About the Arcam AV40
Create a true home theater experience
Create a true home theater experience
There is, I believe, a certain magic to watching a movie in your very own home theater. The Arcam AV40 can help you get there, and then some, thanks to an incredible 16 channels of surround sound processing.
Use this high-performance preamp/processor as the centerpiece of your Dolby Atmos® or DTS:X® surround sound system. You'll enjoy a spectacular show every time you take your seat.
The AV40 features balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) connections to support virtually any amplifier system you want to use.
Surround sound your way
There are a couple of main reasons to go with "separates" for your home theater system, instead of going with a traditional A/V receiver.
The first is that it allows you to upgrade your preamp without replacing your amplification at the same time. If you have an amp system that you love, there's no need to replace it just because a new audio or video format has emerged.
The second is that it allows system customization that's just not possible with most A/V receivers.
This pre/pro lets you go all-out with a 9.1.6-channel surround sound system out of the gate. (That's up to nine traditional surround sound speakers, six speakers dedicated to overhead effects, plus a powered subwoofer). Or expand your system over time, adding additional surround or overhead effects channels to taste.
The AV40 supports up to 16 independent channels of audio (that's a whole lotta sound, friend). To connect to external power amps, you have the choice of using balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA) cables.
Sound from every corner of your room
One reason the AV40 performs so well is the advancement of "object-based" surround sound formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, which place sound effects in space around you with pinpoint accuracy.
The AV40 excels at decoding and processing these object-based soundtracks. You'll hear the movie's score and special effects above, behind, in front of, and beside you — just like you would in an actual theater.
The AV40's advanced video processing ensures a vivid, highly detailed picture with movies, sporting events, and video games. Use it with confidence with your giant TV or projector-based home theater system.
An inside look at the AV40's circuitry and power supply.
Legendary room correction
The AV40 includes Dirac Live®, one of the industry's best room correction platforms. Once you download the Dirac software to your Windows® or Mac® laptop, and connect the supplied microphone, you can take precise acoustic measurements of your room.
Then Dirac creates a customized correction curve that fine-tunes the output of your speakers and subwoofers based on the unique sonic characteristics of your space.
The resulting sound is clear, smooth, and ultra-detailed, with tighter bass and more impactful dynamics than before.
- Dolby®, DTS®, and Auro-3D surround sound decoding
- supports up to a 9.1.6-channel Dolby Atmos or DTS:X setup with external power amps
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced content
- Dirac Live® room correction tailors the sound to your room's acoustics (microphone included)
- independent calibration for up to 15 speaker channels, plus a subwoofer
- Dirac Live software requires a Windows® or Mac® laptop
- ESS 9026PRO audiophile digital-to-analog converter for ultra-clear sound from stereo and surround sources
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- dual HDMI outputs for sending signal to both a TV and a projector
- zone 2 HDMI output for sending signal to another part of the house
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) supports the most advanced surround sound formats, including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, via a single HDMI connection to your TV
- passes full-resolution surround sound signals from over-the-air broadcasts and streaming media
- digital audio connections:
- 2 Toslink optical and 4 coaxial inputs
- 1 Toslink optical output
- 6 analog RCA stereo audio inputs, plus front-panel 3.5mm minijack input
- 15.1-channel balanced XLR outputs, including one for a powered subwoofer
- 15.2-channel unbalanced RCA outputs, including 2 connections for powered subs
- zone 2 stereo preamp and line-level outputs
- no phono input — to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for network connection
- RS-232, IR (infrared), and 12-volt trigger connections for use with optional 3rd party controllers
- front-panel 3.5mm mini headphone output
- detachable power cord
- free Arcam MusicLife and UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) control apps let you use your iOS® or Android™ device as a wireless remote control through Wi-Fi
- wireless music streaming through Bluetooth®, Apple AirPlay® 2, and Chromecast built-in
- built-in FM tuner
- remote control included
- 17-1/16"W x 6-3/4"H x 16-3/4"D
- weight: 23.4 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years with registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARCAV40AM
What's in the box:
- 9.2.6ch AV preamplifier/processor
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Auto calibration microphone
- 6.5' miniUSB-to-USB cable
- 2 WiFi antennas
- Bluetooth antenna
- FM wire antenna
- "Thank You" letter
- Registration Information
- "Mandatory Software Update" letter
- Software Release Notes
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Arcam AV40
AV Preamplifier/Processor: The Arcam AV40 is a high-performance audio/video preamplifier and processor that offers an impressive 16-channels of surround sound processing and features all the latest surround formats - including Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Auro-3D and IMAX Enhanced. The AV40 offers both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs to to deliver a high quality analog signal to your power amplifiers (sold separately). In combinattion with a high-quality power amplifier, the Arcam AV40 delivers an audiophile-grade listening experience with stunning realism for the ultimate home cinema experience.
- Balanced XLR Outputs: The 16 XLR outputs consists of Front Left/Front Right, Center, Surround Left/Surround Right, Surround Back Left/Surround Back Right, Height Left 1/Height Right 1, Height Left 2/Height Right 2, and Subwoofer; as well as four assignable preamp outputs. Using the balanced XLR outputs, you can configure up to a 9.1.6ch surround system. Balanced XLR connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
- Unbalanced RCA Outputs: The 17 RCA outputs consists of Front Left/Front Right, Center, Surround Left/Surround Right, Surround Back Left/Surround Back Right, Height Left 1/Height Right 1, Height Left 2/Height Right 2, and Subwoofer 1/Subwoofer 2; as well as four assignable preamp outputs. Using the unbalanced RCA outputs, you can configure up to a 9.2.6ch surround system.
Note: The Arcam AV40 is an AV preamplfier/processor and does not have a built-in amplifier. Separate amplifier or amplifiers will be required to power your loudspeakers.
9.2.6Ch Preamp Outputs: The Arcam preamplifier/processor is equipped with 9.2.6ch preamp outputs to connect external amplifier(s) to power your loudspeakers and two connect connect up to two powered subwoofers. The 9.2.6ch preamp outputs consists of Front Left/Front Right, Center, Surround Left/Surround Right, Surround Back Left/Surround Back Right, Height Left 1/Height Right 1, Height Left 2/Height Right 2, and Subwoofer 1/Subwoofer 2, as well as four assignable preamp outputs.
ESS 9026PRO Audiophile DAC: The Arcam AV40 AV preamplifier/processor utilizes a ESS 9026PRO DAC (digital-to-analog converter) that supports up to 24-bit/192kHz multichannel audio for audiophile-grade sound quality. It supports a variety of high-resolution and multichannel audio formats and codecs.
Dirac Live Room Correction: There is a proprietary automatic loudspeaker setup function, known as Dirac Live, built into the Arcam AV40. Using a computer application (for Windows & Mac), Dirac Live attempts to set all the essential speaker settings for all the speakers in your system. It also calculates room equalization (Room EQ) filter values to remove some of the worst effects of resonant frequencies in the listening room. Th AV preamplifier/processor comes with a calibration microphone which should be inserted into the microphone input of the supplied USB sound card and then into a USB socket on a Windows PC or Mac computer that connected to the same network as the Arcam AV preamplifier/processor and positioned at the main listening position. This microphone picks up the special calibration tones generated by the speakers when Dirac Live is run. The AV preamplifier/processor then analyses the signal and computes - Speaker Type, Speaker Distance, Speaker Level, and Room EQ. To download the Dirac Live for Arcam application (for Windows & Mac), please visit www.arcam.co.uk.
Note: You can also choose to manually enter Speaker Sizes, Speaker Distances, and Speaker Levels.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The Arcam AV preamplifier/processor supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (7 Inputs/3 Outputs)||High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD |
DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|Optical/Coaxial (2 Optical Inputs/4 Coaxial Inputs)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos surround sound technology dispenses with channel-based coding in favor of more advanced object-based coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds anywhere in the 3-dimensional space. Dolby Atmos creates powerful, immersive audio with sound that comes from all directions (including overhead) to fill your home cinema with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. Dolby Atmos brings to life a movie's soundtrack with sound that flows all around you in three-dimensional space to completely immerse you in the action, heightening your cinematic experience. The AV40 also allows you to upmix 2ch and Dolby Digital soundtracks with Dolby Surround, as well as create virtual height effects using Dolby Virtual Height mode.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch, or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- Dolby Virtual Height: Dolby Virtual Height provides immersive audio without height-channel or overhead speakers, creating virtual height effects in a 5.1ch, 7.1ch or even 2.1ch speaker arrangement. Dolby Virtual Height applies carefully designed "height-cue" filters to the overhead audio components of your content's soundtrack before they are mixed into your loudspeakers to create the sensation of sound above you.
DTS:X: DTS:X features object-based audio coding that lets the soundtrack designer place sonic elements anywhere in the 3D acoustic soundspace, and provides for overhead speakers to deliver a stunning surround sound experience. DTS:X places sound in a movie soundtrack where it would occur naturally in space, creating a truly lifelike, multi-dimensional audio experience. DTS:X replicates a real-world sound environment that transports you (the audience) into a new dimension of sound immersion by delivering a truly captivating home cinema experience. The AV40 also allows you to upmix 2ch and DTS soundtracks with DtS Neural:x, as well as creat virtual height effects using DTS Virtual:X mode.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X is an advanced spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. DTS Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Virtual:X: DTS Virtual:X bridges the gap between DTS:X and the reality of so many consumers' homes that cannot accommodate overhead speakers, allowing you to enjoy multi-dimensional sound regardless of room size, layout, or speaker configuration. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 7.1.4ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces).
AURO-3D Audio: The Arcam AV40 preamplifier/processor is equipped with an Auro-3D decoder. With Auro-3D, Front Height, Surround Height and Top Surround are added to a conventional 5.1-channel system to achieve a natural and realistic soundfield that is three-dimensional and fully immersive. You will be able to fully enjoy Auro-3D playback if you properly place the speakers for Auro-3D. Auro-3D does not support a Dolby Atmos configuration using Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear, or any Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers. But it is possible to support both an Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos by adding Front Height and Rear Height speakers to a 5.1 configuration. For an optimum Auro-3D experience Surround Height speakers are strongly recommended.
IMAX Enhanced Technology: Get the most premium at-home entertainment experience with IMAX Enhanced; the latest technology program from IMAX that sets a new standard for image, sound, scale and content quality. This new certification and licensing program combines IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies to offer a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences in the home. IMAX Enhanced lets you experience premium content digitally remastered by IMAX, so you can watch the highest-quality 4K movies with immersive audio delivered by DTS. Not only will IMAX Enhanced content look and sound amazing, but other audio/video content will also look and sound great too.
- Remastered 4K/HDR Video: It utilizes a sophisticated, advanced algorithm designed to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images. This advanced process accurately reduces noise and grain under the filmmaker's guidance to best optimize the content for a much higher quality, higher brightness 4K HDR display format. Select IMAX Enhanced titles that were shot with IMAX cameras or specially formatted for IMAX theaters will also include an expanded aspect ratio for the film's home release to show you more picture on your TV. IMAX Enhanced certified TVs must be at least 65" with support for HDR10 and dynamic, as well as specific calibration, resolution, color, brightness, contrast, and scale of image capabilities.
- Remastered DTS:X Audio: IMAX and DTS will also partner with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to use a special variant of its DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience that is dynamic, immersive, theatrical, and powerful. IMAX Enhanced supports both 5.1 and 11.1 formats, but the recommended speaker layout for an IMAX Enhanced system is 7.2.4 with seven horizontal speakers, two subwoofers and four height speakers; 5.1.4 is the minimum layout for IMAX Enhanced. However, due to various constraints you may opt to install only a 5.1ch speaker system. In such cases, DTS Virtual:X is required to properly render and remap audio to the available speakers.
- Available IMAX Content: IMAX is working with its global studio and other content partners to build a steady stream of IMAX Enhanced versions of movies and other programming using the newest, proprietary post-production process developed by IMAX. IMAX will be announcing and releasing IMAX Enhanced versions of a wide range of films both for 4K/HDR streaming and Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs.
- To take full advantage of IMAX Enhanced, you need an IMAX Enhanced certified 4K/HDR TV (65"-up) or Projector and an IMAX Enhanced certified DTS:X enabled AV preamplifier/processor or soundbar.
- IMAX and DTS developed the IMAX Enhanced program out of their decades of combined expertise in image and sound science to make it easier for consumers to select the products and content that will deliver the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images and powerful, immersive sound at home.
- To qualify and carry the IMAX Enhanced logo, the highest-end TVs, AV preamplifier/processors, projectors, sound bars, and must meet stringent performance standards established by IMAX, DTS and Hollywood's leading colorists in order to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AV preamplifier/processor's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the preamplifier/processor through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) will support uncomprerssed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where as the previous ARC (Audio Return Channel) was limited to only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Note: Supported content will be dependent on whether your TV features a HDMI eARC or ARC jack.
Stereo Modes: In Stereo mode, the Arcam AV40 works as a high-quality 2ch amplifier for stereo playback from the two connected front left and right loudspeakers. In Multichannel Stereo mode (5ch or 7ch), the AV40 produces an output from all speakers by copying the left output to all left speakers and the right output to all right speakers. The center speaker outputs a mix of left and right. The powered subwoofer can be enabled or disabled in Stereo or Multichannel Stereo modes.
Direct Modes: The Stereo Direct mode automatically bypasses all of the preamplifier/processor's processing and any surround functions. In Stereo Direct mode, digital processing is shut down to improve the sound quality and reduces digital noise with the preamplifier/processor to an absolute minimum. When Stereo Direct mode is selected, no digital output is available and no bass management is performed (no audio will be output from a connected powered subwoofer). CD Direct turns off the compressed audio detection mute delay and should only be used for sources that will only transmit PCM audio (such as a CD player).
Dolby Audio Settings: The Arcam AV40 AV preamplifier/processor offers the following Dolby Audio settings to manage volume and loudness levels, as well as create a phantom center channel.
- Dolby Volume & Leveler: Dolby Volume is an intelligent system that improves the perceived audio frequency response at lower listening levels and corrects for volume inconsistencies between sources. Dolby Leveler is setting within Dolby Volume that controls how closely quiet and loud sources and program content are matched to each other, based on the ear's perception of loudness. Dolby Volume can be applied to any analog or digital stereo source or any digital multichannel source. It is not available in Stereo Direct or if height speakers are connected.
- Dolby Center Spread: Dolby Center Spread controls the center image width. With Dolby Surround decoding, dominant center signals come only from the center speaker. If no center speaker is present, the decoder splits the center signal equally to the left and right speakers to create a "phantom" center image. The Center Spread control allows variable adjustment of the center image so it may be heard only from the center speaker, only from the left/right speakers as a phantom image, or from all three front speakers to varying degrees.
Level Controls: The Arcam AV40 allows you to adjust the preamplifier/processors Bass & Treble, Input Trim, Maximum Volume levels to your desired preference.
- Bass & Treble: The Arcam AV preamplifier/processor offers independent Bass & Treble tone control for all connected speakers and for each individual source input, allowing you to set up different Bass & Treble tone setting for different source content. The Bass & Treble settings range is -12 to +12 dB. There is also a Balance control to adjust the left and right balance between the front and left speakers.
- Input Trim: Input Trim allows you to set the maximum analog input signal level (sensitivity) for each analog input before the ADC (analog-to-digital converter) signal path clips. This helps maximize signal-to-noise performance of the preamplifier/processor and also helps keep the various analog sources sounding about the same level for any given preamplifier/processor volume control setting. The Input Trim can be set to 1, 2, or 4 volts.
- Maximum Volume: You can limit the maximum volume setting the system can be turned up to; this is a useful feature to prevent accidental overdriving of low power-handling speakers. It is stored in memory and recalled each time the unit is powered up (can be set independently for the Main Zone and Zone 2). You can also limit the maximum volume the system operates in when it is switched on or comes out of Standby. The system comes on at this stored volume setting if the last used volume exceeds this value. It is stored in memory and recalled each time the unit is powered up (can be set independently for the Maine Zone and Zone 2). The volume range of this preamplifier/processor is 0-99dB.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The Arcam AV40 is equipped with analog & digital audio inputs. There are four coaxial (RCA) digital inputs, two optical (toslink) digital inputs, and six stereo line-level (RCA) inputs. There is a also a front-panel 3.5mm Aux input for temporary connection of an external audio source, such as a portable MP3 player.
Note: This preamplifier/processor is not equipped with a Phono input to connect a turntable. To connect a turntable, you'll need an external phono preamp or a turntable with a built-in phono preamp. See Accessories Tab for phono preamps (sold separately).
Line Out & Digital Out: The Arcam AV40 is also equipped with a stereo line output and optical (toslink) digital output for the output of an analog or digital audio signal.
Headphone Jack: The Arcam AV40 features a front-panel 3.5mm headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones (impedance rating between 32-ohm and 600-ohm. The headphone jack is always active, except when preamplifier/processor is muted. When a set of headphones is connected to the headphone jack, the preamplifier/processor's speaker outputs and preamp outputs are automatically muted.
FM Tuner: The Arcam AV40 AV preamplifier/processor features a built-in FM tuner (there is no AM tuner) and comes with an FM wire antenna. You can store up to 50 FM station presets.
HDMI 2.0b: The Arcam AV40 is equipped with seven HDMI inputs and three HDMI outputs. All seven HDMI inputs and three HDMI outputs feature the HDMI 2.0b specification; including support for 4K/60Hz Ultra-HD video, HDCP 2.2, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All seven of the HDMI inputs and three HDMI outputs support 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second. The HDMI jacks will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i video signals via HDMI.
- HDPCP 2.2 Compliant: All of HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All HDMI inputs and outputs support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (4K 60Hz/50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): BT.2020 is supported on all HDMI inputs and outputs. The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- This preamplifier/processor does not upscale HDMI video.
- This preamplifier/processor is not equipped with analog composite or component video inputs/outputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. This preamplifier/processor supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the preamplifier/processor and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Three HDMI Outputs: The Arcam AV40 is equipped with three HDMI outputs - a Main HDMI output, sub HDMI output, and a Zone 2 HDMI output. The Main and Sub HDMI outputs are parallel and distribute the same HDMI input signal simultaneously to two separate displays. The Zone 2 HDMI output allows you to enjoy a different HDMI audio/video source in another room.
Other HDMI Features: The Arcam AV preamplifier/processor's HDMI connectivity also offers HDMI Standby Passthrough, Lip Sync function, and 3D video pass-through,.
- HDMI Standby Passthrough: When the AV40 is in standby mode (power off), the HDMI Standby Passthrough feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the preamplifier/processor to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's no need to turn on the AV preamplifier/processor in order to switch HDMI sources.
- Lyp Sync: Each input can have its own setting to add a time delay between the audio and video signals to compensate for the sound and picture not being synchronized. This is normally required when video processing is used in the system for scaling or de-interlacing video. The range of lip sync delay is 0 to 250 milliseconds.
- 3D Ready: The Arcam AV preamplifier/processor supports 3D video pass-through (1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: The Arcam AV40 supports a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection. The AV40 is equipped with an RJ-45 LAN jack for a wired connection to your network router. It also offers built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11ac) for a wireless connection to your network router. By connecting the AV preamplifier/processor to your network, you gain access to Internet Radio (vTuner), Chromecast built-in music apps, Apple AirPlay 2 for iOS devices, and UPnP audio file sharing.
Note: Make sure to connect the two included WiFi antennas when setting up a wireless network connection.
Internet Radio (vTuner): You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this preamplifier/processor, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast. You can store internet radio stations in a "Favorites" folder for easy access later.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Arcam AV40. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Arcam AV40 preamplifier/processor.
- Online Music & Internet Radio: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the Arcam AV40. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio Distribution: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers and components (sold separately) throughout your home to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Google Assistant Voice Control: Purchase a Google Assistant enabled smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The AV40 preamplifier/processor and your Google Assistant smart speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service.
- Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
- A separate Google Assistant smart speaker (sold separately) is required for voice control. You will also need to agree to Google's Privacy Statement to use voice control.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the AV preamplifier/processor and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the AV preamplifier/processor. With AirPlay 2, you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the preamplifier/processor's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the AV preamplifier/processor.
UPnP (Universal Plug and Play): With a network connection, you'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the Arcam preamplifier/processor. For playback from a network device, the network device needs to running a universal plug and play (UPnP) service, such as Windows Media Player 11. Other free and paid-for UPnP services are available for other computer operating systems. Some network attached storage (NAS) systems include a built-in version of a UPnP service. You'll be able to control your music from the included IR remote or the free MusicLife App (for Apple iOS 9.0+). Supported music files include MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC - up to 24-bit/192kHz.
Roon Ready (Available Firmware Update): Roon Ready network devices have Roon's streaming technology built in, and are certified by Roon Labs to provide the highest level of quality and performance in network streaming. Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the Arcam AV preamplifier/processor and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal music streaming service. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the Arcam preamplifier/processor and all other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Arcam preamplifier/processor or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the AV Arcam preamplifier/processor. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or player (sold separately) located on the network within your home.
USB-A Port: The rear-panel USB-A port (5V/1A) supports playback of a variety of music files store on a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, such as a thumbdrive or HDD (hard disk drive). An external HDD will require a separate AC power supply. Supported music files include MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC - up to 24-bit/192kHz. The USB device should be formatted in FAT 12 or FAT 32.
Note: The preamplifier/processor's USB port does not support USB hubs, card readers, Apple iOS device, or Android OS devices.
Bluetooth Audio w/ aptX HD: The Arcam AV40 features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer) to the AV preamplifier/processor.
- Supported Codecs: In addition to support for Bluetooth's standard SBC audio codec, the AV40 supports AAC for higher quality playback from Apple iOS devices, as well as support of aptX HD for 24-bit/48kHz audio playback from compatible devices. aptX HD supports 48kHz/24-bit LPCM audio over a Bluetooth wireless connection for a "better-than-CD" listening experience.
- Control & Display: You can control Volume, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track from the included remote control. The preamplifier/processor's front-panel LCD will also display song/artist/album info (no album art). Song/artist/album info is not displayed on the connected TV.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be paired with the AV preamplifier/processor, but only one can be connected and used at a time. The Arcam AV40 does not support auto reconnection with previously paired Bluetooth devices.
Note: Make sure to connect the included Bluetooth antenna.
Multrioom Audio/Video Distribution
HDMI Zone 2: The Arcam AV40 provides a Zone 2 HDMI output, so two different HDMI audio/video feeds can be sent to two different displays at the same time directly from the preamplifier/processor. HDMI Zone 2 will output up to 4K video and 2-channel audio for the HDMI input source selected. Video will be output at the highest resolution supported by both TVs. If you have the same HDMI source playing back in the main room and Zone 2, then the main room is also limited to 2ch PCM audio.
Note: The HDMI Zone 2 only supports HDMI audio/video sources. Not compatible with analog, optical/coaxial digital, network, USB, or Bluetooth sources.
Line-Level Zone 2: The Line-Level Zone 2 allows stereo audio playback of an audio source connected to the preamplifier/processor in another room of your home via RCA line-level output. Analog audio input sources, the built-in FM tuner, the USB port, Bluetooth, and Network content (including UPnP, Chromecast built-in, and AirPlay 2) can be output in Zone 2. When using the preamplifier/processor's line output terminals for the second room, you need an additional amplifier to power your Zone 2 speakers. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Arcam preamplifier/processor or add-on amplifier.
- Unfortunately, you cannot select USB, Bluetooth, and Network sources exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select a Network source for Zone 2 when a USB source is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to the same network source as Zone 2.
- HDMI & optical/coaxial digital input sources cannot be output in Zone 2.
MusicLife App: The free Music Life App for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) allows you to wirelessly stream music stored on your computer and your compatible smartphone or tablet device to the Arcam AV preamplifier/processor, as well control playback from your mobile device. You'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the Arcam preamplifier/processor and control playback from the MusicLife app on your compatible mobile device. You also get to stream content stored on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device to the Arcam preamplifier/processor using the MusicLife app with playback control functions.
Note: Your music library must be stored physically on your computer or mobile device, not on a Cloud service.
Universal Remote: The Arcam AV40 preamplifier/processor is supplied with an universal backlit remote control that can control up to eight devices. It is pre-programmed for use with this AV preamplifier/processor and many other Arcam products (CD players, DVD players, etc). With its extensive built-in library of codes, it can also be used with thousands of other manufacturer's audio/video components (such as TVs, satellite/cable boxes, Blu-ray players, etc.). It is also a "learning" remote, so you can teach it almost any IR function from another component's remote control. A backlight comes on for eight seconds whenever a key is pressed on the remote, helping you use the remote control in low lighting conditions.
HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control): The Arcam AV40 supports HDMI-CEC, which synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. When the AV preamplifier/processor is connected to a HDMI-CEC compatible TV, they will turn ON/OFF together and you can use the TV remote to control the volume of the preamplifier/processor. HDMI-CEC also provides playback functionality with other components, such as your Blu-ray player. For example, you can use the preamplifier/processor's remote control to operate player functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, or Stop.
Note: Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
IP Control: When connected to your network via Ethernet, you can control select functions of the Arcam AV preamplifier/processor with the IP control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, or Safari 7.x is recommended for web browser. IP Control can be set to to work even when the preamplifier/processor is in Standby (Off) mode).
RS232 Port: The AV preamplifier/processor is equipped with an RS232 Port that can be used to connect external control devices from Crestron and AMX (sold separately).
IR Inputs: The two infrared inputs (3.5mm) allow the connection of external IR preamplifier/processors, either when the preamplifier/processor's front-panel IR preamplifier/processor is fully or partially obstructed, or when controlling Zone 2.
Triggers Outputs: The two 12V trigger outputs (12V/70mA) can be used to switch on and off other components with a 12V trigger inputs in Zone 1 and Zone 2.
On-Screen Menu: The Arcam AV40 features an on-screen user interface for the setup menus. The on-screen user interface and setup menus are only available through the main HDMI monitor output (the Sub HDMI output and Zone 2 HDMI output do not support the on-screen menu). You can select the language for the on-screen setup menus; choose from English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Russian, or Chinese.
Front-Panel Display: The Arcam AV40 is also equipped with a large front-panel display which lets you view menu settings, volume level, source selection, and song/arist/album info (no album art).
Input Name Edit: You can change the name of any input to more closely match your setup and the type of audio/video component you have connected.
Firmware & Software Downloads: The firmware in the Arcam AV preamplifier/processor can be updated from a USB thumbdrive containing firmware update files. You can download the latest firmware file, together with upgrading instructions, from the Arcam website (www.arcam.co.uk). Firmware & software downloads are not supported over a network connection.
Note: Updating will clear your Dirac Live setup, but it is ok to reload a project from Dirac Live application on your Windows PC or Mac computer.