About the Dual CS 618Q
A well-built turntable...
A well-built turntable...
The Dual CS 618Q strikes a nice balance between high performance and crowd-pleasing convenience. It's built around a quartz-stabilized brushless direct-drive motor that offers reliable speed stability and very low vibration. It features a solid MDF plinth, heavy die-cast aluminum platter, and stabilizing feet that reduce unwanted resonance, so you hear only the music. An ingenious twin-gimbal design with pivot ball-bearings allows the lightweight aluminum tonearm to read a record groove with extreme precision.
...with very convenient features
The included Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge is a real gem — the audiophile-quality 2M line is renowned for balanced performance and sonic accuracy. The 'table plays 33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm records, and a switchable built-in phono preamp lets you connect to a standard RCA input on your receiver, amp, or powered speakers.
I love the semi-automatic function, which stops the motor and lifts the tonearm automatically at the end of a record. Now, I'm aware that many audiophiles don't like this feature, so here's the good news: there's a switch on the back of the 'table that lets you defeat it if you prefer to operate your turntable manually.
About Dual turntables
Dual is a legendary name in consumer electronics. The company started in Germany in 1907, and they introduced their signature "dual-motor" for powering gramophones in 1927. The dual-motor was so popular, it just made sense to call the company Dual from then on. They've been through some changes in the century-plus since the company was founded, but they're still headquartered in Germany, and they've continued to build on their reputation as a first-rate turntable manufacturer.
- quartz-stabilized brushless direct-drive motor for reduced vibration and greater speed stability
- straight aluminum tonearm with precision pivot ball-bearing and twin-gimbal design
- Ortofon 2M Blue moving magnet cartridge included
- adjustable tracking force and anti-skating
- automatic stop and tonearm lift (defeatable)
- tonearm must be returned to rest manually
- switchable built-in phono preamplifier
- when switch is set to LINE, turntable must be connected to a standard line input (labeled AUX, CD, or TAPE)
- when switch is set to PHONO, turntable must be connected to an outboard phono preamp or dedicated phono input
- die-cast aluminum platter with vibration-damping rubber mat
- solid MDF plinth construction dampens vibration for quieter performance
- stabilizing feet with integrated elastomer vibration absorber
- rotary speed selector (33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm)
- stereo RCA audio output (cable included)
- removable plastic dust cover
- wow and flutter: 0.07%
- channel separation (with included cartridge): 25dB (at 1kHz)
- frequency response (with included cartridge): 20-20,000 Hz
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-1/8"W x 5-3/4"H x 15-9/16"D (dust cover down)
- weight: 15.43 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (1 year cartridge)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AAV-CS618BKHG
What's in the box:
- Turntable (tonearm pre-installed)
- Headshell with cartridge/stylus assembly
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord
- 3 AC plug adapter (US/UK/EU)
- 45RPM adapter
- 40" Stereo RCA cable (attached ground wire)
- Dust cover
- 2 Hinges
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
Dual CS 618Q reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Dual CS 618Q
Features & specs
|Speeds||33-1/3, 45, 78|
|45 RPM Adapter||Yes|
|Power Cable||Detachable (12-volt DC adapter)|
|Materials and Construction|
|Tone Arm Shape||Straight|
|Tone Arm Material||Aluminum|
|Tone Arm Lift||Finger, Lever|
|Included Cartridge||Ortofon 2M Blue|
|Tracking Weight||1.8 g (18mN)|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not given|
|Wow and Flutter||0.07|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Turntable Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Turntable Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Cartridge Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Cartridge Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Direct Drive Turntable: The Dual CS 618Q employs a quartz-stabilized, precision direct-drive motor for optimal sound performance. The rumble free direct-drive in the CS 618Q keeps the RPM totally stable, while operating without noise or vibration. There is no vibration through its coreless inductors and stray magnetic fields are eliminated by its double-shielded rotor magnets, resulting in precision playback.
- Electronic 3-Speed: An electronic speed selector switch lets you easily switch between three different RPM speeds - 33-1/3, 45 (adapter included), or 78 (requires different cartridge/stylus).
- Semi-Automatic: The turntables offers semi-automatic operation with with an auto-stop feature that includes an automatic tonearm lift to reduce wear and tear on the needle as it moves to the end of the record. The tonearm only lifts; you will need to manually move the tonearm back to the tonearm rest. The record will stop spinning within 10 turns of recognize the final locked groove of the record. You can turn the auto-stop feature offer, if you prefer to fully operate the turntable manually.
Note: The turntable only has an auto-stop feature; it does not offer auto-play. Once you have selected the RPM speed and manually placed the tonearm onto the record, the platter will start turning for playback.
Solid MDF Plinth with Elastomer Feet: The Dual CS 618Q turntable features a solid MDF plinth with folded MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) construction that is covered in a black vinyl veneer. The solid MDF plinth sits on four elastomer vibration absorber feet to prevent unwanted vibration that could lead to distortion.
Note: The Dual CS 618Q is available in a matte black vinyl, gloss black paint, or walnut veneer finish.
Aluminum Die-Cast Platter with Rubber Mat: The CS 618Q turntable uses a heavy 12" (305mm) aluminum die-cast platter with a heavy 2.5mm thick rubber mat for resonance damping. The platter spins on a hardened steel spindle that is integrated into the turntable's direct-drive.
Twin-Gimbal Tonearm Design: The Dual CS 618Q is equipped with a twin gimbal tonearm design using straight, statically balanced aluminum tonearm with pivot ball-bearings for optimal precision. This advanced tonearm design has the ability to guide even high end pickups with the greatest degree of precision and reliability. The tonearm also features an adjustable tracking force and anti-skating adjustment.
Ortofon 2M Blue MM Cartridge: The Dual CS 618Q turntable comes with an Ortofon 2M Blue MM (moving magnet) cartridge with an improved engine for optimized sound reproductions and high level of sonic accuracy. The 2M Blue cartridge features Ortofon's trademark split-pole pins, an invention which enables the moving magnet cartridge to have a flat frequency response. It is outfitted with a Nude Elliptical polished diamond stylus that offers excellent dynamics and high resolution for a sound sound that is natural and open. The Nude Elliptical diamond stylus is mounted directly onto the cartridge's cantilever, rather than being mounted on a metal shank which is affixed to the cantilever; resulting in reduced tip mass for a quicker response to rapid changes in groove modulation - improving depiction of strong transients.
Note: The Ortofon 2M Blue MM cartridge/stylus headshell assembly does not come pre-installed and must be installed on the tonearm prior to operation.
Built-in Phono Preamp: The CS 618Q turntable features a built-in phono preamplifier that can be turned On or Off, so it can be connected to either a Phono MM input or Line-Level input on your AV receiver, stereo receiver, or integrated amplifier.
Stereo RCA Output: The Dual CS 618Q is outfitted with a set of stereo RCA outputs and comes with a detachable 40" stereo RCA cable to cut the turntable to your AV receiver, stereo receiver, or integrated amplifier.
Dust Cover: A hinged clear plastic cover helps protect the Dual CS 618Q turntable from dust and debris. The dust cover can also be removed.
- Dimensions with Dust Cover Closed: 17.125" (w) x 5.75" (h) x 15.5625" (d)
- Dimension with Dust Cover Open: 17.125" (w) x 15.75" (h) x 16.4375" (d)
AC Power Adapter: The Dual CS 618Q comes with an AC power adapter with an attached 58" cord that will need to be plugged into the back of the turntable and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).