About the Mobile Fidelity UltraPhono™
Phono preamp and headphone amp in one!
The Mobile Fidelity UltraPhono makes records sound great, whether you play them through speakers or headphones.
Phono preamp and headphone amp in one!
You want your records to sound great, whether you're playing them through speakers, or your favorite pair of headphones. The Mobile Fidelity UltraPhono is a customizable phono preamp and a high-quality headphone amp in one beautiful box.
On the front, you'll find a "mono" button to maximize your enjoyment of vintage records and monaural reissues. The
"subsonic" button suppresses noise below 20 Hz for cleaner sound.
Make the most of any turntable rig
If you use your UltraPhono with Mobile Fidelity's excellent StudioDeck turntable, you can use the preamp straight out of the box with no tweaking required.
On the other hand, if you have, say, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, which comes with an Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet cartridge pre-mounted, you'll want to make a few changes to your settings. Pro-Ject recommends that you set input impedance at 47k and input gain at 40dB. You'll find 12 dip switches on the underside of the preamp that allow you to make those adjustments quickly.
Then, if you upgrade your system in the future, the UltraPhono is ready to match up with your next 'table and cartridge.
Clear, detailed headphone sound
The UltraPhono has an excellent Class A headphone amplifier built in for those times when you want to listen to your favorite cuts, but you need to keep the sound to yourself.
Which headphones should I use with my turntable?
“I usually steer vinyl fans towards headphones with a warm, natural soundstage. Grado headphones are a good place to start — take a hard look at their Reference Series RS2e headphones. Hand-crafted mahogany earcups give you smooth, relaxed highs that pair nicely with vinyl.
Other options include the more budget-friendly Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones or the top-flight Sennheiser HD 800 S headphones. Both offer the well-balanced, revealing sound you want when you're playing records.”
— Jeff Miller, Crutchfield headphone guy
Need a cable?
This phono preamp does not come with an RCA cable to connect to your receiver or amp.
- compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- vibration-resistant metal casing
- 12 dip switches let you configure the preamp to match your phono cartridge
- customizable parameters:
- variable input impedance: 75-47,000 ohms
- adjustable gain: 40-66dB
- input capacitance: 100pF (picofarads)
- subsonic filter controls rumble below 20 Hz
- mono button for vintage records and monaural reissues
- stereo RCA inputs and outputs
- THD: <.006% (MM)/<.055% (MC)
- built-in high performance class A headphone amplifier
- 1.5 watts per channel
- 31-step volume control
- 2dB per step, 62dB range
- 62 ohms optimal impedance
Dimensions & Warranty:
- 3-7/8"W x 1-1/4"H x 6-5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # UltraPhono
What's in the box:
- Phono preamp/Headphone amp
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- AC plug
Mobile Fidelity UltraPhono™ reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Mobile Fidelity UltraPhono™
MoFi UltraPhono: The MoFi UltraPhono combines an audiophile-quality phono preamp (MM/MC) and Class A headphone amplifier into one compact chassis for listening to your vinyl record collection through your home stereo system or headphones.
Phono Preamp (MM/MC): The phono preamp section has been engineered to work with a wide array of Moving Magnet (MM) and Moving Coil (MC) phono cartridges. The UltraPhono is factory set to operate with most high-output moving magnet (MM) and moving coil (MC) phono cartridges. If you are using a low-output moving coil (MC) cartridge, you will need to adjust the phono preamplifier's settings for best results.
- Adjustable Gain & Loading: With selectable gain and loading,
you will be able to tailor the MoFi UltraPhono to match nearly any
moving-magnet (MM) or moving-coil (MC) cartridge on the market. A readily
accessible bank of toggle switches can be found on the unit's underside to
quickly make adjustments without the need for any tools.
- Gain: selectable gain of 40dB, 46dB, 60dB, and 66dB for MM or MC
- Load Impedance: adjustable load impedance of 75, 100, 500, 1k, 10k, or 47k ohms for MM, MM is fixed at 47k ohms
- Mono & Subsonic Filters: Two selectable toggle buttons on the top of the unit can engage a Mono or Subsonic filter mode. The Mono mode will improve image stability and generate a richer tone for mono-recorded vinyl. The Subsonic filter controls low frequencies below 20Hz preventing ultra low rumble.
Class A Headphone Amp: The UltraPhono includes a powerful Class A headphone amplifier for listening to your vinyl record collection privately through a set of headphones. The integrated headphone amp features its own 31-step volume control. Pressing the volume control knob mutes the headphone amp output. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the stereo RCA outputs.
Gold-Plated Inputs & Outputs: The UltraPhono is outfitted with gold-plated inputs and outputs for high-quality audio transmission. There is a stereo RCA input for connecting your turntable, a stereo RCA output for connecting your receiver or integrated amplifier, and a 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones.
External Power Supply: The included external power supply will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Placement: The UltraPhono will operate at its best when properly installed in a location that's free from magnetic fields like those generated by equipment with power transformers (such as an amplifier), and within a reasonable distance between your turntable and audio component(s).
1 question already asked