About the Arcam P429
Power for your favorite speakers
Power for your favorite speakers
Music and movie soundtracks can sound phenomenal when you give your speakers plenty of power. The Arcam P429 features an efficient high-voltage Class G amplifier with a toroidal power transformer for low noise and high-current output. Multiple unbalanced preamp inputs with corresponding outputs give you plenty of options for hooking up your stereo or home theater gear.
The four-channel P429 amp pairs nicely with Arcam's 7-channel home theater receivers for adding up to four Dolby Atmos® overhead speakers to your setup. Or use all four channels to bi-amp a pair of compatible stereo speakers.
Versatile Class G amplifier
The engineers who designed the P429 wanted it to provide the right amount of power at the right time, so your music always sounds exactly as it should. That's why they chose a Class G amplifier design, which uses Class A circuitry for low-level signals, then kicks in a higher-voltage power supply for more demanding dynamic peaks. And it does it without adding any crossover distortion or noise.
The P429 gives you plenty of options for connecting to your preamp or receiver. Four unbalanced RCA preamp inputs feature individual output level trim controls. A handy switch lets you feed all four channels independent signals, or distribute a stereo signal in dual mono or bridged mode. There are also four RCA preamp outputs for connecting additional amps.
- 90 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.02% THD with all channels driven
- 125 watts per channel into 4 ohms
- efficient high-voltage Class G amplifier
- THD: 0.002% (80% power, 8 ohms at 1kHz)
- toroidal power transformer for low noise and high-current output
- four unbalanced RCA preamp inputs:
- selectable stereo, dual mono, or bridged mode
- individual output level trim control
- four passive preamp outputs
- four pairs of L/R speaker outputs with binding-post connectors
- Ethernet port for connecting to a local network for remote control and monitoring
- 12-volt trigger input and output
- RS-232 port for use with third-party control systems
- Type-A USB for firmware updates
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 17-1/16"W x 4-3/16"H x 16-3/4"D
- weight: 31.7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARC-P429BK-US
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel power amplifier
- 5' AC power cord
- "Thank You" letter
- Registration Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Arcam P429
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||4|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||90|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||125|
|Bridged Power per Channel||270 watts|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||4|
High Quality Construction & Design: Arcam's P429 power amplifier provides class leading sound quality for the best possible reproduction of your music. Drawing on the many years of amplifier design experience at Arcam, this product uses the best quality components and engineering practice to produce a product that will give many years of musical pleasure and reliable service. With a class G amplifier, toroidal based power supply, acoustically damped chassis, parallel transistor output stages and exceptionally low levels of distortion and noise, the P429 is capable of reproducing music with all its original authority and detail. Rest assured you will be hearing the music just as the artist intended. The P429 is designed to produce a level of performance that will truly bring music to life.
Class G Amplification: The P429 power amplifier utilizes Arcam's latest generation Class G amplifier topology that is both clever and efficient. Class G amplification implements multiple power supplies rather than just a single supply. If a dynamic signal is received that goes beyond the capability of the first power supply, the secondary supply is gradually brought in up to full rated power output as required. This gives a very efficient design as additional power is only used when required. Modern high speed silicon allows Arcam to make this switch faster than would ever be required, even way beyond the audio bandwidth, so there is no lag in power. The first power supply is of lower power and within this region Arcam runs in pure Class A, which has no crossover distortion. As the secondary supply is only used when required, extreme levels of power are possible because very little energy is wasted in the amplifier as heat when it is not being used. Without control this power would be ill-used, so multiple output devices within the amplifier keep a tight grip on the loudspeaker at all times, ensuring your listening experience never lacks dynamics and detail.
- Stereo and Dual Mono Mode: 90 watts x 4 channels (into 8-ohm, at 20-20kHz, with 0.2% THD) or 125 watts x 4 channels (into 4-ohm, at 20-20kHz, with 0.2% THD)
- Bridged Mode: 270 watts x 2 channels (into 8-ohm, at 20-20kHz, with 0.2% THD); does not support 4-ohm impedances in Bridged mode
Applications: The Arcam P429 power amplifier has been designed to offer impressive flexibility for a variety of applications; such as powering two pair of loudspeakers, bi-amping a 2-channel stereo system, adding extra zones to an existing system, adding height channels to a home theater system, and more. There is a mode switch on the back of the amplifier which allows you to select between Stereo, Dual Mono, and Bridged modes.
- Stereo Mode: In Stereo mode, each output channel is fed from its respective input and would be used to drive four independent loudspeakers.
- Dual Mono: In Dual Mono mode, Ch1 and Ch2 are fed from the Ch1 input only, while Ch2 is not used. Similarly, Ch3 and Ch4 are fed from Ch3 only, while Ch4 is not used. This would be used to drive two independent loudspeakers in a bi-amped configuration.
- Bridged Mode: In Bridged mode, Ch1 and Ch2 are bridged together and are fed from Ch1 only, while Ch2 is not used. Similarly, Ch3 and Ch4 are bridged together and are fed from Ch3 only, while Ch4 is not used. This would be used to drive two independent speakers in a bridged mono setup.
Gold-Plated Input & Output Terminals: The Arcam P429 power amplifier's unbalanced RCA inputs and binding-post speaker outputs are gold-plated for excellent signal transfer and resistance to corrosion.
- Unbalanced Stereo RCA Inputs: The Arcam P429 features four gold-plated, unbalanced stereo RCA inputs for connection to the preamp outputs on your AV processor or preamplifier.
- Binding-Post Speaker Outputs: The P429 amplifier is outfitted with a total of eight heavy-duty, gold-plated binding post speaker output terminals for connection of up to two pair of loudspeakers. The binding-post terminals will accept bare-wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Use only 4-ohm to 16-ohm speakers for Stereo and Dual Mono applications. Use only 8-ohm to 16-ohm speakers for Bridged mode applications.
Level Trim: The Trim Level controls on the back of the amplifier allow you to adjust each channel output level in order to compensate for differences in speaker output levels due to their position with the listening environment. In normal use, the Trim Level controls should be all set to the fully clockwise position.
Trigger In/Out: The Arcam P429 is equipped with a 12V trigger input and output; each consisting of a 3.5mm jack. The trigger input alls the amplifier to be remotely turn on and off by an AV processor or preamplifier with a trigger output. The amplifier's trigger output allows the P429 to control the power on/off of an additional amplifier with a trigger input.
RS232 Port: The RS232 port is for optional connection to a home automation system or personal computer. Various third-party systems (such as Crestron and AMX) are available and sold separately that provide sophisticated control over your home entertainment system.
IP Control (via Ethernet): The Arcam P429 features an Ethernet (RJ45) port and can be connected to your home's network router, so that it can be controlled and monitored remotely from your computer's web browser.
Firmware & Software Downloads (via USB): The firmware in the Arcam AV processor can be updated from a USB thumbdrive containing firmware update files. You can download the latest firmware file, together with upgrading instructions, from the Arcam website (www.arcam.co.uk). Firmware & software downloads are not supported over a network connection.
Note: This USB port only supports firmware & software downloads via a USB thumbdrive. It does not support connection of computers, USB hubs, card-readers, Apple iOS devices, or Android devices.