapter||Yes|
|Power Cable||Detachable (12-volt DC adapter)|
|Materials and Construction|
|Tone Arm Shape||Straight|
|Tone Arm Material||Aluminum|
|Tone Arm Lift||Auto/Button|
|Included Cartridge||Ortofon 2M Red|
|Tracking Weight||1.8 g (18mN)|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not given|
|Wow and Flutter||0.08|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Turntable Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Turntable Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Cartridge Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Cartridge Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Precise Optical Speed Control: The Dual CS 429 is a fully-automatic, belt-driven turntable that features precise optical speed control and a precision cut belt with a lower wow & flutter (+/-0.08%) for excellent sound reproduction. It also employs a low vibration DC-Servo-Motor with rubber mounting for vibration decoupling. You can choose from 33-1/3, 45 (adapter included), or 78 (requires different cartridge/stylus) RPM speeds.
Note: The drive belt comes fitted around the turntable flange and must be pulled over the drive motor pulley.
Solid MDF Plinth with Elastomer Feet: The Dual CS 429 turntable features a solid MDF plinth with folded MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) construction that is covered in a black vinyl veneer. The solid MDF plinth sits on four elastomer vibration absorber feet to prevent unwanted vibration that could lead to distortion. This very quiet platform provides excellent sound performance with low distortion.
Aluminum Die-Cast Platter with Rubber Mat: The CS 429 turntable uses a precise 12" (305mm) aluminum die-cast platter with a heavy 2.5mm thick rubber mat for resonance damping. The platter spins on a solid platter-bearing with a hardened steel spindle in a brass bushing.
Statically Balance Tonearm: The Dual CS 429 is fitted with a straight, statically balanced tonearm that features solid aluminum construction with ball-bearings for excellent tracking. Internal rubber damping construction decouples the tonearm from external vibrations.
- Fully Automatic: The fully automatic function of the CS 429 provides maximum ease of use. The tonearm automatically lifts, shifts across and drops with the push of a button. Simply place the vinyl record on the platter and push the start button. The tonearm will return to the tonearm rest automatically at the end of the record and the motor will switch off. Operation can also be stopped by pressing the "STOP" button.
- Fully Adjustable: The tonearm is also fully adjustable. This provides the option to change the pickup in the future and to alter the tracking-force and anti-skating accordingly.
Note: The tonearm can also be used in manual operation.
Ortofon 2M Red MM Cartridge: The CS 429 comes with a Ortofon 2M Red MM cartridge featuring a bonded Elliptical diamond stylus. The 2M Red is an "all-purpose" MM cartridge known for its open, dynamic sound. The 2M Red cartridge features Ortofon's trademark split pole pins; an invention which enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response. It also incorporates an improved engine to provide optimized sound reproduction and a high level of sonic accuracy.
Note: The Ortofon 2M Red MM cartridge/stylus headshell assembly does not come pre-installed and must be installed on the tonearm prior to operation.
Built-in Phono Preamp: The CS 429 turntable features a built-in phono preamplifier that can be turned On or Off, so it can be connected to either a Phono MM input or Line-Level input on your AV receiver, stereo receiver, or integrated amplifier.
Stereo RCA Output: The Dual CS 429 is outfitted with a set of stereo RCA outputs and comes with a detachable 40" stereo RCA cable to connect the turntable to your AV receiver, stereo receiver, or integrated amplifier.
Dust Cover: A hinged clear plastic cover helps protect the Dual CS 429 turntable from dust and debris. The dust cover can also be removed.
- Dimensions with Dust Cover Closed: 17.125" (w) x 5.75" (h) x 15.3125" (d)
- Dimension with Dust Cover Open: 17.125" (w) x 15.6875" (h) x 16.4375" (d)
AC Power Adapter: The Dual CS 429 comes with an AC power adapter with an attached 58" cord that will need to be plugged into the back of the turntable and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
4 questions already asked
I have owned many high end turntables. This is the nicest sounding table I have ever owned. Low noise no vibration just a total problem solver if you are struggling with noise and hum from feedback.
David from Willis, MI