About the Arcam AVR31
Arcam's top-of-the-line home theater receiver
Arcam's top-of-the-line home theater receiver
Arcam's new AVR31 puts every bit of the company's engineering prowess on display. This mean machine has a lot of premium components inside, like a top-of-the-line Class G amplifier, reference digital-to-analog converters, and an over-engineered power supply. The cherry on top of all that goodness is the receiver's advanced surround sound processing that helps make your movies more lifelike than ever.
Plenty of clean power for any occasion
The AVR31 uses a powerful Class G amplifier that dishes out a whopping 120 watts per channel — more than enough for most tower and bookshelf speakers. This musical-sounding amp design uses Class A circuitry for low-level signals, then kicks in a higher-voltage power supply for more demanding dynamic peaks, all while keeping distortion extremely low. It's complemented by an over-engineered toroidal power supply, which helps eliminate noise before it ever reaches the amplifier.
The AVR 31 has a plethora of inputs and preamp outputs to cover all your connection needs
Bring your movies and music to life
The AVR31 supports an incredible 16 channels of surround sound decoding for formats like Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and AURO-3D.
You can power a solid surround sound system using just the receiver's seven built-in channels. Or you can take advantage of the sixteen preamp outputs on the rear panel by using separate amplifiers to run the massive system of your dreams. Either way, this receiver accurately reproduces every aspect of a movie's soundtrack, from thunder above, to explosions behind, and front-and-center action unfolding on-screen.
This receiver has your sound quality covered on the music side of things as well. There are two reference ESS Sabre ESS9026PRO audiophile-grade DACs inside that tastefully unveil the detail and nuance in your music. Each DAC has its own reference ESS voltage regulator, which drastically improves how each chip handles the incoming audio signal.
Streaming albums made easy
This receiver offers plenty of ways to get your music going. It supports streaming through Apple AirPlay® 2, Google Chromecast, Bluetooth®, Spotify Connect®, and TIDAL Connect. It supports UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) too, which lets you access high-res files stored on your home network. You can select streaming sources through the free MusicLife app (available on Android™ and iOS®). The app also lets you use your phone as a Wi-Fi remote control.
Industry-leading Dirac room correction
Dirac Live® is one of the finest room correction systems in the industry. Use the included microphone and run the Dirac software on your laptop to take precise sound measurements in your room. After the software completes the test, it then creates a personalized EQ correction curve for all your speakers, made to overcome your room's specific acoustic characteristics. By using Dirac, you'll let your speakers achieve their full sonic potential.
- 7-channel amplifier
- 120 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.02% THD with 2 channels driven
- Class G amplifier design offers pristine, musical sound and ultra-high efficiency
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- supports up to a 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos or DTS:X setup with additional external power amps
- Dirac Live® room correction tailors the sound to your room's acoustics (microphone included)
- Dirac Live software requires a Windows® or Mac® laptop
- optional Dirac Live Bass Control for fine-tuning subwoofers available separately via Dirac's website
- dual ESS 9026PRO audiophile digital-to-analog converters for ultra-clear sound from stereo and surround sources
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- all HDMI connections support 4K/120Hz and 8K/60Hz signals
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with 4K and 8K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- dual main-room HDMI outputs for sending signal to both a TV and a projector
- zone 2 HDMI output for sending signal to another part of the house
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K and 8K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports Dolby Vision®,HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 4 coaxial
- 1 optical digital audio output
- 6 analog RCA stereo audio inputs
- no phono input — to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- front-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input and 3.5mm headphone output
- 15.2-channel preamp outputs
- Ethernet port for network connection
- IR (infrared) and 12-volt trigger connections for use with optional 3rd party controllers
- detachable power cord
Music streaming options:
- Chromecast built-in for streaming over Wi-Fi with a wide range of compatible apps on your mobile device
- Spotify® Connect lets you play music using the Spotify app on your mobile device (subscription required)
- Apple AirPlay 2 for easy streaming from an iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer
- Bluetooth with support for high-quality aptX® HD streaming
- free Arcam MusicLife and UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) control apps let you use your iOS® or Android™ device as a wireless remote control
- built-in FM tuner with 50 station presets
- remote control included
- color front-panel display
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 17-1/16"W x 6-11/16"H x 18-9/16"D
- weight: 39.9 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARCAVR31AM
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Auto calibration microphone
- 6.5' miniUSB-to-USB cable
- 2 WiFi antennas
- Bluetooth antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Quick Start booklet
- "Thank You" letter
Arcam AVR31 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Arcam AVR31
Features & specs
Network & Bluetooth
Multiroom AV Playback
Remote & App Control
Class G Amplification: The AVR31 AV receiver utilizes Arcam's latest generation Class G amplifier topology that is both clever and efficient. Class G amplification implements multiple power supplies (including a Toroidal transformer) rather than just a single supply. If a dynamic signal is received that goes beyond the capability of the first power supply, the secondary supply is gradually brought in up to full rated power output as required. This gives a very efficient design as additional power is only used when required. Modern high speed silicon allows Arcam to make this switch faster than would ever be required, even way beyond the audio bandwidth, so there is no lag in power. The first power supply is of lower power and within this region we run in pure Class A, which has no crossover distortion. As the secondary supply is only used when required, extreme levels of power are possible because very little energy is wasted in the amplifier as heat when it is not being used. Without control this power would be ill-used, so multiple output devices within the amplifier keep a tight grip on the loudspeaker at all times, ensuring your listening experience never lacks dynamics and detail.
- 120 watts (2-channels driven into 8-ohm, at 20-20kHz, with 0.02% THD)
- 140 watts (2-channels driver into 8-ohm, at 1kHz, with 0.02% THD)
- 100 watts (7-channels driven into 8-ohm, at 1kHz, with 0.2% THD)
Amplifier Assignment: The AV receiver's 7-channel amplifier will power up to seven speakers and can be configured in a variety of ways to meet your setup and application.
- 7.1ch Surround Back: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured for 7.1ch playback with Surround Back speakers, so you can enjoy Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD movie soundtracks. In this configuration there are no Height speakers.
- 5.1ch Biamp: You can configure the amplifier for front bi-amp operation to achieve a higher-quality sound by connecting the receiver's front and surround back channels to your main front speakers (if compatible). The receiver will be limited to 5.1ch surround. In this configuration there are no Surround or Height speakers.
- 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos: This amplifier configuration provides 5.1.2ch playback using either top front, top middle, Dolby Atmos enabled front, or Dolby Atmos enabled surround speakers for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X movie soundtracks. In this configuration there are Surround Back speakers.
- 5.1.4ch Dolby Atmos (Requires Additional Amplifier): The AV receiver can be configured for 5.1.4ch playback with the receiver's amplifier powering seven channels (Front / Center / Surround / Height) and an external amplifier powering the other Height channels (Height 2).
- 7.1.2ch / 7.1.4ch / 7.1.6ch Dolby Atmos (Requires Additional Power Amplifiers): The AV receiver can be configured for 7.12ch, 7.1.4ch, 7.1.6ch playback with the receiver's amplifier powering seven channels (Front / Center / Surround / Surround Back) and an external amplifier(s) powering two, four, or six Height channels (Height 1 / Height 2 / Height 3).
- 9.1.2ch / 9.1.4ch / 9.1.6ch Dolby Atmos (Requires Additional Power Amplifiers): The AV receiver can be configured for 9.12ch, 9.1.4ch, 9.1.6ch playback with the receiver's amplifier powering seven channels (Front / Center / Surround / Surround Back) and an external amplifier(s) powering additional surround speakers, as well as two, four, or six Height channels (Height 1 / Height 2 / Height 3).
Dirac Live Room Correction: There is a proprietary automatic loudspeaker setup function, known as Dirac Live, built into the Arcam AVR31. Using a computer application (for Windows & Mac), Dirac Live attempts to set all the essential speaker settings for all the speakers in your system. It also calculates room equalization (Room EQ) filter values to remove some of the worst effects of resonant frequencies in the listening room. The AV receiver comes with a calibration microphone which should be inserted into the microphone input of the supplied USB sound card and then into a USB socket on a Windows PC or Mac computer that connected to the same network as the Arcam AV receiver and positioned at the main listening position. This microphone picks up the special calibration tones generated by the speakers when Dirac Live is run. The AV receiver then analyses the signal and computes - Speaker Type, Speaker Distance, Speaker Level, and Room EQ. You can store up to 3 Dirac Live EQ curves.
- To download the Dirac Live for Arcam application (for Windows & Mac), please visit www.arcam.co.uk.
- The Arcam AVR31 model comes with Dirac Live Room Correction Full Bandwidth installed, but you can go a step further and improve your connected powered subwoofers with Dirac Live Bass Control (Liscense sold separatey).
- You can also choose to manually enter Speaker Sizes, Speaker Distances, and Speaker Levels.
Dual ESS 9026PRO Audiophile DACs: The Arcam AVR31 AV receiver utilizes two ESS 9026PRO DACs (digital-to-analog converter) with ESS reference voltage regulators that support up to 24-bit/192kHz multichannel audio for audiophile-grade sound quality. It supports a variety of high-resolution and multichannel audio formats and codecs - including Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, DSD, and MQA.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The Arcam AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (7 Inputs/3 Outputs)||High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD |
DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|Optical/Coaxial (2 Optical Inputs/4 Coaxial Inputs)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos surround sound technology dispenses with channel-based coding in favor of more advanced object-based coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds anywhere in the 3-dimensional space. Dolby Atmos creates powerful, immersive audio with sound that comes from all directions (including overhead) to fill your home cinema with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. Dolby Atmos brings to life a movie's soundtrack with sound that flows all around you in three-dimensional space to completely immerse you in the action, heightening your cinematic experience. The AVR31 also allows you to upmix 2ch and Dolby Digital soundtracks with Dolby Surround, as well as create virtual height effects using Dolby Virtual Height mode.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch, or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- Dolby Virtual Height: Dolby Virtual Height provides immersive audio without height-channel or overhead speakers, creating virtual height effects in a 5.1ch, 7.1ch or even 2.1ch speaker arrangement. Dolby Virtual Height applies carefully designed "height-cue" filters to the overhead audio components of your content's soundtrack before they are mixed into your loudspeakers to create the sensation of sound above you.
DTS:X: DTS:X features object-based audio coding that lets the soundtrack designer place sonic elements anywhere in the 3D acoustic soundspace, and provides for overhead speakers to deliver a stunning surround sound experience. DTS:X places sound in a movie soundtrack where it would occur naturally in space, creating a truly lifelike, multi-dimensional audio experience. DTS:X replicates a real-world sound environment that transports you (the audience) into a new dimension of sound immersion by delivering a truly captivating home cinema experience. The AVR31 also allows you to upmix 2ch and DTS soundtracks with DTS Neural:X, as well as create virtual height effects using DTS Virtual:X mode.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X is an advanced spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. DTS Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Virtual:X: DTS Virtual:X bridges the gap between DTS:X and the reality of so many consumers' homes that cannot accommodate overhead speakers, allowing you to enjoy multi-dimensional sound regardless of room size, layout, or speaker configuration. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 7.1.4ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces).
AURO-3D Audio: The Arcam AVR31 receiver is equipped with an Auro-3D decoder. With Auro-3D, Front Height, Surround Height and Top Surround are added to a conventional 5.1-channel system to achieve a natural and realistic soundfield that is three-dimensional and fully immersive. You will be able to fully enjoy Auro-3D playback if you properly place the speakers for Auro-3D. Auro-3D does not support a Dolby Atmos configuration using Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear, or any Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers. But it is possible to support both an Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos by adding Front Height and Rear Height speakers to a 5.1 configuration. For an optimum Auro-3D experience Surround Height speakers are strongly recommended.
IMAX Enhanced Technology: Get the most premium at-home entertainment experience with IMAX Enhanced; the latest technology program from IMAX that sets a new standard for image, sound, scale and content quality. This new certification and licensing program combines IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies to offer a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences in the home. IMAX Enhanced lets you experience premium content digitally remastered by IMAX, so you can watch the highest-quality 4K movies with immersive audio delivered by DTS. Not only will IMAX Enhanced content look and sound amazing, but other audio/video content will also look and sound great too.
- Remastered 4K/HDR Video: It utilizes a sophisticated, advanced algorithm designed to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images. This advanced process accurately reduces noise and grain under the filmmaker's guidance to best optimize the content for a much higher quality, higher brightness 4K HDR display format. Select IMAX Enhanced titles that were shot with IMAX cameras or specially formatted for IMAX theaters will also include an expanded aspect ratio for the film's home release to show you more picture on your TV. IMAX Enhanced certified TVs must be at least 65" with support for HDR10 and dynamic, as well as specific calibration, resolution, color, brightness, contrast, and scale of image capabilities.
- Remastered DTS:X Audio: IMAX and DTS will also partner with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to use a special variant of its DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience that is dynamic, immersive, theatrical, and powerful. IMAX Enhanced supports both 5.1 and 11.1 formats, but the recommended speaker layout for an IMAX Enhanced system is 7.2.4 with seven horizontal speakers, two subwoofers and four height speakers; 5.1.4 is the minimum layout for IMAX Enhanced. However, due to various constraints you may opt to install only a 5.1ch speaker system. In such cases, DTS Virtual:X is required to properly render and remap audio to the available speakers.
- Available IMAX Content: IMAX is working with its global studio and other content partners to build a steady stream of IMAX Enhanced versions of movies and other programming using the newest, proprietary post-production process developed by IMAX. IMAX will be announcing and releasing IMAX Enhanced versions of a wide range of films both for 4K/HDR streaming and Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs.
- To take full advantage of IMAX Enhanced, you need an IMAX Enhanced certified 4K/HDR TV (65"-up) or Projector and an IMAX Enhanced certified DTS:X enabled AV receiver or soundbar.
- IMAX and DTS developed the IMAX Enhanced program out of their decades of combined expertise in image and sound science to make it easier for consumers to select the products and content that will deliver the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images and powerful, immersive sound at home.
- To qualify and carry the IMAX Enhanced logo, the highest-end TVs, AV receivers, projectors, sound bars, and must meet stringent performance standards established by IMAX, DTS and Hollywood's leading colorists in order to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices.
Master Quality Authenticated (MQA): The Arcam AVR31 will playback and decodes MQA content from UPnP network audio sources. Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio. At this level of playback you are hearing what was created in the studio ,with precise file and platform-specific DAC compensation and management. MQA is supported via a wired or wireless UPnP network connection only.
HiFi Stereo: In addition to home theater applications, the Arcam AVR31 can be utilized for HiFi stereo sound when critically listening to your music library. It offers 2ch Stereo and All-Channel Stereo modes, as well as Direct modes that turns off necessary DSP and surround sound processing for a purer music listening experience.
- Stereo Modes: In Stereo mode, the Arcam AVR31 works as a high-quality 2ch amplifier for stereo playback from the two connected front left and right loudspeakers. In Multichannel Stereo mode (5ch or 7ch), the AVR31 produces an output from all speakers by copying the left output to all left speakers and the right output to all right speakers. The center speaker outputs a mix of left and right. The powered subwoofer can be enabled or disabled in Stereo or Multichannel Stereo modes.
- Direct Modes: The Stereo Direct mode automatically bypasses all of the receiver's processing and any surround functions. In Stereo Direct mode, digital processing is shut down to improve the sound quality and reduces digital noise with the receiver to an absolute minimum. When Stereo Direct mode is selected, no digital output is available and no bass management is performed (no audio will be output from a connected powered subwoofer). CD Direct turns off the compressed audio detection mute delay and should only be used for sources that will only transmit PCM audio (such as a CD player).
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AV receiver's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where as the previous ARC (Audio Return Channel) was limited to only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Note: Supported content will be dependent on whether your TV features a HDMI eARC or ARC jack.
Level Controls: The Arcam AVR31 allows you to adjust the receivers Bass & Treble, Input Trim, Maximum Volume levels to your desired preference.
- Bass & Treble: The Arcam AV receiver offers independent Bass & Treble tone control for all connected speakers and for each individual source input, allowing you to set up different Bass & Treble tone setting for different source content. The Bass & Treble settings range is -12 to +12 dB. There is also a Balance control to adjust the left and right balance between the front and left speakers.
- Input Trim: Input Trim allows you to set the maximum analog input signal level (sensitivity) for each analog input before the ADC (analog-to-digital converter) signal path clips. This helps maximize signal-to-noise performance of the receiver and also helps keep the various analog sources sounding about the same level for any given receiver volume control setting. The Input Trim can be set to 1, 2, or 4 volts.
- Maximum Volume: You can limit the maximum volume setting the system can be turned up to; this is a useful feature to prevent accidental overdriving of low power-handling speakers. It is stored in memory and recalled each time the unit is powered up (can be set independently for the Main Zone and Zone 2). You can also limit the maximum volume the system operates in when it is switched on or comes out of Standby. The system comes on at this stored volume setting if the last used volume exceeds this value. It is stored in memory and recalled each time the unit is powered up (can be set independently for the Maine Zone and Zone 2). The volume range of this receiver is 0-99dB.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The Arcam AVR31 is equipped with analog & digital audio inputs. There are four coaxial (RCA) digital inputs, two optical (toslink) digital inputs, and six stereo line-level (RCA) inputs. There is a also a front-panel 3.5mm Aux input for temporary connection of an external audio source, such as a portable MP3 player.
Note: This receiver is not equipped with a Phono input to connect a turntable. To connect a turntable, you'll need an external phono preamp or a turntable with a built-in phono preamp. See Accessories Tab for phono preamps (sold separately).
Audio Outputs: The Arcam AVR31 AV receiver is outfitted with binding-post speaker terminals and 7.2.4ch RCA preouts, along with a stereo line-output, digital output, and a front-panel headphone jack.
- Gold-Plated Binding-Post Speaker Outputs: The AVR31 AV receiver is outfitted with gold-plated binding-post terminals for all of its speaker outputs. The binding-post terminals accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only); you'll need to remove the plastic caps to use banana plugs. The gold-plated terminals offers excellent signal transfer and resistance to corrosion. Speaker outputs include Front Left, Front Right, Center, Surround Left, Surround Right, Surround Back/Height Left, and Surround Back/Height Right. Only connect loudspeakers with an 8-ohm impedance.
- 9.2.6Ch Preamp Outputs: The Arcam receiver is equipped with 9.2.6ch preamp outputs to connect external amplifier(s) to power your loudspeakers and connect up to two powered subwoofers (discretely). The 9.2.6ch preamp outputs consists of Front Left/Front Right, Center, Surround Left/Surround Right, Surround Back Left/Surround Back Right, Height Left 1/Height Right 1, Height Left 2/Height Right 2, and Subwoofer 1/Subwoofer 2, as well as four assignable preamp outputs.
- Line Out & Digital Out: The Arcam AVR31 is also equipped with a stereo line output and optical (toslink) digital output for the output of an analog or digital audio signal.
- Headphone Jack: The Arcam AVR31 features a front-panel 3.5mm headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones (impedance rating between 32-ohm and 600-ohm. The headphone jack is always active, except when receiver is muted. When a set of headphones is connected to the headphone jack, the receiver's speaker outputs and preamp outputs are automatically muted.
FM Tuner: The Arcam AVR31 AV receiver features a built-in FM tuner (there is no AM tuner) and comes with an FM wire antenna. You can store up to 50 FM station presets.
HDMI 2.1: The Arcam AVR31 is equipped with seven HDMI inputs and three HDMI outputs. All seven HDMI inputs and the three HDMI outputs feature the latest HDMI 2.1 specification; including support for 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz Ultra-HD video, HDCP 2.3, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling.
- 8K/60Hz & 4K/120Hz Passthrough: All seven of the HDMI inputs and the three HDMI outputs support up to 8K (7680x4320 pixels) @ 60 frames pers second and 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 120 frames per second - up to 40Gbps bandwidth. The HDMI jacks will also pass a 1080p/i, 720p, and 480p/i video signals via HDMI.
- HDPCP 2.3 Compliant: All of HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for ultra-HD 4K and 8K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All HDMI inputs and outputs support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (4K 60Hz/50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): BT.2020 is supported on all HDMI inputs and outputs. The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- This receiver does not upscale HDMI video.
- This receiver is not equipped with analog composite or component video inputs/outputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. This receiver supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, and HLG.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HDR10+: HDR10+ is a new open standard that leverages dynamic metadata to produce enhanced contrast and colors on an expanded range of televisions. HDR10+ incorporates dynamic metadata that allows the adjustment of brightness levels on a scene-by-scene or even frame-by-frame basis. By applying individualized tone mapping to each scene, HDR10+ delivers an incredible viewing experience. The picture quality offers an enhanced visual experience with more detailed expressions, brighter shadow areas and more accurate color renderings that stay true to the creator's original intent.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Three HDMI Outputs: The Arcam AVR31 is equipped with three HDMI outputs, a Main HDMI output, sub HDMI output, and a Zone 2 HDMI output. The Main and Sub HDMI outputs are parallel and distribute the same HDMI input signal simultaneously to two separate displays. The Zone 2 HDMI output allows you to enjoy a different HDMI audio/video source in another room. All three HDMI outputs can support up to 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz Ultra-HD video.
Other HDMI Features: The Arcam AV receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers HDMI Standby Passthrough, Lip Sync function, and 3D video pass-through,.
- HDMI Standby Passthrough: When the AVR31 is in standby mode (power off), the HDMI Standby Passthrough feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's no need to turn on the AV receiver in order to switch HDMI sources.
- Lyp Sync: Each input can have its own setting to add a time delay between the audio and video signals to compensate for the sound and picture not being synchronized. This is normally required when video processing is used in the system for scaling or de-interlacing video. The range of lip sync delay is 0 to 250 milliseconds.
- 3D Ready: The Arcam AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
Network & Bluetooth
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: The Arcam AVR31 supports a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection. The AVR31 is equipped with an RJ-45 LAN jack for a wired connection to your network router. It also offers built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11ac) for a wireless connection to your network router. By connecting the AV receiver to your network, you gain access to Chromecast built-in music apps, Spotify & Tidal Connect, Apple AirPlay 2 for iOS devices, plus UPnP audio file sharing.
Note: Make sure to connect the two included WiFi antennas when setting up a wireless network connection.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the AV receiver and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the AV receiver. With AirPlay 2, you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the AV receiver.
Spotify & Tidal Connect: The Arcam AVR31 receiver supports Spotify Connect & Tidal Connect, making listening to some of your favorite online music services even easier and more enjoyable.
- Spotify Connect: The AVR31 offers Spotify Connect support, so you can stream millions of songs from your portable device with ease. You will need to subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, so you can stream Spotify to the Arcam AV receiver. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- TIDAL Connect: The integration of Tidal Connect will enable Tidal users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Arcam AVR31 from within the Tidal app (for Apple iOS and Android OS). TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality, plus Dolby Atmos.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Arcam AVR31. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Arcam AVR31 receiver.
- Online Music & Internet Radio: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the Arcam AVR31. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio Distribution: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers and components (sold separately) throughout your home to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Google Assistant Voice Control: Purchase a Google Assistant enabled smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The AVR31 receiver and your Google Assistant smart speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service.
- Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
- A separate Google Assistant smart speaker (sold separately) is required for voice control. You will also need to agree to Google's Privacy Statement to use voice control.
UPnP (Universal Plug and Play): With a network connection, you'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the Arcam receiver. For playback from a network device, the network device needs to running a universal plug and play (UPnP) service, such as Windows Media Player 11. Other free and paid-for UPnP services are available for other computer operating systems. Some network attached storage (NAS) systems include a built-in version of a UPnP service. You'll be able to control your music from the included IR remote or the free for (Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) . Supported music files include MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC ( up to 24-bit/192kHz); as well as MQA audio files.
Roon Ready: Roon Ready network devices have Roon's streaming technology built in, and are certified by Roon Labs to provide the highest level of quality and performance in network streaming. Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the Arcam receiver and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, DSD, and MQA) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal music streaming service. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the Arcam receiver and all other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Arcam receiver or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Arcam AV receiver. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or player (sold separately) located on the network within your home.
Bluetooth Audio w/ aptX HD: The Arcam AVR31 features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer) to the AV receiver.
- Supported Codecs: In addition to support for Bluetooth's standard SBC audio codec, the AVR31 supports AAC for higher quality playback from Apple iOS devices, as well as support of aptX HD for 24-bit/48kHz audio playback from compatible devices. aptX HD supports 48kHz/24-bit LPCM audio over a Bluetooth wireless connection for a "better-than-CD" listening experience.
- Control & Display: You can control Volume, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track from the included remote control. The receiver's front-panel LCD will also display song/artist/album info (no album art). Song/artist/album info is not displayed on the connected TV.
- Multi-Device Pairing: Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be paired with the AV receiver, but only one can be connected and used at a time. The Arcam AVR31 does not support auto reconnection with previously paired Bluetooth devices.
Note: Make sure to connect the included Bluetooth antenna.
Multiroom AV Playback
HDMI Zone 2: The Arcam AVR31 provides a Zone 2 HDMI output, so two different HDMI audio/video feeds can be sent to two different displays at the same time directly from the receiver. HDMI Zone 2 will output up to 8K video and 2-channel audio for the HDMI input source selected. Video will be output at the highest resolution supported by both TVs. If you have the same HDMI source playing back in the main room and Zone 2, then the main room is also limited to 2ch PCM audio.
- The HDMI Zone 2 only supports HDMI audio/video sources.
- Zone 2 is not compatible with analog, optical/coaxial digital, network, or Bluetooth sources.
Analog Zone 2: Analog Zone 2 allows stereo audio playback of an audio source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via speaker-level output or RCA line-level output. Analog audio input sources, the built-in FM tuner, Bluetooth, and Network content (including UPnP, Chromecast built-in, and AirPlay 2) can be output in Zone 2.
- Speaker-Level: When using the receiver's speaker-level outputs and amplifier to power a pair of loudspeakers in a second room of your home, the Main Zone is restricted to 5.1-channels. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by the Arcam receiver.
- Line-Level: When using the receiver's line output terminals for the second room, you need an additional amplifier to power your Zone 2 speakers; the Main Zone of the receiver remains 7.1-channel. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Arcam receiver or add-on amplifier.
- Unfortunately, you cannot select Bluetooth and Network sources exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select a Network source for Zone 2 when a Blueooth source is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to the same network source as Zone 2.
- HDMI & optical/coaxial digital input sources cannot be output in Zone 2.
Remote & App Control
Universal Remote: The Arcam AVR31 receiver is supplied with a universal backlit remote control that can control up to eight devices. It is pre-programmed for use with this AV receiver and many other Arcam products (CD players, DVD players, etc). With its extensive built-in library of codes, it can also be used with thousands of other manufacturer's audio/video components (such as TVs, satellite/cable boxes, Blu-ray players, etc.). It is also a "learning" remote, so you can teach it almost any IR function from another component's remote control. A backlight comes on for eight seconds whenever a key is pressed on the remote, helping you use the remote control in low lighting conditions.
HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control): The Arcam AVR31 supports HDMI-CEC, which synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. When the AV receiver is connected to a HDMI-CEC compatible TV, they will turn ON/OFF together and you can use the TV remote to control the volume of the receiver. HDMI-CEC also provides playback functionality with other components, such as your Blu-ray player. For example, you can use the receiver's remote control to operate player functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, or Stop.
Note: Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
MusicLife App: The free Music Life App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) allows you to wirelessly stream music stored on your computer and your compatible smartphone or tablet device to the Arcam AV receiver, as well control playback from your mobile device. You'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the Arcam receiver and control playback from the MusicLife app on your compatible mobile device. You also get to stream content stored on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device to the Arcam receiver using the MusicLife app with playback control functions.
Note: Your music library must be stored physically on your computer or mobile device, not on a Cloud service.
Custom Integration Control: The Arcam AVR31 custom integration control through a network connection, RS232 port, IR inputs, and 12V trigger outputs.
- IP Control: When connected to your network via Ethernet, you can control select functions of the Arcam AV receiver with the IP control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, or Safari 7.x is recommended for web browser. IP Control can be set to to work even when the receiver is in Standby (Off) mode).
- RS232 Port: The AV receiver is equipped with an RS232 Port that can be used to connect external control devices from Crestron and AMX (sold separately).
- IR Inputs: The two infrared inputs (3.5mm) allow the connection of external IR receivers, either when the receiver's front-panel IR receiver is fully or partially obstructed, or when controlling Zone 2.
- Triggers Outputs: The two 12V trigger outputs (12V/70mA) can be used to switch on and off other components with a 12V trigger inputs in Zone 1 and Zone 2.
On-Screen Menu: The Arcam AVR31 features an on-screen user interface for the setup menus. The on-screen user interface and setup menus are only available through the main HDMI monitor output (the Sub HDMI output and Zone 2 HDMI output do not support the on-screen menu). You can select the language for the on-screen setup menus; choose from English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Russian, or Chinese.
Front-Panel Display: The Arcam AVR31 is also equipped with a large front-panel display which lets you view menu settings, volume level, source selection, and song/artist/album info (no album art).
Input Name Edit: You can change the name of any input to more closely match your setup and the type of audio/video component you have connected.
Firmware & Software Downloads: The firmware and software of the Arcam AV receiver can be updated over a wired or wireless network connection, plus via USB. You can check for over the network firmware updates from the AV receiver, or download the latest firmware file (together with upgrading instructions) from the Arcam website (www.arcam.co.uk).
Note: Updating will clear your Dirac Live setup, but it is ok to reload a project from Dirac Live application on your Windows PC or Mac computer.
The Arcam AVR31 replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 120 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- Dirac Live® room correction tailors the sound to your room's acoustics (microphone included)
Absolutely love this receiver and the support from Crutchfield! Still getting educated on all of its capabilities but the sound in my home theater impresses all of my neighbors.
Timothy from Haymarket, VA