About the Arcam AV40
Create a true home theater experience
Create a true home theater experience
There is, I believe, a certain magic to watching a movie in your very own home theater. The Arcam AV40 can help you get there, and then some, thanks to an incredible 16 channels of surround sound processing.
Use this high-performance preamp/processor as the centerpiece of your Dolby Atmos® or DTS:X® surround sound system. You'll enjoy a spectacular show every time you take your seat.
The AV40 features balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) connections to support virtually any amplifier system you want to use.
Surround sound your way
There are a couple of main reasons to go with "separates" for your home theater system, instead of going with a traditional A/V receiver.
The first is that it allows you to upgrade your preamp without replacing your amplification at the same time. If you have an amp system that you love, there's no need to replace it just because a new audio or video format has emerged.
The second is that it allows system customization that's just not possible with most A/V receivers.
This pre/pro lets you go all-out with a 9.1.6-channel surround sound system out of the gate. (That's up to nine traditional surround sound speakers, six speakers dedicated to overhead effects, plus a powered subwoofer). Or expand your system over time, adding additional surround or overhead effects channels to taste.
The AV40 supports up to 16 independent channels of audio (that's a whole lotta sound, friend). To connect to external power amps, you have the choice of using balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA) cables.
Sound from every corner of your room
One reason the AV40 performs so well is the advancement of "object-based" surround sound formats like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, which place sound effects in space around you with pinpoint accuracy.
The AV40 excels at decoding and processing these object-based soundtracks. You'll hear the movie's score and special effects above, behind, in front of, and beside you — just like you would in an actual theater.
The AV40's advanced video processing ensures a vivid, highly detailed picture with movies, sporting events, and video games. Use it with confidence with your giant TV or projector-based home theater system.
An inside look at the AV40's circuitry and power supply.
Legendary room correction
The AV40 includes Dirac Live®, one of the industry's best room correction platforms. Once you download the Dirac software to your Windows® or Mac® laptop, and connect the supplied microphone, you can take precise acoustic measurements of your room.
Then Dirac creates a customized correction curve that fine-tunes the output of your speakers and subwoofers based on the unique sonic characteristics of your space.
The resulting sound is clear, smooth, and ultra-detailed, with tighter bass and more impactful dynamics than before.
- Dolby®, DTS®, and Auro-3D surround sound decoding
- supports up to a 9.1.6-channel Dolby Atmos or DTS:X setup with external power amps
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced content
- Dirac Live® room correction tailors the sound to your room's acoustics (microphone included)
- independent calibration for up to 15 speaker channels, plus a subwoofer
- Dirac Live software requires a Windows® or Mac® laptop
- ESS 9026PRO audiophile digital-to-analog converter for ultra-clear sound from stereo and surround sources
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- dual HDMI outputs for sending signal to both a TV and a projector
- zone 2 HDMI output for sending signal to another part of the house
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) supports the most advanced surround sound formats, including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, via a single HDMI connection to your TV
- passes full-resolution surround sound signals from over-the-air broadcasts and streaming media
- digital audio connections:
- 2 Toslink optical and 4 coaxial inputs
- 1 Toslink optical output
- 6 analog RCA stereo audio inputs, plus front-panel 3.5mm minijack input
- 15.1-channel balanced XLR outputs, including one for a powered subwoofer
- 15.2-channel unbalanced RCA outputs, including 2 connections for powered subs
- zone 2 stereo preamp and line-level outputs
- no phono input — to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for network connection
- RS-232, IR (infrared), and 12-volt trigger connections for use with optional 3rd party controllers
- front-panel 3.5mm mini headphone output
- detachable power cord
- free Arcam MusicLife and UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) control apps let you use your iOS® or Android™ device as a wireless remote control through Wi-Fi
- wireless music streaming through Bluetooth®, Apple AirPlay® 2, and Chromecast built-in
- built-in FM tuner
- remote control included
- 17-1/16"W x 6-3/4"H x 16-3/4"D
- weight: 23.4 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years with registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARCAV40AM
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Arcam AV40