About the HiFi Rose RA180
Bold amplifier design and impeccable performance
Bold amplifier design and impeccable performance
The RA180 has a unique design and four channels of exquisite amplification (shown with the RS150B network streamer and iPad®, both sold separately)
Just one look at HiFi Rose's RA180 shows you it's an out-of-the-ordinary integrated amplifier. Closer inspection reveals its relatively old-school approach, though. It's not a streamer or a DAC — its only Wi-Fi feature is connection to its user-friendly control app.
It's got four bridgeable channels of impeccable power for your speakers and balanced and unbalanced analog inputs, including a phono input. And it's got powerful features that let you tailor your sound with precision.
Beautiful form and function
The RA180's look is a little bit "steampunk," and 100% audiophile. Its illuminated analog level meters have partially open faces beneath the crystal that let you see the electromagnets that control the needle. The distinctive volume knob turns five aluminum gears when you adjust the level.
You can make virtually any adjustment using the tactile front-panel controls — switch between sources, adjust bass, treble, and balance, and plenty more. When you control the amp with the included remote or the Rose AMP Connect app for Apple® and Android™ devices, the physical dials on the amp actually move. That just looks and feels cool.
And you can bypass front-panel controls in discrete sections using the dedicated switches, or all at once using the pure direct switch.
Flexible analog connections
This amp has unbalanced and balanced analog inputs, including a home-theater bypass and a highly tweakable phono input. You can use either a moving coil or moving magnet cartridge and dial it with the front-panel phono preamp controls in to get the best sound.
The RA180's connections are all analog, but you can get amazing sound from digital sources that have a built-in DAC — like its perfect match, the HiFi Rose RS150B network streamer.
Advanced hybrid amplification
The RA180 features four separate amplifier channels, all using an innovative circuit design that HiFi Rose calls "Class AD." Like more typical Class D amps, it uses a "switching" design. But the RA180's GaN (Gallium nitride) FET topology sweetens the sometimes clinical sound of Class D amplification by speeding up the timing between switches — up to 10 times faster than typical silicon FET switching devices.
The super-versatile RA180's back panel features balanced and unbalanced inputs and bi-amp outputs for A and B speaker pairs.
Versatile bi-amp outputs for two pairs of speakers
You'll notice that the RA180 has eight pairs of speaker terminals on its back panel. Its unique configuration lets you bi-amp compatible speakers, powering the tweeters and low-frequency drivers with dedicated built-in amp channels. You can even experiment with the front-panel crossover controls if you're bypassing your speakers' internal crossovers.
You can hook up two pairs of speakers and select between them using the front-panel control. Or you can throw the back-panel switch to run the amp in stereo bridged (BTL) mode and get 400 watts per channel into a single pair of speakers.
- integrated four-channel amplifier with bi-amp speaker outputs
- Class AD amplification uses super-efficient GaN (Gallium nitrate) FET output switching for smooth, accurate sound
- 200 watts x 4 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 into 8 ohms at 0.005% THD)
- 200 watts x 4 into 4 ohms
- 400 watts x 2 in bridged (BTL) mode
- frequency response: 20-50,000 Hz (or 20-100,000 Hz @ -3dB)
- signal-to-noise ratios:
- 108dB (balanced)
- 106dB (unbalanced)
- 79dB (MM phono)
- geared rotary volume display window
- source input selector
- treble, bass, and balance controls
- phono preamp with low-mid bass turnover and high-frequency roll off controls
- active crossover with frequency and gain controls
- pure direct switch bypasses all preamp controls
- speaker output selector
- subsonic filter switch for cutting out turntable rumble
- attenuator switch for greater control at low volume
- illuminated analog level meters
- 3-level dimmer for front-panel illumination
- balanced stereo XLR input
- four unbalanced stereo RCA inputs, including phono input with ground and MC/MM switch
- home theater bypass on input 3
- mono RCA output for connecting a powered subwoofer
- speaker outputs for two pairs of speakers (A and B)
- two pairs of binding posts for each allow bi-amping
- 3.5mm 12V trigger input and IR input
- service (SVC) only port
- detachable AC power cord
- rear-panel internal circuit breaker reset button
- 16-15/16"W x 5-1/8"H x 17-7/16"D
- weight 36.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RA180 SLV
What's in the box:
HiFi Rose RA180 owner's manual
- Integrated amplifier
- AC power cord
- Remote control
- External IR receiver
- Simple Manual
HiFi Rose RA180 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the HiFi Rose RA180
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||200|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||200|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||107|
|DAC Bit Depth||N/A|
|DAC Sample Rate||N/A|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||4|
|Optical Digital Inputs||No|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||No|
|Home Theater Bypass||Fixed|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Class AD Amplifier Technology: The HiFi Rose RA180 employs a state-of-the-art Class AD Amplifier which combines the benefits of Class A, Class AB, and Class D amplifier technologies without any of the limitations. The Class AD Amplifier uses a new GaN FET material instead of the commonly used Silicon FET to solve the limitations of previous amplifier designs. Power damping and dead times were reduced to 1/10 or less, dramatically improving linearity to create a near-perfect sound that exceeds the boundaries between digital and analog amplifier technologies. As a result, all you'll hear is a smooth and natural sound from your music.
Multi Output Component: The HiFi Rose RA180 consist of 4 mono amplifiers into 2 amplifier modules- one Amp module is specifically for stable midbass and balance, and the other amplifier module is specialized for smooth high-pitched and super tweeter areas. Each Amp module supports 200 watts (8-ohm) and can output up to 400 watts per channel. When two independent modules are connected to a speaker's high and low frequencies separately, the driving force can be greatly improved. The RA180's BTL mode combines these two independent Amp modules for a richer and more balanced sound.
- Normal Operating Mode Power Rating: 200 watts x 4 channel (8 ohm or 4 ohm)
- BTL (Bridge-Tied Load) Mode Power Rating: 400 watts x 2 channel (8 ohm)
Hi-Res Wide Frequency Response: The HiFi Rose integrated amplifier is designed with a wide frequency response range so it can produce even high-resolution sound sources with an output range of 20Hz to 50kHz (or 100kHz @ -3dB / 200kHz @ -6dB). Although these high frequencies responses are outside of a person's hearing range, it faithfully reproduces these wide frequency ranges for deeper and wider soundfield.
Balanced Power Supply: The balanced power supply that has been exclusively developed for the RA180 integrated amplifier applies 4th generation SiC FET technology to provide high output with less heat. In addition by using a self-developed PFC (power factor circuit), it is designed not to be affected by sudden load fluctuations. The power supply device was developed to support a power damping factor of at least 150 and high output for the production of powerful bass and soft treble.
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Line-Level Inputs: The HiFi Rose RA180 has both balanced & unbalanced analog line-level inputs. There are three unbalanced stereo RCA line-level analog inputs and one balanced stereo XLR line-level analog input. Balanced XLR connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
Bypass-Power Amplifier Mode: When the Bypass-Power Amplifier Mode switch on the front-panel of the integrated amplifier is turned on, the input source of Line 3 is connected to the RA180's power amplifier without going through the preamplifier. Once this feature is activated, the input signal of Line 3 bypasses the unit's preamplifier stages (such as balance, tone control, active crossover, and volume) and the RA180 operates as a power amplifier.
Phono Amplifier with Variable EQ: The HiFi Rose RA180 features a Phono MM/MC input for connection and playback of a turntable with a MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil) cartridge. The built-in phono amplifier amplifies the very weak signal picked up by the cartridge and keeps it as close as possible to the original sound. The variable EQ is designed to respond to a variety of vinyl records with low-mid bass Turnover and high-frequency Roll Off adjustment functions.
- MM/MC Switch: A cartridge switch on the back of the integrated amplifier lets you indicate whether you are using a high output voltage MM (moving magnet) cartridge or a low output MC (moving coil) cartridge. In Phono MM mode, the input sensitivity is 5 mV. In Phono MC mode, the input sensitivity is 0.5 mV.
- Phono EQ: The Phono EQ offers Turnover and Roll-Off adjustment. The Turnover adjustment can be set to 400Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 700Hz, or Flat. The Roll-Off adjustment can be set to 1.6kHz, 2.1kHz, 3.18kHz, 3.4kHz, or 6.36kHz.
- Subsonic Filter: The Subsonic Filter cuts off ultra-low frequencies under 50Hz to prevent extra-low frequencies from negatively affecting the speaker when the switch is on. This function is especially effective when the record on the turntable around the speaker vibrates or the woofer shakes due to the ultra-low frequency vibration of the speaker.
A & B Binding Post Speaker Output Terminals: The HiFi Rose RA180 is equipped with A & B speaker outputs that consist of gold-plated binding post terminals for excellent signal transfer and resistance to corrosion. Each set of A & B speakers outputs feature a Full-Range and High-Frequency outputs to bi-amplify your loudspeaker's upper and lower frequency drivers. he binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG, pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only).
- Off (Normal Mode): Both A & B speakers outputs are composed of four channels (Full-Range & High Frequency) in a stereo method with each channel outputting a maximum of 200 watts. When you want to output to A or B speakers, you can change the speaker output selection switch on the front of the integrated amp and listen to it with the desired set of speakers.
- Bi-Amp/BTL Mode: In Bi-Amp/BTL mode, the A speaker outputs consist of four channels (Full-Range & High Frequency) in a stereo method and output up to 200 watts for each channel. The B speaker outputs will consist of two channels (Full Range only) in Bi-Amp/BTL mode and output up to 400 watts for each channel. Use the speaker selector switch on the front-panel of the integrated amp to switch between the A & B speaker outputs. If you set the speaker output selection switch on the front to A, you can output the speakers in Bi-Amp Mode. If you set the speaker output selection switch on the front to B, you can output the speakers in BTL Mode.
- BTL Mode: BTL mode consists of two channels (Full Range only) and outputs up to 400 watts to each channel. When you want to output to A or B speakers, you can change the speaker output selection switch on the front of the integrated amp and listen to the desired speaker.
Note: You can select to play A or B speakers (no simultaneous output); speakers A and B cannot be used at the same time.
Mono-RCA Subwoofer Output: The HiFi Rose RA180 is outfitted with a mono-RCA subwoofer output for connecting a powered subwoofer (sold separately). The subwoofer output is full-range, so your external powered subwoofer will need a built-in low pass crossover.
Tone Controls: The RA180 integrated amplifier features independent Bass (100Hz) & Treble (10kHz) controls with balance adjustment. The Bass & Treble can be adjusted from -15 to +15 dB.
High Frequency Crossover: The RA180's High Frequency Crossover enables clear treble sound reproduction by specifically outputting only the high-frequency range and removing the low frequency range from the integrated amp's A &B High Frequency speaker outputs. The High Frequency Filter can be set between 600Hz to 6kHz. You can also adjust the Gain of high frequency crossover. You can choose to bypass the unit's High Frequency Crossover.
Note: The High Frequency Crossover is not available in BTL mode.
Front-Panel Controls & Display Meters: The RA180 includes a variety of front-panel controls that include Power, Source Selection, Volume/Attenuate, Bass/Treble/Balance, High Pass Crossover, Phono EQ, Subsonic Filter, Speaker Selector, and more. The integrated amp also features a front-panel Volume Level meter, as well as left and right Source Level Meters.
Remote Control: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the RA180 integrated amplifier. The remote only provides limited operation of the integrated amp. Wireless remote control functions include Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Balance, and Source Selection. You can extend the operating range of the IR remote control by connecting the supplied IR receiver cable to the integrated amplifier's 3.5mm IR input.
Rose AMP Connect App: The RA180 integrated amplifier offers built-in WiFi with support of the Rose AMP Connect App (for Apple iOS 13.0+ and Android OS 6.0+). The Rose AMP Connect App allows you to setup and operate the RA180 integrated amp from your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device.
Note: The RA180 integrated amplifier and your compatible mobile device must be connected to the same WiFi network.
12V Trigger In: A 12-volt trigger input (3.5mm) on the back of the RA180 integrated amplifier receives a 12-volt trigger signal from a connected source device (such as a DAC, CD player, turntable, preamplifier, etc.) and switches to the power-on state.
Auto Standby: When the Auto Standby function is activated, the RA180 integrated amplifier will turn off and go into standby mode when there is no audio signal and operation for a custom set amount of time.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The HiFi Rose RA180 comes with a detachable 3-prong IEC power cord that plugs into the back of the integrated amplifier and a AC power outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately).
1 question already asked