About the Arcam SA30
A powerful, sophisticated amp
A powerful, sophisticated amp
This is the kind of amp I'd like to build a good two-channel system around. The Arcam SA30 has enough power — 120 watts per channel — to deliver detailed sound at any volume level. The beefy toroidal power transformer inside offers high-current output with very low noise, which is crucial for serious music listening.
And it's versatile. Processor Mode lets you connect a separate surround sound receiver or pre/pro and use the SA30 as a straight power amp for your front left and right home theater channels. Analog Direct mode lets you bypass all digital circuitry for the classic, warm analog hi-fi experience.
Multiple streaming options
The SA30 has built-in Wi-Fi for connecting to your wireless home network, which opens up fun possibilities for streaming music via online music services and internet radio stations. Apple AirPlay® 2 lets you stream easily from a Mac®, iPod®, or iPad®. And there's Chromecast built-in for wireless music streaming from compatible devices.
It's also a Roon endpoint, which gives you access to the subscription service's informative and appealing interface and high sound quality. The amplifier's uPnP (Universal Plug and Play) capability lets you access high-res files from a networked hard drive.
Dial in great sound with Dirac Live®
Arcam has built impressive Dirac Live room correction into home theater receivers for a while now. The SA30 is the first time I've seen it included in a two-channel amp. It "listens" to your room using a supplied calibration microphone and creates an EQ curve to fine-tune the output from your speakers and subwoofers based on the unique characteristics of your space. The resulting sound is more realistic and transparent, with tighter bass and reduced room effects.
Versatile Class G amplifier
The engineers who designed the SA30 wanted it to provide the right amount of power at the right time, so your music always sounds exactly as it should. That's why they chose a Class G amplifier, which uses Class A circuitry for low-level signals, then kicks in a higher-voltage power supply for more demanding dynamic peaks. And it does it without adding any crossover distortion or noise.
The SA30 gives you plenty of options for connecting music sources. There are two Toslink optical digital inputs and two coaxial digital inputs on the back, along with three stereo analog RCA aux inputs. For vinyl enthusiasts, there are two phono inputs — one for turntables with moving magnet phono cartridges and one for moving coil.
- 120 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.5% THD
- efficient high-voltage Class G amplifier
- THD: 0.002% (80% power, 8 ohms at 1kHz)
- built-in high-performance ESS 9038K2M Sabre DAC
- toroidal power transformer for low noise and high-current output
- Analog Direct mode bypasses all digital circuitry
- Dirac Live® for Arcam room correction for smooth, well-balanced sound (microphone included)
- 3 Dirac EQ profiles with assignable input
- cannot be applied when using Analog Direct mode
- Processor Mode lets you connect to a surround sound receiver or pre/pro and use the SA30 as a power amp
- remote control included
- built-in Wi-Fi for connection to a wireless home network
- compatible with high-res FLAC and MQA files
- Apple AirPlay® 2 for streaming content from iPod, iPad or Mac
- Chromecast built-in for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- Roon endpoint: catalog, control, and discover music via subscription-based Roon software
- uPnP streamer: plays high-resolution digital music files from a networked storage device
- 2 optical and 2 coaxial digital audio inputs
- ARC-enabled HDMI input lets you play sound from your TV
- 3 stereo RCA audio inputs
- separate stereo RCA phono inputs for moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- Ethernet port for connecting to a home network
- RS-232 port for use with third-party control systems
- Type-A USB input plays audio files from a thumb drive
- 1 stereo RCA preamp output
- L/R speaker outputs with binding-post connectors
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-1/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 12-3/4"D
- weight: 26.4 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARCSA30US
What's in the box:
- Integrated Amplifier
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 WiFi antennas
- Setup microphone
- 6.5' miniUSB-to-USB cable
- Handbook Manual
- "Thank You" Letter
Arcam SA30 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Arcam SA30
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||130|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||200|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||112|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||4|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Class G Amplification: The SA30 integrated amplifier utilizes Arcam's latest generation Class G amplifier topology that is both clever and efficient. Class G amplification implements multiple power supplies rather than just a single supply. If a dynamic signal is received that goes beyond the capability of the first power supply, the secondary supply is gradually brought in up to full rated power output as required. This gives a very efficient design as additional power is only used when required. Modern high speed silicon allows Arcam to make this switch faster than would ever be required, even way beyond the audio bandwidth, so there is no lag in power. The first power supply is of lower power and within this region we run in pure Class A, which has no crossover distortion. As the secondary supply is only used when required, extreme levels of power are possible because very little energy is wasted in the amplifier as heat when it is not being used. Without control this power would be ill-used, so multiple output devices within the amplifier keep a tight grip on the loudspeaker at all times, ensuring your listening experience never lacks dynamics and detail.
- 8-Ohm Power Rating: 130 watts x 2 channels @ 20-20kHz into 8-ohms
- 4-Ohm Power Rating: 200 watts x 2 channels @ 20-20kHz into 4-ohms
32-Bit ESS Sabre DAC with Selectable Filters: The ARCAM SA30 integrated amplifier utilizes a 32-bit ESS Sabre DAC (ESS9038K2M) with support for 2ch PCM audio files up to 24-bit/192kHz, providing audiophile-grade high-resolution sound quality. The SA30 allows your to choose between a number of DAC filters to suit your listening preference and application. You can choose between the following -
- Brick Wall: No phase shift, but introduces both pre and post ringing artefacts.
- Apodizing (Default): A compromise between phase, frequency response and ringing. Its main advantage is that it removes most of the ringing that has been introduced upstream in the recording process when the original material was recorded and mastered.
- Corrected Minium Phas Fast Roll Off: Low pre-ringing and the phase response varies at higher frequencies. There is more post ringing compared with linear phase and apodizing filters.
- Minimum Phase Slow Roll Off: No pre-ringing artefacts but can introduce phase shifts at higher frequencies. It has less post ringing than the Minimum Phase Fast Roll Off, but this is still higher than the linear phase filter options. Very high frequencies in the last half octave of the filter pass band will be slightly attenuated.
- Minium Phas Fast Roll Off: No pre-ringing and the phase response varies at higher frequencies. There are significantly higher amounts of post ringing compared with the linear phase filter options.
- Linear Phase Slow Roll Off: Low and equal levels of pre and post ringing. No phase shifts but can introduce high frequency aliasing at a higher level than linear phase fast roll off. Very high frequencies will be slightly attenuated.
- Linear Phase Fast Roll Off: Higher and equal levels of pre and post ringing compared with linear phase slow roll off. No phase shifts and with minimal high frequency aliasing compared with slow roll off.
MQA Support: The Arcam SA30 features a full MQA decoder, which enables you to play back MQA audio files and streams, delivering the sound of the original master recording in the highest possible sound quality. At this level of playback you are hearing what was created in the studio - with precise file and platform-specific DAC compensation and management. MQA is supported via UPnP and USB.
Dirac Live Room Correction: There is a proprietary automatic loudspeaker setup function, known as Dirac Live, built into the Arcam SA30. Using a computer application (for Windows & Mac), Dirac Live attempts to set all the essential speaker settings for all the speakers in your system. It also calculates room equalization (Room EQ) filter values to remove some of the worst effects of resonant frequencies in the listening room. The integrated amplifier comes with a calibration microphone which should be inserted into the microphone input of the supplied USB sound card and then into a USB socket on a Windows PC or Mac computer that connected to the same network as the Arcam integrated amp and positioned at the main listening position. This microphone picks up the special calibration tones generated by the speakers when Dirac Live is run. The integrated ampthen analyses the signal and computes - Speaker Type, Speaker Distance, Speaker Level, and Room EQ. To download the Dirac Live for Arcam application (for Windows & Mac), please visit www.arcam.co.uk.
Note: You can store 3 Dirac EQ profiles and assign them to different inputs.
Analog Direct: The Analog Direct function bypasses the ADC, DSP and DAC to allow the analog signal to be sent directly to the preamp stage of the integrated amplifier for the purest signal path. Analog Direct can only be applied to the integrated amp's analog line-level and phono inputs.
HDMI eARC: The Arcam SA30 features a HDMI eARC jack for connection to your television, allowing you to listen to all of your TV's 2ch PCM sources through the integrated amplifier. The HDMI eARC jack only supports 2ch PCM audio (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS); make sure your TV is set to output 2ch PCM.
Note: The HDMI eARC jack only supports audio transmission; video is not supported.
USB-A Port: The rear-panel USB-A port (5V/1A) supports playback of a variety of music files store on a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, such as a thumbdrive or HDD (hard disk drive). An external HDD will require a separate AC power supply. Supported music files include MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC (up to 24-bit/96kHz); as well as MQA audio files. The USB device should be formatted in FAT 12 or FAT 32.
Note: The receiver's USB port does not support USB hubs, card readers, Apple iOS device, or Android OS devices.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The ARCAM SA30 offers two optical (toslink) digital inputs and two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs for connection of a Blu-ray player, TV, or game console. The digital inputs support 2ch PCM only (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS). The optical digital inputs support 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz sampling frequencies; while the coaxial digital inputs support 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz sampling frequencies.
Analog Inputs: The Arcam SA30 integrated amplifier is outfitted with linel-level, Aux, and phono inputs.
- Line-Level Inputs: The SA30 integrated amplifier is equipped with three line-level, analog RCA inputs for connection of CD player, tape-deck and AM/FM tuner. The RCA inputs are gold-plated for excellent audio signal transfer.
- Front-Panel Aux Input: A front-panel 3.5mm Aux input provides convenient connection of a portable audio player, smartphone, or tablet with a headphone jack output.
- Phono Inputs: The ARCAM SA30 integrated amplifier is equipped with a switchable Phono MM input and a Phono MC input for connection of a turntable with a MM or MC cartridge. The Phono input is gold-plated for excellent audio signal transfer.
Note: Processor mode can be assigned to any one of the line-level inputs. In this mode, the SA30 is set to a fixed level. You can specify the required volume level for the processor mode input.
Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: The ARCAM SA30 integrated amplifier is outfitted with a set of binding-post terminals to connect a pair of loudspeakers. These binding-post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). You will need to remove the plastic inserts from the binding-post terminals to use banana plugs. The binding-post terminals are gold-plated for excellent audio signal transfer.
1/8" Headphone Jack: There is a 1/8" (3.5mm) headphone jack on the front-panel which allows connection of a set of headphones so you can enjoy listening to your music privately. The unit supports headphones with an impedance rating between 16 ohm and 2,000 ohm, Connecting a set of headphones will automatically mute the integrated amplifier's speaker outputs and pre-outs (you can turn this feature off).
Pre-Amplifier Output: The integrated amplifier has a set of stereo RCA pre-out that let you use the SA30 as a dedicated pre-amplifier or as part of a bi-amplified system.
Max Net Volume: The Max Net Volume function limits the maximum volume setting the SA30 can be turned up to for streamed audio content. This is a useful feature to prevent accidental overdriving of low power-handling speakers, or to prevent volume being accidently set to maximum using streaming app volume sliders. It is stored in memory and recalled each time the unit is powered up.
Wired & Wireless Network Connectivity: The Arcam SA30 supports a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection. The SA30 is equipped with an RJ-45 LAN jack for a wired connection to your network router. It also offers built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11ac) for a wireless connection to your network router. By connecting the integrated amplifier to your network, you gain access to Internet Radio (vTuner), Chromecast built-in music apps, Apple AirPlay 2 for iOS devices, and UPnP audio file sharing.
Note: Make sure to connect the two included WiFi antennas when setting up a wireless network connection.
Internet Radio (vTuner): You can also listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this receiver, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, or Podcast. You can store internet radio stations in a "Favorites" folder for easy access later.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Arcam SA30. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Arcam SA30 receiver.
- Online Music & Internet Radio: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the Mu-So 2 speaker. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio Distribution: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers and components (sold separately) throughout your home to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Google Assistant Voice Control: Purchase a Google Assistant enabled smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The SA30 receiver and your Google Assistant smart speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service.
- Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
- A separate Google Assistant smart speaker (sold separately) is required for voice control. You will also need to agree to Google's Privacy Statement to use voice control.
- MQA is not supported by Chromecast built-in's version of Tidal.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the integrated amplifier and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the integrated amplifier. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the integrated amplifier.
UPnP (Universal Plug and Play): With a network connection, you'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the Arcam receiver using the free Music Life App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+). For playback from a network device, the network device needs to be running a universal plug and play (UPnP) service, such as Windows Media Player 11. Other free and paid-for UPnP services are available for other computer operating systems. Some network attached storage (NAS) systems include a built-in version of a UPnP service. You also get to stream content stored on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device to the Arcam integrated amp using the MusicLife app. Supported music files include MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC ( up to 24-bit/96kHz); as well as MQA audio files.
Note: Your music library must be stored physically on your computer or mobile device, not on a Cloud service.
Roon Ready: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across all other Roon enabled audio devices in your home. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also watch your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with all the Roon enabled devices around your house. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Arcam SA30 or other Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Arcam SA30. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or turnkey appliance (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
Front-Panel Display: The front-panel display indicates source selection and menu settings. You can adjust the brightness level the front-panel display to "Full", "Dim", or "Off".
IR Remote with Backlight: The included IR remote is pre-programmed to operate the SA30 integrated amplifier and an Arcam CD player. It can also be programmed to operate other components. The remote supports up to eight devices. A backlight comes on for eight seconds whenever a key is pressed. This helps you use the remote in low lighting conditions.
MusicLife App: The free Music Life App for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) allows you to wirelessly stream music stored on your computer and your compatible smartphone or tablet device to the Arcam integrated amplifier, as well control playback from your mobile device. You'll be able to effortlessly stream music stored on your Windows PC, Mac computer, NAS drive, or other UPnP compliant device directly to the Arcam receiver and control playback from the MusicLife app on your compatible mobile device. You also get to stream content stored on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device to the Arcam receiver using the MusicLife app with playback control functions.
Note: Your music library must be stored physically on your computer or mobile device, not on a Cloud service.
IP Control: When connected to your network via Ethernet, you can control select functions of the Arcam integrated amplifier with the IP control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, or Safari 7.x is recommended for web browser. IP Control can be set to to work even when the receiver is in Standby (Off) mode).
RS232 Port: The integrated amplifier is equipped with an RS232 Port that can be used to connect external control devices from Crestron and Control4(sold separately).
Auto Standby: The integrated amplifier is designed to enter a low power standby mode if no user interaction and no audio input signal are detected for an extended period of time (default time is 20 minutes). The unit can be brought out of standby by either turning the volume knob on the front panel in either direction or by pressing the key on the remote control. The amount of time before the unit enters standby is configurable in the setup menu.
Firmware & Software Downloads: The firmware in the Arcam integrated amplifier can be updated from a USB thumbdrive containing firmware update files. You can download the latest firmware file, together with upgrading instructions, from the Arcam website (www.arcam.co.uk). Firmware & software downloads are not supported over a network connection.
Note: Updating will clear your Dirac Live setup, but it is ok to reload a project from Dirac Live application on your Windows PC or Mac computer.
1 question already asked