About the Arcam rPLAY
Add wireless music to your classic home stereo
The high-grade internal DAC and circuitry ensure your music sounds its best.
Add wireless music to your classic home stereo
High-end audio fans like us are an interesting bunch. We have our tried-and-true gear that we always want to hold on to — but we also crave access to the latest technologies and music services. The Arcam rPLAY wireless streamer helps bridge the gap.
It includes both DTS Play-Fi® and Apple AirPlay. That gives you wireless access to a huge selection of music, all controlled with your phone, tablet, or laptop. A choice of digital and analog outputs ensure your tunes sound their best through your existing stereo gear — whether it's old-school or brand new.
DTS Play-Fi gives you tons of music choices
The rPLAY connects to your home network via Wi-Fi® or Ethernet. Once connected, Play-Fi gives you easy access to music stored on your computers, music servers, and mobile devices — including high-quality lossless files. The system's compatible with major music services, such as TIDAL, Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Amazon Music and iHeartRadio. And you can also enjoy SiriusXM if you have a subscription.
A multi-room music system with flexibility
Play-Fi is also a flexible whole-home audio system. While you stream a laid-back playlist on the rPLAY through your big living-room speakers, the kids can thump out uptempo tracks on a DTS Play-Fi speaker in the basement. Or play the same song through both. This Arcam product will work with other Play-Fi devices from other manufacturers, so you can mix and match.
Set up and control Play-Fi on your phone, tablet, or laptop
Download the free DTS Play-Fi app, and you're ready to use the rPLAY in mere minutes. It's available for Android®, iOS®, and Kindle Fire, along with Windows® PC operating systems. Use the app to select music, control playback, and adjust volume.
- built-in Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- add wireless music streaming to a home theater receiver or powered speaker system
- built-in TI PCM 5102 digital-to-analog converter for high-fidelity stereo sound
- Apple AirPlay® lets you stream music directly from your iPhone® or iPad®
- allows the rPLAY to communicate with other compatible Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- plays music stored on network hard drives and computers
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- play the same music in multiple rooms simultaneously, or different songs in each room
- easy wireless setup from your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- can be controlled via DTS Play-Fi app (free download from Apple App Store® and Google Play)
- two pairs of unbalanced stereo RCA outputs (fixed and variable)
- coaxial digital (S/PDIF) audio output
- USB Type A port for software updates
- Ethernet port for wired connection to a home network
- requires AC power (adapter included)
- 802.11g/n Wi-Fi router required for multi-room streaming
- works with 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz routers
- frequency response: 10Hz-20kHz
- total harmonic distortion: 0.0007%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 117 dB
- 7-5/8"W x 1-3/4"H x 5"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARC-RPLAY
What's in the box:
- Music streamer
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- 4 AC power plugs (US/EU/AU/UK)
- 42" Stereo RCA cable
- 42" Coaxial digital cable
- 20" Ethernet cable
- Connections and Quickstart Guide
- "Thank You" Letter
More details on the Arcam rPLAY
rPlay Music Streamer: The ARCAM rPlay Music Streamer allows you to add playback of online music services, internet radio, and network music libraries to your existing home audio system using DTS Play-Fi, Apple Airplay, and UPnP. It features both analog and digital audio outputs to connect to your existing audio system.
Low-Noise Design: The rPlay benefits from Arcam's more than twenty years of digital audio expertise and use the finest quality parts in a layout that is optimized for low noise and minimum distortion. The four-layer PCB allows ARCAM designers to maximize the quality of the ground plane in order to further reduce interference between components. The use of multiple low noise individually regulated power supplies ensures the rPlay delivers the cleanest signal to the audiophile quality output stage.
High Resolution DAC: The ARCAM rPlay utilizes high-end audio circuitry and components, including a high-end PCM 5102 DAC, to convert your network and online music to a line-level output for connection to your home audio system. This high-resolution DAC supports MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV audio files (up to 24-bit/192kHz).
- Files up to 16-bit/48kHz are streamed without compression or transcoding. High resolution audio files (24-bit/192kHz), are down-sampled to 16-bit/48kHz for transmission. This allows for the most reliable streaming experience over WiFi to multiple speakers.
- For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode in the DTS Play-Fi app will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, without down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The ARCAM rPlay is equipped with Ethernet (RJ45) jack and built-in 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) for a wired or wireless connection to your network router (a WiFi-N router is recommended for wireless connection). Either network connection allows you to enjoy internet radio and online music services via DTS Play-Fi, your iTunes music library and music apps on your Apple iOS device vi AirPlay, as well as music content stored on your local network computer or NAS drive using UPnP. Wireless network setup can be done using WPS (WiFi Protected Setup), AirPlay (for Apple iOS users only), or DTS Play-Fi app (for Apple iOS, Android, & Windows PC).
DTS Play-Fi: DTS Play-Fi combines DTS and WiFi to wirelessly stream high quality audio through out your home using the Play-Fi App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) or the Play-Fi App (for Windows PC 7-up). Supported music formats up to 24-bit/96kHz (including MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV) are wirelessly streamed to the player at up to 24-bit/192kHz (Critical Listening Mode) or to multiple DTS Play-Fi players and speakers up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). You can connect multiple DTS Play-Fi products together from different brands and manufacturers on the same home network to create a whole-home streaming experience. Play the same source in every room or a different song in each room. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router. Compatible sources include -
- Online Music Services: DTS Play-Fi enables wireless audio streaming from the world's most popular music services & internet radio, including - Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, & more.
- Apple iOS & Android Music Libraries: DTS Play-Fi provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from your Apple iOS or Android device running the Play-Fi app to the ARCAM rPlay music streamer.
- Computer Audio & UPnP: DTS Play-Fi also provides you with the ability to stream your music wirelessly in high-quality lossless audio from your Windows laptop or desktop computer, as well as UPnP-servers on your existing home WiFi network to the ARCAM rPlay through the Play-Fi app on your Windows PC (7-up).
- Up to eight separate wireless source devices, each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices.
- All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more components, or choosing more than one audio brand (like ARCAM, Onkyo, Integra, Klipsch, MartinLogan, McIntosh, Paradigm, Phorus, Polk Audio, Wren, and more) in your home.
AirPlay Compatible: The ARCAM rPlay music streamer is compatible with Apple's AirPlay technology. With AirPlay, the rPlay can connect wirelessly to any AirPlay-enabled Apple device. This allows you to stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, or your computer's (Mac or PC) iTunes library; via your WiFi network.
- iTunes Streaming: The rPlay music streamer is able to stream audio from your computer's iTunes account via AirPlay technology. When connected to the same network as a computer running iTunes, the rPlay can appear as an output option in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the iTunes window. You can then browse your iTunes collection on your computer & stream music to the ARCAM music streamer. You will need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to the same network as the rPlay.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the ARCAM rPlay. You will need an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 4.3.3 or later) connected to the same network as the rPlay.
- Apple Remote App: Using the Apple Remote App (free download from iTunes) on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad and your wireless home network, you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles & artist info on your Apple device. You will need an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 7.0 or later) connected to the same wireless network as the rPlay.
UPnP Compatible: The ARCAM rPlay music streamer can be used as an UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) Client through the DTS Play-Fi App (for Apple iOS and Android). Being a UPnP Client means it can connect to UPnP servers on a network and browse and playback their music content. Most operating systems and/or music playback software now feature UPnP server facilities built-in. This allow you to share the music on the computer's hard-drive with Clients, such as the rPlay. Your music library can include digital music located anywhere on your home network such as shared folders on your own computer (Windows or Mac), shared folders on another computer on your network, or music stored on a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device on your network. Using UPnP, the rPlay network player can connect to these devices and stream non-DRM music files via the network to your home entertainment system. UPnP connection supports MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV audio files (up to 24-bit/192kHz).
Note: Not all servers will support UPnP or all audio formats. Always make sure the server you choose also supports your formats of choice. For example, Windows Media Server does not currently serve FLAC format.
Fixed & Variable Analog Output: The rPlay is equipped with dedicated Fixed and Variable stereo analog outputs. Use the Fixed line-level outputs when connecting to an AV receiver or integrated amplifier. Use the Variable line-level outputs when connecting to a power amplifier. The Variable line-level output volume is adjusted by pressing the volume up (+) and down (-) buttons on the top-panel. Pressing both volume buttons at the same time will cause the output to mute. This volume control does not affect the fixed line-level and digital outputs of the rPlay.
Coaxial Digital Output: You can also choose to bypass the DAC inside the ARCAM rPlay and connect the music streamer to your AV receiver or integrated amplifier via the unit's coaxial digital output.
Power Requirements: The included AC power adapter (w/ attached 59" DC cord) plugs into the ARCAM rPlay and into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Compact Aluminum Chassis: The ARCAM rPlay music streamer comes housed in a stylish, yet rugged cast aluminum case that is compact.