About the Arcam rPhono
A compact and versatile phono stage
A compact and versatile phono stage
The Arcam rPhono preamplifier is compact, and loaded with features that make your vinyl listening experience sound amazing. Dip switches on the back of the chassis let you make fine adjustments to input capacitance, impedance, and gain, so you can dial in optimum settings for your moving magnet or moving coil cartridge of choice. And put away that ballpoint pen or unbent paper clip — Arcam includes a convenient tool that makes switch flipping a safe and simple task.
Attention to detail
As soon as you look at the back of the rPhono, you can see that there are separate RCA inputs for turntables with moving magnet or moving coil cartridges. Once you make that big choice, you can set about choosing the perfect settings to get the best sound out of your specific cartridge.
For moving coil cartridges, input impedance can be set at a fixed 47k ohms, or up to 550 ohms, and you can choose a gain setting of 60, 70, 80, even 85dB. If you have a moving magnet cartridge, your input capacitance settings are 120, 220, 340 or 440 pF, with gain between 30-52 dB. There's also a defeatable rumble filter that eliminates subsonic noise.
- compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- separate RCA stereo inputs for turntables with moving magnet or moving coil cartridges
- single RCA stereo output
- adjust input capacitance or input impedance with rear-mounted dip switches
- moving coil specs:
- input impedance: 50-550 ohms
- system gain: 60, 70, 80, or 82dB
- THD: 0.005%
- moving magnet specs:
- fixed 47k ohm impedance
- input capacitance: 120, 220, 340 or 440pF
- system gain: 30, 40, 50, or 52dB
- THD: 0.0015%
- defeatable rumble filter eliminates subsonic noise
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 7-11/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 4-13/16"D
- weight: 2.42 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARC-RPHONO
What's in the box:
- Phono preamp
- AC power adapter (attached 59" DC cord)
- 4 AC plugs (US/EU/AU/UK)
- 42" Stereo RCA cable
- Connections and Quickstart Guide
- "Thank You" Letter
Arcam rPhono reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Arcam rPhono
Phono Preamp: The ARCAM rPhono is designed specifically to replace an built-in phono amplifier or to add a turntable connection to your existing amplifier. The rPhono comes housed in a stylish, yet rugged cast aluminum case that is compact.
Low Noise Design: The rPhono benefits from ARCAM's more than forty years of analogue audio expertise and uses the finest quality parts in a layout that is optimized for low noise and minimum distortion. The multi-layer PCB allows ARCAM designers to maximize the quality of the ground plane so that interference between components is further reduced. The use of multiple, low-noise, individually regulated power supplies ensures the rPhono delivers the cleanest signal to the audiophile quality output stage.
MM or MC Compatible: Featuring a wealth of features specifically designed for optimal matching of your turntable's cartridge, the rPhono is the perfect solution for the vinyl lover. Moving coil users benefit from precision impedance matching using high-quality trimmers instead of discrete steps, while moving magnet users have a wide variety of capacitance options.
- Input Loading Resistance: The MC input resistive loading can be adjusted between 50 and 550Ω to best match the specifications of your MC cartridge. The left and right channel should be adjusted to the same value.
- Input Loading Capacitance: The input loading capacitance can be set to 120, 220, 340 or 440pF to best match the specifications of your MM or MC cartridge. The left and right channel should be adjusted to the same value.
- Gain Level: An MM input gain of 30, 40, 50 or 52dB can be selected to best match your turntable and amplifier setup. The MC input has a fixed gain of 30dB in addition to the values selected above.
Precision RIAA & Rumble Filter: Precision components give excellent RIAA response, while a selectable low frequency "rumble" filter eliminates the effects of warping or pressing irregularities, which can be present on some vinyl.
Stereo Analog RCA Inputs & Output: The ARCAM rPhono features a dedicated set of stereo analog RCA inputs for turntables with MM and MC cartridges. The rPhono also has a stereo analog RCA output to connect to a stereo line-level input on your AV receiver, stereo receiver, integrated amplifier, or powered speakers.
Note: Make sure that the rPhono input is correctly selected using the MM/MC switch.
Rear-Panel Controls: The rPhono features a variety of controls located on the rear of the unit. The rear-panel controls include an MM/MC switch, Rumble Filter, Gain Level, Input Loading Resistance, and Input Loading Capacitance.
Power Requirements: The included AC power adapter (w/ attached 59" DC cord) plugs into the ARCAM rPhono and into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately).