About the KLH Albany
Excellent sound and a refined finish
Excellent sound and a refined finish
Back in the day, Henry Kloss earned love and respect from audio fans for his acclaimed speaker and table radio designs. Now KLH is paying homage to those roots with a new line of bookshelf and floor-standing speakers built to play nice with today's stereo and home theater components. The Albany is one of their "sweet spot" models, combining full-sized bookshelf performance with an upscale fit and finish — all at a price that won't break the bank.
KLH Albany (shown individually in American walnut with grille removed; speakers are sold as pairs).
High-tech drivers yield natural, detailed sound
The Albanys use carefully crafted drivers to produce nuanced texture and detail. A 1" anodized aluminum tweeter produces clear, non-fatiguing highs. And a 5-1/4" woven Kevlar® woofer provides tight, tuneful bass.
This is the same driver duo found KLH's larger floor-standing speakers, making the Albany an excellent choice a part of a voice-matched home theater system.
The KLH name lives on
Henry Kloss and his partners founded KLH in Cambridge, Massachusetts back in the '50s. Kloss changed the audio industry with innovations like the acoustic suspension loudspeaker, the first-ever full-range electrostatic speaker, and the first high-selectivity table radio.
Today, KLH is headquartered in Noblesville, Indiana. The company's new speaker lineup represents a fresh take on that rich and varied KLH legacy.
Get the most out of your stand-mount speakers
I'm a proponent of using high-quality speaker stands with bookshelf speakers. They help improve the sound by giving your speakers a stable, vibration-free platform. When shopping for stands, remember that the ideal height will place the tweeters roughly level with your ears, for maximum clarity.
Speaker stands also give you more placement flexibility, since you won't be limited to a space on your shelf or table. Keeping your speakers away from the wall or the corner of a bookshelf can also prevent excessively boomy bass.
- pair of bookshelf speakers for music or home theater
- 1" anodized aluminum tweeter with linear response faceplate
- 5-1/4" woven Kevlar® woofer
- frequency response: 35-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: up to 200 watts
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sealed (acoustic suspension) cabinet
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- 5-way binding posts accept pins, single or dual banana connectors, spades, or bare wire
- includes chrome-plated steel spikes and rubber feet for stability and decoupling
- beautiful black oak veneer finish
- removable magnetic grilles with custom honeycomb design
- 6-1/2"W x 12-15/16"H x 9-7/16"D
- weight: 11 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 10 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KLHF00008
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
KLH Albany reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the KLH Albany
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Kevlar|
|Woofer Surround||Butyl Rubber|
|Power Range||up to 200|
|Frequency Response||35-23k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||10 Years|
|Labor Warranty||10 Years|
Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker: The KLH Albany is a two-way bookshelf loudspeaker featuring a high performance 1" Anodized Aluminum tweeter with a linear response faceplate and 5.25" Woven Kevlar mid/bass driver with butyl rubber surround and a powder-coated die-cast aluminum basket. There are braided tinsel leads on all drivers. A custom multi-element crossover with high grade components ensures smooth and natural transition between drivers.
Acoustic Suspension MDF Enclosure: The KLH Albany bookshelf loudspeaker uses an acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure for tight, accurate sound reproduction. The enclosure features 3/4" MDF construction with custom designed internal low resonance driver chambers and bracing optimized through finite element analysis. The enclosure also has a brushed aluminum tweeter faceplate and driver fascia. The MDF enclosure is finished in a real wood veneer (choose between a black oak or american walnut finish).
Magnetic Grille: A magnetic grille featuring a custom honeycomb design, acoustic cloth, and no visible fasteners provides a flawless appearance.
Dual Binding Post Terminals: The KLH Albany bookshelf loudspeaker has two sets nickel-plated binding posts terminals connected by jumpers (fasteners). The binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). A plastic cap must be removed from each binding post terminal to use banana plugs. Using the dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency driver; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency driver).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Applications & Placement: The KLH Albany bookshelf loudspeaker can be used in a stereo or home theater application. In a home theater application, the Albany bookshelf speaker can be used as Front and/or Surround speakers.
- Placement of the speaker is a personal preference, but it is recommended that a pair of speakers be placed at least 6' apart whether they are being used for a stereo application, or as the main left and right channels for a home theater.
- For best imaging and separation, listening distance from the speakers should be approximately 1.5x the distance the speakers are apart from each other.
- Also, be sure that the speaker is placed at least 12" away from any wall. Further adjustments can be made to optimize your listening experience.
Mounting Options: The KLH Albany loudspeaker should be placed on stands (sold separately) or on top of bookshelves, preferably at ear level with listener. The included self-adhesive rubber feet add approximately 0.25" to the over height of the speaker. There is also a 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the back of the cabinet if you want to wall mount the speaker using an optional bracket (sold separately).
2 questions already asked