About the Arcam PA240
Two channels of power for your sound system
Two channels of power for your sound system
If you're using power-hungry speakers in your two-channel sound system, the Arcam PA240 can feed them the watts they need. It gives you plenty of volume for music listening, and it excels at controlling the stop-start motion of your speakers' drivers. That precise control enhances accuracy, deepens bass, and helps create a realistic soundstage.
The PA240 can also be used to drive a pair of speakers in a surround sound system. The Arcam AV860, for example, offers balanced and unbalanced front left (FL) and front right (FR) outputs that can be connected to inputs on the PA240.
Versatile Class G amplifier
The engineers who designed the PA240 wanted it to provide the right amount of power at the right time, so your music always sounds exactly as it should. That's why they chose a Class G amplifier design, which uses Class A circuitry for low-level signals, then kicks in a higher-voltage power supply for more demanding dynamic peaks. And it does it without adding any crossover distortion or noise.
The PA240 offers unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR inputs for connecting to a preamp, plus one pair of unbalanced passive outputs. An RS232 input allows third-party remote control, and an Ethernet port lets you connect to the internet and works with home automation. There's 12-volt trigger input and output for remote turn-on and a USB Type-A port for firmware updates.
- 225 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.2% THD with 2 channels driven
- 380 watts per channel into 4 ohms
- efficient high-voltage Class G amplifier
- toroidal power transformer for low noise and high-current output
- switchable gain: 25/31dB (31dB is default setting)
- 1 pair of balanced XLR preamp inputs
- switchable RCA/XLR input mode
- 1 pair of unbalanced RCA preamp outputs
- L/R speaker outputs with binding-post connectors
- USB Type-A port for firmware updates
- RS-232 and Ethernet ports for control via third-party automation systems
- 12-volt trigger input and output
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-1/16"W x 7"H x 16-3/4"D
- weight: 39.6 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARCPA240AM
What's in the box:
- Stereo power amplifier
- 5' AC power cord
- "Thank You" letter
- Registration Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Arcam PA240
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||225|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||380|
|Bridged Power per Channel||790 watts|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||1|
|Input Type||RCA, XLR|
High Performance Class G Power Amplifier: The Arcam PA240 is a high-performance power amplifier that delivers two channels of efficient Class G amplification. With an impressive 380W per channel, the PA240 is designed to offer the greatest flexibility and power without compromising on control. Featuring the best-in-class components including a toroidal based power supply, acoustically damped chassis, paralleled transistor output stages and exceptionally low levels of distortion, the PA240 masters the reproduction of music with all its originality and detail for an unmatched level of sound quality and clarity that truly brings your music to life.
- Stereo: This is the standard stereo amplification mode using two separate preamp inputs driving two separate speaker outputs. You can connect up to two 4 to 16-ohm loudspeakers. In stereo mode, the PA240 delivers 380 watts per channel.
- Dual Mono: This mode allows two separate loudspeakers to be driven from a single preamp input. You can connect up to two 4 to 16-ohm loudspeakers. In this mode, the PA240 delivers 380 watts per channel. Alternatively the two drivers of a single 4 to 16-ohm speaker can be bi-amped from one PA240 for 790 watts to a single loudspeaker.
- Bridged Mono: This mode uses both channels of the PA240 to drive a single loudspeaker. This the ultimate in high power and high fidelity amplification. You can connect one 8 to 16-ohm speaker. In Bridged Mono mode, the PA240 delivers 790 watts x 1 channel.
Class G Amplification: The PA420 power amplifier utilizes Arcam's latest generation Class G amplifier topology that is both clever and efficient. Class G amplification implements multiple power supplies (in this case a toroidal based) rather than just a single supply. If a dynamic signal is received that goes beyond the capability of the first power supply, the secondary supply is gradually brought in up to full rated power output as required. This gives a very efficient design as additional power is only used when required. Modern high speed silicon allows Arcam to make this switch faster than would ever be required, even way beyond the audio bandwidth, so there is no lag in power. The first power supply is of lower power and within this region Arcam runs in pure Class A, which has no crossover distortion. As the secondary supply is only used when required, extreme levels of power are possible because very little energy is wasted in the amplifier as heat when it is not being used. Without control this power would be ill-used, so multiple output devices within the amplifier keep a tight grip on the loudspeaker at all times, ensuring your listening experience never lacks dynamics and detail.
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Audio Inputs: The Arcam PA240 is equipped with both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analog audio inputs. The balanced XLR inputs provide a higher quality connection with improved sound quality. The balanced XLR inputs guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising the sound.
- Input Switch: There is an input switch on the back of the power amplifier that allows you to indicate what input type (XLR or RCA) you'll be using. The XLR and RCA inputs cannot be used simultaneously.
- Gain Switch: There is also a Gain Input switch on the back panel that allows the gain to be changed from standard Arcam gain of 31dB (which matches all Arcam amplifiers and receivers) to 26dB. This allows flexibility to connect multiple PA240 amplifiers in different modes to multiple speakers. In normal set-ups this switch should be left at 31dB.
Unbalanced Analog Audio Outputs: The unbalanced analog stereo RCA audio outputs provide a copy of the audio signal from the power amplifier's unbalanced analog stereo RCA audio inputs (not the balanced XLR inputs). This is a passive output with no additional filtering or amplification required.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The Arcam PA240 is equipped with heavy-duty binding post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, or banana plugs (single only). You can connect up to two 4 to 16-ohm loudspeakers in Stereo or Dual Mono mode, or one 8 to 16-ohm speaker in Bridged Mono mode.
Mute: The speaker outputs of the PA240 can be silenced by pressing the MUTE button on either the front-panel of the power amplifier or by sending the relevent command via either RS-232 or network.
Custom Integration Control: The RS-232C port and Etherent (RJ-45) jack allow for remote control from a 3rd party home automation system or computer. Various 3rd party systems are available providing sophisticated control of the Arcam PA240 power amplifier.
Note: By default, the Ethernet jack and RS-232C port is disabled in standby to minimize power consumption. Enabling network or RS-232 control will increase standby power consumption.
Trigger In/Out: The Arcam PA240 is outfitted with a trigger input (3.5mm) and trigger output (3.5mm). The trigger input allows the PA240 to be turned on/off by an external source with a trigger output. The trigger output allows the PA240 to power on/off a connected source with a trigger input.
USB Port For Firmwware Updates: The Arcam PA240 is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port for installing firmware and software updates. Go to the PA240 webpage on the Arcam website to download the latest firmware and software updates onto a USB thumbdrive.
Note: This USB port only supports firmware & software downloads via a USB thumbdrive. It does not support connection of computers, USB hubs, card-readers, Apple iOS devices, or Android devices.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Arcam PA240 comes with a detachable 5' AC power cord that plugs into the back of the power amplifier and into the AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Auto Standby: The Arcam PA240 will enter standby mode if there is no user interaction and no audio input signal detected for an extended period of time (default is 20 minutes).