About the Arcam CDS50
The CDS50 is Arcam's most advanced player to date. It's built around a superb 32-bit/192kHz ESS Sabre DAC that makes sure your music sounds its absolute best. You'll hear every nuance encoded in an SACD recording, and it plays nicely with CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs, too. Connect your computer to give your high-res files the royal treatment, or use the player's built-in Wi-Fi for convenient streaming.
The CDS50 has more connections than we're used to seeing on a disc player, because it can do a lot more. There are standard balanced and unbalanced outputs, but there are also digital coaxial and digital optical inputs, because the DAC inside the chassis is so good, you'll want to run your other digital sources through it.
You can also connect a flash drive or hard drive to the USB input, for even more storage and playback options.
- stereo playback for SACDs, CDs, CD-A, CD-R and CD-RW
- supports FLAC, WAV, AIFF, OGG, MP3, AAC and WMA files
- built-in ESS9038 32-bit/192kHz DAC
- Wi-Fi® built in (antenna included)
- audio streaming through MusicLife app for iOS (supports Deezer, TIDAL, Qobuz, and more)
- THD: .0008%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 118dB unbalanced, 122dB balanced
- remote included
- Toslink optical and coaxial digital inputs for additional digital sources
- Toslink optical and coaxial digital outputs for connecting to a separate DAC for CD playback
- unbalanced stereo RCA output
- balanced stereo XLR output
- Type-A USB 2.0 port for connecting a flash or hard drive
- Ethernet port for connecting to your home network
- IR remote and 12-volt trigger inputs
- RS232 input for connecting to a computer or automation system
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 17-1/16"W x 3-7/16"H x 11-3/16"D
- weight: 11.68 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years parts and labor, 2 years disc drive
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARC-CDS50-US
What's in the box:
- SACD player/streamer
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- WiFi antenna
- Handbook Manual
- "Thank You" Letter
Arcam CDS50 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Arcam CDS50
Features & specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||Yes|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||5Yrs, 2Yrs disc drive|
|Labor Warranty||5Yrs, 2Yrs disc drive|
|Stereo SACD Playback||---|
|CD Frequency Response||10-20k Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||118 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||10-20k Hz|
|SACD Dynamic Range||---|
|SACD THD||0.0008 %|
|Analog RCA Output||Yes|
|Analog XLR Output||Yes|
|Digital Optical Output||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Output||Yes|
High Performance DACs: High performance state-of-the-art Delta-Sigma DACs (Digital-to-Analogue Converters) provide audiophile sound quality to truly bring your music to life. The CDS50 also accepts inputs from digital sources up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution and decodes them utilizing the high-end ESS SABRE 32-bit DAC (ESS9038) with Arcam precision filters.
Note: For the best stereo sound quality ARCAM recommends connecting the analog outputs of the CD player/streamer to the analog inputs on your receiver or integrated amplifier, allowing the CDS50's audiophile-grade digital-to-analog circuitry be utilized.
Disc Compatibility: The ARCAM CDS50 SACD player/streamer supports playback of SACD, CD-Audio, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. You can setup tCDS50 to automatically start playback when a disc is inserted.
USB-A 2.0 Port: The rear-panel USB (type-A) 2.0 port can be used to connect a USB thumbdrive or external hard drive containing select audio files. An external hard drive will require a separate power supply. The USB port can also be used to charge USB enabled devices (such as your smartphone), as well as perform firmware & software updates.
Note: The USB port does not support media playback or data transfer from a smartphone or tablet (including Apple and Android); nor does it support connection to a laptop or computer (including Windows and Mac).
Wired and Wireless Network Connectivity: The ARCAM CDS50 SACD player/streamer features an Ethernet (RJ45) jack and built-in WiFi (2.4GHz; 802.11 b/g/n) to make a hardwired or wireless connection to your home's network router. Either network connection gives you the ability to control the player from a dedicated ARCAM app using a compatible smartphone or tablet, as well as access to local network audio content and select online music services.
App Control: The ARCAM CDS50 SACD player/streamer offers app control through it wired or wireless network connection.
- MusicLife App: ARCAM's MusicLife app (for Apple iOS 9.0+) gives you complete control of the SACD player/streamer within your WiFi network. From the app, you'll also be able to enjoy music stored directly on your Apple iOS device, Windows PC, Mac computer, and NAD drives through the ARCAM CDS50. In addition, the MusicLife app gives you access to popular online music services, internet radio, and podcasts; including TIDAL, Deezer, Napster, Qobuz, and HIGHRESAUDIO (service subscriptions and fees will apply). *The ARCAM MusicLife app is not compatible with Android devices.
- ARCAM Control App: The ARCAM Control app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) lets you remotely control the ARCAM SACD player/streamer using your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. Connect using your home network, providing feedback from your device and eliminating any line-of-sight issues present with an infrared remote control. The ARCAM Control app does not provide access to online music services or local network content.
Supported Audio Files: The ARCAM CDS50 supports the playback of the following audio file formats over disc, USB, and network.
|File Format||Bit Length and Sampling Frequency|
|FLAC||up to 24-bit / 192kHz|
|AAC||up to 24-bit / 96kHz|
|MP3||up to 320kbps / 48kHz|
|WMA||up to 192kbps / 48kHz|
Balanced & Unbalanced Outputs: The ARCAM CDS50 features both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs to make connection to your receiver or integrated amplifier. Balanced XLR connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
Digital Inputs & Outputs: In addition to analog outputs, the ARCAM CDS50 is equipped with an optical (toslink) and a coaxial (RCA digital output for connection to an AV receiver or integrated amplifier. The CDS50 also features an optical (toslink) and a coaxial (RCA) digital input, should you require to use the CD player/streamer as an audio DAC. The digital inputs and outputs support 2ch PCM only (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS). The optical digital input/output support 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz sampling frequencies; while the coaxial digital input/ouput support 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz sampling frequencies.
IR Remote Control: The included IR remote control is pre-programmed for use with the CDS50 SACD player/streamer and also with an Arcam integrated amplifier. The IR input (3.5mm) can be used to pass IR commands to the CDS50 using an IR repeater system (sold separately0, if it is installed in a position where the infrared signal cannot be received.
Trigger Input: The 12V Trigger input (3.5mm) can be used to switch the CDS50 into and out of standby. Connecting the trigger output of your Arcam integrated amplifier (or other compatible amplifier), will cause the CDS50 to come out of standby automatically when the amplifier is switched on and return to standby when the amplifier is switched off.
RS-232 Port: The RS-232 port allows for remote control of the SACD player/streamer from a 3rd-party home automation system or computer.
6 questions already asked